Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

League of Legends

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

A free-to-play competitive MOBA game with a large following in eSports. From the original developers of DotA: Allstars, the game expands the gameplay found in DotA by adding persistent Summoner profiles and a variety of original champions who fight for you on the battlefield against bots or one another.

League of Legends: Sleep by Birth.

Aarownd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By Aarownd

So over the last week or so, I've been playing a little League of Legends. And I have to say, I'm not really enjoying it that much. Unless I'm playing with people I know, or people who communicate (which is super rare), it's almost completely unenjoyable. I feel like winning is almost entirely devoid of strategy at the entry level. It's just luck of the draw, whether you'll get a team full of people who sit at the base the entire game, or a team of people who have a basic understanding of how to move a mouse.

I found some enjoyment in the game when I was playing with one group, we would communicate, tell each other when the enemy was attacking each route, and when we needed to recall. It was enjoyable, and the strategy felt like it came from us, and less from the game being designed to be strategic. But after a few games of fun, we parted ways, and I was stuck in a game of people sitting idle for the duration. Which really is a shame, because if my friends remotely liked the game, it would be pretty fun.

But even if they did like it, we'd never be on at the same time. The games last upwards of twenty minutes. Which for my schedule, is much less than conducive to playing more than a single game. I can enjoy games like Street Fighter, because matches last about two minutes. And if friends happen to be on at that time, then we can play a few rounds before one of us has to leave. It's a game I can play to what I feel is a fulfilling amount, then move on. But with LoL, I can't keep playing, and I never know when a match will end. Sometimes they'll stretch out for a long time, others they'll be a complete wash. The whole feel of playing random games is off for me. I never felt like I won or lost due to out-thinking the other team. We just happened to have people who actually played the game. And this sounds like all I'm doing is complaining about the game, but that's not it. I actually like the game quite a bit. But there's no way I can play it like this. I can continue playing Street Fighter in short bursts, but LoL is too long-winded, and seemingly luck based for me to be able to continue.

To summarize: I like League of Legends, but I just can't bring myself to keep playing it. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to find some people to play with. But for now, the game will sit there lonely, next to the recycle bin, just waiting for the day when I get tired of seeing it. And decide to uninstall. I guess the recycle bin would just be there as a reminder that it can be removed, and less that it has anything to do with deleting the game. No idea why I bothered writing that bit.

Aarownd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Aarownd

So over the last week or so, I've been playing a little League of Legends. And I have to say, I'm not really enjoying it that much. Unless I'm playing with people I know, or people who communicate (which is super rare), it's almost completely unenjoyable. I feel like winning is almost entirely devoid of strategy at the entry level. It's just luck of the draw, whether you'll get a team full of people who sit at the base the entire game, or a team of people who have a basic understanding of how to move a mouse.

I found some enjoyment in the game when I was playing with one group, we would communicate, tell each other when the enemy was attacking each route, and when we needed to recall. It was enjoyable, and the strategy felt like it came from us, and less from the game being designed to be strategic. But after a few games of fun, we parted ways, and I was stuck in a game of people sitting idle for the duration. Which really is a shame, because if my friends remotely liked the game, it would be pretty fun.

But even if they did like it, we'd never be on at the same time. The games last upwards of twenty minutes. Which for my schedule, is much less than conducive to playing more than a single game. I can enjoy games like Street Fighter, because matches last about two minutes. And if friends happen to be on at that time, then we can play a few rounds before one of us has to leave. It's a game I can play to what I feel is a fulfilling amount, then move on. But with LoL, I can't keep playing, and I never know when a match will end. Sometimes they'll stretch out for a long time, others they'll be a complete wash. The whole feel of playing random games is off for me. I never felt like I won or lost due to out-thinking the other team. We just happened to have people who actually played the game. And this sounds like all I'm doing is complaining about the game, but that's not it. I actually like the game quite a bit. But there's no way I can play it like this. I can continue playing Street Fighter in short bursts, but LoL is too long-winded, and seemingly luck based for me to be able to continue.

To summarize: I like League of Legends, but I just can't bring myself to keep playing it. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to find some people to play with. But for now, the game will sit there lonely, next to the recycle bin, just waiting for the day when I get tired of seeing it. And decide to uninstall. I guess the recycle bin would just be there as a reminder that it can be removed, and less that it has anything to do with deleting the game. No idea why I bothered writing that bit.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By captain_max707

I kinda feel the same about it. I started, was having a blast, my friends got way into it, and then I stopped. I guess hearing them talk about it made me not want to commit the time and energy to get to the level they are at. And it's not worth their time to play with me anymore, since I'm not nearly as good. So, I don't bother. Pretty cool game though. 

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ulain

@Aarownd: With all due respect, I seriously wonder how you can't find twenty minutes to invest in a game, which is actually the low-end, depending on which map you're playing on. Then again, I'm glad you realize it, I'd honestly hate to have a player like you in a game that can't invest the full amount of time because of real-life obligations.

Don't me wrong! Real life is definitely more important, but it certainly sounds like a game you couldn't fully commit to, or enjoy.

I haven't played them so I'm not sure how long matches last for them, but if you rally do like the MOBA-style gaming, dota 1 and 2, Smite and Heroes of Newerth are supposed to be just as good.

http://www.squidoo.com/games-like-league-of-legends

AFAIK, they're all free to play so give em a try :D

Aarownd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aarownd

@Ulain: It's not that I can't commit twenty minutes to a game. But more that I can't commit twenty minutes to a game that I have no real control over the outcome of. Since I either get teamed wit people who do nothing, or people who do everything. I was actually told I was doing pretty well for being new to the game, but without a team of consistent people, there's little point in continuing to play the game. While I still think the game is fun, and if I find people who like it, I'll probably try to play with them. But right now, I can't get a ton of enjoyment out of it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Yeah, I basically don't play LoL very often anymore for the reason you stated. It's fun and all, but it's more fun when I am playing with the idiots I can predict (my friends) rather than the ones I can't (randoms). Even at level 30, there are a lot of imbeciles and in a game where one teammate screwing up can cost you the game it's a dicey proposition. Oh well. For those few months when I did have a bunch of guys in my dorm readily available it was one of my favorite things. Also negatively effected my sleeping habits, unsurprisingly.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Deusx

Here´s my advice, stop playing pay to win kids games and play Dota 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.