Why are there more idiots in this game than any other game?

#1 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -

Seriously, I tried playing online again today (Scavenge) and after suffering through a couple matches, I refuse to play this game online ever again unless I am accompanied by a friend. On one match (the Hotel with pool area in Dark Carnival) a Spitter gooed the generator, causing my teammate that was pouring gas to get downed and pounced by a hunter. This wasn't the problem though, because it wasn't his fault. However, the moron playing as Rochelle then ran over, took the 2 gas cans that I had set down, and proceeded to throw them into the fire. So not only was our guy getting clawed to death, burned by acid, and incinerated by fire, but we were now down 3 cans (including the one he was holding) and we needed 16 to tie it up (yes, the other team managed to get all 16 cans poured during their turn). It's dipshits like these people that are ruining the game for me. So I ask you, why are there more incompetent teammates in this game than any other game out there? Is it because Left 4 Dead 2 is a cooperative game, and idiots flock to cooperative games to be stupid? I just don't get it.

#2 Posted by William (441 posts) -

It's ALWAYS Rochelle.

#3 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2051 posts) -

Co-op games such as these tend not to work so well unless you play with people you know and trust.

#4 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

It's a mystery to me too.

My top scientific analysts are still looking into this problem. I'll get back to you with a graph later.

#5 Posted by Yummylee (21302 posts) -

Thats random matchmaking for yah.
#6 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" It's a mystery to me too.  My top scientific analysts are still looking into this problem. I'll get back to you with a graph later. "
I appreciate that. Please let me know when the data-gathering is complete.
#7 Posted by Dethfish (3630 posts) -

I haven't played online in L4D2 very much but I've still seen some idiots too. Why do people run as fast as they can through a level in versus rather than stick together? That doesn't seem like a good strategy. One time half the enemy team camped in the safe room while the other half sprinted through the level.

I did get on a really good team once though. They knew what the hell they were doing. I was probably the idiot on that team.

#8 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i think it is because vavle really had the ads for it. so the people noticed this game and decided to join. left 4 dead 1 had great people to play with while 2 now have assholes. i just think it is because people noticed this game.

#9 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I think it just becomes more obvious how dumb the people you're playing with are when you actually have to team up and work together with them. When you run into these idiots in free-for-all, for instance, you just kill them and think you're awesome for racking up so many kills. This is one reason why arcades were so awesome. If you had such a stupid teammate, you could literally punch them right in the face.

#10 Posted by AndrewB (7519 posts) -

This is also why I'll never play with strangers: because I'd probably be terrible, and then I'd have people complaining about me. Of course, I wouldn't be bad enough to knowingly throw gas cans to their doom, but still...

#11 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

Cause smart people know that game sucks.. (sorry but it was too easy, and this game does suck and brainless)

#12 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

You make a good point now that I think about it.  A lost of the people who play Left 4 Dead 2 are pretty dumb.  I play a lot of Left 4 Dead 2.... so am I dumb?  Oh god I hope not.

#13 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -

That's just how it is when its about a game where people should be working together in a co-op like scenario, you get the worst of the worst idiots in those.

#14 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

So weird, maybe I played on an exceptionally well day or something, I dunno, but I got every single scavenge achievement in one night and never ran into many retards. Maybe some people that weren't sure what they doing but no dumb shit like that.

#15 Posted by crystalskull2 (437 posts) -

Probably because you're all killing mindless zombies.

#16 Posted by lukeyk (140 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
"Thats random matchmaking for yah. "

Ah steam says differently. 

Apperanently steam ( im not sure whether the 360 does) Compiles you stats and puts them into their match making system, So if you shoot you team a lot youll go into a team that will shoot their team a lot and so on. 

But really i doubt they do that they probaly just lie and do it random.
#17 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -
@Dethfish77 said:
" I haven't played online in L4D2 very much but I've still seen some idiots too. Why do people run as fast as they can through a level in versus rather than stick together? That doesn't seem like a good strategy. One time half the enemy team camped in the safe room while the other half sprinted through the level.  I did get on a really good team once though. They knew what the hell they were doing. I was probably the idiot on that team. "
Because you get more points the further you get in Versus. I always sprint as far as possible. In L4D it was super easy to beat the first level of the first campaign if you rushed it.
#18 Posted by Elsirus (1 posts) -

I've noticed this too. Idiots with no common sense, tossing gas cans into spitter goo or healing (with 60 health, i may add) while a hunter go to town on Coach two feet away from them. It amazes me how dumb kids can be. I usually check out my teammates achievements, as bad as that sounds. If they have left 4 dead one, or they have a majority of the achievements, i usually rely on them. Otherwise, I hop on over to the other team.
#19 Posted by deathface123 (81 posts) -

to be a competenet l4d player probably requires more dedication and common sense than most of the 13 yr old kids that populate XBL can manage. its more noticeable if yr team mates suck on l4d as you must RELY on them to succeed. i love l4d2 but ive decided not to play it again til at least mid january. 

cant deal with XMAS NOOBS!!!

