How much have you spent on League of Legends?

  • 83 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

Yeah, yeah - League of Legends is a free game. Let's be real here, folks: you've spent money on it. So let's just fess up to it: how much money have you spent on League of Legends so far? Skins, champs, boosts, whatever you can think of. Now, of course, you can't give an EXACT amount since that isn't tracked or anything. However, just take a look at your account and give an approximate amount if possible.

Personally, I know I've bought a lot of skins. A LOT of skins. I own at least 1 skin for every champ that I own (and I own all but 10 of the champs right now). That's anywhere from 520RP - 975RP a piece (around $3 - $6 each). I also own every skin for Annie (except Goth), Malzahar, Fizz, Volibear, Cassiopeia, and a couple of others.

Therefore, given that I've only ever bought skins, I would say I've spent roughly $600 - $700 on the game so far.

#2 Posted by Jazzycola (662 posts) -

Nothing. Though, I played more HoN than LoL but even HoN I never spent money on. Same goes for DOTA 2. I think paying for skins of heroes is kinda dumb which is why I'll probably never spend a dime in the future on DOTA 2.

#3 Posted by neoepoch (1293 posts) -

Too much. I like the characters a lot, so I get skins for ones I like. Yea it is a bit of a waste, but tbh the visual flare is nice and they have been really making a LOT of extremely high quality skins lately.

#4 Posted by Freshbandito (677 posts) -

@jakob187: If you go to the store there's a tab labeled 'Purchases' you can filter it to show only rp purchases and how much actual cash money you've spent on the game

#5 Posted by Kidavenger (3527 posts) -

I bought a box copy of the game for $20, great game but I never understood the appeal of buying skins.

#6 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Yeah, yeah - League of Legends is a free game. Let's be real here, folks: you've spent money on it.

No, no I have not! And I feel damn good about it!

#7 Posted by llamaegg (225 posts) -

While I'm not 100% sure as I dropped out again after getting tired of attitude the community had (mind you, MOBA's seem to have one of the worst communities I've ever seen) and not having anyone to play games with, which is a shame I do enjoy it, I think I tossed $20 to it at some point. Figured they earned it for the amount of hours I tossed into it.

Maybe I should start playing/being bad at it again.

#8 Posted by mscupcakes (612 posts) -

I've spent about €20 on getting the Cottontail Teemo and Nurse Akali skins. I haven't bought anything with RP that you can get with IP.

#9 Posted by GnomeonFire (707 posts) -

$20 on it, and that was 2 years ago.

#10 Posted by BaneFireLord (2918 posts) -

Nothing, because I never started playing it.

#11 Posted by Loafsmooch (348 posts) -

Probably somewhere below €15, mostly for ip boosts. Never was much into skins, don't see the point of them. I just like to pwn people :)

Have not played in several months though. D3 and DayZ took up my time instead.

#12 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

I bought a lot of skins and stuff while I was actively playing it. I feel okay about that, the game was free and the amount of hours I spent on it was well worth the money, I feel like I'm helping them keep the game going.

I haven't played League of Legends in a long time now though and I just got a Dota 2 invite, so I'll be playing that instead. It looks great so far, even if I've only played a bot game.

#13 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I bought the game on steam, so whatever that cost at the time. Like £15 maybe?

It was just a bunch of champs and some RP.

#14 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

Hrmmm...interesting indeed. I've heard there are people that don't spend money on the game. It's just weird finding out they do actually exist.

#15 Posted by RTSlord (1200 posts) -

I have spent exactly nothing on it and i love it

#16 Edited by Levio (1784 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Hrmmm...interesting indeed. I've heard there are people that don't spend money on the game. It's just weird finding out they do actually exist.

I heard Riot said only about 20% of the players spent money on the game. It's actually a pretty good rate for a game whose gameplay is entirely free.

EDIT: It's just a rumor

#17 Posted by blindisaac (141 posts) -

I have a friend at school who will buy skins and champions on an account and then when he hits the cap he will either sell the account or just stop playing and start a new one and rebuy all of the stuff again. he has done it like 6 or so times over the course of 3 years. He has easily spent over $1000 on the game.

#18 Posted by President_Barackbar (3448 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Hrmmm...interesting indeed. I've heard there are people that don't spend money on the game. It's just weird finding out they do actually exist.

