Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

In the sequel to Valve's cooperative zombie shooter, a new team of four ragtag survivors must work together to survive the apocalypse, facing new Infected threats as they fight their way across the Southern United States.

Left 4 Dead 2: Great zombie game, or the greatest zombie game?

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By XTraFries

When the first left 4 dead came out I remember playing it on XBOX Live with a couple of friends of mine almost everyday after school for about a month or so. Between vs mode and going through the campaign stuff it was a great time for a while. Then we moved on to other games and I never really played it since.  

Left 4 Dead 2 came out. I was interested but never got around to picking it up until a few weeks ago when it was 7 bucks on steam, in celebration of porting the game to OSX (which is my only computing option currently). So I was stoked and bought it, only to realize I had to upgrade my macbook to run Snow Leopard in order to run it.  

Well, I finally got around to getting an upgrade disk and after installing that I downloaded l4d2 to see if shooting zombies was still fun. 
    Turns out it's way more fun than I remember and I've been playing it every chance I've had for the last 2 days. 

I know this is a bit late to the party, but goddamn this is a great game. Icing zombies with both guns and melee weapons is incredibly satisfying, the atmosphere is perfect for getting that classic "oh fuck, it's zombies" feel, and the team itself is growing on me. 

We all remember Brad calling it in his review, and I finally know why that was. This is the best zombie game that I have ever played, both in terms of the gameplay itself and it's ability to create that mood. You know, the mood you get when you're really into a zombie movie, wanting to just reach into the screen and grab a shotgun to finish off the guy who was bitten (he's just gonna turn anyway).  
    That feeling of excitement and adrenaline when the tank is on it's way, or when some asshole sets off a car alarm, or when a hunter pounces on you out of nowhere and you catch yourself jumping out of your chair a bit. Playing this with the lights off, a cold drink nearby and my good headphones on has been some of the most fun I've had gaming in a while.

So now that we're a little over a year past its initial launch, how do you guys feel? Is this still the definitive zombie gaming experience, or did you feel it came too late in the zombie craze and you wrote it off as just another zombie game? Or has something else captured the zombie-killing experience better?

Also, if anyone wants to play, just add Dr. Stoked on steam. 

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By XTraFries

When the first left 4 dead came out I remember playing it on XBOX Live with a couple of friends of mine almost everyday after school for about a month or so. Between vs mode and going through the campaign stuff it was a great time for a while. Then we moved on to other games and I never really played it since.  

Left 4 Dead 2 came out. I was interested but never got around to picking it up until a few weeks ago when it was 7 bucks on steam, in celebration of porting the game to OSX (which is my only computing option currently). So I was stoked and bought it, only to realize I had to upgrade my macbook to run Snow Leopard in order to run it.  

Well, I finally got around to getting an upgrade disk and after installing that I downloaded l4d2 to see if shooting zombies was still fun. 
    Turns out it's way more fun than I remember and I've been playing it every chance I've had for the last 2 days. 

I know this is a bit late to the party, but goddamn this is a great game. Icing zombies with both guns and melee weapons is incredibly satisfying, the atmosphere is perfect for getting that classic "oh fuck, it's zombies" feel, and the team itself is growing on me. 

We all remember Brad calling it in his review, and I finally know why that was. This is the best zombie game that I have ever played, both in terms of the gameplay itself and it's ability to create that mood. You know, the mood you get when you're really into a zombie movie, wanting to just reach into the screen and grab a shotgun to finish off the guy who was bitten (he's just gonna turn anyway).  
    That feeling of excitement and adrenaline when the tank is on it's way, or when some asshole sets off a car alarm, or when a hunter pounces on you out of nowhere and you catch yourself jumping out of your chair a bit. Playing this with the lights off, a cold drink nearby and my good headphones on has been some of the most fun I've had gaming in a while.

So now that we're a little over a year past its initial launch, how do you guys feel? Is this still the definitive zombie gaming experience, or did you feel it came too late in the zombie craze and you wrote it off as just another zombie game? Or has something else captured the zombie-killing experience better?

Also, if anyone wants to play, just add Dr. Stoked on steam. 

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By galiant

It sure is great. Killing zombies with frying pans and guitars? Hell yes. 

In some ways it feels like Dawn of the Dead: The Game! 

You know, the good version of that movie, the one without Romero...

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By emkeighcameron

I'd say it's probably the best one on the market right now. I truthfully enjoy Killing Floor more than L4D2, but I think I'm in the minority.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By christ0phe

Terrible game

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By AlexW00d

I'm not honestly the biggest fan of all this zombie lark, but I bleedin' love that game. I'd have to say greatest zombie game.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Venatio

I'm gonna go ahead and say the greatest I've ever played, to be fair I haven't played alot of other ones but I'm still confident about my answer

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Don't like it too much. I've never played it online which undoubtedly increases the potential enjoyment, but the overall gameplay itself I just don't find myself clicking with. Plus, where's ma goddamn feet, Valve?!?

