IGN Wrote an article about how horrible the LoL community is

• 84 results
#1 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -
#2 Posted by Hunkulese (2876 posts) -

You can really substitute any moba community.

#3 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Yup. Never play with randoms.

#4 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

Just about any online game community, really...

#5 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

I've met a few really cool people on this game, that being said my /ignore list is through the roof.

#6 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@mazik765: Yeah, but MOBA games and the Blizzard games that spawned the MOBA genre have always had a way more spastic and obnoxious community than anything else.

#7 Posted by JackSukeru (5964 posts) -

*Insert Alien vs Predator movie reference*

#8 Posted by President_Barackbar (3474 posts) -

There are quite a few assholes in the LoL community, but in my personal experience not more than most competitive online games.

#9 Posted by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

@mazik765 said:

@Hunkulese said:

MOBA's are particularly bad. I played the HoN beta for a short while. Didn't last long because the community was so god awful, it left me with zero desire to continue playing.

#10 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

uninstall noob

#11 Posted by JasonR86 (9724 posts) -

That's a smart way to get new readers. Insult people. Brilliant.

#12 Posted by StalkingTurnip (150 posts) -

@Gav47 someone told me to deinstall the game

#13 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

It was really had to type this post considering how much I'm rolling my eyes right now.

#14 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Ok, here's the thing. If you perceive yourself as being good at LoL, then when you lose you must also perceive it as being the fault of the other players (whether this is true or not). If you are an ass, which is true of many people, then you project your frustration at losing on to those people. If you are even more of an ass (still often the case) you tell those people how you feel about them. Anonymity prevents this behavior from ever being punished, as well as removing a lot of perspective about how players progress in skill level over time.

#15 Edited by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

It's not that the Moba community is any worse then any other gaming community it's just that the way it's designed with random people having to work together and everyone having to pull their own weight to win, will naturally create scenarios like that.

#16 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

Pro Tip: Ignore IGN. Been doing that for years and I'm a better person now.

#17 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@Prodstep said:

It's not that the Moba community is any worse then any other gaming community it's just that the way it's designed with random people having to work together and everyone has to pull their own weight to win, will naturally create scenarios like that.

Exactly

but for the sake of staying relevant: fuck those guys.
#18 Edited by JasonR86 (9724 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

@JasonR86 said:

It was really had to type this post considering how much I'm rolling my eyes right now.

So...why are you rolling your eyes?

EDIT: I was being a smart-ass by the way. I actually don't think it is smart to insult people. I don't find this to be a brilliant strategy nor to I think it will likely lead to new readers coming to IGN.

#19 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

@mazik765 said:

@Hunkulese said:

I don't know if you've ever played a MOBA, but the communities are 10x worse than anything you'll have ever encountered in any other game.

#20 Posted by Kasswara (178 posts) -

They haven't seen the DoTA community.

#21 Posted by Andorski (5365 posts) -

Good troll article. I knew the LoL community was full of asshats, but I didn't think they were also stupid enough to give IGN clicks to the article. Good job guys, you're really giving it to IGN.

#22 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

The thing is, as much as you hate it, that's the way it is. I kind of accept it, it's what it is. I've clocked in about 400 wins and I still feel useless at some things.

#23 Edited by Ben_H (3429 posts) -

@mazik765 said:

@Hunkulese said:

The Starcraft community isn't too bad if you avoid the Battlenet forums. There'll always be the tryhard types but most of the people are reasonable. I get very little trash talking in the games I play. Most players will admit that they suck and are somewhat humble. I imagine it might be many magnitudes worse in the lower leagues though.

Edit: and yes, from my limited experiences, the MOBA communities look awful. Watching streams of SC2 players playing League of Legends, you see tons of insults thrown about and no one actually knowing what they are supposed to do.

#24 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

This.

#25 Posted by Swick (223 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

This.

#26 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

You know, Id say something snarky about how "don't go to ign" but honestly, everything I've heard about MOBA kinda rings true, especially the comments here.

#27 Posted by EvilAshe (49 posts) -

This "I hates IGN" bandwagon is cool 'n all but maybe this thread is about the article, not how much IGN sucks? Maybe IGN is a website full of kitten stomping nazi peadophiles, I don't read it so I wouldn't know what it's normal content is like, but this article seems pretty spot on with regards to the awfulness of the LoL community being a barrier to new players.

