Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

In the sequel to Valve's cooperative zombie shooter, a new team of four ragtag survivors must work together to survive the apocalypse, facing new Infected threats as they fight their way across the Southern United States.

The L4D2 Boycott: 20,000 and counting...

• 135 results
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Apparently Left 4 Dead 2 has been redubbed Left 4 Dead 2 Soon. Over on the Steam website there is a Boycott of over 20,000 (and growing) subscribed users who refuse to purchase Left 4 Dead 2 so soon after the original, believing that the content is to sparse to deserve two full retail releases.

I agree.

SOURCE

No Caption Provided
    Retarded as most of the boycotters may appear when presenting their views in forum-post form, they do have a point.

The main issue here is that gamers feel they are entitled to this new content as part of Valve's commitment to the original Left 4 Dead. I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that the original retail price was asking quite a lot for a game with only 4 maps, each completable in an hour. The replay value counts for a lot, but considering the scale of other games costing the same price, Valve seem to be getting away with producing relatively fuck all. The "quality over quantity" argument will only get you so far.

PC Box Art
    PC Box Art
    Committed Sweep enthusiasts may remember that I faced a moral conundrum when deciding if my purchase of the original Left 4 Dead was justifiable. Turns out it was, considering the amount of time I have sunk into that game since then. Asking me to make that decision all over again so soon is perhaps pushing me beyond my patience limit.

So, the question is; what are we entitled to post release? Valve have made updates to the original, patches etc, all of which are of a continually high standard. But again, one can't help but feel these patches should have been part of the original on the disk. I do not see any of the additions as anything other than content I deserved for paying the original price. VS on two of the 4 maps was fairly fucking unacceptable to be honest. People seem to be committing to valve's products with the understanding that Valve will continue to support and update - but without any actual written proof of a commitment, Valve can do whatever the hell they want.

The thing that sucks most about this is, I'm definitely going to go and buy this game. I'm not going to ENJOY it though...

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep

EDIT: Gabe Newell, in an interview with Kotaku, adressed the Boycott:

"Some in the community are concerned that the announcement of L4D2 implied a change in our plans for L4D1. We aren't changing our plans for L4D1. In addition to the recently released Survival Pack, we are releasing authoring tools for Mod makers, community matchmaking, 4x4 matchmaking, and more new content during the coming months for L4D1," Newell says. "We also agree with our customers that there needs to be an interoperability plan for players of L4D1 and L4D2, as multiplayer games are driven by the cohesiveness of their community."
    Er, who the fuck cares about updates for L4D1 if L4D2 is out? Surely the core updates will be in L4D2 - which is the whole point of having L4D2 in the first place. If someone told me there were still updates being released for Gears Of War 1 that doesn't mean I would go back to playing it. What the fuck are Valve trying to achieve here?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Apparently Left 4 Dead 2 has been redubbed Left 4 Dead 2 Soon. Over on the Steam website there is a Boycott of over 20,000 (and growing) subscribed users who refuse to purchase Left 4 Dead 2 so soon after the original, believing that the content is to sparse to deserve two full retail releases.

I agree.

SOURCE

No Caption Provided
    Retarded as most of the boycotters may appear when presenting their views in forum-post form, they do have a point.

The main issue here is that gamers feel they are entitled to this new content as part of Valve's commitment to the original Left 4 Dead. I don't think anyone would dispute the fact that the original retail price was asking quite a lot for a game with only 4 maps, each completable in an hour. The replay value counts for a lot, but considering the scale of other games costing the same price, Valve seem to be getting away with producing relatively fuck all. The "quality over quantity" argument will only get you so far.

PC Box Art
    PC Box Art
    Committed Sweep enthusiasts may remember that I faced a moral conundrum when deciding if my purchase of the original Left 4 Dead was justifiable. Turns out it was, considering the amount of time I have sunk into that game since then. Asking me to make that decision all over again so soon is perhaps pushing me beyond my patience limit.