Yeah it's weird isn't it? Especially when all of my LoL community interaction comes from the official forums, which are full of people who spend money on the game.

#19 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@jakob187 said:

Yeah, yeah - League of Legends is a free game. Let's be real here, folks: you've spent money on it.

No, no I have not! And I feel damn good about it!

This is not the thread you're looking for. Go about your business, and move along ;)

Let's see, I spent about $30 on the Champion's Bundle, and probably another 80 since then on various champs. I've bought Super Teemo,Temple Jax, and unfortunately the Jayce bundle (honestly, for the 100th champ, I barely saw him) as far as skins go. Considering how much Mundo I play, I am *very* tempted to Rageborn when he's finally finished, although I hope they fix some graphical errors on him, otherwise I'll just pass; Corporate Mundo is way too expensive IMO.

The sad part is, most of the champs I spent RP on, I barely play. Kennen, Nocturne, and Skarner among them I believe. Sadder still is when I go on my smurf account (from those totally-not-my-fault suspensions) and only have access to free-week champs.

#20 Posted by Slag (4222 posts) -

Zero

Online
#21 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

Far, far too much. Especially since I've dialed down my playing to at most a few times a month.

#22 Posted by slyspider (1185 posts) -

over 200$, i feel ok in supporting riot, without people like me they would have to charge for game

#23 Posted by JaredA (822 posts) -

$0

#24 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

I have never tried LoL, but I have put a considerable amount of time into DOTA 2. Not sure why, but DOTA seems to appeal to me a lot more.

#25 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

i don't even want to know how much i have spent on it :(

#26 Edited by TobbRobb (4588 posts) -

Way too fucking much. I looked through my Bankhistory a few months back, and it was about $280. I've been a fairly active buyer since then, so I'd say slightly less than $400? Maybe more but I hope not.

#27 Posted by Addfwyn (1917 posts) -

Not exactly sure, I've been playing since beta. I'd estimate around $200-300.

#28 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Nothing, yet.
 
But I aim to buy Swain, Ziggs and Maokai when I can because saving up IP for those is not worth the effort.
And I've played enough of it over the years that I feel the money is justified.

#29 Posted by Fattony12000 (7263 posts) -

£0

#30 Posted by TehBuLL (603 posts) -

Luckily nothing. But probably around $400 on a couple other free to play games combined.

#31 Posted by Arkasai (701 posts) -

@blindisaac said:

I have a friend at school who will buy skins and champions on an account and then when he hits the cap he will either sell the account or just stop playing and start a new one and rebuy all of the stuff again. he has done it like 6 or so times over the course of 3 years. He has easily spent over $1000 on the game.

Who the fuck would do this? This sounds like the definition of gaming insanity. Don't tell me they quit WoW to play LoL, cause for that money they could've kept their WoW subscription for the next 66 years.

#32 Posted by blindisaac (141 posts) -

@Arkasai said:

@blindisaac said:

I have a friend at school who will buy skins and champions on an account and then when he hits the cap he will either sell the account or just stop playing and start a new one and rebuy all of the stuff again. he has done it like 6 or so times over the course of 3 years. He has easily spent over $1000 on the game.

Who the fuck would do this? This sounds like the definition of gaming insanity. Don't tell me they quit WoW to play LoL, cause for that money they could've kept their WoW subscription for the next 66 years.

Yeah he did move from WoW but his progression went WoW, Starcraft 2, then LoL. he likes to find money pits but at least he recoups some of the cost when he sells an account.

#33 Posted by Lagaroth (170 posts) -

Roughly $100. But I've spent hundreds of hours playing it, so whatever.

#34 Posted by llamaegg (225 posts) -

@blindisaac said:

@Arkasai said:

@blindisaac said:

I have a friend at school who will buy skins and champions on an account and then when he hits the cap he will either sell the account or just stop playing and start a new one and rebuy all of the stuff again. he has done it like 6 or so times over the course of 3 years. He has easily spent over $1000 on the game.

Who the fuck would do this? This sounds like the definition of gaming insanity. Don't tell me they quit WoW to play LoL, cause for that money they could've kept their WoW subscription for the next 66 years.

Yeah he did move from WoW but his progression went WoW, Starcraft 2, then LoL. he likes to find money pits but at least he recoups some of the cost when he sells an account.

