Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

Fuck Valve

• 54 results
    Avatar image for gobiasindustries
    GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By GobiasIndustries

I never thought I'd say that.

Is anyone else getting sick of these constant updates that completely change the fucking game people love?

I'm playing L4D on PC, I get on today (like I always do because I was addicted to this game) and they've suddenly changed the game to where when you're a survivor, your melee attack has to RECHARGE.

...WHAT?!

What the fuck were they thinking? Why do they think they constantly have to "fix" things that nobody has a problem with in the first place? Same with Team Fortress 2. Every time I walk out as heavy or something in TF2 I get hit with like 30 fucking baseballs that stun me.

Why did they have to go and ruin something I loved so much? Why?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

That constant support is part of the reason people love Valve.

GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GobiasIndustries

I agree, I'm not saying updates are stupid. I'm saying a few specific ones are stupid.

I don't mean to be a whiny bitch but seriously, it makes me not even want to play their amazing game that I love.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By turbomonkey138

what a minor thing to hate about a game .

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz

They fixed the melee because it was being abused to high-fucking-heaven. People seriosuly abused that making it next to impossible for Hunters to get the jump half the time, and when you have to wait 20 seconds to respawn it became intolerable. Especially when most of the time you respawn as a Hunter, only to walk into the melee spamming survivors luling down their mics.

About bloody time they fixed that.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By turbomonkey138
    Hamz said:
    "They fixed the melee because it was being abused to high-fucking-heaven. People seriosuly abused that making it next to impossible for Hunters to get the jump half the time, and when you have to wait 20 seconds to respawn it became intolerable. Especially when most of the time you respawn as a Hunter, only to walk into the melee spamming survivors luling down their mics.About bloody time they fixed that."
    thats why valve is keeping PC gaming alive
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

It's called nerfing.  Always hate it when companies break something that was perfectly balanced (I think TF2 is an especially good example).  I would rather them boost Hunters a little than this, how long is the delay anyways?

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ltcoljaxson
    Diamond said:
    "It's called nerfing.  Always hate it when companies break something that was perfectly balanced (I think TF2 is an especially good example).  I would rather them boost Hunters a little than this, how long is the delay anyways?"
    They should have just made the melee damage your teammates, or just stun them. That would fix the corner issue, and any melee spamming as a group.

Melee recharge sounds lame... haven't played L4D for a while though but I have the PC version too. The melee was just great for running around, even when you weren't corner spamming.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By SpecTackle

The melee spam needed to be fixed, end of discussion. They nerfed flaming hunters a few weeks ago to balance out infected, and this is the survivor balance. There should be no surefire "shutdown" methods for dealing with other players on the opposite side in versus. The flaming hunter's damage needed to be reduced (though I don't agree it should've been reduced as much as it was) and the melee spam being anti hunter mode was complete bullshit. You now have to time your melees and conserve them, how dare they make the game more skill based.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By Geno

Because melee spam was way too overpowered.

GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GobiasIndustries

Well a good infected team can easily take down a bunch of melee spammers. Also, I can't wait to see how many people can beat Expert campaigns NOW.

Oh well, I don't really  mean "fuck valve" it just kind of pisses me off.  It's not that awful of an update but it just seems like something that never needed fixing. The game was already fairly balanced.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hamz
    GobiasIndustries said:
    "Well a good infected team can easily take down a bunch of melee spammers. Also, I can't wait to see how many people can beat Expert campaigns NOW. Oh well, I don't really  mean "fuck valve" it just kind of pisses me off.  It's not that awful of an update but it just seems like something that never needed fixing. The game was already fairly balanced."
    The patch notes clearly state the melee recharge is ONLY in Versus mode. Normal campaign mode has regular, spammable melee.
    GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GobiasIndustries
    Hamz said:
    "GobiasIndustries said:
    "Well a good infected team can easily take down a bunch of melee spammers. Also, I can't wait to see how many people can beat Expert campaigns NOW. Oh well, I don't really  mean "fuck valve" it just kind of pisses me off.  It's not that awful of an update but it just seems like something that never needed fixing. The game was already fairly balanced."
    The patch notes clearly state the melee recharge is ONLY in Versus mode. Normal campaign mode has regular, spammable melee."
    Oh ok I wasn't aware of that :/

/embarassed
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don`t play TF2 because of the patches, I logged in and pyro's all had over powered flamethrowers and found out all classes were getting upgradable guns, which pissed me off.
    I hope they don`t ruin L4D for me.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By turbomonkey138
    Bucketdeth said:
    "I don`t play TF2 because of the patches, I logged in and pyro's all had over powered flamethrowers and found out all classes were getting upgradable guns, which pissed me off.I hope they don`t ruin L4D for me."
    It is worse . Now the scouts have been given invunerability 
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By PureRok

Is the cool down only in Versus?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, L4D isn't really by Valve. They picked up the studio working on it mid-development. I think.

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Naughton
    License_To_Bill said:
    "To be fair, L4D isn't really by Valve. They picked up the studio working on it mid-development. I think."

