Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

New Left 4 Dead Content Coming! Finally!

• 69 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    Start dreaming up clever new titles now.
    At this point, I think, there are two commonly accepted truths regarding Left 4 Dead about which I can avoid writing a boilerplate introduction.

• Left 4 Dead is freaking awesome.
    • Left 4 Dead needs more content.

Valve just put out a release detailing their intentions to capitalize on the first point and rectify the second. The official Steam site has word of the first L4D DLC (L4DLC?) release, the Survivor Pack, and the development kit tools that will let intrepid modders make their own campaigns. And you know they will.

Here's the relevant dirt.

The first L4D DLC — dubbed the L4D Survival Pack -- is due for release this spring and introduces a new multiplayer game mode entitled, Survival, plus two complete campaigns for Versus Mode . A Critic's Choice Edition of the game will be heading to retail stores this spring, and will include access to all the content introduced in the L4D: Survival Pack.

In addition, for PC gamers and aspiring developers, the first Left 4 Dead release for the Source Software Development Kit (Source SDK) will allow the creation of custom Left 4 Dead campaigns that will be discoverable via L4D's matchmaking system. The SDK update is also due for release this spring, and is free of charge to all owners of L4D on the PC.

Say it with gusto! Survivor Pack! No new media out yet, or even the clever titles of the two campaigns, but I'm really excited about this thing, sight unseen. Two whole new scenarios and a new mode would breathe a lot of new life back into Left 4 Dead, and I'm not even tired of the existing content yet. Join me in looking foward to this, won't you?

UPDATE: In my excitement for this release I seem to have written this story in undue haste. First of all, it is, in fact, the Survival Pack. Not Survivor. Duh.

More distressingly, a careful reading of the phrasing in the release--specifically, "two complete campaigns for Versus Mode"--sounds more like Valve is patching in the ability to play the two existing campaigns Dead Air and Death Toll in Versus mode, since you couldn't before. I shot those guys a note asking for clarification on that, so I'll update again with the final word. Thanks to several comment peeps for bringing this to light.
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Brad
    At this point, I think, there are two commonly accepted truths regarding Left 4 Dead about which I can avoid writing a boilerplate introduction.

• Left 4 Dead is freaking awesome.
    • Left 4 Dead needs more content.

Valve just put out a release detailing their intentions to capitalize on the first point and rectify the second. The official Steam site has word of the first L4D DLC (L4DLC?) release, the Survivor Pack, and the development kit tools that will let intrepid modders make their own campaigns. And you know they will.

Here's the relevant dirt.

The first L4D DLC — dubbed the L4D Survival Pack -- is due for release this spring and introduces a new multiplayer game mode entitled, Survival, plus two complete campaigns for Versus Mode . A Critic's Choice Edition of the game will be heading to retail stores this spring, and will include access to all the content introduced in the L4D: Survival Pack.

In addition, for PC gamers and aspiring developers, the first Left 4 Dead release for the Source Software Development Kit (Source SDK) will allow the creation of custom Left 4 Dead campaigns that will be discoverable via L4D's matchmaking system. The SDK update is also due for release this spring, and is free of charge to all owners of L4D on the PC.

Say it with gusto! Survivor Pack! No new media out yet, or even the clever titles of the two campaigns, but I'm really excited about this thing, sight unseen. Two whole new scenarios and a new mode would breathe a lot of new life back into Left 4 Dead, and I'm not even tired of the existing content yet. Join me in looking foward to this, won't you?

UPDATE: In my excitement for this release I seem to have written this story in undue haste. First of all, it is, in fact, the Survival Pack. Not Survivor. Duh.

More distressingly, a careful reading of the phrasing in the release--specifically, "two complete campaigns for Versus Mode"--sounds more like Valve is patching in the ability to play the two existing campaigns Dead Air and Death Toll in Versus mode, since you couldn't before. I shot those guys a note asking for clarification on that, so I'll update again with the final word. Thanks to several comment peeps for bringing this to light.
    norton123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By norton123

Yes! It is about time.

dezvous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By dezvous

I hope we see some more guns too. Come on, we need a fucking rocket launcher in a zombie game. Even if it has only one rocket.

Metiphis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Metiphis

Plus two complete campaigns for Versus mode?  Is that two completely new campaigns or just Dead Air and the other one that couldn't be played in Versus before?

EmptyQuarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By EmptyQuarter

Please be a shopping centre, please be a shopping centre.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JoelTGM

Yes, finally.

MagicKiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MagicKiwi

Wooooooooooooooooooooooo...

BILL!
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By BawlZINmotion

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

patrick5152003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By patrick5152003

Metiphis brings up a goog point. and even if they arent reffering to the 2 campains that arent currently available for versus, are these new campains  ONLY for versus? color me NOT excited.

piecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By piecat

I'm pretty sure the two "new" campaigns are just the ones that couldn't be played in versus before (dead air and death toll). Regardless, I'm pretty excited for the new gameplay mode.

EDIT: eh, someone beat me to it.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lukeweizer

Still no new campaign maps? Lame.

Muffin_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Muffin_Hunter

L4D desperately needs this content. I'm looking forward to exhausting the hell out of it when it finally becomes available.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Death_Burnout

Yeah like people are saying, im fairly sure (in fact, im certain) those campaigns are just the ones that aren't there for versus already (Dead Air, Death Toll) Notice how it dosen't say "new" anywhere in the text. If they are new, also colour me not excited.

A new mode sounds cool though.

ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ashton

louis!

seakae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By seakae

My pants are SO FUGGING TIGHT RIGHT NOW.

bricewgilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 25

#16  Edited By bricewgilbert

Anyone think Valve will decide to charge for this even on PC? I mean they have been very vocal about not charging for DLC on PC, but who knows. With so many companies succeeding by charging for DLC it makes me wonder.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KnifeySpoony

hoorayyyy <:D

Etch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Etch

I sincerely hope they plan on adding more Co-op Campaigns.

Scratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Scratch

Oh hell yeah! I was just wishing there was more content to play with...
    Wait, they said DLC, does that mean I have to pay for it? Damn, I was hoping it would like a free map thing or something.

EDIT: Whoops, just read it again in detail "free of charge for all PC owners". Awesome!

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#20  Edited By Savage

It's not called the "Survivor Pack," it's called the "Survival Pack."

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Drebin_893

Left4DeadLoadableContent?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22  Edited By RHCPfan24

So this is coming to 360 right? If yes, this is awesome. I don't care if I have to pay for it or not....but I hope the latter.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Xandurson

FINALLY!!! It's weird, just a few weeks ago me and my friend had a discussion about a Survival mode in this game and how cool it was while we're playing Versus and now they're adding one....cool.

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
    GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GobiasIndustries

One thing I'm ridiculously excited about is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuZvbEPsAg

I hope there are some more badass mods like that.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pibo47

Wait, are we getting 2 new campaigns..or are they making death toll and dead air playable on versus? And the new Gm is what i have wanted! But i also want new weapons, bosses, and fucking new campaigns!

kainen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kainen

You guys don't get it....it's all about the PC though and I know that's rough for some of you console only peeps but hear me out...

SDK!!!!!!!!!!

Which means awesome amounts of community content just being bottlenecked out there.  I know of at least a bunch off the top of my head in post production but they need the SDK to script situational events.

-Left4winchester (Sean of the Dead)
    -DawnoftheDead remake
    -Bioh4zard (Complete remake of situations from Resident Evil 2)

and so on and son....they even have the movie posters finished and stuff.  Some people are working on an amusement park one, The Thing, and others.  The possibilities are endless!

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
    GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GobiasIndustries

OMG there's a Sean of the Dead map?! I'm sexcited. I love people.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Death_Burnout

Yeah might as well say it again

im fairly sure (in fact, im certain) those campaigns are just the ones that aren't there for versus already (Dead Air, Death Toll) Notice how it dosen't say "new" anywhere in the text.

Err andthat's "Shaun of the dead"not "sean of the dead"

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Content here!

Andrwmorph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Andrwmorph

Fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap explosion!

n00bosaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By n00bosaurusRex

Awwww yeaaah! 

I'm very excited to see that the SDK is coming out.  I'm preparing myself for the awesomeness that will follow.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PJ

Since they say "in addition, for PC gamers..." about the SDK does that mean that the Survival pack is coming to both PC and X360? Since it was posted on steam you'd figure its for the PC only but since they specified the PC whit the SDK it could mean that the survival pack is for both platforms.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Scooper

I play at least 1 versus campaign every night. New stuff will be good.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

The SDK is free, it says nothing about the Survival Pack. If Valve charges for a map pack I will lose a LOT of love for them. This was not a 50 dollar game, and I bought knowing in my heart that Valve would make it  worth my 50 in the end. Now I'm not so sure.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By Oni

Uhhh, two new maps for versus mode reads to me as "you'll be able to play Dead Air and Death Toll in versus now". So, no new campaign. Lame.