#20 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" Seriously, I tried playing online again today (Scavenge) and after suffering through a couple matches, I refuse to play this game online ever again unless I am accompanied by a friend. On one match (the Hotel with pool area in Dark Carnival) a Spitter gooed the generator, causing my teammate that was pouring gas to get downed and pounced by a hunter. This wasn't the problem though, because it wasn't his fault. However, the moron playing as Rochelle then ran over, took the 2 gas cans that I had set down, and proceeded to throw them into the fire. So not only was our guy getting clawed to death, burned by acid, and incinerated by fire, but we were now down 3 cans (including the one he was holding) and we needed 16 to tie it up (yes, the other team managed to get all 16 cans poured during their turn). It's dipshits like these people that are ruining the game for me. So I ask you, why are there more incompetent teammates in this game than any other game out there? Is it because Left 4 Dead 2 is a cooperative game, and idiots flock to cooperative games to be stupid? I just don't get it. "
Surprised that people are actually playing this. After watching a trailer and finding out that most of the white protagonists are replaced with blacks and having Zoe removed, I lost interest.
#21 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

I've met ALOT more idiots in MW2.

#22 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

Pffff.  Clearly you have never plaed Counter-Strike: Source.

#23 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

i just got kicked for dieing in a match. geez o-o. 

#24 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@iam3green said:
" i think it is because vavle really had the ads for it. so the people noticed this game and decided to join. left 4 dead 1 had great people to play with while 2 now have assholes. i just think it is because people noticed this game. "
yeah video games are like metal music, the less advertising and getting it out to the public (which attracts very random bad types of bag-heads) the greater it stays and the better the experience and content are.
#25 Posted by AestheticSynthesis (414 posts) -

This game is about system linking in your living room. The amount of cooperation needed is far too great for the typical anon.

#26 Posted by lukeissxc (245 posts) -

When you find someone with a mic who knows how to play you should friend them fast. I have a lot of friends on this game now that are really good and we win most games we play. After playing so long with them I will never do random matchmaking again.

#27 Posted by natetodamax (19177 posts) -
@lukeissxc said:
" When you find someone with a mic who knows how to play you should friend them fast. I have a lot of friends on this game now that are really good and we win most games we play. After playing so long with them I will never do random matchmaking again. "
I used to do that, but found that my friends list would get filled with people that I would play with once and never bother to play with them again.
#28 Edited by RsistncE (4496 posts) -
@DuhQbnSiLo said:

" Cause smart people know that game sucks.. (sorry but it was too easy, and this game does suck and brainless) "

Awww, someones butthurt because they: 
a) suck at the game or
b) can't play the game for a variety of reasons

Everyone point and laugh!

#29 Posted by ADTR_ZERO (1060 posts) -

You don't have SOCOM: Confrontation, do you? 

Half the games you will get voted out because your name sucks, clan tag sucks, your choice of weapons sucks, etc. And that's not just me, that's everybody in the game. 

Left 4 Dead 2 seems just peachy where I come from.

#30 Posted by lukeissxc (245 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" @lukeissxc said:
" When you find someone with a mic who knows how to play you should friend them fast. I have a lot of friends on this game now that are really good and we win most games we play. After playing so long with them I will never do random matchmaking again. "
I used to do that, but found that my friends list would get filled with people that I would play with once and never bother to play with them again. "
If you want to play sometime you can send me a friends request and I can get you into some games with some of my friends. My gamertag is the same as this username. We're on a lot of the time and we almost always win.
#31 Posted by Shiftshaper (322 posts) -

You know one thing that frustrates me even more then bad L4D players? Assholes who go bitch on forums about them with a sick sense of supriority. I remember when I first got into L4D and people were constantly calling me an idiot or motherfucker. It really made me think about how these people react to frustration away from their pc. 

I guess they either go completely mental over the slightest source of irritation or just keep it all inside, silently but strongly mumbling to themselves, and denying they did so when questioned about it. "I'll go play L4D tonight" the troubled individual thinks, "and curse the hell at people I dont because they lack military coordination and the abillity to read my mind." 

Really it isnt the bad players of the L4D community that frustrate me, as long as they dont try to fuck it up on purpose I can usually stay kind to them, it's people on here that make me grind my teeth.
#32 Edited by BraveFart (298 posts) -

cuz most idiots like zombies ? :D

just kidding !

then i would be an idiot myself :P

#33 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

That's a good question. I played in a few PUGS and it was horrendous. One group I was in managed to get to the final act in the Dark Carnival campaign. Once the concert got started the person playing as Rochelle kept throwing boxes of fireworks all over the place and idiots would just run into them when they were set off. It was funny at first, but after the 5th time...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.