Who chooses League of Legends as their GOTY 2011?

#1 Posted by el_tajij (709 posts) -

Even if the best game ever was released tomorrow - there isn't enough months left in the year to change the fact that League of Legends is easily the game that summed up 2011 for me. I started playing back in March. Over the months, despite all the hate, abuse, name-calling, dodgy servers and tears of frustration: I've totally fallen in love with the game that Riot put together, to the extent that I believe i've spent somewhere in the region of £200 on riot points (in just six months!) and do not regret a single penny.

I had my university finals in June and as the hyper-competetive environment of that game pushed me to get better at League of Legends - it gave me the final push I needed to get better as a student and I ended up aceing my exams. Don't get me wrong, my time with this game has been far from constant sunshine and happiness (including getting together with four other people for a 2-day LoL marathon that was planned weeks in advance and being unable to play due to the servers being down) It's still a game that makes me proud to be a gamer and constantly reminds me 'Oh yeah, now I remember why I'm so passionate about playing video games!'

So I was wondering, to new LoL'ers such as myself and seasoned veterens alike. Was League of Legends your game of the year, also?

#2 Posted by Tuggah (1072 posts) -

It was in my top 10 last year and will be in my top 10 again this year, even if I haven;t been able to play it in months.

#3 Posted by tunaburn (1890 posts) -

not game of the year. but its a really good game. its the best free to play game ever made.

#4 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

its a perfectly fine choice (except it didnt come out this year). Our GOTY should be our favorite game, period, not what we think is the best game or something. Hell my GOTY will probably be Old Republic

#5 Posted by Jokers_Wild (208 posts) -

Not I.

#6 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

its a perfectly fine choice (except it didnt come out this year). Our GOTY should be our favorite game, period, not what we think is the best game or something. Hell my GOTY will probably be Old Republic

Well, I mean, it has "of the year" right in the title...

I think League is an exception, though, because it goes through enough updates to change the gameplay that I consider it a different game than it was last year, especially because of Dominion.

#7 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

It's up there, but nope. I'd say so far it's about 4th? Maybe 3rd or 5th. I don't know.

#8 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

I can't choose it as my GOTY for 2011, I will definitely throw Skyrim, BF3, or MW3 when I have played them all but LoL eats up so much of my time people would think so.

Did I mention I love LoL?

#9 Posted by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -

Not in a year where we get a new Battlefield, Elder Scrolls, Uncharted and Forza game.

#10 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Who chooses League of Legends as their GOTY 2011?

A crazy person. (:-D)

#11 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

Probably not me, but it's a great game. Also it didn't come out this year.

#12 Posted by Xerxes8933A (227 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

its a perfectly fine choice (except it didnt come out this year). Our GOTY should be our favorite game, period, not what we think is the best game or something. Hell my GOTY will probably be Old Republic

I don't think SWTOR is a contender for 2011 GOTY. I mean it released on Dec 20th(Which is a stupid release date). How can you review any game in that short of a time period, let alone an MMO.

#13 Posted by el_tajij (709 posts) -

@tunaburn: Couldn't agree more with that..... though it's been far from free to play for me personally! xD

@Rhaknar: @mazik765: I've always felt when it comes to a game of the year from a players' point of view - we should really be thinking what summed up OUR year regardless of whether it came out this year or not. I totally understand that professional video game journalists should stick to 2011 releases, because they both have the chance to play the majority of releases and we look to them in reference for what 2011 brought to the table. As a gamer, I feel if I spent the majority of time with a game and enjoyed it more than any other, regardless of whether it came out this year - I feel that's what dictates my game of the year.

@GlenTennis: I think I remember in a post you made you'd been playing since beta? How does LoL feel now in it's second year, especially with Dominion out?

@amomjc: @XII_Sniper: I think all of those games are (and going to be) amazing, but I can wager my bets they aren't going to beat the fun to be had in a nail-biting LoL match!

