What caused the outbreak? Mostly Speculation. POSSIBLE SPOILERS

#1 Posted by MadMatr07 (200 posts) -

Hey guys just wondering what theories you all have of how the outbreak occurred. I noticed on the Dead Air level that in one of the safe houses it says on the wall that it was a experimental weapon by the government. I'm sure it was probably just written by some random person that did not actually know. Just curious, what do you guys think?

#2 Edited by Zebadee (491 posts) -

I doubt valve even know, I don't think they intended to have a reason for the outbreak they pretty much just say, "Zombies.. Kill them."

However if there is ever a second game or extra campaigns they may try and add a bit more story too it, it would be a shame to waste such cool characters on well... no story...

#3 Posted by ParanoidFreak (1461 posts) -

This game was pretty mindless, I think the zombies are just there to be killed. That is kind of what makes the game fun.

#4 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

I rather leave it at each of the characters didn't have anything to do with why the outbreak occured, but for some reason unrelated to the story, they just lucked out and didn't get turned into a zombie. Also, I'd rather not know the real reason since that could potentially lead to the characters trying to get revenge or something, and that would be resident evil all over again.

Just leave it be like night of the living dead, the story of these characters trying to survive is the story.

#5 Posted by LtColJaxson (1137 posts) -

Doesn't matter, there's zombies that need to be killed. What more do you need to know?

It's just mindless killing (and it's fun too).

#6 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

They all answered their Cell-phone and became the Phone-crazies, hence, why they find loud ringing noises so attractive.

#7 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

The answer to your question is... AH!  ZOMBIE!  Over there!  *transmission ended*

#8 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

All you know is what the average dude knows and that's absolutly nothing, when you start getting a mile-high view of every reason for the outbreak it becomes silly. All you need to know and want to know is "OH MY GOD ZOMBIES".

#9 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -
Gizmo said:
"They all answered their Cell-phone and became the Phone-crazies, hence, why they find loud ringing noises so attractive."
Someone saw The Signal.
Anyways, I don't give a shit about the story.  It's fun to read things on the walls and what-not every now and then, but when it comes down to it...there are zombies, and they need to be killified.  That's all I need to know.

It's like in real life.  If the zombie apocalypse hit, I'm not going to be concerned with HOW it happened.  I'm going to be concerned with how I stop it from happening to ME!
#10 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Gizmo said:
"They all answered their Cell-phone and became the Phone-crazies, hence, why they find loud ringing noises so attractive."
Someone saw The Signal.
Could also be Cell by Stephen King. God, that book was terrible.
#11 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -
albedos_shadow said:
"jakob187 said:
"Gizmo said:
Someone saw The Signal.
Could also be Cell by Stephen King. God, that book was terrible."
I really enjoyed Cell.  = D  Then again, I enjoy Stephen King when he's at his corniest and goriest.
#12 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"albedos_shadow said:
"jakob187 said:
"Gizmo said:
Someone saw The Signal.
Could also be Cell by Stephen King. God, that book was terrible."
I really enjoyed Cell.  = D  Then again, I enjoy Stephen King when he's at his corniest and goriest."
I just didn't like that it was a complete rip-off of his 2nd best book ever, The Stand.
#13 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -
albedos_shadow said:
"I just didn't like that it was a complete rip-off of his 2nd best book ever, The Stand."
He's allowed to rip off his own books.  lol  I just hope that Eli Roth seriously doesn't make the movie.  =  /  I hate that muthafucker with a passion that is unrivaled by anything, ever...
...INCLUDING my hatred for Halo.
#14 Posted by Will1Lucky (408 posts) -

On one wall there was something written along the lines of we are also immune to the infection we leads me to believe this is most likely some sort of Air borne virus which means the 4 survivors in game are also immune, hence why they don't change when they are injured by the Zombies.

#15 Posted by Crypto136 (118 posts) -
Will1Lucky said:
"

On one wall there was something written along the lines of we are also immune to the infection we leads me to believe this is most likely some sort of Air borne virus which means the 4 survivors in game are also immune, hence why they don't change when they are injured by the Zombies.

"

that sounds like a good reason. 

My fake reason that sounds good:
Alternate timeline
Damn commies tried to bomb us with poisonous gas and it turned us into zombies....
#16 Posted by Samson (3 posts) -

Maybe it was a virus, some viruses is coshed by birds. Maybe they got infected cuz birds carry desises or something like that. But i don´t know if anybody care of the story. I was wandering the same thing few days ago. But i think i was the birds, or any kind of an animal that carry desises.

