Abusive players

#1 Posted by ThornBlackstar (37 posts) -

I've just started at LOL, and been doing alright, haven't had people been aggressive towards me. 
But every single match, there is someone shouting "noobs" at people, or an example in my last match "burn in hell u kill stealing whore" 
And these are in beginner bot matches... What the hell is wrong with people. 
Its starting to put me off the game, are others having this problem and do riot games do anything to these people when reported? 

#2 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

Welcome to the MOBA games. If you're not joining with friends, you should expect to be called every name in the book. I don't know why but the general populous of LoL, HoN, DoTA, and even SotIS are douche bags and the reason why I've never fully got into any of these games.

#3 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -

Unfortunately if you are looking for a good community, the MOBA community (overall, not just this game) isn't one of them yet.  The games are great and all (I still find them fun despite the community), but if you are unable to ignore it and it affects your enjoyment of the games, then perhaps it's best to let it go for a bit and check back in once in a while to see if they have changed for the better.

#4 Posted by ThornBlackstar (37 posts) -

just cant understand why people wud be so agressive in a match type setup for people to learn the game.. :(

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@ThornBlackstar said:
just cant understand why people wud be so agressive in a match type setup for people to learn the game.. :(
Just report em and move on. 
#6 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Just ignore them and that ignore button they just added is a god send. We had one guy call me a nigger last game and he wanted to forfeit so to get back at him we made him play a 60 minute game. Was a good game we lost but still got back at him.

#7 Posted by CJduke (796 posts) -

I think the problem is the game is super dependent on team work. If one teammate does stupid things (feed the other team) then it can cost everyone the game. If one person plays terrible than it can make you have a bad game as well. Not to mention the games are long and if you lose you don't get very much (particularly in LoL) so I think people get pissed easily. That's not to say that they should though, I do agree a lot of people say some terrible things in LoL.

#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@CJduke said:
I think the problem is the game is super dependent on team work. If one teammate does stupid things (feed the other team) then it can cost everyone the game. If one person plays terrible than it can make you have a bad game as well. Not to mention the games are long and if you lose you don't get very much (particularly in LoL) so I think people get pissed easily. That's not to say that they should though, I do agree a lot of people say some terrible things in LoL.
This also happens in the super easy bot matches. People flip out over little stuff. 
#9 Posted by CJduke (796 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: Yeah I don't understand that at all. I also don't get why people get so angry when someone steals "their" kill. You get more gold if you get the kill, but what does it matter if your team is winning. As long as someone on your team is getting powered up then I don't see the big deal. LoL does not keep track of your KDR and you don't get anymore IP if you get lots of kills. Another thing that bothers me is when the game is clearly lost and people won't surrender. The games are long and it's quicker to surrender and get in a new game than drag out a 50 minute loss.
#10 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@CJduke said:
@The_Laughing_Man: Yeah I don't understand that at all. I also don't get why people get so angry when someone steals "their" kill. You get more gold if you get the kill, but what does it matter if your team is winning. As long as someone on your team is getting powered up then I don't see the big deal. LoL does not keep track of your KDR and you don't get anymore IP if you get lots of kills. Another thing that bothers me is when the game is clearly lost and people won't surrender. The games are long and it's quicker to surrender and get in a new game than drag out a 50 minute loss.
Cause some people get so bad( its happened to me) they hide in the grass and wait till you did the work and then do a big attack to steal the kill. Then do this maybe 10 times a match. 
#11 Posted by MaverickShin (12 posts) -

I play Dota-esque games just to mess around, so I just laugh at the ragers and if I'm feeling particularly vindictive start picking back on them. I can imagine it would get irritating if you're actually playing to be competitive, but the best you can do is plan around them being difficult glory hogs and try to make up for it.

#12 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -

Report them for Negative Attitude and move along.

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Cause some people get so bad( its happened to me) they hide in the grass and wait till you did the work and then do a big attack to steal the kill. Then do this maybe 10 times a match. 