@Tim_the_Corsair: You got that right! 8)

#14 Posted by Thiemen (57 posts) -

lol no (get it?)

#15 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

@el_tajij: While I see your point, when you say GOTY 2011, it means the best game that was produced in 2011. Either way it's a great game but would still probably not get the award from me regardless of what definition we're working with.

#16 Posted by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -

LoL didn't come out this year so no.

#17 Posted by el_tajij (709 posts) -

@mazik765: Allow me to put this an example: I started playing LoL this year which wasn't released this year, and say, I bought Mortal Kombat this year which was released this year. I've played close to 600+ matches of LoL from march to now and have played probably 4 hours of MK in the first week of getting it - it didn't really sit with me.

Does that mean Mortal Kombat should win my GOTY 2011? I don't think that's really doing my experience justice. I don't feel why there has to be this technicality limiting the truth behind our experience. The number of people last year who put down games on their list with the footnote: 'I didn't really like this but this was one of the only other game I played that came out this year' was staggering.

I understand people who want to stick to the 'released only in 2011' principles, and I feel journalists should stick to this format because they're professionally commentating on the video game industry as it passes by. But it's only fair to say that nothing released in 2011 was more relevant to me than League of Legends - so it's only fair for it to win my GOTY. I'm wondering who else feels the same way.

#18 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Why can't you just say "I really like this game", why do you feel the need to misappropriate a title that has a specific, defined purpose.
 
Why do you feel the need to do that internet.

#19 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

God no, I don't like League of Legends at all. : )

#20 Posted by Jeffsekai (7028 posts) -

Not allowed, game came out 2 years ago.

#21 Posted by FateOfNever (1830 posts) -

@el_tajij said:

@mazik765: Allow me to put this an example: I started playing LoL this year which wasn't released this year, and say, I bought Mortal Kombat this year which was released this year. I've played close to 600+ matches of LoL from march to now and have played probably 4 hours of MK in the first week of getting it - it didn't really sit with me.

Does that mean Mortal Kombat should win my GOTY 2011? I don't think that's really doing my experience justice. I don't feel why there has to be this technicality limiting the truth behind our experience. The number of people last year who put down games on their list with the footnote: 'I didn't really like this but this was one of the only other game I played that came out this year' was staggering.

I understand people who want to stick to the 'released only in 2011' principles, and I feel journalists should stick to this format because they're professionally commentating on the video game industry as it passes by. But it's only fair to say that nothing released in 2011 was more relevant to me than League of Legends - so it's only fair for it to win my GOTY. I'm wondering who else feels the same way.

But by that logic I could go back and play Tetris on the NES and go "Tetris is game of the year 2011! It may not be the best game that was released in 2011, but it is the best game I PLAYED in 2011. Also, this just in, Tetris is game of the year forever because I can go back and play it every year, and every year it will be the best game I ever played." I guess if you agree with that logic, then sure, LoL can be game of the year 2011 despite not being released in 2011. Except that it can't be, because Tetris exists.

#22 Edited by el_tajij (709 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish: My avatar tells everyone 'I really like this game'. This thread is wondering how many people agree with me that League of Legends is where the most fun in gaming is happening right now.

@FateOfNever said:

@el_tajij said:

@mazik765: Allow me to put this an example: I started playing LoL this year which wasn't released this year, and say, I bought Mortal Kombat this year which was released this year. I've played close to 600+ matches of LoL from march to now and have played probably 4 hours of MK in the first week of getting it - it didn't really sit with me.

Does that mean Mortal Kombat should win my GOTY 2011? I don't think that's really doing my experience justice. I don't feel why there has to be this technicality limiting the truth behind our experience. The number of people last year who put down games on their list with the footnote: 'I didn't really like this but this was one of the only other game I played that came out this year' was staggering.

