any tips for a new person to the game?

#1 Posted by jazin (46 posts) -

so I started playing league of legends and was wondering what tips that are out there for new players and maybe some tips on some of the champions that are good for newbie's to use when they are first starting up playing

#2 Posted by JaredA (830 posts) -

Try your hardest to not die. Play against bots until you feel like you have a good understanding of your hero/build. As for good heroes, I really enjoyed playing as Miss Fortune when I started.

#3 Posted by llamaegg (231 posts) -

Get off of bots as soon as possible. All it does is create bad habits, so as long as you feel comfortable with the mechanics of the game move onto vs others.

Also, get friends ASAP, game has a terrible community!

#4 Posted by WillyFourEyes (82 posts) -

Classic Mode:

1. In the early minutes of a game, stay behind your minions and let them soak up the majority of damage for you.
  2. Never attack an opposing turret unless you've got minions to back you up, otherwise the turret will lock onto you and keep attacking until you run away. (That faint pinging sound you hear when you're near one? That's a warning that you've just been targeted.)
  3. In addition, never attack an opposing player if you're fighting near one of their turrets. If you do that, the turret will ignore any friendly minions nearby and attack you instead.
  4. Only your regular attack can damage a turret.

Dominion Mode:

1. You gain experience and gold slowly as the game goes on, so don't bother farming gold from enemy minions. Focus on attacking and defending the control points instead.
  2. Don't try to capture an opposing control point if there are enemies nearby. Take care of them first, then capture away.

General:

1. Always have someone to back you up in a fight, whether it be friendly minions or another player using a Tank or frontline Fighter.
  2. Don't be afraid to Recall if you're running low on HP and need to hurry back to base for a breather, but be sure that you've got something to take your place on the front line while you're gone, lest you lose very important ground.
#5 Posted by darkvare (780 posts) -

for really begginer champions i reccomend mundo as a tank ashe as dps and maybe ryze as a mage

#6 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@darkvare said:

for really begginer champions i reccomend mundo as a tank ashe as dps and maybe ryze as a mage

To be honest, I'd only agree with your Ashe on this one, because AD carries are so straight forward in the first place. Ryze is not your typical mage that fires their combo, then runs away until their spells are back up. Built properly, Ryze is fairly tanky and will stay in a fight to put out sustained damage, and has to constantly cast those spells. I'm not saying he's not good (he's amazing obviously!) but for a beginning player, he doesn't really represent how Mages are normally played in the game.

Dr. Mundo is also an amazing champ, and I almost feel like I'm cheating when I play him, but again, as a beginning player, using your health to fuel your abilities can easily get you killed if you don't know how to properly manage it.

@llamaegg said:

Get off of bots as soon as possible. All it does is create bad habits, so as long as you feel comfortable with the mechanics of the game move onto vs others.

Also, get friends ASAP, game has a terrible community!

Easily the best point made. There are only two reasons I find bots (Co-Op vs. AI games in the menu) useful: You want a guaranteed First Win of the Day for that extra IP, or to test out ITEM builds. Let me clarify: Don't expect to learn how to properly play a champ versus bots; you will think you have a good strategy that a human player will not fall for. Bots are dumb, and will constantly die, giving you gold faster than in a normal match, so it will be faster in a bot match to test out what items work well for a champion. That being said, never build Mejai's Soulstealer, Sword of the Occult, or Leviathan in a PvP match. Unless they have their full stacks (which basically means getting 10 kills or 20 assists IN A ROW WITHOUT DYING) they will be weaker than just buying a slightly more expensive item with better base stats.

@jazin: You only get access to the Free Champs of the week and the ones you buy, so you may as well try them all! For "newbie" champs, pretty much all of the 450IP cost ones are good to try out. This game just takes practice, so keep playing, and just Ignore (literally, there's a button for it) any players that are being assholes to you.

One last thing, you can get Alistar for free by subscribing to Riot on YouTube, and Tristana by becoming a fan of the League of Legends Facebook page.

