Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light Online Co-Op Delayed

Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is scheduled to launch on the Xbox 360 in a little over a week as part of the Summer of Arcade promotion on Xbox Live, while the PS3 and PC (via Steam) versions will be out on September 28th. It may look like the PS3 and PC players are getting a lousy deal with the later launch date. However, that 360 version of the game will launch without a key gameplay feature that will eventually be present in the other versions of the game: online co-op.  

Developer Crystal Dynamics has confirmed to Joystiq that Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light will not initially ship with its online co-op functionality. While the game does still support offline co-op, players who buy Lara Croft on the 360 will have to wait until September 28--the launch date of the other two versions--for the free patch that will enable online co-op support. Those other versions of Guardian of Light will launch with the online co-op in the download, so only the 360 release looks to be affected by the delay of this feature. 

Your thousand-year-old guardian friend can still play with you, but he'll need to be on your couch.

When was the last time you can remember online play being patched into a game post-release? I remember when Fable II had its co-op mode added through a day-one (or close to launch day) patch, but that was hardly as integral a feature to that game as the designed-for-multiplayer co-op action in Guardian of Light. We'll see if Lara Croft's downloadable debut still stands up without its online mode when it launches on the 360 on August 18.
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is scheduled to launch on the Xbox 360 in a little over a week as part of the Summer of Arcade promotion on Xbox Live, while the PS3 and PC (via Steam) versions will be out on September 28th. It may look like the PS3 and PC players are getting a lousy deal with the later launch date. However, that 360 version of the game will launch without a key gameplay feature that will eventually be present in the other versions of the game: online co-op.  

Developer Crystal Dynamics has confirmed to Joystiq that Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light will not initially ship with its online co-op functionality. While the game does still support offline co-op, players who buy Lara Croft on the 360 will have to wait until September 28--the launch date of the other two versions--for the free patch that will enable online co-op support. Those other versions of Guardian of Light will launch with the online co-op in the download, so only the 360 release looks to be affected by the delay of this feature. 

Your thousand-year-old guardian friend can still play with you, but he'll need to be on your couch.

When was the last time you can remember online play being patched into a game post-release? I remember when Fable II had its co-op mode added through a day-one (or close to launch day) patch, but that was hardly as integral a feature to that game as the designed-for-multiplayer co-op action in Guardian of Light. We'll see if Lara Croft's downloadable debut still stands up without its online mode when it launches on the 360 on August 18.
#2 Edited by Wraxend (551 posts) -

Was looking forward to this :( 
Didn't realise how long i would have to wait on the PS3
#3 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Will be buying it for sure on Steam! Boobies... just kidding.

#4 Posted by adamfedoruk (215 posts) -

thats kinda a bummer

#5 Posted by Ubiquitous (571 posts) -

OH NOESSS .... ? oh wait... I don't care in the least. 

HOORAYY!

#6 Posted by Zidane_24 (738 posts) -

Ick. May just wait on the purchase then, if the game's good. We'll see.
#7 Posted by lordgodalming (164 posts) -

Wasn't co-op like half the draw of this new style of Tomb Raider?

#8 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

o well.

#9 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

So it's exclusive for a month and even then you can't play it co-op?

Did it really need to be in the summer of Arcade?

#10 Edited by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

Will that native character be AI controlled if you play it by your lonesome? Can you switch between them?

#11 Posted by YukoAsho (2001 posts) -

Wow, that looks like a pretty big FU to Microsoft.  Release a gimped version to take advantage of the Summer of Arcade instead of actually getting things right?

Yeah, I'll just get this on Steam, thanks.

#12 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Then they should push the game back

#13 Posted by bhhawks78 (1202 posts) -

Hmmm online co op not in at first and already announcing three dlc packs that will probably be overpriced.  Can't wait to download the demo play it for 2 min laugh at it being bad then delete it forrrever.

#14 Posted by Pkshields (810 posts) -

I don't mind much. I was planning on getting it on PS3 but I didn't know I'd have to wait so long. Going to play through it all on co-op anyway.

#15 Posted by ajamafalous (11845 posts) -

That seems poorly conceived.

#16 Posted by Salyermonkey (11 posts) -

No online co-op doesn't bother me in the slighest. Offline same couch co-op is a million times more fun and there are very few games these days that let you do that.

#17 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -

When exclusive release dates start to hurt a game then you are doing it wrong publishers.

