So I got a random confirmation e-mail for League of Legends.

#1 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Has this happened to anyone else? I just received a confirmation/welcome e-mail for joining League of Legends, but I never signed up for it. The e-mail is addressing me with the log-in name lumie14. Is Riot Games in the habit of sending out these sorts of things out of the blue? The only things that I could think of that might have prompted this are:

1. Changing my long-dormant Steam account's password today (Yeah, right),

2. An elaborate attempt at Phishing, or

3. There's a very sad lumie14 somewhere out there wondering where their confirmation e-mail is.

#2 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -
#3 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

I only got an E-Mail today saying that if i don't log into league of legends they will delete my character name and leave it for other people to create an account with that name.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

It's either spam or somebody made a typo that coincided with your email address. Is your email Hailinel@yahoo.com?

#5 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

It's either spam or somebody made a typo that coincided with your email address. Is your email Hailinel@yahoo.com?

It was not that e-mail address, I'll say that.

Like I'm going to state my e-mail address publicly on an internet forum? O_o

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hailinel:

You mean you didn't think of that risk when you got a gold subscription?

#7 Posted by McShank (1630 posts) -

@Hailinel: he had to try no?

#8 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel:

You mean you didn't think of that risk when you got a gold subscription?

What risk? A gold subscription to what? Here?

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hailinel:

Yes, here, although now I remember that the glitch (where your email address replaces your username) applies to when you make a cross-site account. Of course, I'm sure you've done that (you have to have an Anime Vice account, at least), so my point is still relevant.

#10 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Marz:

They have actually been doing that. I'm not saying that it was a legitimate email, but there has been a drive to recover usernames that are lying dormant in unused accounts.

#11 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Its called a Premium Annual Membership not a gold subscription.

#12 Posted by lacke (360 posts) -

@Hailinel: It's most likely just someone that entered your email when they created an account. There are people spamming new accounts for various reasons and you don't need the confirmation email to activate your LoL account so you can just enter any unregistered email as your email address.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.