I understand people who want to stick to the 'released only in 2011' principles, and I feel journalists should stick to this format because they're professionally commentating on the video game industry as it passes by. But it's only fair to say that nothing released in 2011 was more relevant to me than League of Legends - so it's only fair for it to win my GOTY. I'm wondering who else feels the same way.

But by that logic I could go back and play Tetris on the NES and go "Tetris is game of the year 2011! It may not be the best game that was released in 2011, but it is the best game I PLAYED in 2011. Also, this just in, Tetris is game of the year forever because I can go back and play it every year, and every year it will be the best game I ever played." I guess if you agree with that logic, then sure, LoL can be game of the year 2011 despite not being released in 2011. Except that it can't be, because Tetris exists.

Yep, I absolutely 100% agree with that logic. If the entire userbase of giantbomb spent 2011 playing Tetris - wouldn't Tetris be the most relevant thing and the players' game of the year in 2011?

#23 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

I don't honestly think you can put it on a GOTY for 2011. Yeah, they've iterated on the game a ton since release, and it feels like a totally different game now than it did two years ago...

...but so does WoW. If we're going to go down the route of "well, they released Dominion", that's just begging for any game that had a major update...like Team Fortress 2 going free-to-play and having a big store to buy shit in...should be qualified for GOTY 2011.

Regardless of all that, League of Legends is definitely one of my favorite games of the year.

#24 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

As much as I like the game, there's just too many moments of pure frustration to even consider it my favorite game of the year. Though I have experienced some truly epic moments and that is worth something.

#25 Posted by el_tajij (709 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I don't honestly think you can put it on a GOTY for 2011. Yeah, they've iterated on the game a ton since release, and it feels like a totally different game now than it did two years ago...

...but so does WoW. If we're going to go down the route of "well, they released Dominion", that's just begging for any game that had a major update...like Team Fortress 2 going free-to-play and having a big store to buy shit in...should be qualified for GOTY 2011.

Regardless of all that, League of Legends is definitely one of my favorite games of the year.

For me the Game of the Year has always been about what game summed up that year. I'd be way more interested in seeing the game of the year being Final Fantasy VII, if everyone happened to play and love that this year. Instead, 95% of lists are going to be a combination of MW3, Mortal Kombat, Battlefield 3 e.t.c.

This year, I was introduced to League of Legends and no other title, in my eyes, has been successful in being a better (and by better, I mean 'more fun') than League of Legends. That to me is a game of the year. Professional athletes are allowed to win medals year after year, so I don't see why games aren't. Sure, it's subjective as hell because I didn't play every game of this year, but then I'm not being paid by any professional body to produce a list so I have some leeway.

#26 Posted by ajamafalous (11963 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
Why can't you just say "I really like this game", why do you feel the need to misappropriate a title that has a specific, defined purpose.  Why do you feel the need to do that internet.
#27 Posted by Tordah (2478 posts) -

I barely played it at all this year. I just got too fed up with the constant broken installer and patches that break the game. I love the game, but Riot needs to stop releasing new champions and fix the core technical problems of the game.

#28 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

No because semantics.

I'm of the opinion that anyone who likes MOBA gameplay is a crazy person.

#29 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

Not me, because I don't like being called "fag" by a bunch of people that don't know how to hold an actual conversation with people in real life. I think I would love that game if most of the people that play it weren't such huge dicks.

Online
#30 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

@matthias2437: Most people actually aren't! It's just that one dick in a game of 10 players, with some downtime to chat, just has a high chance to show up. I mean, one asshole in ten isn't really that implausible in internet terms. Hell I think I might see a higher asshole ration on forums.

#31 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -
@el_tajij There is no halfway point or anything game of the year means what it means. Game that you played this year is a different thing.
#32 Posted by CheapPoison (727 posts) -

It's pretty cool.

But nope sorry.

#33 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

After the last kill I just got as Cho'Gath, I'd definitely say that I'm pretty happy with this game.

#34 Posted by Marz (5649 posts) -

I don't enjoy LoL at all :(

#35 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Dota 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.