#7 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

Play dota 2 instead. 

#8 Posted by Abdul_Gasazi (8 posts) -

League of Legends is a game of farming.

Play bots until you can consistently get 75% of the CS in a creep wave. Learn how to farm beneath tower, and don't leave bots until you can consistently farm 50% of the creep wave at tower. Learn when it's viable for your build to start farming wolves/wraiths in between creep waves, and don't leave bots until farming camps is a reliable part of your farming routine.

If you're having trouble with mechanics, watch some of the pro streams on www.solomid.net ; if you can't figure out a build, read one of the pro guides there.

#9 Edited by valrog (3648 posts) -

Spectating other players is often a good idea, but the risk is that you won't recognize some of the mistakes they make. But overall for learning the flow of the game, I would suggest taking a look at couple of matches. Also,

Don't be afraid to buy potions. They're not useless and can save you from some nasty situations.

• Buy wards. This may not be as important right now, but map control is the key for winning a match.
  • Always call out MIAs ("ss" in Europe, stands for "miss(ing)") if someone leaves your lane (I.e. you cannot see his icon on the map), you notify your teammates that someone is wandering around. This will give them time to retreat and avoid any unpleasant scenarios such as ganks. This is very important. Also make sure to notify people when someone returns (Usually type "re" into the chat) to your lane, so they know that they are no longer in possible danger and can continue to push/farm.
  • Use the map pings. And use the appropriate ones. Sometimes people don't see when you call ss, so if you see an enemy champion going towards another lane, indicate so with a series of G pings. This will draw their attention and they will play more carefully. Use the V ping when you sense a possible ambush or when it's a generally bad idea to advance.
  • Know your champion and what role you are fulfilling. If you are playing support, do not ninja creeps from the carry, similar to how you don't go into your own jungle and kill neutral creeps, this denying your jungler gold and/or experience.
  • It is important to last hit mobs. This means that you only deal the killing blow (Va auto-attack most commonly). This serves a couple of purposes. It is easier to manipulate where the creeps will stop and fight each other, it's also preventing you from overextending (Will get to that in a bit) and getting yourself killed. The only time you should be killing creeps like there is no tomorrow is if they're attacking your turret or when you are pushing. Pushing means that you make it possible (By killing enemy creeps) for your creeps to advance through the lane and take down turrets (Usually with your help).
  • Do not overextend if it is not completely safe to do so. Overextending means that you go far into the lane (Beyond the bushes in top/bottom lane), very near to their tower and do your thing there. This is an easy way to get you killed. You are also overextending if you chase a wounded (or not) enemy champion deep behind the enemy lines with no backup.
  • Know your role, and know who to focus when in teamfights. This is why it's important that you get familiar with all the champions, so you can predict what they are going to do during teamfights and react accordingly. Focusing the tank is usually a bad idea. Knowing who (and when) to stun can turn the tables very quickly, and other things that you will learn when you see what champions posses what skills.

I hope I didn't leave out anything important. I'll go on to talk about the champions in a moment.

#10 Edited by jazin (46 posts) -

awesome help guys it is greatly appreciated.

#11 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. Just lost a whole wall of text because of some stupid error "Body required". Dafuq?

#12 Posted by llamaegg (231 posts) -

This talk does make me want to get back into LoL now, but between GW2 and CSGO, along with Torchlight 2/Borderlands 2 coming out soon, it might be hard to get time.

Maybe I should just play a match or two a day.

#13 Edited by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

- Try to play with with friends.

- No same in praticing on bots

-If you have the slightist fear of dying then play more defensively staying alive is key.

-Don't let people chew you a new asshole just try to ignore the rage.

- Also you be surprised especially in bot games how nice people can be when you ask questions nstead of pretending you know what to do.

#14 Posted by ToxicFruit (1719 posts) -

Ok here are some simple tips

don't die.

Don't stay to long on bots, it will ruin you for normal matches.