Turtle Rock started development on L4D , but was bought by Valve early last year. But Valve had been highly involved with Turtle Rock for quite a while before that, as well.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Yeh I don't like Steam much for the fact it forces updates and tbh I prefer the old days on CS where you could choose the version you wanted to play and I wish I could do the same because I much prefer the pre patch days of TF2, the game was perfect at launch but a few exploits and then they ruined it all with achievements and changes to classes.

Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VitaminWaterYum
    turbomonkey138 said:
    "Bucketdeth said:
    "I don`t play TF2 because of the patches, I logged in and pyro's all had over powered flamethrowers and found out all classes were getting upgradable guns, which pissed me off.I hope they don`t ruin L4D for me."
    It is worse . Now the scouts have been given invunerability  "
    Hardly worth complaining about. You can't shoot or take points, not only that but come end of the buff, you're slowed down.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PureRok
    PapaLazarou said:
    "Yeh I don't like Steam much for the fact it forces updates and tbh I prefer the old days on CS where you could choose the version you wanted to play and I wish I could do the same because I much prefer the pre patch days of TF2, the game was perfect at launch but a few exploits and then they ruined it all with achievements and changes to classes. "
    You do realize you can turn off auto-update, correct? Steam doesn't force updates on you.
    lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lamegame621

I love Valve.

Ouroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ouroboros

I play the game on 360 which gets quartly updates if any - I think the one we just got a few weeks ago was the patch for the Smoker, I havent test it though.  I can guarentee it will make the game 100% different to play when it hits though, I'm kind of happy I have it for 360 now since I dont think I'd be able to handle the melee recharge.  Its the only thing at your disposal when you're surrounded by Zombies and low on ammo.  And yes, I'm talking about Versus.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iamjohn
    GobiasIndustries said:
    "Fuck Valve"
    No, fuck you.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By atejas
    GobiasIndustries said:
    "I never thought I'd say that.Is anyone else getting sick of these constant updates that completely change the fucking game people love?I'm playing L4D on PC, I get on today (like I always do because I was addicted to this game) and they've suddenly changed the game to where when you're a survivor, your melee attack has to RECHARGE....WHAT?!
    Oh yes, there was absolutely no problem with a spammable melee attack, especially with the introduction of Versus mode. I mean, how could something so little unbalance the game, right?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ee2492b629bb
    deactivated-5ee2492b629bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naughton said:
    "License_To_Bill said:
    "To be fair, L4D isn't really by Valve. They picked up the studio working on it mid-development. I think."
    Turtle Rock started development on L4D , but was bought by Valve early last year. But Valve had been highly involved with Turtle Rock for quite a while before that, as well."
    Thanks. :o)
    GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GobiasIndustries
    atejas said:
    "GobiasIndustries said:
    "I never thought I'd say that.Is anyone else getting sick of these constant updates that completely change the fucking game people love?I'm playing L4D on PC, I get on today (like I always do because I was addicted to this game) and they've suddenly changed the game to where when you're a survivor, your melee attack has to RECHARGE....WHAT?!
    Oh yes, there was absolutely no problem with a spammable melee attack, especially with the introduction of Versus mode. I mean, how could something so little unbalance the game, right?"
    The melee never unbalanced the game. Versus mode has been fun as hell to play since the game came out, and nobody would be playing it if the Survivors had that much of an advantage.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By atejas
    GobiasIndustries said:
    "atejas said:
    "GobiasIndustries said:
    Oh yes, there was absolutely no problem with a spammable melee attack, especially with the introduction of Versus mode. I mean, how could something so little unbalance the game, right?"
    The melee never unbalanced the game. Versus mode has been fun as hell to play since the game came out, and nobody would be playing it if the Survivors had that much of an advantage."
    I'm only speaking from secondhand experience here, so forgive me, but that's really not what I hear. Apparently the survivors were a bit overpowered the last time I checked a discussion.
    GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GobiasIndustries

Alright well I guess it just depends on different people. Apparently there was a response from people which is why they patched it. I'll get used to it, but I won't like it :]

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kozzy1234

haha, the new update is AWESOME.
    People cant sit in teh corner and MELEE for 30mins straight without the character gettign tired.
    Whats wrong with only being able to melee a bit instead of unlimited?
    Your telling me you wouldnt get a little tired after shoving hundreds of zombeis around?

Gimme a break man, it takes MUCH more skill now on Left4Dead imo. The survivors have to do something othen then Melee 24-7! People have to shoot now!

Not disrespect mate, but people who dont like the new melee improvements need to practise and learn how to play without doing the melee all the time.

Valve made the change for a good reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

PureRok said:
    "PapaLazarou said:
    "Yeh I don't like Steam much for the fact it forces updates and tbh I prefer the old days on CS where you could choose the version you wanted to play and I wish I could do the same because I much prefer the pre patch days of TF2, the game was perfect at launch but a few exploits and then they ruined it all with achievements and changes to classes. "
    You do realize you can turn off auto-update, correct? Steam doesn't force updates on you."

yeh but u cant choose ur patch
    Jecrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By Jecrell

In my opinion the clip-cornering needs fixing as well, let the survivors' melee recharge be infinite while clipping into somebody else and we'll move a little closer towards having the game as it should be. You can't say "hey clearly this is how the game was intended" while spectating a bunch of survivors sitting in a corner clipping through each other spamming melee push in every single horde event largely immune to the danger.