So, the question is; what are we entitled to post release? Valve have made updates to the original, patches etc, all of which are of a continually high standard. But again, one can't help but feel these patches should have been part of the original on the disk. I do not see any of the additions as anything other than content I deserved for paying the original price. VS on two of the 4 maps was fairly fucking unacceptable to be honest. People seem to be committing to valve's products with the understanding that Valve will continue to support and update - but without any actual written proof of a commitment, Valve can do whatever the hell they want.

The thing that sucks most about this is, I'm definitely going to go and buy this game. I'm not going to ENJOY it though...

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep

EDIT: Gabe Newell, in an interview with Kotaku, adressed the Boycott:

"Some in the community are concerned that the announcement of L4D2 implied a change in our plans for L4D1. We aren't changing our plans for L4D1. In addition to the recently released Survival Pack, we are releasing authoring tools for Mod makers, community matchmaking, 4x4 matchmaking, and more new content during the coming months for L4D1," Newell says. "We also agree with our customers that there needs to be an interoperability plan for players of L4D1 and L4D2, as multiplayer games are driven by the cohesiveness of their community."
    Er, who the fuck cares about updates for L4D1 if L4D2 is out? Surely the core updates will be in L4D2 - which is the whole point of having L4D2 in the first place. If someone told me there were still updates being released for Gears Of War 1 that doesn't mean I would go back to playing it. What the fuck are Valve trying to achieve here?

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By crunchUK

L4D2 boycott boycott = me and counting /thread

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer

I will buy it, but only if I find it cheap.  I would like to see Valve respond to this.  Perhaps make it 50% off if you own the original Left 4 Dead?

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By gearhead

The boycott is fucking retarded. They will continue to support Left 4 Dead 1, look at Counter Strike 1, with Counter Strike Source. They realeased tons of updates. These asswholes need to stop getting so high up in their chairs. 

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @crunchUK said:
    " L4D2 boycott boycott = me and counting /thread "

You're a tit.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crunchUK

What did i do now? I think i made a fair point...

haethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By haethos

My question is: how many hours of online play have you gotten out of Left 4 Dead? l4d is a multiplayer experience, so I don't think it's right to judge the amount of content that was on the disc based on scenarios, etc. Left 4 Dead 2 is going to have a revamped AI Director and brings some new aspects to the weapons. If Valve released scenarios piecemeal for the next two years and sucked another 60 bucks out of you (like Fallout 3 has) before releasing this sequel, would you like it then?

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @crunchUK said:
    " L4D2 boycott boycott = me and counting /thread "
    Sign me up for that one!
    haethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By haethos
    @Gearhead said:
    " The boycott is fucking retarded. They will continue to support Left 4 Dead 1, look at Counter Strike 1, with Counter Strike Source. They realeased tons of updates. These asswholes need to stop getting so high up in their chairs.  "
    Valve has stopped supporting 1.6 I believe. To be fair, it has been a fair number of years since it came out.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By RHCPfan24

I don't really like Valve's move here, but i am not going to boycott it. Knowing me, I am going to end up buying it anyway, even if I am not happy in doing so. The funny thing is, any other developer could pull a move like this and get away with it, but we all have such a high standard with Valve in quality and post-release content that we are feeling shortchanged and, as a result, boycotting the game. Valve, why are you so GOOD....most of the time?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Haethos:Gears Of War 2, Call Of Duty 4, Halo 3; all have exceptional Multiplayer Modes which demonstrate far more versatility and potential for the same price as Left 4 Dead. They hardly compare in terms of a bang:buck ratio.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Scooper

To be honest I thought the quality of the maps in L4D weren't that good. It came more apparent in Versus mode when alot of roofs were either very bland with overlapping textures or zoned off with invisible walls forcing you to sit on a sliver of an unfinished building to get a good spot as a hunter. When jumping around as a hunter you see many missing textures to surfaces and it felt abit like you're in noclip mode going to parts of the map you weren't meant to see, even though they were easily accesible as an infected. It's very apprent in the Death Toll campaign, you can barely get on any roofs at all as an infected during that campaign.

