Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

League of Legends

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

A free-to-play competitive MOBA game with a large following in eSports. From the original developers of DotA: Allstars, the game expands the gameplay found in DotA by adding persistent Summoner profiles and a variety of original champions who fight for you on the battlefield against bots or one another.

I went 32/0/15 my first game, because someone was a jerk.

Kear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Kear

So I decided to try LoL. I guess it was mosty Ryan talking about it on the Bombcast. "Annie! what the fuck are you doing!?!?" has had me laughing for days now. I'm not really into multiplayer. It's just another social situation for me to look down on everyone and feel akward, but this game looked fun. I downloaded it, and practiced a bunch against bots with Alistar, who was the free tank last week. I got enough IP to buy him and did so. Then I got drunk enough to dive into actual multiplayer. If anyone is intersted, I drank Bulleit Bourboun.

So my first game started, I was planning on going top or bottom with a partner since tanking alone is kind of silly. Unfortunately none of the people I was teamed with wanted to go middle, so I shrugged, took another belt, and wend mid, hoping that I could at least slow down a better player with my conservative game style. Then this dude on the other team declares that "lunch is served in the middle", and procedes to send his Soraka blindly down the middle to feed me over and over again. Long boring story short boring, I killed him over and over and my team won easily.

I guess my questions for those more experienced in LoL are: Is this kind of behavior common? I would have hated to be on his team and get fucked by a dickhole move like that. Also, should I have done something differently? I felt like I was contributing to said dickholeishness by taking the easy experience and gold. I guess my third question is which champion is a good tank? I really like Alistar, but his lack of a taunt makes me wonder who else I should try.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Aether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Aether

In lower level games it can happen. Someone hops on a smurf to practice something, their team wants them to do something else,  so they feed or pick a troll build. Depending on the time you play you will run into a lot of trolls. Just got out of a game with AD Sona and AD Kennen and Revive Tele Alistar. It is annoying but like any online game you will run into assholes.

Just develop a thick skin and play for yourself. Solo Queue is busted. People don't really care how they play. The best thing to do is look out for people who do care and friend them and maybe you can just queue up with them instead. I rarely play with anyone but my friends at this point and that is completely fine with me. Saves me a headache and every now and then the 4th and 5th spot are decent players who i can friend and queue up with when my RL friends are not on.

Just read the last paragraph again.
    a) There is really nothing else to do. If you want to win then just do it. His team probably could have sent another person to the lane to prevent you from killing him by harassing you but chances are they just wanted the game to end.
    b) Regarding tanks: Many of them are junglers. They have naturally high survivability and the current meta usually supports a tank jungler. The "euro" with having a bruiser champ top like Renekton, Garen, Irelia etc. can also have a tank instead like Leona, Skarner, Singed. For a solo top you want someone who not only has lane sustainability  but also has decent farm. Singed being  a wonderful tank in that regard. 
    The biggest thing though is that sometimes a tank isn't needed. What you need is an initiate. People like Rammus, Shen, Singed, Alistar. They can run in there are start a fight. When people really want a tank what they want is an initiator. Alistar has one of the best in the game. Singed fling with his ult on and ghost makes at least a guarantee that someone will be out of position. 
    Taunts aren't really a necessity. They are nice to have but this isn't an mmo. The action can be super fast and a team fight can be over after 2 or 3 ults from a carry. It usually just all pops off right after someone goes in. And thats where  the tank/initiator line is. Keep trying out whatever free tanks are available and see what kind you like. Some tanks just kind of blow their wad then have to auto attack and hope their carries don't die. Others can sustain themselves and put out a bit of dmg while the team does their thing but maybe they aren't the tankiest of the tanks. Leveling up is a time to find what playstyle works best for you.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Jaktajj

@Kear: First of all, it's worth playing a bot match to get familiar with a champions' skills but really the only way to learn is to lose fights against other players until you learn when you can fight and when to run like hell. Just thought i'd put that out there, but mainly don't feel bad or feel like you have to get drunk enough to play in 5v5 matches with a new champ. You'll probably get a whole bunch of abuse thrown at you but like Aether said - that's solo queue!

As for 'intentional feeding' as it's called, i've played like 500 matches so far and I think i've only seen this happen once or twice. At low levels definitely, because accounts are free to sign up and people like to Trollololol. Also get ready to get stomped by level 30 players who have created level 1 accounts to stomp noobs. Off the top of my head I think most often the characters they play are Tryndemere, Poppy, Mordekaiser, Katarina, Ryze, Akali and Xin zhao. Mainly because you have to know how these champs work to counter them, so look out for that in the early levels.

Cr0ssbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Cr0ssbow

No, this behavior is not common. As much as you hear about intentional feeding, I've never experienced it myself, in my almost 200 games played. Win a few more matches and gain some lvls and you'll probably be with "try hards" for here on out.

Should you have done anything differently? No, take the win, there'll be plenty of times when you're on the side of dickholes and no one will have mercy on you. The best thing you can and should do is report the player for it at the end of the game. Reporting can and does work, just ask lvl 30 tribunal members.

As far as tanks go, Alistar is one of the best in my opinion, he has some of the best lane sustainability in the game and his ult is great for tanking teamfights. He can solo lanes for junglers, is great support in duo lanes, and yes he can even mid in a pinch. If you really want a taunt that bad there's Rammus and Shen (I think) but I think Ali's better than both, or maybe not better but more versatile.

My personal tank preference at the moment is Maokai, also because of his versatility. He can even jungle if you build him right but my preference with him is solo top. I had my best game with him last night, going 14/3/27, it was ridiculous how tanky he was.

Last piece of advice, join the giantbomb chat channel, and see if you can find some ppl that wanna play. Our skills may be varied but you're at least guaranteed we won't intentionally feed or troll.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.