I can understand that, but when you get a kill in a TEAM fight and people rage like they're entitled to it, what can you do then? You can't reason with imbeciles. Also, I still don't understand how people can rage about kills in bot games. First of all, it's easy to down a bot, second of all, because the number of deaths they have they won't give you more gold than killing minions... People can be such idiots.....
#13 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5152 posts) -

I think this picture is relevant here.

#14 Posted by StarvingGamer (8457 posts) -

Imagine if you were playing a pickup game of basketball, and one of the guys who got randomly thrown on your team was constantly traveling, fouling, never passed the ball, and missed every shot.

#15 Posted by TechHits (1390 posts) -
@StarvingGamer said:

Imagine if you were playing a pickup game of basketball, and one of the guys who got randomly thrown on your team was constantly traveling, fouling, never passed the ball, and missed every shot.

would you call him a kill stealing whore?
#16 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Games like these are amazing when you first play them.
Then you start to understand mechanics and you worry about the little things.

And then the fun dies for the non obsessed players.

#17 Posted by YI_Orange (1169 posts) -

Just get some to play with you. It helps a lot to even just have 1 or 2 in a 5 person game. Either that or just ignore them, they're gonna bitch at you the whole game but that's because they want to win, so they're still gonna try and play their best so you don't have to worry about rage afks or whatever most of the time.

#18 Posted by MAST (736 posts) -

Don't let it put you off of the game. You just gotta let it wash over you, as it is just an unfortunate part of this game genre that's probably never going to go away. It's a highly competitive game, where sometimes even one slight mistake can lead to you, and everyone on your team losing the match. That's why when people see you doing bad, they instantly get irate.

You wanna know what I do as soon as someone starts raging at me, or is being even slightly annoying? Do a /ignore (their name). It's really simple, and the problem is solved. Having said that, I've still made a lot of really good friends playing LoL, and now I hardly ever have to play a match with randoms. I found a group of good, friendly players of a similar skill level who don't mind if I have a bad game here or there. It's made everything much more enjoyable.

#19 Posted by StarvingGamer (8457 posts) -

@TechHits said:

@StarvingGamer said:

No but I'd probably tell him to pass the fucking ball and eventually get frustrated and yell, "what the fuck are you doing?" when he did something really dumb.

The language is different but the attitude is the same.

#20 Posted by ThornBlackstar (37 posts) -
@StarvingGamer said:

@TechHits said:

@StarvingGamer said:

No but I'd probably tell him to pass the fucking ball and eventually get frustrated and yell, "what the fuck are you doing?" when he did something really dumb.

Fair point, but do you start screaming at someone you just met the first time they foul?
#21 Posted by 1337W422102 (1018 posts) -
@ThornBlackstar said:
@StarvingGamer said:

@TechHits said:

@StarvingGamer said:

Fair point, but do you start screaming at someone you just met the first time they foul?
You could on the internet to make other people think you're INTERNET TOUGH.  In real life, that sort of assstainery doesn't quite fly, fortunately.
#22 Posted by TechHits (1390 posts) -
@StarvingGamer said:

@TechHits said:

@StarvingGamer said:

That's really not an appropriate reaction. Screaming "what the fuck are you doing" at strangers shouldn't be something you consider acceptable behavior. 
#23 Posted by Kidavenger (3599 posts) -

It's not called for, but why would you care what some random stranger in a online game thinks of you?

If it doesn't say mia in chat, I'm probably not even reading it anymore.

#24 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

i dont care about that. but of course i play a ton of LOL. although i am seriously thinking of uninstalling because i cant stand having random teammates. every game someone is going to be horrible and lose the game for their team. its a coin toss if its your team or not. it can get real frustrating going 15-2 and taking out your turret when your bottom lane is now 0-14 and lost both his turrets......