I still believe Valve are pulling our legs on the matter though since they did say we were getting alot of downloadable content for L4D1 and I don't think they'd do this except for punking us with an awesome announcement. So I predict this will be free DLC or in the Oranger Box.

haethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By haethos
    @Sweep said:
    " @Haethos:Gears Of War 2, Call Of Duty 4, Halo 3; all have exceptional Multiplayer Modes which demonstrate far more versatility and potential for the same price as Left 4 Dead. They hardly compare in terms of a bang:buck ratio. "
    You didn't answer my question; would you prefer that they release small pieces of content piecemeal over the next year and delay the release? They'd be squeezing just as much money out of you.

CoD4 has a sequel coming out this year, Halo 3 has one coming out this year, and a Gears sequel is on the way in 2010 or 2011 probably. Fundamental tech that L4D is based on is being changed/updated--I don't have a problem with them coming out with a full retail release.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Hamz

I'd laugh so hard right now if Valve banned every member of that boycotting group.

On a serious note it seems dumb to boycott the game. Fair enough people aren't happy and I can understand, sympathise even, with them. But free DLC can only go so far especially in tougher economic times. The fact we get so much from Valve and they ask so little makes me think people have had it too good for too long.

Personally I'm not too interested in the game, it just isn't something I find myself willing to go and buy when I'm still sort of happy with L4D and even then I find my happiness level with L4D varies. Like Sweep mentioned unlocking the 2 other maps for versus and adding a crappy survival mode isn't much, especially when those 2 maps should have been unlocked to begin with. That being said what annoys me more with L4D2 is if they can produce all that new content within a year (assuming they do release it this year) why does it take so long to release Episodes for Hal Life 2?

I guess what I'm saying here is, I'd have rather they announced Episode 3 than a L4D sequel.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By JJOR64

It's kinda crazy that it's already at 20k.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By mracoon

Valve are still going to update the game. People think they're entitled to content but actually you're not. What you buy is what you get and anything extra is an added bonus. I really can't believe people think Valve, the company which has supported its community more then almost any other, are suddenly evil or are trying to exploit them because they are releasing a sequel (which would be too big for an update and has more content then the original) a year later. I thought people might be excited. Sure I would have preferred Episode 3 or Portal 2 but they were probably going to be released next year anyway and I'm glad that we got more of a game that I really enjoyed.

Anyway I can't convince people to agree with me but I just think they're overreacting. Valve aren't Activision or old EA, they're Valve. If they genuinely thought they could add this as an update they probably would have. That's why I'm supporting them on this one because to these people they've done one thing 'wrong' and everybody gets into a big furore like they've robbed us.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4a512bb9699
    deactivated-5b4a512bb9699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Companies wanting to make money to stay alive during a recession? Sounds crazy to me why the fuck would they do that!

haethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By haethos
    @JJOR64 said:
    " It's kinda crazy that it's already at 20k. "
    How many of those 20k are really gonna skip buying the game though? I don't buy the fact that every last one of them (or even a majority, really) would pass up on a sequel, provided that it's a AAA quality release.
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By innacces14

I hate to be a total flame starter, but can't you guys give Valve the benefit of the doubt? I mean. It's Valve. If they're ready they're ready. Plus if they're not then they're probably gonna push this game back to the point that they'd have to have HL:E3 to the forefront.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Out_On_Bail

These threads/blogs are getting old. Don't buy the game if you don't want to.  Problem solved.  And like Hamz said, I'd be willing to bet a lot of people are joining the 'boycott' but will buy the game, because it's trendy right now to hate Valve apparently.  Internet is full of followers.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Binman88
    @mracoon said:
    " People think they're entitled to content but actually you're not. What you buy is what you get and anything extra is an added bonus. "
    This is what pisses me off most about these ungrateful, whiney bastards; their bizarre sense of entitlement.
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Alexander