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By crusnchill

I actually think they already had these 'new' maps (for reference, yes I know they didn't specifically say new, but come oooon...) ready to go with the main product before the game was released to the world.
    But they knew that Left 4 Dead was a lot of fun game and a solid concept from the get-go and decided that because of this, they could make yet more money(and rightfully so...) by selling 'new' "movies", and each new bit of content with a short 2-3 month wait in between, just to get people properly salivating for their next fix.

It make's alot of sense when you really think about it, because yeah level design does take a while to do, but only a very short while that is once the game's graphic engine is fully modernised/adapted/created, or whatever, everything else is easier to do.
    Plus with co-operative tactic's and co-operation in general in-game(ie: healing your friends up etc.) this would influence people to keep coming back for more and more DLC's. And just like zombie's to an old fart with a gimpy leg we'll just keep on coming till there's nothing left.

Enter Left 4 Dead 2 baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Also hasn't anyone noticed just how much people have complained due to the lack of content, yet also hoped for all hopes that some DLC will be released.
    Steam's selling plan did wondrous things for them.
    We just have to wait and see, what they do next AFTER they release this DLC.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By AndrewB

No big surprise, but I do hope they continue to support and add content to the game, even if I have to pay for it.

Can't wait!

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ToxicFruit
    MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MetalR

Yay!

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pibo47
    Andrwmorph said:
    "Fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap explosion!"
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!! I just lol'd at the stupidest thing EVER! But its still funny.
    Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Death_Burnout

Ahh its been updated :)

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By DukeTogo

Still too expensive for so little content.  This game should be no more than $30 and that's with this new content.

If I want a game that's only good with multiplayer that costs full price, I'll go back to Starsiege: Tribes.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#43  Edited By AndrewB

Ah balls. I totally skimmed over that little note that it was only two survival mode campaigns.  Sure, it adds a new game mode, but the problem is that people are sick of playing the same maps/campaigns. I hope they get to new campaigns sooner, rather than later. Although, with the amount of polish they put into each map, that will certainly end up being later. Maybe around the time Starcraft 2 or HL2: Episode 3 is released.

pepper_2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By pepper_2000

...So how is that whole "Christmas release date" DLC coming?

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By stephengotlost

I know the SDK will be free, but is the L4D Survival Pack itself a free update to the PC version or is it a boxed expansion pack?

Jecrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46  Edited By Jecrell

Sock it to me!
    Survival mode, one of the things I actually mentioned I wanted on this very forum, I wonder what it will actually be, and if it will be on new maps or just a different style of gameplay on the same maps.

crusnchill said:

"I actually think they already had these 'new' maps (for reference, yes I know they didn't specifically say new, but come oooon... ready to go with the main product before the game was released to the world.
    But they knew that Left 4 Dead was a lot of fun game and a solid concept from the get-go and decided that because of this, they could make yet more money(and rightfully so... by selling 'new' "movies", and each new bit of content with a short 2-3 month wait in between, just to get people properly salivating for their next fix.

It make's alot of sense when you really think about it, because yeah level design does take a while to do, but only a very short while that is once the game's graphic engine is fully modernised/adapted/created, or whatever, everything else is easier to do.
    Plus with co-operative tactic's and co-operation in general in-game(ie: healing your friends up etc. this would influence people to keep coming back for more and more DLC's. And just like zombie's to an old fart with a gimpy leg we'll just keep on coming till there's nothing left.

Enter Left 4 Dead 2 baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Also hasn't anyone noticed just how much people have complained due to the lack of content, yet also hoped for all hopes that some DLC will be released.
    Steam's selling plan did wondrous things for them.
    We just have to wait and see, what they do next AFTER they release this DLC."
    Left 4 Dead 2 will most likely be subtitled Back 4 More
    ONEmileperhour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ONEmileperhour

the funny thing is, i haven't gotten tiered of whats there yet. heck, i only play no mercy and i'm content with that

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Kohe321

Cool, guess I'll be powering up some L4D when this releases.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By zityz

That's awsome to hear, now all they need to add in is a Magnum and we're golden.

rNilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By rNilla

It would be nice if it includes brand new campaigns but, as noted, it sounds like it doesn't.  Hopefully this Survival mode is worth checking out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.