Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

League of Legends

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

A free-to-play competitive MOBA game with a large following in eSports. From the original developers of DotA: Allstars, the game expands the gameplay found in DotA by adding persistent Summoner profiles and a variety of original champions who fight for you on the battlefield against bots or one another.

Any tips for "n00bs" to this type of game?

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By RipTheVeins

I have no prior experience with any DotA type game, or any type of strategy/RTS game whatsoever, yet this game has drawn me in with it's awesome character designs and art style, and I figured it was as good of place as any to start playing this type of game. 

So, any tips so that I'm not a complete abysmal failure?

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Edin899

Well i don't know really. I just started playing today. Just go play and join a practice room. Ask people things and they will explain stuff for you, or give you general directions in the game like to defend the top of the map or middle. And really no experience with rts games? Really ? ?! WOW! I don't know if this is the right game for you then. It requires alot of micro management. And from what i can tell it requires alot of time to learn all of the hero's which there are a shitload!!!!!  A turret is your best friend in this game ! and your worst enemy!  Some people say the community in these kind of games sucks, which is true.... alot of people make a room and then go afk !! really a shitload of people do that!! and they name the room JOIN! HOST IS HERE AND READY TO PLAY! while there actually afk. Its kinda sad that people actually do that on purpose!! And then you join a match and there is always somebody that leaves straight away and some guy thats like godlike and plays this game day and night and thinks he is jesus. So goodluck! haha
    TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheGremp

tip #1: don't say "n00b".  It makes you look like a noob.

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By chstupid

Don't be one :D
    juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By juice8367

Patience! Playing defensively in the beginning is the key.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By breadfan

Don't be afraid to retreat.  If you are near death just run, you will avoid waiting to respawn and will keep your death count to a minimum.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Edin899

Anybody know some good hero's i know one of the tanks is really good! but the mages seem lacking almost. Like i always get beat while i play as a mage and can never chase down heroes,
    GoatStatik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By GoatStatik

Here are some things that helped me when I started:

1. Get some kind of health  item (or potion) at the beginning. 
    2. Teleport and Heal are good summoner spells to use. Teleport will allow you to return to your lane quickly so you dont miss out on gold or xp and to help defend. Heal can save you from a gank early game.
    3. It helps to stay somewhat in a group with your other teammates mid to late game if you find yourself getting ganked a lot.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Driadon

The tutorial's pretty good, it points out some basic ideas such as using your allied units to tank damage and whatnot. And if you still can't quite get it, you can make some bot matches to practice until you have some basics down.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rallier

This game hates me but that is OK since i hate it right back.

One thing that will come in handy for you is to hide in the high grass with another player and ambush ennemy players once the passed your position.

Darg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Darg

1. Don't be greedy. You are more useful alive than dead, even with +1 kill. Especially in later parts of the game.

2. Try to pay attention to your minimap. Try to see what your team is doing and work with them. The most coordinated team wins. Also pay attention to how many enemies are visible. If one or more are missing, be prepared for a gank attempt and don't push out far without at least as many teammates.

3. Play matchmaking after you understand the absolute basics. I think you will have more fun/learn more than playing practice games.

4. Health always wins early game. Get a health item or at least a couple health pots. Try to figure out if their team is unbalanced towards magic or physical damage and compensate by buying a countering resist item. Remember, though, that resist items are much less valuable if you have a small health pool. Get Mercury's Treads if they have a lot of stuns. A big mistake I see new players making is never buying any defensive items. Don't go overboard, but a good balance makes a huge difference.

5. Don't worry about learning the specifics of every champion or about playing every one. Find one you enjoy and then try to get good with it. All you need to learn about other champions is, “what can this champion do to me in x situation?” Just pay attention to what your enemies are doing as you're playing and you'll learn what you need to know about all the champions eventually (be grateful, there are about three times as many heroes in DotA). 

I think that casters might be more difficult to play for newer players, so look at tanks and physical damage champions.

There are a bunch of these threads on the LoL forums if you look or search in the Guides/Strategy section, as well.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Driadon
    @dargonaut said:
    " 1. Don't be greedy. You are more useful alive than dead, even with +1 kill. Especially in later parts of the game.   

This is a huge one. I'm slowly learning which battles to fight and which to run from
    kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By kamolahy
    @RipTheVeins: The best tip I could give you is to ignore people. The DotA community is one of the most rude, pretentious, name-calling group I've ever gamed with. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt but I have NEVER played a game of any DotA type game where someone wasn't yelling at someone else. It's sad, really. Like WoW battlegrounds. 
    taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By taccyp

It's all about knowing the items, learn them inside and out.

DoTA (therefore LoL) players are ****ing assholes. When I started playing I always got treated like shit, so brace yourself.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Luke

Stop feeding the other team's carry! :p  

Seriously, though, it's best to just play this game with 4 other friends and get a gewd team synergy going.  That's probably like 50% of kicking ass in this game. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.