Valve said they would support Left 4 Dead suggesting new maps and weapons. It's not that Left 4 Dead 2 could have been done via dlc, it's that Valve clearly went to work on this game soon after L4Ds release doing the exact opposite of what they said they would and what everyone expected (what with it being Valve). Right up until the announcement I was still expecting a map or two. I've sunk a good few hours into the game, but you can't justify the cost at release with such little content. I've played hours and hours of Call of Duty 4, but I would never pay $60 for the multiplayer alone.

[edit] and the most annoying thing for me is that people don't understand that this is more about L4D rather than L4D2.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ZeroCast

Valve knows better, that's all I am going to say on this matter.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By mracoon
    @Alexander said:
    " Valve said they would support Left 4 Dead suggesting new maps and weapons. It's not that Left 4 Dead 2 could have been done via dlc, it's that Valve clearly went to work on this game soon after L4Ds release doing the exact opposite of what they said they would and what everyone expected (what with it being Valve). Right up until the announcement I was still expecting a map or two. I've sunk a good few hours into the game, but you can't justify the cost at release with such little content. I've played hours and hours of Call of Duty 4, but I would never pay $60 for the multiplayer alone.[edit] and the most annoying thing for me is that people don't understand that this is more about L4D rather than L4D2. "
    They're still goin to add things to the game. Just because they release a new game deosnt' mean they won't support the old one. CS1.6 still recieved update after CS:S came out.

I quote L4D lead designer Chet Faliszek:
    "in fact Left 4 Dead one, we still aren’t done with it" he said. "We still have updates coming."
    Again I think people are overacting. I really doubt they went into L4D thinking that they were making a sequel its just that after the game was released they still had a lot of ideas that were big enough to form a whole new game.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By tekmojo

If the sequel is going to be so much better, why even play the first anymore? If they push for L4D2 too much then they risk losing the fanbase of the original. In retrospect, If they don't push for it's success with all the bells and whistles come media time, how many will be drawn to it? A tough situation Valve has made for itself, should be interesting come November.

LuffyUzumaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By LuffyUzumaki

i really want l4d2 this sucks

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jimbo

Threads about the L4D2 pretend boycott: 20,000 and counting.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Illmatic

I'm very interested in how heavy this response would be if there was no Half Life 2: Episode 3.

Quite honestly, new A.I., new characters, new campaigns, new enemies/behaviors/animations/interactions, new weapons and new weapons class, and new environmental conditions (rain, fog, etc.) sounds like a sequel that I'd happily purchase, not an expansion.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jimbo

And it's real simple:

Option 1)  Buy it.
    Option 2)  Don't buy it.

It will sell millions of units regardless.

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cc23574
    @Illmatic said:
    "I'm very interested in how heavy this response would be if there was no Half Life 2: Episode 3. Quite honestly, new A.I., new characters, new campaigns, new enemies/behaviors/animations/interactions, new weapons and new weapons class, and new environmental conditions (rain, fog, etc.) sounds like a sequel that I'd happily purchase, not an expansion."

This, Valve already said that if they updated and such, that they had to do like 10 updates. Valve fans need to stop crying! There is loads of new content in the sequel, what do you expect, that it comes with a free naked chick? It will be a great game wich builds upon the winning formula of the first game.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Well I joined the boycott, don't care what anyone else thinks, this is way to early for a full priced sequal, atleast wait a year.

Ryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ryu

That's stupid if you don't want a game, don't buy it. No need to have a protest because a company is making a sequel.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Illmatic

In addition, if you really don't want to spend money so soon, according to Co-Op, Valve is working on a way to put the new characters and melee weapons into Left 4 Dead 1. I understand that for those amongst us without so much disposable income, it may suck that you can't join in on the sequel so that is something.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tekmojo
    @Illmatic said:
    " In addition, if you really don't want to spend money so soon, according to Co-Op, Valve is working on a way to put the new characters and melee weapons into Left 4 Dead 1. I understand that for those amongst us without so much disposable income, it may suck that you can't join in on the sequel so that is something. "
    Exactly if Valve doesn't do it, expect modders to extract most of the game data and assets from the L4D2 and release it for the first. One of the few good outcomes for them being so similar in structure. Wonder when they will release the SDK for L4D2.
    gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

i completely agree with the boycotters problems with the game but unfortunately they won't be able to change how the game is released.
     or not released

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

No one actually knows how much content will be in L4D2 so you don't know if it's going to have enough content to warrant sixty bucks.  So why boycott it?

DevilishSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By DevilishSix
    @Haethos said:
    "
    @Sweep said:
    " @Haethos:Gears Of War 2, Call Of Duty 4, Halo 3; all have exceptional Multiplayer Modes which demonstrate far more versatility and potential for the same price as Left 4 Dead. They hardly compare in terms of a bang:buck ratio. "
    You didn't answer my question; would you prefer that they release small pieces of content piecemeal over the next year and delay the release? They'd be squeezing just as much money out of you.CoD4 has a sequel coming out this year, Halo 3 has one coming out this year, and a Gears sequel is on the way in 2010 or 2011 probably. Fundamental tech that L4D is based on is being changed/updated--I don't have a problem with them coming out with a full retail release."

The problem with your arguement is each sequel example you used took 2 years to make the next iteration of the game and they updated the game engine.  L4D2 was announced 7 months after the original came out and will be released one year after the first and the Source engine is outdated.  This feels to me like the games were cut into for two retail releases for Activision their publisher.  The original L4D was very lite on content and on multiple occasions Valve representatives made it well know that L4D was lite on content and they commented support for new characters, maps, weapons, and missions as dlc after launched, this was used to sell the game by PR tactics, now Valve has done a 360 on gamers who have bought the game.....I wonder how much my copy will fitch on ebay....also Screw You Valve. 
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#38  Edited By the8bitNacho

Gamers have such a righteous sense of self-entitlement.  It really pisses me off.

o noez i didnt git mah free stuffz gonna bitch about it

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39  Edited By natetodamax
    @Jimbo said:
    " And it's real simple:Option 1)  Buy it.Option 2)  Don't buy it.It will sell millions of units regardless. "
    Exactly.

If Valve does cancel the game because of these dicks, I will stab all of them (the boycotters)
    1_879_116_9420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By 1_879_116_9420

You people are crazy. You're setting yourselves up to be let down, and will hate a game based on wanting to have "a bad time", I believe its called self-fullfilling prophecy in psychology.

I look foward to it, it could only be better to me if it were part of a new Orange box with Episode 3, Portal 2, and CS:S.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By jakob187
    Going through and reading some folks' comments, I just don't think there's a solid understanding of WHY people are pissed about the release of Left 4 Dead 2...so allow me to clarify:

Valve's usual response to the release of a game is "when it's done".  Therefore, I sit back and look at Left 4 Dead, then wonder if that statement applied to it.  Was Left 4 Dead done?

I mean, it took them a handful of years to get the first Left 4 Dead out, and now they are getting the second out WITHIN A YEAR?  I'm sorry, but something smells like "BULLSHIT".  If this is the case, then why ISN'T Episode 3...or Portal 2...already out?  I mean, Portal was a relatively small game with 2-3 hours of gameplay plus other modes...but regardless, it's the kind of thing that Valve could put something new out within a year if they can do the same with Left 4 Dead 2!