Pick 1 - 2 heroes to start with to learn and get good with. Don't worry about what the team needs to start with and don't worry about learning to play everyone, you will learn how the rest works as you go.

Ignore the hate, most of it when you are starting are from smurf accounts anyway.

Watch the champion spotlight,(good entertainment and you will learn a lot of the basics http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL112574DBD0EABA60&feature=plcp)

and here is a warning.

Once you get into it... you will never get out of it.

#15 Posted by YI_Orange (1172 posts) -

People are assholes. Don't waste your time responding to them or baiting them or anything. Just play the game, report and move on. If you do poorly people are going to shit all over you and probably would literally given the opportunity. Don't let it get to you.

#16 Edited by TobbRobb (4840 posts) -

Play with people who are friendly and kind of know what is going on. Only play vs bots to learn a new champ or the basic movements.

Minion kills are everything, even if you are behind in kills, minions can easily make up the difference. Get the last hit more often than you physically can.

Play it safe, 0/0/0 score is myriads better then a 1/1/0, unless it's first blood for a few champions. This is because dying makes you lose experience and money by not being in lane sometimes the loss is a as big as the gain from the kill.

Minions are overpowered, if you pick a fight in lane, make sure your minion count trump theirs. It makes a HUGE difference.

The number one most overlooked, and also important thing in the entire game. Map control. Always check the minimap. always tell your team if someone is missing, buy wards to see more of the map at all times. To be able to tell if someone is coming for you a few seconds early makes all the difference in the world.

Teammates are almost always wrong, this might sound a bit cynical. But trusting your teammates isn't always the best idea. But at the same time you have to coordinate to win... It's a slippery slope of luck and people management skills.

Don't worry too much about items, they are important, but memorizing them comes with experience. I'd recommend asking someone who knows them all, but don't rely on someone permanently. Making your own itembuilds is important in getting better.

As for champions. I tend to say Annie. Her Q ability is made to lasthit creeps, which helps. She has easy to aim spells that does HUGE amount of damage. She is incredibly useful in a fight even if she isn't fed. And She is just all around strong and easy to play. Be careful though, she can't really take a hit. 450ip

Garen is a monster, especially at early levels. Unless you meet someone with ranged harass. He does tons of damage early on, he is buff as fuck and takes a team to kill and he can stay at full hp in lane by just kind of chilling out. His abilities are also incredibly straightforward and easy to use. Just ward between lanes to watch out for ganks, and then keep smashing your opponents face in. Don't even let them get close to the minions. 450ip

Then we have two that are a bit more difficult, but are both easily some of the best ways to win a game. Malphite and Amumu. They are not out to get kills, they are just there as giant roadblocks with ultimates that can decide a game in less then a second. Read up on these guys and how they are played, it will make for some easy wins.

EDIT: Might as well say, if you are on EU West server, you can add me. I'm up to play most of the time, I'd like to see myself as fairly patient and knowledgeable. But I guess that is for you to decide.

#17 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@jazin: I can only imagine this being a TON of information to absorb, but after reading all of it, don't be afraid to ask more questions, generally or specifically. It's pretty obvious between all of us you have a fountain of knowledge at your disposal!

#18 Posted by Dtat (1630 posts) -

@jazin: have you ever played mobas before?

#19 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

Yeah, just started playing a few days ago... and yeah I am no pro, but yeah, turn chat off, they will bitch at EVERY little thing you do.

I haven't really made a choice, I am just dicking around trying new champs and learn movements and get used to using spells better, any tips for a good ranged champ or mage?

#20 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4858 posts) -

@OneManX said:

Yeah, just started playing a few days ago... and yeah I am no pro, but yeah, turn chat off, they will bitch at EVERY little thing you do.

I haven't really made a choice, I am just dicking around trying new champs and learn movements and get used to using spells better, any tips for a good ranged champ or mage?

For ranged, I really like Vayne. She's one of this week's freebies.