To each their own. Sure, it seems downright insane to us, but if it's not hurting anyone theirs not really any problem with it. Hell, my coffee table has nearing $2,000 worth of equipment on it, and my headphone setup is around $1,500, you could argue my purchases are more tangible, but frankly it boils down to being a hobby.

Now if we wasn't eating and couldn't pay his bills I would probably say something.

#35 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@blindisaac said:

I have a friend at school who will buy skins and champions on an account and then when he hits the cap he will either sell the account...

So they do exist. I always figured I was giving an empty insult, but there really are people stupid enough to buy an account for a free to play game. Unless this guy is selling them for chump change, I can't imagine them paying for anything but the level 30, if he's trying to recoup the RP champ costs.

What I'm trying to say is, bad players are likely buying his accounts, and I hate him for it :P

#36 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1456 posts) -

I've level 16-17, only ever played against bots. I have a few skins but they've all been free tie-ins. Still at zero dollars spent, but I have considered some of the skins.

#37 Posted by blindisaac (141 posts) -

@llamaegg said:

@blindisaac said:

@Arkasai said:

@blindisaac said:

I have a friend at school who will buy skins and champions on an account and then when he hits the cap he will either sell the account or just stop playing and start a new one and rebuy all of the stuff again. he has done it like 6 or so times over the course of 3 years. He has easily spent over $1000 on the game.

Who the fuck would do this? This sounds like the definition of gaming insanity. Don't tell me they quit WoW to play LoL, cause for that money they could've kept their WoW subscription for the next 66 years.

Yeah he did move from WoW but his progression went WoW, Starcraft 2, then LoL. he likes to find money pits but at least he recoups some of the cost when he sells an account.

To each their own. Sure, it seems downright insane to us, but if it's not hurting anyone theirs not really any problem with it. Hell, my coffee table has nearing $2,000 worth of equipment on it, and my headphone setup is around $1,500, you could argue my purchases are more tangible, but frankly it boils down to being a hobby.

Now if we wasn't eating and couldn't pay his bills I would probably say something.

His hobby seems to be finding money pits. He said he used to be big into Warhammer/Warhammer 40K and Magic the Gathering for about 3 years and spent ridiculous money on that too. All of my friends are concerned over his LoL binges lol.

#38 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Nothing, yet. But I aim to buy Swain, Ziggs and Maokai when I can because saving up IP for those is not worth the effort. And I've played enough of it over the years that I feel the money is justified.

Eh. It's about a week of solid play, which I can usually manage. Most people can't, though.

I will tell you this much: Tyrant Swain, Mad Scientist Ziggs, and Totemic Maokai are where it's at!

#39 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@jakob187: I don't play pvp or co op vs ai however, just vs bots :P
Boring? Yes, very much so but I've had some experiences with randoms that made me want to give up on any sort of online ever.
 
No rush, enough games to play, LoL will be there waiting for me!
#40 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

I like to LOL, get it? LOL??!? LOL LOL

#41 Posted by mano521 (1222 posts) -

none. play it a decent amount too

#42 Posted by JamesJeux007 (472 posts) -

I must have spent around 100€ on it. I only bought a champion/skin bundle once (Leona and her Valkyrie skin) and I bought the Champions bundle and the Digital Collector's pack. The rest is skins (usually when they are discounted). The thing though is that I play support almost all the time, so I don't feel obliged to buy every physical character that comes out (and there are a lot !). I must have played more than 1000 matches and I think this game is top notch so I wouldn't mind spending a little more, but I'm not playing that much anymore. Also, Steam Summer Sale xD

#43 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Like 30 bucks?

#44 Posted by yoshisaur (2700 posts) -

About $100 total since it launched. I don't play the game anymore, I cannot take the harassment, but it was a blast while I did. There is an ego-boosting feeling you get when you have a cool skin.

#45 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1004 posts) -

Zero. I don't even know how to play, and when I tried to learn how to play, everyone just cussed me out and were a bunch of dick holes, so no thanks.

#46 Posted by llamaegg (225 posts) -

@blindisaac said:

@llamaegg said:

@blindisaac said:

@Arkasai said:

@blindisaac said:

I have a friend at school who will buy skins and champions on an account and then when he hits the cap he will either sell the account or just stop playing and start a new one and rebuy all of the stuff again. he has done it like 6 or so times over the course of 3 years. He has easily spent over $1000 on the game.