#25 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -
@tunaburn: The only viable tactic when dealing with these hipster bastards is Soraka with Rally/Fortify.
#26 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -
@Titus: also sucks when youre talking with your team during champ selection and theres that one guy that doesnt say anything. then we get 2 ap champs 1 ad champs and i get a tank then we wait for that guy to choose.... and he gets fiddlesticks... we all beg him to pick an AD champ and he locks in. then when we start to get beat he blames us for not protecting his "overpowered" champ enough......
#27 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -
@ThornBlackstar said:
I've just started at LOL, and been doing alright, haven't had people been aggressive towards me. But every single match, there is someone shouting "noobs" at people, or an example in my last match "burn in hell u kill stealing whore" And these are in beginner bot matches... What the hell is wrong with people. Its starting to put me off the game, are others having this problem and do riot games do anything to these people when reported? 
That's the norm for this kind of games, as said by everyone else.

Luckily for you people who do that are usually terrible themselves and if you just concentrate on what you are doing you can call them out on their bullshit when you do better than them. If not, who cares. Just walk along.
#28 Posted by ajamafalous (12121 posts) -

@CJduke said:

This is basically the reason, and, as others have said, this is the community for DotA, HoN, LoL, and pretty much every other MOBA ever. You've just kinda gotta ignore them and not let it get to you. Develop some thick skin.

#29 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -
@tunaburn: Locking in shouldn't even exist, to be honest. I'd rather wait an extra 25 seconds than have people just pick random shit, fucking up the game before it's even started.
#30 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1094 posts) -
@xSUFFOKATEx said:
Welcome to the MOBA games. If you're not joining with friends, you should expect to be called every name in the book. I don't know why but the general populous of LoL, HoN, DoTA, and even SotIS are douche bags and the reason why I've never fully got into any of these games.
Because unlike other genres of games in a Dota game a single bad player can and will destroy your chances of winning, you simply can't overcome the damage caused by a feeder.
#31 Posted by CrazyBagMan (856 posts) -

@jayjonesjunior said:

@xSUFFOKATEx said:
Because unlike other genres of games in a Dota game a single bad player can and will destroy your chances of winning, you simply can't overcome the damage caused by a feeder.

So tell them to be more careful, not make them want to feed out of spite.

#32 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -
@jayjonesjunior said:
@xSUFFOKATEx said:
But the abuse doesn't just stem from players feeding or making numerous mistakes, players can be abused for the most minuscule of things. You're underestimating the issue if you think it's only present due to significant mistakes.

I would encourage anyone to join the Giant Bomb chat channel in order to find fellow Duders to play with. People there are courteous and would only be too glad to help out new players.
#33 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1094 posts) -
@ChickenPants: Have you ever attacked someone verbally for no significant reason but because you were stressed or angry at an entirely different person, the DotA universe can be a very stressful environment, stay there long enough and you will begin to understand, it's nobody's fault really and it can get the better of us.
#34 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -
@jayjonesjunior: I understand the point you're making but that still only applies to a small proportion of the abuse that goes around. You hear stories about people getting abused in Beginner AI for ''stealing'' creep kills or not following someone elses prefered build and plenty of other far more inane rationale. It's just a pretty disgusting community.  It is most certainly people's fault. Frustration doesn't give you an excuse to abuse others.

I have gotten frustrated during games but I have never taken that frustration out on anyone else. What the hell's the point? It's a game and I play it to have fun. If I find myself getting to stage where I might feel I need to bitch at people I know it's time to call it a day. 

But I know that most of the people dishing out abuse aren't frustrated, they just abuse people because they can.
#35 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -
@ChickenPants: its one little click to mute people by the way. just mute as soon as they start and then keep playing. it doesnt just happen in MOBA games. try playing with random people in starcraft and see what they say if you do bad.  or try playing COD and doing bad. its the internet. get some thicker skin or get offline.
#36 Posted by SSully (4266 posts) -

@tunaburn said:

@ChickenPants: its one little click to mute people by the way. just mute as soon as they start and then keep playing. it doesnt just happen in MOBA games. try playing with random people in starcraft and see what they say if you do bad. or try playing COD and doing bad. its the internet. get some thicker skin or get offline.