#21 Posted by llamaegg (231 posts) -

Back when I was playing my three where Jungle/Tank Warwick, Support Sona and Ahri as my carry. I believe all my picks got nerfed over time, still found them to be a blast to though!

#22 Posted by CheapPoison (742 posts) -

A big thing is. Play all the heroes. Or at least try and play as many as you can.

#23 Posted by jazin (46 posts) -

See this is why I love the Giantbomb community. This is a ton of info to absorbe but every little bit helps. I have run into haters already and learned rather quickly just to ignore them lol. Keep the info comming maybe this info could help other people. My name of League of Legends is StuttderingDeath feel free to add me. Im here to have fun and figure the game out really. So far im having alot of fun with it and trying different people out.

#24 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12105 posts) -

Get some friends. The LoL community is of the worst sort, and if you aren't constantly being berated then you are likely berating them for being total crap. If you get a group of friends together, not only can you learn the ropes more comfortably, but you can also have confidence that you are playing with the idiots you can predict rather than the ones you can't. That's what sustained me, as well as my somewhat crippling addiction to the game that lasted for all of winter semester last year and negatively affected my grades.

Also learn to last hit minions. I would tell you what champs to use, but I haven't played consistently in months and in fact have uninstalled the game from my computer. I dunno. You're at a low enough rank where it's ok to play the free guys and figure out if you like them or not. I mean, it helps that the easiest champs to use are also some of the cheapest (inversely, all of the cool champs are the 6300 IP ones). Ashe is probably still a solid choice.

#25 Posted by MAGZine (438 posts) -

Two tips:

1) Play Dota 2. Since the International, it's been open beta AFAIK. Don't get roped into the imbalanced gameplay of LoL and save yourself the frustration of learning the more nuanced mechanics now rather than later.

2) Find someone to teach you how to play in game. Makes things much easier to learn.

#26 Posted by Entus (254 posts) -

You definitely want to be playing with friends that know the game on a fairly competent level. If you're looking strictly at ELO you want something along the lines of 1600-1800 or over. As for starting champions, you should really just be trying them all. League is a game that literally runs itself on your knowledge. If you know what the enemy hero does, you'll know that there are things you don't want to be doing against them at certain times. If you know what the enemy hero has in terms of items, you'll know if you can win trades or full on team fights. For a new player such as yourself, what I recommend doing is just mass spam normal games. You shouldn't even start caring about winning or not, the point is to learn what your hero does, what your enemies do, what you LIKE doing (very important), and how to learn from your mistakes.

As for starting heroes, I'll throw out some recommendations of my own.

AD: Unfortunately most of the good ADs are very expensive in terms of IP. However you can get Tristana for free if you click Like on league's facebook page. She's very beginner friendly in the sense that you have basically 2 jobs: you farm, and you try to kill guys late game. Tristana is really the essence of a lategame hypercarry, and she has very few active skills that require you to be APM intensive. She also has a very nice learning curve in terms of things that you can pull off with her as you become better yourself, and this all comes with a terrain-jumping escape. Ashe is another AD that is fairly cheap but she's hard to play in the sense that she has no innate escapes, so if you get ganked or something you're kind of fucked.

AP: Annie, Ryze, Morgana. Annie is your typical caster, where she has 3 damage spells and 1 utility spell. Her sole purpose in fights is to basically drop her ult, drop her other spells, and try to murk someone as fast as possible. Morgana is a much slower burn of a hero, but she is very beginner friendly because of how safe she is. Beware however that to play a proper Morgana you must be very good, but for learning purposes she is exceptional at making sure you don't die randomly. Ryze is a very unique champion, and I don't think people would recommend him usually. The reason I do is because the way he builds himself. Ryze runs on mana, as his spells all scale off his total mana pool in terms of damage. The way Ryze builds is very atypical in that he builds tanky. Again, if you build tanky, you won't blow up at the sight of a stray fall leaf, giving you more time to actually play the game instead of staring a a grayed out screen telling you how you died.