Who the fuck would do this? This sounds like the definition of gaming insanity. Don't tell me they quit WoW to play LoL, cause for that money they could've kept their WoW subscription for the next 66 years.

Yeah he did move from WoW but his progression went WoW, Starcraft 2, then LoL. he likes to find money pits but at least he recoups some of the cost when he sells an account.

To each their own. Sure, it seems downright insane to us, but if it's not hurting anyone theirs not really any problem with it. Hell, my coffee table has nearing $2,000 worth of equipment on it, and my headphone setup is around $1,500, you could argue my purchases are more tangible, but frankly it boils down to being a hobby.

Now if we wasn't eating and couldn't pay his bills I would probably say something.

His hobby seems to be finding money pits. He said he used to be big into Warhammer/Warhammer 40K and Magic the Gathering for about 3 years and spent ridiculous money on that too. All of my friends are concerned over his LoL binges lol.

I have a hard time comparing tabletop gaming to mass spending in LoL, probably because I've been playing MTG on and off for the last 10 years and own a hefty Warhammer Fantasy WoC set so I'm kinda biased in this catagory. Saying that though I would honestly only be worried depending on how his money situation is, what his income is like, does he have a savings, is he tight on money, etc..

Dunno, I just don't have enough info to really say how unhealthy of a habit it really is, I mean, for example, if he spends $500 on a new account and sells it for $300 once he puts in, say, 50 hours, it doesn't really seem so bad. Still a bit weird either way!

#47 Posted by blindisaac (141 posts) -

@llamaegg said:

@blindisaac said:

@llamaegg said:

@blindisaac said:

@Arkasai said:

@blindisaac said:

I have a friend at school who will buy skins and champions on an account and then when he hits the cap he will either sell the account or just stop playing and start a new one and rebuy all of the stuff again. he has done it like 6 or so times over the course of 3 years. He has easily spent over $1000 on the game.

Who the fuck would do this? This sounds like the definition of gaming insanity. Don't tell me they quit WoW to play LoL, cause for that money they could've kept their WoW subscription for the next 66 years.

Yeah he did move from WoW but his progression went WoW, Starcraft 2, then LoL. he likes to find money pits but at least he recoups some of the cost when he sells an account.

To each their own. Sure, it seems downright insane to us, but if it's not hurting anyone theirs not really any problem with it. Hell, my coffee table has nearing $2,000 worth of equipment on it, and my headphone setup is around $1,500, you could argue my purchases are more tangible, but frankly it boils down to being a hobby.

Now if we wasn't eating and couldn't pay his bills I would probably say something.

His hobby seems to be finding money pits. He said he used to be big into Warhammer/Warhammer 40K and Magic the Gathering for about 3 years and spent ridiculous money on that too. All of my friends are concerned over his LoL binges lol.

I have a hard time comparing tabletop gaming to mass spending in LoL, probably because I've been playing MTG on and off for the last 10 years and own a hefty Warhammer Fantasy WoC set so I'm kinda biased in this catagory. Saying that though I would honestly only be worried depending on how his money situation is, what his income is like, does he have a savings, is he tight on money, etc..

Dunno, I just don't have enough info to really say how unhealthy of a habit it really is, I mean, for example, if he spends $500 on a new account and sells it for $300 once he puts in, say, 50 hours, it doesn't really seem so bad. Still a bit weird either way!

He is a trust fund baby so there is no real worry with money except for when his parents get upset at the amount he spends on his hobbies every once on a while. I just got into Warhammer 40K ad he said he wants to start it again and play with me when we go back to school in the fall and from what I understand he hasnt played much LoL this summer. He likes to switch from hobby to hobby every couple of months from what I have seen. He was paying for drawing lessons back in January and then stopped that in march for LoL.

#48 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

$0.

#49 Posted by pornstorestiffi (4909 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Hrmmm...interesting indeed. I've heard there are people that don't spend money on the game. It's just weird finding out they do actually exist.

Odd thing about F2P games, is that the people who never pay a dime for anything, have this weird sense of pride for it.

#50 Posted by Jrinswand (1699 posts) -

$0.00. To be fair, I only played it for like an hour before uninstalling it because it was so boring, like all other MOBAs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.