Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

League of Legends

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

A free-to-play competitive MOBA game with a large following in eSports. From the original developers of DotA: Allstars, the game expands the gameplay found in DotA by adding persistent Summoner profiles and a variety of original champions who fight for you on the battlefield against bots or one another.

MLG Disqualifies Top Teams

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ulain

http://esfiworld.com/news/conflicting-statements-aftermath-mlg-disqualifications

I know we don't have as popular LoL board as some of the others, but did anyone else catch this? I remember the ARAM match, and 5 total matches for a winner, but I didn't realize until a few days later this is what was going on. There seems to be several different stories about what they were doing, but the most popular (and logical IMO) one was to split the cash prize between both teams.

The ARAM match was sort of interesting, but it seems pretty insulting to MLG, Riot, fans, and all the other teams competing, and actually putting in effort to play, to do something so douchy as this. Not to mention off-color "gamer fans" and the like who may think "wow, even in professional gaming they cheat, but it's so....pathetic how they do it".

Thoughts from anyone else?

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SamStrife

MLG have said that it wasn't the ARAM game that got them disqualified. Why do ARAM games not take skill and why are they insulting? It's a game mode, like betting blind in a major poker tournament.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By valrog

@SamStrife: I think he was referring to the cheating part as insulting, not the actual mode.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cmblasko

One of the reasons I find it difficult to take e-sports/pro gaming seriously; what incentive is there for the top guys to not do this? As long as the same guys are consistently getting top spots it is hard to discourage this kind of behavior. There are quite a few instances of this happening in fighting game tournaments as well.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SamStrife

@cmblasko said:

One of the reasons I find it difficult to take e-sports/pro gaming seriously; what incentive is there for the top guys to not do this? As long as the same guys are consistently getting top spots it is hard to discourage this kind of behavior. There are quite a few instances of this happening in fighting game tournaments as well.

The same question can be asked of any professional sport. That's why it's up to the hosts to do stuff like this to show that there's a zero tolerance policy for this kind of behavior.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ulain

@valrog said:

@SamStrife: I think he was referring to the cheating part as insulting, not the actual mode.

Yeah this, I have no problem with ARAM itself, but when the only reason they seemed to have done it was because they didn't care who won, which is a pretty bad attitude to have for a competitive sport, gaming or otherwise.

@FLStyle: Ah, thanks, I don't check the General forums, and I knew this was LoL specific. Maybe someone can merge the two?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#8  Edited By Kidavenger

I haven't played LoL for 6 months now but ARAM was never an official mode you could play the game; if both teams did it, there obviously was some prior arrangement which wouldn't fly in any other sport so I don't know why people would have expected it to be ok here. Imagine game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals and all the players came on the ice wearing only one skate, goalies and centers switched positions, and they would only play down one side of the ice; there would be a riot in the arena. Honestly, I don't even know why they let them play the match, they should have been banned on the spot and let the runner ups play for the prize.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@Ulain: Thread merges sadly aren't within the scope of what this site can do, but you should always search for threads on what you're talking about before posting a new one. Duplicates will be locked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.