L4D2 characters fail in comparison to L4D1

#1 Posted by Victorymaker (19 posts) -

Anyone else agree with me?

#2 Posted by Liminality (450 posts) -

I agree with you.

#3 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6805 posts) -

Eh, I like Ellis most, then Coach, then Francis, then Louis, then Bill, then Nick, then Zoey, then Rochelle.

I would say they're about equal, with L4D2's being my favorite because of Ellis.

#4 Posted by Yukoei (2141 posts) -
@Liminality said:
" I agree with you. "
#5 Posted by Ryax (4580 posts) -

old news is old 

but i like coach and louis

#6 Posted by Dark_Jon (596 posts) -

I hate vans.

#7 Posted by Kombat (2291 posts) -
@Dark_Jon said:
" I hate vans. "
I hate elevators.
#8 Posted by Jeffk38uk (725 posts) -
@Kombat said:
" @Dark_Jon said:
" I hate vans. "
I hate elevators. "
But you don't hate vests.
#9 Posted by MysteriousBob (6262 posts) -

Wrong. More personality/humour = Better characters. Therefore L4D2 wins.

The only reason anyone likes the original cast is because they spawned all those unfunny internet memes. "Pills here" was never funny.

#10 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1090 posts) -

I just really the characters in LFD 1 and 2 because they do african american characters that aren't cliched. Valve really does minority characters justice.  I hate you Cole train I really do.  Its also cool they have strong female characters instead of the over the top sexualized women or the dinky "please save me" Twilight type of woman. Its just really great to see characters I can get behind.  I would hate to see any of them go.  I love them all for different reasons.
#11 Posted by newmania (59 posts) -

It took a while for the L4D2 survivors to grow on me, but now I like them a lot better. Louis will always have a special place in my heart, though.

Um I mean, FAIL LULLLZZZZZZ EPIC FAILZ etc.

#12 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6420 posts) -

I do not agree entirely except for Rochelle.
#13 Posted by natetodamax (19421 posts) -

I completely agree.

#14 Posted by Daryl (1776 posts) -

Nope.

#15 Posted by ajamafalous (12439 posts) -

This is absolutely true.

#16 Posted by MethodManFTW (59 posts) -
@Ryax said:
" old news is old  but i like coach and louis "
RACIST!!

nah lol...  but i didnt play enough L4D1 to comment on the character comparison..  

I really like Nick and Ellis, Coach is pretty good...  and girl is okay.
#17 Posted by animateria (3302 posts) -

I like Ellis, Francis, Louis and Zoey...

And the dream team is born....

#18 Posted by MattyFTM (14604 posts) -

I completely agree. The original Left 4 Dead characters were awesome. L4D2 characters are a just uninteresting.

#19 Posted by CaptainObvious (2990 posts) -

PILLZ!

#20 Posted by AndrewB (7782 posts) -

Give me a crossover. Bill and Louis, Coach and Ellis. If you need a girl, ditch Bill and take Zoey.

Also: I'm fine with the way they did characters in both games, and if they make a Left 4 Dead 3 (hopefully the typical Valve 5-10 years later turnaround this time to give me a break from it), I hope they include 4 or more new characters.

#21 Posted by ArchScabby (5877 posts) -

They aren't memorable like L4D characters.  I've played a bunch and still have to think for a sec about what their names are.  I can't think of one memorable thing about them either, well except for Ellis' awesome stories.

#22 Posted by Yummylee (23237 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
"They aren't memorable like L4D characters.  I've played a bunch and still have to think for a sec about what their names are.  I can't think of one memorable thing about them either, well except for Ellis' awesome stories. "

Nick's awesome jacket?  
Rochelle is so plain, I think that has in turn made her memorable...but being so unmemorable..
#23 Posted by Kyreo (4683 posts) -

Dude... L4D2 had way better dialogue. Though, not hearing Louis say "Grabbin Piws" is a little sad...

#24 Posted by Gizmo (5467 posts) -

Agreed, but Coach is a legend.

#25 Posted by Vitamin_Dei (199 posts) -
@Abyssfull said: 
Nick's awesome jacket?  Rochelle is so plain, I think that has in turn made her memorable...but being so unmemorable.. "
Rochelle has a Depeche Mode t-shirt, which is pretty much the only notable or awesome thing about her. I agree... she's boring. 

I like Coach, Ellis, and even Nick's little sarcastic jabs are kind of cute sometimes. For whatever reason, though, they don't stand out nearly as well to me as the survivors from the first game. 

So, yeah. Agreed.
#26 Edited by pwnasaurus (1298 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:

"Wrong. More personality/humour = Better characters. Therefore L4D2 wins. The only reason anyone likes the original cast is because they spawned all those unfunny internet memes. "Pills here" was never funny. "

no because the new characters are actually stupid as shit, i dont even know what it is but i fucking hate the new characters they are terrible
#27 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

The only character I like in L4D2 that I like as much as any of the original was Nick. Actually, Coach was pretty good too. And Ellis was funny.

So really, Rochelle is the most annoying. Her screaming is so fucking loud and constant compared to everyone else. God. SHUT. UP.

#28 Edited by Tuggah (1085 posts) -

My mix: Zoey, Louis, Nick, Bill.  Coach or Ellis could be exchanged for Bill.

#29 Posted by RedEyesBlueBunny (1025 posts) -

my team: Bill, Bill, Bill, and Bill 
God that would be great

#30 Posted by deathface123 (99 posts) -

my super team would consist of jimmy gibbs jr, the church guy from death toll, ellis and bill... maybe keith would make an appearance
#31 Posted by Zidane_24 (750 posts) -

I'll agree with that. The new characters have some merits, but the overall group in L4D was a lot better, in my opinion.

#32 Posted by BillyMethers (161 posts) -

The characters in Left 4 Dead 2 are better developed. I disagree.
The truth is that most people just can't seem to get over their inner prejudice even though Coach and Rochelle are perfectly decent characters.
The characters from both Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 have ZERO backstory other than getting stuck in a bad situation and surviving it.
If you want to go through the conversations they have... Left 4 Dead's characters don't say crap about who they really are during gameplay compared to the characters in the sequel who do full on introductions and talk about their interests and hobbies.
Valve tried to give the characters in the first game a backstory, but too many people whined and complained and they yanked all the backstory from the characters in the first game.  Which pretty much ruins the whole argument that the characters in the second game are bland... because the characters in the first game had no backstory at all in the first place making them all quite generic.
The cast of the sequel is just as good, if not better, than the cast of the first and have much more depth in their personality than the characters in the first.
Don't worry though... we all know why some people are making excuses... if you don't like it then you shouldn't have bought the game.
The characters in the sequel are better and even come with way more features than the cast in the first game. That's the bottom line.

#33 Posted by DorianGray (69 posts) -

I agree I prefer the characters from the first L4D , hopefully with the Passing we will be able to play as them in the second game's levels. I must say that I did like Ellis though, mainly because I thought it was hillarious to hear him actually quote the Misfits' song lyrics one time when I played as him in scavenge mode and of course because of the stories he told about his best friend Keith.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.