Top lane: I personally would not touch top lane until you have a fairly decent understanding of the game, as it is the lane that I personally find to be the most volatile and the most snowball-y. If you lose 1 fight in top lane, you have very likely just lost the lane for the entire game. Top lane is also the lane that sees the most gank as it is a solo lane on both sides, and a long lane at that. If you don't know how to properly defend yourself or know how to play a disadvantageous lane, you'll have a very, VERY miserable time up there. Do not recommend playing this lane.

Support: Supports make or break bottom lane like no one would ever believe. If you don't know what you're doing as a support, try not to play this role. As a 2 vs 2 lane, the coordination required from BOTH players is immense in making plays and escaping ganks, and as a support you're very fragile. If you try too hard to save the carry, your enemies will simply turn on you and you're dead in the blink of an eye. If you're dead set on playing this role however, there are a few heroes that you can roll with. The first is Soraka, or as most of the community calls her the "retarded heal bot". She's super simple to play in lane, you just heal your carry, and give him/her mana whenver you can. Another good support is Janna, she comes with a shield, a slow, a CC tornado, and a displacement ultimate. Janna is quite amazing at keeping things alive, whether it be turrets or heroes, she also has one of the steepest learning curves, as she is one of the top supports in competitive play. You can also try Taric, because at low levels your point-and-click stun and double nuke will most likely just devastate the enemy lane cause they won't expect it. Beware that you are melee, and have to get up to melee range to do your damage.

Jungle: I have very little experience with jungle, so I will let the other users fill in on this.

#27 Posted by tunaburn (1891 posts) -

well easiest champ is master yi. he can heal to full life and is a pub stomper. but id say switch to dota 2. much better game to me.

@OneManX said:

vayne is the one everyone chooses for ranged. personally for me i like ziggs.

#28 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@jazin said:

See this is why I love the Giantbomb community. This is a ton of info to absorbe but every little bit helps. I have run into haters already and learned rather quickly just to ignore them lol. Keep the info comming maybe this info could help other people. My name of League of Legends is StuttderingDeath feel free to add me. Im here to have fun and figure the game out really. So far im having alot of fun with it and trying different people out.

I assume you mean StutteringDeath? I noticed you've played Vayne quite a bit. A few tips for her and Attack Damage (AD) Carries in general:

Doran's Blades are good, cost-effective items for the stats they give you. Feel free to grab 1 or 2 for an early game advantage, and later sell them off to afford and make room for better items.

Secondly, you have THREE pairs of boots! You only need to buy one pair; there are better ways to get any of those other stats, although TBH none of those are good choices for Vayne. Get Berserker's Greaves. They're pretty much the go-to choice for AD carry champs (Vayne, Ashe, Tristana, Kog'Maw, Ezreal, Graves). The only other choice I'd consider is Mercury Treads: These give Magic Resist, and their Unique passive will make any CC effects (Stuns and such) only last 65% of the actual duration, but as the ccarry it's your job to stand back and just auto-attack the enemy team; if you get focus (Entire team attacks you) you're probably going to die anyway :P

Special mention: NEVER EVER EVER EVER BUY BOOTS OF SWIFTNESS. EVER! The ONLY thing they give is an extra 20 speed, which is the grand scheme of things, is awful compared to that 35% CC reduction, or the 25% Attack Speed of the Graves. Please, NEVER get those boots again! They're THAT bad.

If you really do like being the AD carry, a standard build is to start with either A) Doran's Blade, or B) Boots of Speed + 3 Health Potions. Once you get some gold again, pick up the one you didn't buy at the start. If you're doing REALLY well (have 1650 gold the first time you return to base) buy a B.F. Sword. If you get one before your enemy does, you will hit like a truck and probably win a fight against them and get even more gold (what we mean when we say snowballing). A "core" build, the items you will get pretty much every single time you play that champ, would be:

1) Berserker's Greaves 2) Infinity Edge 3) Phantom Dancer 4) The Bloodthirster (buy the Vampiric Scepter early to get back life). This is pretty much the order to buy those items in, and if you die or have to return to base early, make sure you buy the components, because they will still help you, and you won't lose gold or anything for not buying the finished item the first time. After those, you can either buy more damage items (if you're not dying) or buy defensive ones if you are.