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Greatest Zombie Game award definitely goes to L4D2.  Killing Floor is a less known but still great Zombie Killing game.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By benpack

Great zombie game. Greatest zombie game is Dead Space.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Gizmo

Watching The Walking Dead recently makes me yearn for a more story driven zombie game, but with the action of games like L4D2 and Dead Rising 2. 

Hell, due to the success of Walking Dead, it isn't entirely impossible a game adaption may be in the works.

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By XTraFries
    @GlenTennis: Damn...I guess Dead Space really could be labeled a zombie-type game, couldn't it? 

Dead Space is a hell of a game, there is no denying.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By owl_of_minerva

The Dead Rising games are the greatest games to feature zombies. For the specific style of online coop zombie carnage, I'd take Killing Floor or L4D1 over L4D2. However, I don't think the full possibilities of zombies have been realised. I remember hearing about an open-world zombie survival game that seems to have vanished, and there's an indie zombie CRPG in development ( Dead State). If either of those ever get made that would probably be awesome. I prefer those concepts to the present flood of FPS and dual-joystick shooters.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gargantuan
    @GlenTennis said:
    " Great zombie game. Greatest zombie game is Dead Space. "
    It's not a typical zombie game but the necromorphs are technically zombies so Dead Space is also my vote. It's also my favourite horror game and third person shoot game. My GOTY 2008 :)
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spoonman671

I like Left 4 Dead, but a game cannot be considered the definitive zombie game if it has running zombies.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By RobotHamster

As mentioned Dead Space gets my vote, and hopefully Dead Space 2 with be even better also with a multiplayer like L4D's.  But Left 4 Dead 2 comes in an extremely close second, and if you count Resident Evil 4 then that goes up there too.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SSully

I would agree with the greatest.   
    I was one of the people who were really bummed when the second game was announced. I was loving L4D and thought it was way to early to move on. So i waited about 6 months after launch to buy it and i regret waiting so long. It is such a good game, like TF2 and counterstrike i always feel an urge to go back and play more.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I'd say Dead Space or RE4 because I don't like the Left 4 Dead style of game.

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BUCK3TM4N
    @Galiant: you must have not been wathcing the original dawn of the dead cause its better then the remake Romero is a genuis.... yes l4d2 is by far the best zombie game i have played 
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mourne

This is an absurd notion.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Th3_James

LFD2 is just okay.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By nick_verissimo

Uh, didnt any of you play Zombies Ate My Neighbours? Because that is one hell of a zombie game, probably my favourite.

XTraFries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By XTraFries
    @nick_verissimo: Also true. 
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By shirogane

It's a horrible game! Just cause of how badly butchered the censored version is...
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By gamb1t

zombies ate my neighbors or resident evil 2 are the best zombie games. if you think otherwise kill yourself.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By ESREVER

It's not bad, but I definitely prefer Killing Floor over the L4D series. Shooting "zombies" in KF is so much more satisfying than L4D. 

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kishan6
    @emkeighcameron said:
    " I'd say it's probably the best one on the market right now. I truthfully enjoy Killing Floor more than L4D2, but I think I'm in the minority. "
    killing floor is pretty awesome im not gunna lie.  But from a objective point of view L4D2 is probably better. 

ya imo definitely best zombie game.  even though i might have liked 14d1 more.... cant decide
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By FireBurger

L4D, is a decent series, but I much prefer the more deliberate pace and atmosphere of the RE games (mostly RE4). And yes, I realize they're not technically zombies. 

EDIT: Also, I know it's not a zombie game, but I just picked up Alan Wake the other day and it's really impressive. I think it's much closer to RE4 than RE5 in terms of atmosphere (creepy as hell), and anyone who liked RE4 should really give it a shot. Anyway, that's my semi-off-topic endorsement.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Galiant said:
    " It sure is great. Killing zombies with frying pans and guitars? Hell yes.  In some ways it feels like Dawn of the Dead: The Game!  You know, the good version of that movie, the one without Romero... "
    That's the most redundantly retarded comment I've ever seen.  I understand you may not like Romero's style, but without Romero there would be no Dawn of the Dead, nor any of the Zombie tropes which have lead to countless other Zombie movies and games which we all know of.  Bow down before George A. 
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By clubsandwich
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " I'd say RE4 "

No Caption Provided

back on topic, imo the best zombie based game is Dead Rising. l4d can't be considered a zombie game if the zombies run, but that's just me.
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#30  Edited By galiant
    @SeriouslyNow:  Calling me retarded won't change my opinion nor make yours more correct. It's great that his movies inspired people to make better movies, but that doesn't make me enjoy his movies more. 
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By flaminghobo

I prefer the original Left 4 Dead to Left 4 Dead 2 but they're only great zombie games. I'd say that the best zombie game I've ever played was the original DEAD RISING.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By time allen

greatest zombie game. nobody else is doing anything interesting with zombies so l4d2 wins by default. 

gon play some now.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#33  Edited By EpicSteve

Arguably the greatest zombie game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.