-Sam 

#17 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"albedos_shadow said:
"I just didn't like that it was a complete rip-off of his 2nd best book ever, The Stand."
He's allowed to rip off his own books.  lol  I just hope that Eli Roth seriously doesn't make the movie.  =  /  I hate that muthafucker with a passion that is unrivaled by anything, ever...
...INCLUDING my hatred for Halo.
"
DUDE!
Me too!
#18 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Well they aren't really undead zombies but rather "infected" so it is likely some viral outbreak that turns everyone crazy. Plus they don't seem to want to eat you but rather smash you apart more than anything. So could be a combination of the 28 days later rage virus and generic resident evil virus turns you into zombie thing.

Either way, I don't think I'd like to see a story fleshed out explaining this stuff. That was the charm L4D had, it was simple "guns, bullets, zombies....GO!"

#19 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

I believe it says somewhere in a safe room that it started in livestock

#20 Posted by Weltal (2273 posts) -

Chicago Ted caused the outbreak and Chicago Ted will put an end to it.

#21 Edited by Osaladin (2519 posts) -

Well it all started with a prostitute. Because she was spending most of her time on the streets and meeting different germs and infections from many of her clients, they all mutated with in her. She noticed a change, but still needed more cash so despite her sickly state, once again went to the streets to try and sell herself. Her client one day just happened to be a government scientist who worked with infectious diseases and biological warfare. Sadly, the prostitute infected him with her mutated virus and since the symptoms take a few days to first appear he went to work just like any other day. As he walked into the room where all the diseases and biological agents where, he accidentally ripped his bio hazard suit on the table edge when he first walked in. Through his pores on his skin, his mutated virus met the already formidable agents within the room and then multiplied and of course, mutated again. As the virus was mutated into being an airborne virus, it spread quickly to the scientist. He was obviously aware of the tear in his suit, so he went outside to get another one. He encountered his research assistant, and without knowing, infected her as well. He then ordered the research assistant to get him a cup of coffee for when he got out of his suit, and as a result, managed to infect the entire office with the mutated virus.

And the rest, is history...

#22 Posted by Giuseppe (129 posts) -

I wanted to know the story, but the game was just awesome.

#23 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Hell was already full, so the recently deceased must walk the earth.

#24 Posted by granderojo (1788 posts) -

No but really, it's basically every zombie movie mashed together, and if you actually watch most zombie movies, they don't explain the outbreaks very much, L4D is no exception.
#25 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

I want Chicago Ted as a downloadable character.  -_-  Make it happen, Valve.  Now.

#26 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -

Government released mutated Rabies and the survivors are immune to it.

#27 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it's an airborne virus, and the 4 survivors are immune.

#28 Posted by jollywhitegiant (54 posts) -

I'm going to have to go with Voodoo. Its the only zombification method that doesn't feel cliched to me. 

#29 Posted by Snail (8604 posts) -
It was a virus that came in hamburgers!
#30 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -
jollywhitegiant said:
"I'm going to have to go with Voodoo. Its the only zombification method that doesn't feel cliched to me. "

They're Infected buddy, not zombies.
#31 Posted by Hdfisise (137 posts) -

I think it was actually meant to be a form of rabies but thats all i remember from browsing the L4D forums ages ago.

#32 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -
Hdfisise said:
"I think it was actually meant to be a form of rabies but thats all i remember from browsing the L4D forums ages ago."
It is check Wikipedia and other internets.
#33 Posted by starfox444 (81 posts) -

I'd just rename the game SUPER AIDS and call it a day.

#34 Posted by ieatlions (708 posts) -

it doesnt matter where the zombies came from it matters that there there

#35 Posted by DeadlyPain (397 posts) -

No storyline, just release the damn verses maps already steam!!! lol
i wanna play dead air as a zombie :'(

#36 Posted by Steven (247 posts) -

I thought it was a virus and the 4 survivors were immune?  I dunno though.

#37 Posted by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

monkeys

#38 Posted by Log (186 posts) -
Will1Lucky said:
"

"
I wish i could remember where i read it but i saw some stuff saying that it was an advanced form of rabies. Dont really know the validity of that but it seem somewhat logical as the zombies seem more violent and ravenous than zombified.
#39 Posted by MagicKiwi (111 posts) -

We can assume it is not airbone, because in one of the safehouses a safety checklist is crossed out with 'NOT AIRBORNE'. 

I also don't think it's some kind of alien meteor, as I cannot think of a way for the survivors to already have an immunity to an off-world virus/pathogen/etc.

The simplest answer, virus spread through bites is probably it. Think a very evovled strain of rabies. Terrorist attack? 
#40 Posted by mrparabolic (12 posts) -

The zombies went to Mexico and, in spite of their friends warnings, they drank the water.  And that's how it happened.  Everyone knows that if you drink the water in Mexico, you become a zombie.  It's simple science.

#41 Posted by Optiow (1745 posts) -

I think that with a story the game would lose its touch, it is just a fun killing zombie game, with a story you would have all of these diffrent things to do...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.