One last thing, don't be afraid to watch those Spectate Live matches on the left of the home screen. If they say Ranked, they are usually better-than-average players, and great to watch to get a feel for how higher-level players practice. Also notice what champs they take, and into what lanes.

#29 Posted by Entus (254 posts) -

@tunaburn: Don't pick Vayne if you don't already know how to play the game lol, you'll get crushed.

#30 Edited by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

To anyone looking for noob tips: I'm not going to write an essay to be TL;DR'd, there's plenty of those both here and on community sites. 80% of the game, even for platinum players, is mechanics that you only learn through practice.

The basics to succeed: pick a champion you really like and play that champion constantly. It doesn't matter what "role" or whatever that champion is meant for, the important part is to learn the general game, which is a lot easier when you only need to know the niche mechanics of one champion. Read a 101 guide (or go to r/summonerschool) and learn the basic mechanics and terms (CSing, pushing, neutral monsters, jungling, etc.).Find a recommended guide for your champion on solomid.net or lolpro.com to help give you an idea of what items you should buy and when, and also to pick up some tricks and tips that might help you do better.

That's really it. Knowledge/studying is worth very little until you get high proficiency at all the fundamentals, which can take years. Learn your champion, learn who they're good against, learn who they're weak against, learn how to take advantage of those strengths and how to deal with the weaknesses, and above all have fun. Really the game is what you make of it; it can be serious and intense, it can be a grind to improve, or it can be a fun time.

#31 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

You guys, I don't know how to win at this game. I'm only level 5 right now but I can't seem to win any matches at all. I won my first game but I haven't won any of the 11 matches since, despite consistently performing first or second best (in terms of stats) on my team.

I'm mostly playing carries, such as Sivir and Ashe. What should I do? Any advice? Why doesn't anybody else in this game seem to want to work together? Also, why do I keep getting steamrolled so hard? I haven't made it to anyone's base in forever.

#32 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@Jrinswand: I'm guessing you're playing Blind Pick? I've found, even at max level, that people play (relatively) poorly in Blind. There is less coordination and cooperation since everyone picks simultaneously, so you can get teams where 3 or 4 people pick an AD carry and the last 1 or 2 pick a melee character and don't build any defense.

This is obviously even worse at the lower end of the game, when people don't know much at all, and even a good player can't carry 3 or 4 others versus the fed enemy team. Best advice? Stick to it and expect losses; at that low level, it really will be more luck than skill, because sometimes the other team will have those "bad" players.

Maybe also try some other roles? AD carries really are great for sustained damage, but maybe try a mage and just burst down the enemies, or a tank so you can keep them away from the lesser skilled players. Another thing people say is to just stick to the Co-Op vs. AI games until you hit 10. Start with Beginner, and if you really feel confident, try Intermediate, but at those low levels, players can still actually lose to them by being so unfamiliar with mechanics.

I have a level 12 alt account, feel free to add me: keybler86

#33 Posted by Blommer4 (198 posts) -

@blueduck said:

Play dota 2 instead.

Yeah, I came here just to say this to.

Anyways, as in any MOBAs, try not to die and for the love of god, don't listen to EVERYTHING other players say to you, 'cause 98,7% will be BM-bullshit. Take advice, don't care about the rest.

#34 Edited by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

@Blommer4 said:

@blueduck said:

Play dota 2 instead.

Yeah, like I want to pay $30 for a game that is going to be free when it launches. You know that it's still in closed beta, right? You do know what that means, yes?