When your recommendation for a game has to include the disclaimer that experienced players often smurf so they can stomp the newbies and they'll have to play until level 10 or so to get away from them, when you have to recommend that they don't go play on their own lest they get stuck in game after game of idiots bitching and moaning at eachother as you tediously slog to the 20 minute mark so the surrender vote can be called and you can get it over with, when you have to do that why would anyone want to start playing this game?

But yeah, let's just tell eachother how much IGN sucks instead, HEY GUYS I HATES IGN THE MOSTEST!

#28 Edited by DonPixel (2627 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

@mazik765 said:

@Hunkulese said:

MOBA's are particularly bad. I played the HoN beta for a short while. Didn't last long because the community was so god awful, it left me with zero desire to continue playing.

MOBA's game design just encourages deuchebagery within the users, The fact that you are actively leveling by killing your opponents gaining advantage for your team with gold/exp makes the snowballing quite bad for the loosing team. As the game progress the snowballing makes player skill in the loosing team rather irrelevant as the winning team advantage with level/items can make almost impossible to the loosing team to make other than keep dying, some times you just need a bad or unlucky player to be killed as little as 5 times to bring a whole team down, that is rather frustrating and unfair IMO.

Is not that this game design it is bad per se (wouldn't be so popular if so), It is just a Darwinian competitive context than more than often bring the worst of people. I hardly think this is ever going to change as it is within the essence of the game, If you up to MOBA better bring some stomach pills with you.

#29 Posted by Subjugation (4740 posts) -

I figured the gaming world at large already understood that MOBA communities are mostly garbage. For every cool person you meet, you have to wade through a hundred pricks.

#30 Posted by CaptainCody (1521 posts) -

I raged in WoW raids and dungeons all the time, any game that requires me to break my back to carry people who are too lazy to learn some mechanics will drive me insane.

#31 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

What is it about MOBAs that make people that much more passionate and angry than other game communities? It's not like you can blame it on it's popularity with obnoxious trailer trash and dudebros.

Does it just attract the angriest types of nerds?

#32 Posted by Levio (1786 posts) -

This article doesn't even scratch the surface.

#33 Posted by bybeach (4995 posts) -

@XII_Sniper said:

What is it about MOBAs that make people that much more passionate and angry than other game communities? It's not like you can blame it on it's popularity with obnoxious trailer trash and dudebros.

I don't have a real answer, but I do have a comparison. in sports, and how some games that go on with high activity and low scores are prone to problems, least with the spectators. Oddly enough, high scoring games that fight the clock may have problems also. But there may be something with MOBA games with long duration/high concetration crucial scoring that causes stress, anxiety..and eventually rage. PPl. who don't do well or are too nice get weeded out, leaving a good and interesting competitive game that unfortunatly for human nature becomes suited for jerks.

#34 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

@RsistncE said:

@mazik765 said:

@Hunkulese said:

I don't know if you've ever played a MOBA, but the communities are 10x worse than anything you'll have ever encountered in any other game.

I play LoL regularly, thanks for the tip though, bro.

And I'll take the community in LoL over just about any shooter community I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

#35 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

I play lol and when I see bg I just shake my head and move on.

#36 Posted by Hunkulese (2876 posts) -

@XII_Sniper said:

The main problem is how one bad person on the team can totally fuck you over. There's nothing more frustrating than playing really well in your lane only to have one of the other lanes die repeatedly. I'm not sure how much you know about MOBAs but if a strong champion gets a few kills ahead of you early it's really hard to catch up. In probably half of the games you play if you're not queuing with a full five you'll probably run into someone who is lower skill than everyone else and if you get unlucky you can go on a losing streak where you personally played well in every game. It gets frustrating and the more you play the more you'll experience this. After a while lots of people are just in a permanent state of frustration and will lash out the moment they see anything that might be a sign someone isn't so great.

To make it worse it's human nature to assume you're better than you are and most people can't take criticism and choose instead to get super defensive. It all leads to a pretty toxic community and it's probably the main reason I never solo queue anymore.