That's true, but it is particularly bad on MOBA games. I just started playing LoL after hearing ryan talk about it on the podcast and I have played 1 game of PVP where I didn't have one teammate that didn't insult me or another member of my team, the rest have all had multiple insults being thrown around. I personally don't give a fuck and actually mess with the people insulting me, but I can see it turning some people off from the game.

#37 Posted by Kidavenger (3599 posts) -

@SSully said:

@tunaburn said:

@ChickenPants: its one little click to mute people by the way. just mute as soon as they start and then keep playing. it doesnt just happen in MOBA games. try playing with random people in starcraft and see what they say if you do bad. or try playing COD and doing bad. its the internet. get some thicker skin or get offline.

That's true, but it is particularly bad on MOBA games. I just started playing LoL after hearing ryan talk about it on the podcast and I have played 1 game of PVP where I didn't have one teammate that didn't insult me or another member of my team, the rest have all had multiple insults being thrown around. I personally don't give a fuck and actually mess with the people insulting me, but I can see it turning some people off from the game.

I'm surprised you are seeing this at such a low level, when I started, nobody really knew what they were doing and nobody really seemed to care at all until level +20.

I'm only at level 28 now and I don't see a whole lot of it, mostly assumed this behavior is in random ranked matches.

#38 Posted by onarum (2225 posts) -

Every time I hear something like this I get tempted to install this game just so I can play as bad as possible to piss those idiots off, I just don't do it because I hate "MOBA" games, so boring.

#39 Posted by Mariek430 (409 posts) -

If you're trying to learn last hitting, especially last hitting at your tower, just make a 1v1 against a bot. Only thing to really take away from bots matches are how to last hit, and jungle routes for quickest ganks. Enough bot games will give you really bad habits. Since they never leave a lane, get dragon, red/blue, and baron.

Also carries probably get pissed if someone jack's their kill in a gank, as they need the most gold of anyone in the match to be of any use. Nine times out of ten just making sure someone dies is more important, but if your AD/AP carry is obviously going to get it, the Soraka Starcall, or Sona song blast thing just to jack the kill, is a fairly stupid thing to do.

People bitching about KSing in a team fight though, ya those people are retarded, and probably awful.

#40 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

DotA is a Warcraft 3 mod. Warcraft 3 is a Blizzard game. Blizzard games have the worst community ever imaginable. Now the plague has spread across an entire genre. Soon the entire world will fall under this dark cloud.

#41 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

This is, unfortunately, true for every multiplayer game. And I'd say especially true for DOTA, LoL and HoN. Even i myself can be an asshole when I'm pissed off, but most of the time i try to be nice and remind other players who are raging that it's just a game. The reason that Dota,lol and hon players are generally more assholes than others is that it's different than getting killed in say CoD or shooter games in general. In CoD you get killed, but you expect to be killed, it's not that much of a problem, not to mention respawn times, which in CoD are in seconds, but in Dota it can be in the minutes. And perhaps the biggest reason, Dota and similar games REQUIRE teamwork, it's a very team intensive game, so most people will be pissed if they get a person who doesn't know how to play in their team. Just the other day i played a game with random people and we got a dude playing Pit Lord, he went bot lane with me, and his first action was to get a haste rune, he proceeded to run behind the enemy and then charged right at them. Instead of using any abilities he attacked the creeps next to them, he got killed, first blood was claimed. By the time he left it was the 30th minute and he had 0 kills, 15 deaths and 0 assistance. The host as well as the other 2 players were screaming as hard as they could I'm sure. The worst part is that in Dota, if someone leaves, that's it, you're playing with one less player in other words 4vs5, and what's worse is that that dude did it on purpose, not because he didn't know how to play.
The human element to multiplayer games, in other words the main element, is a huge turn off for me. People take multiplayer games way too seriously. 
My advice? Get together with 4 friends and make them play LoL, it will be a much more enjoyable experience than when playing with random people.