Edit: Also, , what you say about low level teams generally being unbalanced is absolutely true. As for trying other roles, I just unlocked the free Alistar and I'm thinking about giving support a shot. Do you have any recommendations for a beginning support player? I've found myself to be a godawful jungler and I have learned that I hate playing as Nunu. And thanks for the offer about your alt account. I greatly appreciate it. It sucks just friending randoms just because they aren't leavers/trash talkers.

#35 Posted by Blommer4 (198 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

@Blommer4 said:

@blueduck said:

Play dota 2 instead.

Yeah, like I want to pay $30 for a game that is going to be free when it launches. You know that it's still in closed beta, right? You do know what that means, yes?

Edit: Also, , what you say about low level teams generally being unbalanced is absolutely true. As for trying other roles, I just unlocked the free Alistar and I'm thinking about giving support a shot. Do you have any recommendations for a beginning support player? I've found myself to be a godawful jungler and I have learned that I hate playing as Nunu. And thanks for the offer about your alt account. I greatly appreciate it. It sucks just friending randoms just because they aren't leavers/trash talkers.

It means less trashtalkers and more serious gamers, yeah. Still, I see your point, don't think I would've payed for it no matter how much I love it myself, it's coming out sometime in the future.

#36 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@Jrinswand: Support is definitely an important role to learn (especially if you plan to do Draft and later, Ranked. You WILL need to support sometimes.) However, while supports can help shape games for the better, you definitely won't be carrying anyone, unless you do get a carry more skilled than you.

Anyway, if you're going to support, you basically buy 2 things: Gold per 10 seconds items, and wards. Philosopher's Stone is usually a core item on most supports; besides the G/10, it gives a good amount of both health and mana regen, so you can stay in your lane longer to help your carry more. The other usual one is Heart of Gold. It makes you slightly tankier, and gives you more of that gold. The reason: the current "accepted" playstyle has supports letting their AD carry have all the minion kills, since they scale the best off of items and need as much gold as they can get. Next item: Wards. Wards give vision of an area that would normally be Fog of War, so you can see where enemies are going, and how many of them there are. You can either google it, or watch some matches from the Spectate Live menu to get some good ideas of where to place them.

Common supports: Alistar, Soraka, Janna, Nunu, Blitzcrank, Taric.

Jungling is VERY difficult until I'd say maybe the 20s. You don't have enough mastery points or runes to give you that edge in the starting levels (usually 1-4) and will either be constantly low health and have to return to base constantly, or worse, die to the monsters, putting you VERY far behind. Also, if the other team doesn't have a jungler, you're likely to have 1v2 in your top lane, and most low level players will have no idea how to deal with that. Even at Level 30 in Blind Pick, a lot of teams won't have a jungler.

#37 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

@Ulain: Wow. Thanks for all the tips. That's a lot of good advice. And it does seem like a good idea to learn support first. That's what I usually do in MMOs anyway: learn heals and then you learn a bunch of the other roles. I doubt that knowledge would carry as well in LoL as it does in MMOs, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. And how do you do support with Nunu? It seems like all he is good for is attacking minions. Also, Alistar seems like he's just a tanky fighter. Does support mean something different in LoL than it does elsewhere? Usually when I think of support, I think of healing.

As for jungling, I really like the idea of jungling but I just seem to suck really badly at it. I've never been much good at sneaking around and ganking people in other games either. Maybe I'll just hold off on it until I learn the game better. It seems like AD carry and support roles are the best window into the game.

#38 Posted by twigger89 (283 posts) -

Play Dota2, and good luck

#39 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@Jrinswand: First things first, support is not anything like playing a healer in an MMO. If LoL supports had the capability of MMO healers (that is, outheal damage caused) they would be ungodly powerful for a game like this. Support is there to augment the carry, who has a very weak early game.

The best "average" way I could explain it, is you allow your carry to trade with the enemy carry, and be able to come out on top. Nunu actually works as a great example for this: His Blood Boil speeds up the carry's attack speed, and his Iceball slows down the enemy's attack speed. Theoretically, if the two duke it out, your ally should come out on top, for being able to get in more attacks and take less. Other common supports abilities can give shields to soak up damage, armor/magic resist to take less damage, stuns so they can't attack back, or straight up heals so they can stay in lane longer.

