Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

Left 4 Dead stutters every few minutes.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By artofwar420

So excited as anything I double click on the L4D entry in my Steam windows. I watch the awesome intro, pumped up I look for a game. Quickly I find one and we start. Then the real nightmare begins, the game freezes for a few SECONDS and makes it very annoying and hard to play.

So I went to the forums/google. Turns out it was such a bemoaned problem that the devs put in an option in the "Advanced Video Settings" to turn off multi core aid, or something like that. So I turned that off and voila! This fix will however knock a couple of fps in your game. Nothing horrible just slightly noticeable.

SIGH! Oh well at least I can play the game.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By artofwar420

So excited as anything I double click on the L4D entry in my Steam windows. I watch the awesome intro, pumped up I look for a game. Quickly I find one and we start. Then the real nightmare begins, the game freezes for a few SECONDS and makes it very annoying and hard to play.

So I went to the forums/google. Turns out it was such a bemoaned problem that the devs put in an option in the "Advanced Video Settings" to turn off multi core aid, or something like that. So I turned that off and voila! This fix will however knock a couple of fps in your game. Nothing horrible just slightly noticeable.

SIGH! Oh well at least I can play the game.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By mracoon

That's weird, I've never really had any problems with the game. It all depends on your PC I guess.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By myke_tuna

Yeah I don't know what the deal is. I had that problem too the first day it was out and I bought it. mracoon, do you have that feature on and working fine? I've never seen anyone get it to work. I just built my lil bro a new pc for Xmas and we bought L4D and same problem happened. Maybe it's because we're both using AMD processors. mracoon, you using an Intel processor? lol. Sorry for the questions man. Just wondering.

tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By tokyochicken

Its a small trade off, at least things play for the most part.

LokiZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By LokiZee

And this is why I LOVE console gaming. The little nuiances that is PC hardware, software, settings, viruses, and all that good google is just a hassle to me. Someone tell me why PC gaming is better. (Damn, I just asked for it, didn't I?) Hehehehehehe.

Xiemos2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Xiemos2

I'm pretty sure it has to do with your video card drivers--at least it did for me and a friend. Nvidia drivers specifically. The 178.xx drivers don't cause stuttering, but the 180.xx + add in the multithreading/core support, which doesn't seem to be compatible with L4D..so you gotta turn it off in adv options or enter in mat_queue_mode 0 in console   :|

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By mracoon
    myketuna said:
    "Yeah I don't know what the deal is. I had that problem too the first day it was out and I bought it. mracoon, do you have that feature on and working fine? I've never seen anyone get it to work. I just built my lil bro a new pc for Xmas and we bought L4D and same problem happened. Maybe it's because we're both using AMD processors. mracoon, you using an Intel processor? lol. Sorry for the questions man. Just wondering.
    "
    I'm using an AMD processor but I'm not sure if I have the specific setting on, I'll have to check next time I play.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond
    LokiZee said:
    "And this is why I LOVE console gaming. The little nuiances that is PC hardware, software, settings, viruses, and all that good google is just a hassle to me."
    I PC gamed a lot, and the problem isn't even settings or viruses or drivers, it's situations where you just can't tell what the problem is and you just can't fix it.  Not to toot my own horn, but I know a LOT about computers, and I've run into problems that I'm certainly noone on Earth could explain.  I've talked to developers of games directly online and they couldn't help me with the games they developed themselves.  When a fresh reformat from retail Windows disks in a secure environment introduces problems rather than fixing them, you know you're screwed.  Not that every PC gaming experience is like that, but when 15% of the games you play just won't work fully right, and one of those is something that you really wanted to play, it kills the experience for you.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpecTackle
    LokiZee said:
    "And this is why I LOVE console gaming. The little nuiances that is PC hardware, software, settings, viruses, and all that good google is just a hassle to me. Someone tell me why PC gaming is better. (Damn, I just asked for it, didn't I?) Hehehehehehe."
    Yes because questionable performance is limited to PCs. Games like Infinite Undiscovery don't exist.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    CynageN said:
    "LokiZee said:
    "And this is why I LOVE console gaming. The little nuiances that is PC hardware, software, settings, viruses, and all that good google is just a hassle to me. Someone tell me why PC gaming is better. (Damn, I just asked for it, didn't I?) Hehehehehehe."
    Yes because questionable performance is limited to PCs. Games like Infinite Undiscovery don't exist.
    "
    Are you saying that Infinite Undiscovery is technically flawed?  It's really not in any way.  Pretty underrated, I think the X-Play review nailed it, suprisingly.  I think you're referencing the Last Remnant which is fixed with a HDD install.  If not, that thing runs like a whore.  Either way though, you're going to have texture pop up when you enter a new area for 1-2 seconds---> it is the unreal engine though, what UE game doesn't do that?  Well, I guess Lost Odyssey, but the others I can't remember.  Even gears 2 has texture pop up and that's made by Epic- just a thing of the engine