#42 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -
@tunaburn said:
@ChickenPants: its one little click to mute people by the way. just mute as soon as they start and then keep playing. it doesnt just happen in MOBA games. try playing with random people in starcraft and see what they say if you do bad.  or try playing COD and doing bad. its the internet. get some thicker skin or get offline.
Eh, did you even read what I said?
#43 Posted by bcjohnnie (442 posts) -

@ThornBlackstar: I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but if you don't want people to call you a whore, you should probably stop having sex for money ;)

Seriously though, my experience with early-level LoL has been fairly positive, generally the worst thing that happens during one of my matches is that some idiot d/c's at the beginning and we fight an uphill battle the whole game. I do dread reaching the level where people start really caring about that stuff every game... If I haven't become significantly better by that point I will probably just stop playing.

There is completely no excuse for that behavior though, but it's going to happen, unless you play with friends.

#44 Posted by SSully (4266 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@SSully said:

@tunaburn said:

I'm surprised you are seeing this at such a low level, when I started, nobody really knew what they were doing and nobody really seemed to care at all until level +20.

I'm only at level 28 now and I don't see a whole lot of it, mostly assumed this behavior is in random ranked matches.

I am too, I am only level 6 currently. I believe it is people who are starting new accounts, because most of the people complaining are better then most and even confessed to using an alternate account.

#45 Posted by ThornBlackstar (37 posts) -

Like i don't care what random people that ill probably never play wit again think of me, Coming from a country where "nerd" culture or even "gaming" culture is still stuck in the past where its only for 8 year old and to do so makes u some sorta freak, but surely in our own community it should be crazy to think that a large segment of it is just as ignorant, ive played plenty of multiplayer games and half expected some of it but its disappointing that were still as this point, or that its even excused 

#46 Posted by Wuddel (2098 posts) -

@bcjohnnie said:

@ThornBlackstar: I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but if you don't want people to call you a whore, you should probably stop having sex for money ;)

Seriously though, my experience with early-level LoL has been fairly positive, generally the worst thing that happens during one of my matches is that some idiot d/c's at the beginning and we fight an uphill battle the whole game. I do dread reaching the level where people start really caring about that stuff every game... If I haven't become significantly better by that point I will probably just stop playing.

There is completely no excuse for that behavior though, but it's going to happen, unless you play with friends.

Point of being a whore is doing it without the money ;)

I also just started playing LoL, and while I also had positive experiences in the beginning, I just hit that level where people start to care and to trash talk etc. I have to admit: LoL can bring out the worst in me, while I usually excel at ignoring these guys. Being overtly involved in online gaming communities is not my thing anymore (since WoW), so ... I have to convince all my real live friends to start playing MOBA games ;)

#47 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

If you don't like 14 year olds spazzing at you and you don't care if you're a detriment to your team, maybe competitive online games aren't for you.

#48 Posted by EvilAshe (49 posts) -

The community for LoL is appalling, more so by the enforced co-operation it requires. You can't really ignore the jackasses on your team, not unless you don't mind wasting the 30-40 minutes of your (and your non-jackass teammates if you happen to have any) time plodding towards inevitable defeat. 
A nice feature would be to have the option of "banning" players from your normal pub games so you don't end up in a game with them again (or at least not on the same team), let all the whiners have fun bitching at eachother as their slowly isolated from the rest of the community. 

Also anyone who uses the phrase "stop feeding" needs a swift savage beating. It's the single most worthless piece of advice you can possibly give, like seeing someone struggling in water and telling them to "stop drowning". Either their having a bad game or their trolling, telling them to stop isn't going to change either of those things except demoralize the former and reward the latter with the reaction they want.

#49 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -
@onarum said:
Every time I hear something like this I get tempted to install this game just so I can play as bad as possible to piss those idiots off, I just don't do it because I hate "MOBA" games, so boring.
And that would affect atleast 3 other  "nice guys" every match wasting 30 minutes of our time
#50 Posted by Kyle (2324 posts) -

And this is why I don't play moba games. Negativity like that just takes all the fun out of games for me. While most competitive gaming communities are like hornet nests, attacking when provoked, it seems like moba communities are made up of some kind of deranged mutant wasp that just constantly attacks anything it sees.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.