It begs the question of whether Valve should've stalled the release of the original for another year in order to add in all of this and make a far more robust $60 experience.
    Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nettacki
    @jakob187 said:
    " Sweep, I'm right behind you on this.  Despite knowing that the game will be of high quality upon release, the fact is that hearing it announced at E3 flat-out pissed me off...like, white-hot anger pissed-off.  My sole reasoning behind it is this:

Valve's usual response to the release of a game is "when it's done".  Therefore, I sit back and look at Left 4 Dead, then wonder if that statement applied to it.  Was Left 4 Dead done?  I mean, it took them a handful of years to get the first Left 4 Dead out, and now they are getting the second out WITHIN A YEAR?  I'm sorry, but something smells like "BULLSHIT".  If this is the case, then why ISN'T Episode 3...or Portal 2...already out?  I mean, Portal was a relatively small game with 2-3 hours of gameplay plus other modes...but regardless, it's the kind of thing that Valve could put something new out within a year if they can do the same with Left 4 Dead 2!

So I'm more than willing to boycott Left 4 Dead 2, but as someone else said already in other threads around the world...20,000 doesn't mean shit to Valve in the scheme of millions.
    "

I'd also support this, but don't you think it shows how utterly spoiled gamers are today?
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zitosilva

I think the boycott got way more attention than it deserved. It's very simple, if people indeed feel the game is coming out too soon, they won't buy. If lots of people don't buy, the message will be sent to Valve. But this should happen due to each individual interest in the game, not because some group is plotting to do so.

Having said that, I myself won't be buying it. I still play L4D ocasionally and what I get from that is enough for me. At least for now.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jakob187
    @Nettacki said:
    "I'd also support this, but don't you think it shows how utterly spoiled gamers are today? "
    I re-wrote my statement a little bit, as I hadn't read EVERY comment on this thread yet, as well as some of the stuff on the Steam forums.

I wouldn't say that we're spoiled.  I mean, you are talking about a game that shipped at $60 with:
    • Four campaigns (which you COULD say is 20 maps, except it's 5 maps that look virtually the same each time around in four different settings)
    • Versus mode for only TWO of the campaigns
    • Four characters
    • Six weapons (three low-grade weapon class, three upgraded weapon class)

That's it.  For $60, that's what we paid for.  However, it was the quality that we were buying into...as well as the knowledge that Valve is very much a company that relies heavily on mods to continue the support of their games.  They are also incredibly well-known for offering up amazingly detailed updates that re-balance things and fix broken stuff.  Yes, there was a patch that UNLOCKED the Versus for the other two campaigns, as well as added Survival Mode into the game.

Left 4 Dead 2 DOES address a lot of those things...but again, it's a company whose usual response to release dates is "when it's done".  If it took Valve three years to make FOUR CAMPAIGNS and Versus Mode for ONLY TWO OF THOSE...then how the FUCK did they come up with all this in a year:
    • 5 new campaigns
    • Versus Mode for all of them
    • Survival Mode for all of them
    • Four new characters
    • New firearms
    • Melee weapons
    • Weather effects
    • New Special Infected
    • New regular Infected
    • Special ammo types
    • A new multiplayer mode they haven't announced yet
    • etc...
    • etc...

So are you starting to see just WHY we're pissed off?  Moreover, when Valve THEMSELVES basically say "well, Left 4 Dead was a mulligan..."

Dood, REALLY?  So they made us pay $60 for a MISTAKE?!

I'm sorry.  I just can't support the release of Left 4 Dead 2 this soon, especially when the SDK isn't even out of beta for L4D.  It's a real slap in the face.
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By thebeast
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Binman88
    @jakob187 said:
    "
    Going through and reading some folks' comments, I just don't think there's a solid understanding of WHY people are pissed about the release of Left 4 Dead 2...so allow me to clarify:

Valve's usual response to the release of a game is "when it's done".  Therefore, I sit back and look at Left 4 Dead, then wonder if that statement applied to it.  Was Left 4 Dead done?

I mean, it took them a handful of years to get the first Left 4 Dead out, and now they are getting the second out WITHIN A YEAR?  I'm sorry, but something smells like "BULLSHIT".  If this is the case, then why ISN'T Episode 3...or Portal 2...already out?  I mean, Portal was a relatively small game with 2-3 hours of gameplay plus other modes...but regardless, it's the kind of thing that Valve could put something new out within a year if they can do the same with Left 4 Dead 2!