#18 Posted by Sadisticham (278 posts) -

Lost yourself a customer then. At least till sept and even then i suspect I'll have something else to play.

#19 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

That's the exact thing that would make an otherwise mediocre game a little better. 
Not very smart, Crystal Dynamics.
#20 Posted by cikame (967 posts) -

...why?

#21 Posted by TimFReilly (98 posts) -

Couch co-op is what this game is for.

#22 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

Trine didn't have online co-op either.  You'd think in this day and age that if somebody is making a game where co-op is a big deal, making sure it works online would be be a pretty high priority.

If they're dropping something that important to meet their Summer of Arcade date, how rushed is the rest of it going to feel?

#23 Posted by MrHammeh (199 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" That seems poorly conceived. "
Very much so considering its a Summer of Arcade release. 
#24 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

This is gonna hurt their sales a bit, since they've been touting the online co-op as a major feature since day 1.

#25 Edited by ProfessorEss (7274 posts) -

I can't imagine Microsoft is particularly pleased about this.
Curious how many XBLA purchases they're gonna lose as a result of this.   

I'll wait for online co-op to buy it but by then, who knows, maybe I'll buy it on PSN instead - or more likely, I'll have just totally forgotten about it.

I hope the people involved are embarrassed, because they should be.

#26 Posted by dox (108 posts) -

I only wanted to play the local co-op anyways.  This doesn't effect me at all.

#27 Posted by skelom (46 posts) -

i wonder if this will be any decent

#28 Posted by fastidious (89 posts) -

That doesn't make much sense, why release it at all if they're going to keep the key feature back?

#29 Posted by fillmoejoe (1469 posts) -

Wait a month for a patch to play online great. 

I really thought Shank would be on the Summer of Arcade this year.

#30 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

Man, I guess the deadline wasn't met. Perhaps they don't want to sell any copies on the 360? 

I would have to say this is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard happening. 

Then again, I wouldn't play online anyway as I have a willing girlfriend who has a thing for Laura Croft. You know, because she wants to play and stuff.

#31 Posted by MushroomSamba (171 posts) -

Seems like they're rushing it out, just so Microsoft can say they did it first. Well, when the main draw of the game is frickin' coop, that's an awfully noticeable thing to leave out. Essentially, the real game will be coming out on both systems pretty much the same time. So much for "timed exclusive".

#32 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

Considering online co-op was the only reason I was interested in this game, I hardly care anymore.

#33 Posted by Bummey (604 posts) -

Color me uninterested now.

#34 Posted by Kornkaos (46 posts) -

sounds suspicious... -_-

#35 Posted by PeepingTommy (63 posts) -

I hear bungie have a game with online coop coming out around the same time. 

#36 Edited by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

I think this is going to hurt sales and maybe reviews also as the game was constantly being advertised as a coop experience. I don't know what to make of the game yet as I obviously haven't played it but this is still a shame. 

#37 Posted by RedRocketWestie (381 posts) -

Couch co-op may be better, but my primary co-op partner lives 3000 miles away, and I know I'm not alone in that. Without a good way to get a feel for the co-op in the trial, I'm skeptical that I'll *ever* buy this game.

#38 Posted by moelarrycurly (668 posts) -

Eh, doesn't bother me too much.

#39 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

That's honestly one of the stupidest things ive heard a company doing in a while. 

"yea so we're going to release this game as a part of the SUMMER OF ARCARDE!.HA!...just you only get to experience only half of the experience because we don't want to alienate the people who can't play the game on the console yet anyway" 

The real question is this. Will anyone even give a shit about the game enough to keep playing it after september 28th?
#40 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

I say that's alright! I hope its good enough to keep me playing on through.
#41 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2478 posts) -

I wonder if this means cross-platform online co-op?
cause that'd be fairly interesting...

#42 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

It not like you can play co op across the different platforms so to delay it on the 360 just to release a patch later  on to go along with the other versions make no sense. Also doesnt help that most peoples attention for arcade games lasts like a week at the most, so to release a patch adding co op a month later, no ones really gonna care.

#43 Posted by PAPI_D_187 (46 posts) -

Quite possibly the most flawed "summer of arcade" so far.

#44 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -

This doesn't bode well.

#45 Posted by TomBarbara (4 posts) -
@PeepingTommy said:
" I hear bungie have a game with online coop coming out around the same time.  "
I wonder what game that is.. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.