Most importantly though, is that support are allowed to be aggressive. It's not like WoW where using your mana on attack spells will screw you over. Don't spam them constantly, but use them to give your carry the opening they need to get a few pot shots in. And yes, Alistar is normally pretty tanky. He still works as support just fine. He pretty much has all of those abilities I listed: a heal for sustain, and lots of harass and crowd control (CC) that basically lets you decide when you want to start a fight, or end one. He takes practice though.

Like support, jungling is extremely important in higher-end gameplay. Most people agree, it is one of the hardest roles to start off with, because it is so different than laning, but once you get the hang of it, is actually THE easiest role. Yes, easier than support. With good ganks, you allow your team to snowball ahead and get tons of kills and/or CS without being retaliated against. As a jungler, you're usually going to build tanky (you won't make a ton of gold, but tank items are some of the cheapest in the game for the stats they give) and still do pretty good damage.

#40 Posted by SilverGalford (53 posts) -

Avoid ranked games.

#41 Edited by SilverGalford (53 posts) -

avoind being a carry (range characters) and jungle (the one who kills creeps around all the map and gank top,mid and bot lane) .

now if you want to understand this , play a custom game.

for newbie players , pick Garen (as top) ,Ashe (as carry bot lane) and Taric (as support bot lane) and mid lane pick Katarina or Tristana .

#42 Posted by BamurDeadd (59 posts) -

Stay Calm and don't take Trolls too personal, also.. Play the game with friends whenever you can, it increases the enjoyment tenfolds

#43 Posted by Rays_Gaming_Rants (78 posts) -

I am also someone who only started playing the game recently, and the best advice I can give as a newer player is to stay patient, and learn as much as you can as fast as you can. I chose one hero that I found I liked and stuck with him to make sure I can just get the basics of the game down, only branching out to others once I felt I knew what I was doing in the world itself.

#44 Posted by cheishxc (92 posts) -

Like other people were saying, don't take trolls seriously, stay calm, and try to stay alive as long as you can. I watched a lot of streams when I started playing. I picked one champion and watched them intently on what they did, how they used their skills, what items they bought. Then I'd go in a game and tried to emulate that as best I could it helped me a lot. For champions I fell in love with Ashe because being a ranged character helped me stay alive longer while I was figuring out what I was doing.

#45 Posted by RayCarter (158 posts) -

Hi @jazin!

I think other members are dead on concerning several issues, so here's my advise: Try to soak up as much as you can about the game. One source certainly is YouTube videos; there are a lot of videos there that could really teach you how to play the game.

Here's one guy I think has a LOT of great videos about LOL: Gen Doukeshi. Here's one that in essence gives you the lay of the Summoner's Rift Map (sadly I can't embed vids here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNLe8o2hdXs

If you want to go into specific champions, Gen does have some of those, but the real ace to talk about characters is Ciderhelm. His guides are top-class. Here's a sample; in this video he is talking about the support character Sona

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJJ_jwLWekE

Finally, though this is a bit late, you can watch replays of pro team matches, like the North American LOL Championship Series (or LCS). This is its Youtube Channel, with all the replays until "Playlist"

http://www.youtube.com/user/LoLChampSeries

But just watching others succeed won't help; you also have to put in the work to play the games and apply what you saw from the videos. It takes time and practice. Also remember that the game is also about the physical mechanics as much as the game is about reading and reacting to what's going on in the game. Try to have your hands active on the keyboard AND on the mouse. For further example here's a page that leads to several streams of top players:

http://www.lolking.net/streams

Notice how in most (if not each) player on the stream is constantly imputting commands for their champion for every second and every frame. This is to help with character positioning for either escaping or killing. Take note and do the same; every inch counts.

Sorry about my constant babbling, but I do hope that my suggestions can help you become a better player. Good luck!

- RC

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.