A good infected team has its tactical options largely removed when survivors clip. Sure there are exploitable counters, such as jumping as a hunter, standing on their heads, and slapping down, but other than that you might as well just wait it out as infected despite the crescendos being a time where the survivors are supposed to be largley in danger. Instead it's a joke.

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wolswor

Ah thank god, the melee abuse was retarded, the only way to play as a hunter was to be in a VERY coordinated group, or the survivors had to flat out suck. 

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Alexander

In terms of balancing the multiplayer it was needed. It will make the single player harder though!

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By breadfan

I haven't played Left 4 Dead recently enough to notice the update, but in versus it was such a pain in the ass to play as a hunter when someone would just corner camp and melee until you die. 

Epic1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Epic1990
    Alexander said:
    "In terms of balancing the multiplayer it was needed. It will make the single player harder though!"
    None of the uptdates affect campaign I don't think.

Epic1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Epic1990
    Jecrell said:
    "In my opinion the clip-cornering needs fixing as well, let the survivors' melee recharge be infinite while clipping into somebody else and we'll move a little closer towards having the game as it should be. You can't say "hey clearly this is how the game was intended" while spectating a bunch of survivors sitting in a corner clipping through each other spamming melee push in every single horde event largely immune to the danger.A good infected team has its tactical options largely removed when survivors clip. Sure there are exploitable counters, such as jumping as a hunter, standing on their heads, and slapping down, but other than that you might as well just wait it out as infected despite the crescendos being a time where the survivors are supposed to be largley in danger. Instead it's a joke."
    What my friends and I do is wait for the boomer to spawn, run in, suicided, then all constrictors move in at the same time. Works better than one might think.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By mracoon

They only change things to make them more blanced. They're constantly getting stats from the game and they can see where things are getting exploited, like the melee.

I don't think Valve would change things just to annoy people, they're obviously looking at what's going on and making changes based on that.

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Scorched

it's only in versus
    valve has constantly been patching exploits in L4D
    I play all the time and every time there are old exploits that no longer work
    overall this is good for the enjoyment of all players
    and if you want to play with no recharge in versus host your own server and change the settings

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By williamhenry
    Ouroboros said:
    "I play the game on 360 which gets quartly updates if any - I think the one we just got a few weeks ago was the patch for the Smoker, I havent test it though.  I can guarentee it will make the game 100% different to play when it hits though, I'm kind of happy I have it for 360 now since I dont think I'd be able to handle the melee recharge.  Its the only thing at your disposal when you're surrounded by Zombies and low on ammo.  And yes, I'm talking about Versus."
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but melee recharge is coming to the 360 with the DLC on the 21st.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By jakob187
    DivineCC said:
    "Ouroboros said:
    "I play the game on 360 which gets quartly updates if any - I think the one we just got a few weeks ago was the patch for the Smoker, I havent test it though.  I can guarentee it will make the game 100% different to play when it hits though, I'm kind of happy I have it for 360 now since I dont think I'd be able to handle the melee recharge.  Its the only thing at your disposal when you're surrounded by Zombies and low on ammo.  And yes, I'm talking about Versus."
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but melee recharge is coming to the 360 with the DLC on the 21st."
    The DLC is coming on the 21st?  SWEET!!!

I've been waiting for the melee spams and dumpster blocks to be taken away so I can play this game again.  The Versus mode is so fucking great...when you don't have people abusing stupid shit to fuck the game up.
    williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By williamhenry
    jakob187 said:
    "DivineCC said:
    "Ouroboros said:
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but melee recharge is coming to the 360 with the DLC on the 21st."
    The DLC is coming on the 21st?  SWEET!!!

I've been waiting for the melee spams and dumpster blocks to be taken away so I can play this game again.  The Versus mode is so fucking great...when you don't have people abusing stupid shit to fuck the game up.
    "
    The ability for the infected team to block stuff has been gone for a while.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pause422

I'm really glad this happened honestly. The very second I played L4D for the first time on Versus the night it came out last November, I said  to myself" Its gonna be funny when they eventually nerf the melee, all these piece of garbage players are gonna bitch and moan, and I'm just gonna laugh". Now its finally happened.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Clean

I don't got a problem with Valve, they've been making the game better. No more cheap shit goes on.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jmrwacko

Constant melee made the game way too easy. This was a fix. Don't be hating.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By Gmanall

It is a double edged sword, BTW how long did yo play with that update, I find that you have to give valve a lot more credit then it seems like you are giving. They are always making the game better and you have to trust that what ever they are doing is for the best of the game.   

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
    lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

it was a GREAT fix. melee was abused.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By suneku

I really dislike the melee cool down, although I can adapt and haven't had a problem. To be honest, I didn't even know you could hold down the melee button lol... I've always just kept clicking my LT to melee.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CL60

lol@this topic.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Hitchenson
    iAmJohn said:
    "GobiasIndustries said:
    "Fuck Valve"
    No, fuck you.
    "
    ^

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.