It begs the question of whether Valve should've stalled the release of the original for another year in order to add in all of this and make a far more robust $60 experience.
    "
    Hmm, I don't think that "clarifies" anything, really. From your post I can't even tell what the main argument is here. Was L4D not good enough or "done" because it only took a handful of years to develop? Do you therefore assume L4D2 will be bad because it has had a relatively short development? You close with the argument that L4D was short on content, which it was; but a lot of people have been very satisfied with what L4D offered and the amount of content was only a minor issue for those people who have gotten hours of enjoyment from the game - people who felt that they got their $60 worth of game.

Nothing anyone has put forward so far has convinced me there is a need for any sort of boycott or outrage. Everything boils down to your two options as mentioned before - either buy the game or don't. You clearly weren't satisfied with L4D1 so my advice would be to not buy the sequel.

EDIT: The link to Jim Sterling's article TheBeast posted says everything that needs to be said, much better than I could say any of it.

@TheBeast said:
    " Admittedly, at first I was rather annoyed at the prospect of another Left 4 Dead so soon - I've very much changed my opinion now so rather than re-iterate why, I'll just link to a couple of things that have enlightened me: "

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jakob187
    @TheBeast said:
    " Admittedly, at first I was rather annoyed at the prospect of another Left 4 Dead so soon - I've very much changed my opinion now so rather than re-iterate why, I'll just link to a couple of things that have enlightened me:
    The Destructoid article was mental retardation!!!  I'm sorry, I really am trying to find more constructive things to say about it, but there are none that I can think of.  Basically, we're supposed to be OKAY with the fact that Left 4 Dead was thrown in our laps incomplete for $60 and then be OKAY with them releasing Left 4 Dead 2 within a year later?  Here's a better idea:  Valve could've waited another year, put it all in ONE package, and then done what they do best.

Sterling's article, however, is basically saying "whatever, I'm going to get a copy for free, so what's it matter to me?"  That's the other thing I think you might need to realize there, Beast - gaming press don't always end up paying for their copies of the games.  Therefore, what do THEY give a damn about OTHER people having to pay for the game?  His article, through and through, sounded like selfish bullshit rather than sounding like anything coherently intelligent.

Also, again, if Left 4 Dead 2 can come out within a year after the first game, then why isn't Half-Life 2 Episode 3 out yet, or Portal 2?  Hell, it can't be THAT hard to make a 2-3 hour long game...and my evidence is nestled in a November 17th release date...
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Alexander

I had read that Sterling article. What Jakob said, it was just dumb. Dumb dumb dumb.

Description above represents quality of article.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jakob187
    @Binman88: My point is that if Left 4 Dead 2 can be released within a year of the original, then there is absolutely no excuse why Half-Life 2 Episode 3 and Portal 2 are taking so long to come out.  Portal was a 2-3 hour gameplay experience, and the Episodes were about 2-3 hours each as well.

What's the excuse other than "we want to be money whores with Left 4 Dead, but fuck you all if you want the other games anytime soon...especially since they'll only be about 3 hours long."?
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By thebeast
    @jakob187: I absolutely realise that journalists may get a copy of whatever game for free, but I hardly see how that would affect their opinion. 

In the end, I, personally, am quite happy to pay for Left 4 Dead 2 if not only because I'm interested in the game, but to show my support for one of my all-time favourite developers who have provided me with so many hours of enjoyment from both retail games and free additions over the past years.

I have no problem with people like yourself who may not see a reason to pay for it or consider the original L4D to have been insufficient to your demands, but I don't see the benefit in trying to make it in to an argument - especially when some points may be borderline ignorant - what do you know about the inner workings of Valve, the teams behind these various games and their long-term business plans?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.