Console games typically run fine and I've never played a console game that was broken.  The worse is stuff like Earth Defense Force 2017 for the 360-->a certain times it'll slow down like crap.
    Pc games, besides the obvious is your computer up to it, often will have a conflict with the software.  Try playing Stalker without patches to see what I mean.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SpecTackle
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "CynageN said:
    "LokiZee said:
    "
    Are you saying that Infinite Undiscovery is technically flawed?  It's really not in any way.  Pretty underrated, I think the X-Play review nailed it, suprisingly.  I think you're referencing the Last Remnant which is fixed with a HDD install.  If not, that thing runs like a whore.  Either way though, you're going to have texture pop up when you enter a new area for 1-2 seconds---> it is the unreal engine though, what UE game doesn't do that?  Well, I guess Lost Odyssey, but the others I can't remember.  Even gears 2 has texture pop up and that's made by Epic- just a thing of the engine

Console games typically run fine and I've never played a console game that was broken.  The worse is stuff like Earth Defense Force 2017 for the 360-->a certain times it'll slow down like crap.
    Pc games, besides the obvious is your computer up to it, often will have a conflict with the software.  Try playing Stalker without patches to see what I mean.
    "
    What's your point? I really don't care to have a system wars discussion with you. Many PC games run flawlessly for many people. Console games are NOT shielded from poor performance despite their enclosed hardware environments. The need for game patching is not limited to PC's either, thus the title update features on both the 360 and PS3. As long as you know what you're doing with a pc, you can generally weed out any performance issues with games yourself unless the game itself is horribly broken. You don't get the former with consoles. And if the game is broken, just like if a console game has issues, wait for a fucking patch. WELCOME TO MODERN GAMING. Christ.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond
    CynageN said:
    What's your point? I really don't care to have a system wars discussion with you. Many PC games run flawlessly for many people. Console games are NOT shielded from poor performance despite their enclosed hardware environments. The need for game patching is not limited to PC's either, thus the title update features on both the 360 and PS3. As long as you know what you're doing with a pc, you can generally weed out any performance issues with games yourself unless the game itself is horribly broken. You don't get the former with consoles. And if the game is broken, just like if a console game has issues, wait for a fucking patch. WELCOME TO MODERN GAMING. Christ.
    "
    Consoles are consistent, and 99.999% of console games will be playable on the console it was designed for.  On PC, even with decent specs and technical knowledge, there is still a small chance you'll have severe problems running a game.  Last Remnant when uninstalled on 360 is not optimal, but it's still a playable game despite load times, streaming textures, and frame rate problems.  The vast majority of console games play perfectly well, tight controls, optimized and locked framerates (even if it's more likely 30fps than 60fps).  On 360 and PS3, if you buy SF4 you're guaranteed a solid 60fps performance, on PC even if you have a high spec computer, you run a great risk of framerate hitching and other more severe problems, there's just too many processes and variables on a PC to guarantee a perfectly steady framerate.

It's rarely a simple matter to 'weed out any performance issues' in PC games.  Steam causing hitches in the original HL2 was a big problem for millions of gamers, this wasn't something anyone could fix for themselves.  I see resolving performance issues that aren't related directly to bad coding as an even worse problem in PC gaming today than it was years ago.  In DOS I once added 10% performance to all my games across the board by resolving an IRQ conflict between my sound card and graphics card.  These days there is so much more running that the user cannot interact with at all in Windows, I found I was constantly running into problems that couldn't be resolved for me in PC games.  There was NEVER a time in my ~15 years of PC gaming where I wasn't having some problem with at least one of the games I wanted to play.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpecTackle
    Diamond said:
    "CynageN said:
    "
    Consoles are consistent, and 99.999% of console games will be playable on the console it was designed for.  On PC, even with decent specs and technical knowledge, there is still a small chance you'll have severe problems running a game.  Last Remnant when uninstalled on 360 is not optimal, but it's still a playable game despite load times, streaming textures, and frame rate problems.  The vast majority of console games play perfectly well, tight controls, optimized and locked framerates (even if it's more likely 30fps than 60fps).  On 360 and PS3, if you buy SF4 you're guaranteed a solid 60fps performance, on PC even if you have a high spec computer, you run a great risk of framerate hitching and other more severe problems, there's just too many processes and variables on a PC to guarantee a perfectly steady framerate.