It's a shame because there's nothing better than a game of LoL between two evenly matched teams

#37 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

@mazik765 said:

@RsistncE said:

@mazik765 said:

@Hunkulese said:

And I'll take the community in LoL over just about any shooter community I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

Whatever "bro", it's a pretty commonly accepted fact that MOBA communities are more dickish than other communities. You can keep ignoring this fact however, makes no difference to me.

#38 Edited by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

@RsistncE said:

@mazik765 said:

@RsistncE said:

@mazik765 said:

@Hunkulese said:

Whatever "bro", it's a pretty commonly accepted fact that MOBA communities are more dickish than other communities. You can keep ignoring this fact however, makes no difference to me.

Wow, pretty defensive. What community are you part of?

#39 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

@mazik765: ...yeah, there really wasn't anything hostile about my post. I guess the only community I'm really a part of is the one here at GB, and I'm pretty sure we're not really at MOBA levels of dickishness :)

#40 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

@RsistncE said:

@mazik765: ...yeah, there really wasn't anything hostile about my post. I guess the only community I'm really a part of is the one here at GB, and I'm pretty sure we're not really at MOBA levels of dickishness :)

You broke the awesome text pyramid! D:

#41 Posted by dudeglove (8274 posts) -

(...can someone explain what a moba is? It sounds like some sort of illness.)

#42 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

for a site that is always appealing to the lowest common denominator they really went out of their way...

#43 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

I'm not surprised, LoL players are notorious asshats.

#44 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12107 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

(...can someone explain what a moba is? It sounds like some sort of illness.)

It was discussed ad nauseum on one of the more recent bombcasts. I believe it stands for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, but it basically is a less hackneyed way of saying "DotA clone"

And really, from the little I have spent with the LOL community... they're not the nicest folk in the world. Haven't encountered anything egregious though.

#45 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4805 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

Ok, here's the thing. If you perceive yourself as being good at LoL, then when you lose you must also perceive it as being the fault of the other players (whether this is true or not). If you are an ass, which is true of many people, then you project your frustration at losing on to those people. If you are even more of an ass (still often the case) you tell those people how you feel about them. Anonymity prevents this behavior from ever being punished, as well as removing a lot of perspective about how players progress in skill level over time.

Agreed. Though this is true for any team oriented game. I know it's stupid of me, but I still find it shocking how some people act online when there's no repercussions. And I know this is fucked up of me, but when I hear those stories about people tracking someone down and kicking their ass, I kind of wish it would happen to more people. For some that's the only way they'll learn anything. Just because you're given this 'freedom' doesn't mean you can abuse it.

#46 Posted by BenderUnit22 (1545 posts) -

Any 12 year old playing a shooter and constantly talking through his mic makes my blood boil beyond any moba ever could. Maybe they talk in a frequency that's too painful for my ears or something.

The reason why moba communities react more harshly towards bad / new players is that one bad play can undo any good play you did during a match. One stray carry getting picked off can force you into a 4v5 fight or an unopposed baron, etc.

I think it's still up to the individual players to have some restraint and maybe realize that in the end it's just a game. The tragedy is people who mess up often know they did and already feel bad about letting their team down and on top of that they get insulted by some anonymous jackass.

#47 Posted by FluffyZombeh (57 posts) -

Y'know once in awhile I run into some very nice people on LoL but other times I get rage inducing jerk faces, and it's so true that IGN also has a shitty community that I want no part of. Also whoever wrote the article (too lazy to check) probably isn't used to some of the idiots on LoL.

#48 Edited by jakob187 (21757 posts) -

The guy who wrote that article said "proselytize". Nice use of a Thesaurus, I guess? Unnecessary use of big and/or complex words just makes me thing someone is trying to compensate or try to look artificially intelligent.

Given that the header of the article in question says "IGN", I rest my case.

Also, from my experience, a lot of the people that rage about people being idiots...generally have the rest of the team backing them up. If not, then you typically find that the team just isn't working as a team. For me, it's difficult to play a game like League of Legends and not rage at someone playing Annie poorly...especially when I main Annie. What's worse is when you tell them "hey, you should do this instead because it'll be more worthwhile for you" and they respond with a "fuck you". I understand. I hurt your pride. You think you're good. My match history says I'm better, though.

People are just unwilling to listen, and everyone thinks they are either a leader or a lone wolf hero. It sucks, but it's the game.

#49 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@jakob187: Him use big word me have look up in words book, he try make look smart himself durr...

#50 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.