Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

L4D: SURVIVAL MODE IMPRESSIONS

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Ok, so I downloaded the free L4D update for some ALL NEW SHINY survival mode. Yep, it's basically Horde mode. Except, uh, its hard as fuck.

No Caption Provided

The Beef

With survival mode comes the addition of Last Stand - a never-ending finale, on an incrementing difficulty, where you and 3 others are trapped in a lighthouse area. There are LOADS of Pipe-Bombs and Molotovs and Gas Canisters and Kerosene EVERYWHERE. But pretty much all the walls can be destroyed so any room which looks safe probably wont stay that way for very long.
    After about 1 minute of what seemed like being constantly coated in Boomer Bile, the game actually got harder. waves began to include multiple Boss Infected instead of just 1 or 2 at a time. Often we found ourselves fighting off a combination of several Hunters, Smokers and Boomers all at once (highest count was about 5). After about 1 minute and a half the never ending stream of Tanks begins, and if you don't kill them fast enough you end up with 2 tanks as the next one seems to spawn soon after. I remember seeing this graph on the L4D blog.

No Caption Provided
    Anyway basically you don't get a chance to revive, you don't have time to heal or pick up ammo, its basically a constant barrage. There is now a slight charge time on the Melee if you Melee too many times in quick succession, so you can't just sit in a corner and bash them away forever any more. You can't stay still for too long because the tanks fuck you up, and there is always a smoker really to suck you out of any hidey hole (of which there are very VERY few). The highlight of my game was watching Francis be punched off the top of the lighthouse by a Tank (instant death) only to be plucked out of mid-fucking-air by a Smokers tongue . So I guess their accuracy has been given a little boost as well.

If all this sounds a little intimidating, then that's about right. Valve really aren't fucking about with this one. I'm no zombie lightweight, and I have completed all 4 campaigns on Expert and played copious amounts of Vs mode. Yet me, and my party, played for almost 2 hours and we never lasted more than 3:10. Yep, just over 3 minutes. To get a Bronze you need to survive for 4. We searched desperately for places to hide, efficient ways to mount a defence - every time we were completely overwhelmed. Every suggestion was a total failure. For the first time in a long time, I have actually NO IDEA how the fuck to complete this mode.

That's totally awesome.

I look forward to assembling a team of the most anger fuelled Zombie hunting badasses available. I'm looking at you Casey, Wallace, Oni.... ok maybe not Wallace. These zombies aren't going to shoot THEMSELVES in the face. Time to dust of your copies of L4D lads.

See you at the lighthouse.
    Love Sweep.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Ok, so I downloaded the free L4D update for some ALL NEW SHINY survival mode. Yep, it's basically Horde mode. Except, uh, its hard as fuck.

No Caption Provided

The Beef

With survival mode comes the addition of Last Stand - a never-ending finale, on an incrementing difficulty, where you and 3 others are trapped in a lighthouse area. There are LOADS of Pipe-Bombs and Molotovs and Gas Canisters and Kerosene EVERYWHERE. But pretty much all the walls can be destroyed so any room which looks safe probably wont stay that way for very long.
    After about 1 minute of what seemed like being constantly coated in Boomer Bile, the game actually got harder. waves began to include multiple Boss Infected instead of just 1 or 2 at a time. Often we found ourselves fighting off a combination of several Hunters, Smokers and Boomers all at once (highest count was about 5). After about 1 minute and a half the never ending stream of Tanks begins, and if you don't kill them fast enough you end up with 2 tanks as the next one seems to spawn soon after. I remember seeing this graph on the L4D blog.

No Caption Provided
    Anyway basically you don't get a chance to revive, you don't have time to heal or pick up ammo, its basically a constant barrage. There is now a slight charge time on the Melee if you Melee too many times in quick succession, so you can't just sit in a corner and bash them away forever any more. You can't stay still for too long because the tanks fuck you up, and there is always a smoker really to suck you out of any hidey hole (of which there are very VERY few). The highlight of my game was watching Francis be punched off the top of the lighthouse by a Tank (instant death) only to be plucked out of mid-fucking-air by a Smokers tongue . So I guess their accuracy has been given a little boost as well.

If all this sounds a little intimidating, then that's about right. Valve really aren't fucking about with this one. I'm no zombie lightweight, and I have completed all 4 campaigns on Expert and played copious amounts of Vs mode. Yet me, and my party, played for almost 2 hours and we never lasted more than 3:10. Yep, just over 3 minutes. To get a Bronze you need to survive for 4. We searched desperately for places to hide, efficient ways to mount a defence - every time we were completely overwhelmed. Every suggestion was a total failure. For the first time in a long time, I have actually NO IDEA how the fuck to complete this mode.

That's totally awesome.

I look forward to assembling a team of the most anger fuelled Zombie hunting badasses available. I'm looking at you Casey, Wallace, Oni.... ok maybe not Wallace. These zombies aren't going to shoot THEMSELVES in the face. Time to dust of your copies of L4D lads.

See you at the lighthouse.
    Love Sweep.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Just sold my copy...but luckily, there's 8 copies here at work.  = D

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I think Valve should balance it to be harder after every 4 minutes and make the first 4 minutes to be easy. It would be more fun and comfortable.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By thordain

Man, if I was any good at L4D I'd probably play the heck out of this. I guess I can let Jecrell carry the team again.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By RHCPfan24

I can't wait to get to play this this weekend. Its downloaded and ready when I am.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

What's a few brains among friends, can't we all just be zombies.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By End_Boss

I know you only didn't list me as part of your zombie team 'cause you're still sore over HOW HARD I OWN YOU AT STREET FIGHTER.

Seriously though, good blog man. Made me feel all tingly inside. Very arousing.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By breadfan

This new survival pack is just what I needed to get back into Left 4 Dead.  The addition of the Dead Air and Death Toll campaigns for versus will keep things fresh and the new Survival Mode itself is so a ton of fun.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By DJ_Lae

It is hard as fuck, but it's fun.

Best time I had wa 3:50...but the ten seconds prior to that were nailbiting as I'd just been downed by a tank, Francis was dead, and Zoe and Bill were desperately trying to fight off a smoker, hunter, and the same tank that took me down. I stared at that timer, hoping that I would survive long enough while incapacitated to cross over that 4 minute mark...but no luck.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sweep  Moderator

It really is awesome. I can't focus on my work, I just want to go home and play. I have a feeling the reason I did so terrible was because my survival team were a bunch of chumps.

End_Boss, get your damn 360!!

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By RandomHero666

I need to get this game again =/
    Damn Sweep making me spend money!

ps.. fanx =D

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Oni

I am so ready for this! Let's fuck some zombies UP

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By mracoon

This is one hard mode. The difficulty ramps up quickly and before you now it your swamped with every enemy time the game has to throw at you and you end up very dead.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By natetodamax

Survival Mode is a genius idea, but is hard as hell and it's difficult to find teammates that actually want to work with you instead of being a bitch and glitching

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.