It's rarely a simple matter to 'weed out any performance issues' in PC games.  Steam causing hitches in the original HL2 was a big problem for millions of gamers, this wasn't something anyone could fix for themselves.  I see resolving performance issues that aren't related directly to bad coding as an even worse problem in PC gaming today than it was years ago.  In DOS I once added 10% performance to all my games across the board by resolving an IRQ conflict between my sound card and graphics card.  These days there is so much more running that the user cannot interact with at all in Windows, I found I was constantly running into problems that couldn't be resolved for me in PC games.  There was NEVER a time in my ~15 years of PC gaming where I wasn't having some problem with at least one of the games I wanted to play.
    "
    It's funny, because I rarely have issues with any newly retailed game on PC. And when I do, I run a couple of diagnostics, do a couple of google searches and try to find a solution. And 99.999% of the time, that works for me. (Yes, I can throw out retarded statistics too! :D) It's all a matter of whether or not you're willing to put effort in to fixing problems yourself. You're incorrect about not being able to be able to control what goes on with your operating system even if it is windows. You may have to go about it a different way, but it's still entirely possible to correct complex problems in modern retail OSes. Software imperfections are not limited to PC gaming. It's that simple. Take a look at how many patches are needed to correct glitches in games like Gears 2. You're arguing statistics and it's pretty pointless, seeing as how there's a vast amount more of PC games total than there are console games. The skew from that fact alone is enough to make this discussion pointless.
    TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By TomA
    LokiZee said:
    Yes you did,but only a little from me:) I also enjoy console gaming,mostly because i have more friends with 360's than with game capable PC's.But if you look after your PC and update it,and know where your storing files,etc,then it's quite simple if all your doing is surfing the webz,playing games,and using word or powerpoint.

And PS:While the update for L4D may be free for both PC and 360,only PC users get the Source SDK,which is like giving us hundreads or even thousands of free maps,cause people will just make their own.So yay!
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By artofwar420
    LokiZee said:
    The reasons you listed for disliking PC gaming are the same that I love PC gaming.
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rockanomics

I had a similar problem and I found the fix was disabling multicore support in options/video/advanced. Oh are you having a system war, nevermind.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By lebkin
    CynageN said:
    "Diamond said:
    Consoles are consistent, and 99.999% of console games will be playable on the console it was designed for.  On PC, even with decent specs and technical knowledge, there is still a small chance you'll have severe problems running a game . . .
    It's funny, because I rarely have issues with any newly retailed game on PC. And when I do, I run a couple of diagnostics, do a couple of google searches and try to find a solution. And 99.999% of the time, that works for me. (Yes, I can throw out retarded statistics too! :D) It's all a matter of whether or not you're willing to put effort in to fixing problems yourself . . .
    Consoles are consistent in that every game should run the exact same on every system.  Not always the case, especially with the hardware problem prone Xbox.  But generally, if you read a review that says Last Remnant ruins like crap, it will run like crap on your Xbox.  And, because of the locked down nature of a console, there isn't really anything you can do about it.  You can't tweak settings, change options, or apply fan-made patches.  Whatever the situation is, it is stuck that way from a user prespective.  But it is easy to know these kinds of problems before hand, if only because the internet is full of people complaining about them.

PCs are inconsistent because everyone's hardware setup is different.  Not just from a hardware standpoint, but from a software one as well.  There are a huge number of possible factors that can lead to trouble playing a game.  And these problems can be unique to your particular setup, so there is no way to know beforehand what the problems be.  But, unlike a console game, there are a great many things you can do to adjust settings, tweak features, and even resort to serious modfication of a game to get it running.  As Cynage pointed out, one can become quite familar with a PC's set of quirks and easily reach the 99% percent success rate for well-run games without serious work.

Console versus PC battles on gameplay reliability are complicated.   As someone who has swapped between the two as my primary game platform (PC -> PS2 -> PC -> Xbox 360), I have experienced the goods and the bads of both.  It really all depends on what you're looking for, and what kind of problems you are willing to put up with.
    LokiZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LokiZee

I honestly didn't mean to start a "Console War", or even talk bad about a PC. I have PC gamed in the past, and enjoyed it. But beside for the technical experience most people would need to keep a PC game running flawlessly, I of course prefer a console. There are many PC games I would love to play, but I feel I would A. Have to invest a ton of money, and B.Get really pissed off from time to time because of my hardware. Congrats to you people with the computer savy.

P.S. Some positive observation for the PC, just to show you I understand where you are coming from. The technical hardware error are not only PC exclusively. I have an Xbox 360, and we have all heard about the red ring of death. Also, PCs can be upgraded, and maybe in the long run that would save you money, even if a good PC rig is expensive. Then again, most console last a good 5 years. Hmmmm.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47

One thing i've noticed was when I bought a new hardrive, I went from a sata to sata 2 hardrive and the game and bandwidth was twice as fast. It wasn't the cpu or videocard, it was the hardrive. So what kind of hardrive do you have? I belive that is the problem because all my games now are lag free because of the upgrade.

I don't know the specs of your pc, so I am saying what has helped me. It's not everyone's pc that's having problems.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.