Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Aug 16, 1999

The start of something new, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver drops the overhead view of the original in favor of a third-person perspective with plenty of action and puzzles.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Cwaff

A game I never played back in the day and decided to pick it up a few months back. From what I played I really enjoyed but I had the problem of getting horrifically lost to the point of giving up on the multiple times I played it. 
     What I want to know is for anyone who has played it, is it just my bad sense of direction screwing me over?

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Megalon

I don't remember getting lost in the first game so much as getting stuck on what turned out to be a relatively easy puzzle. Awesome game though, and the sequels aren't half bad either.

davide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By davide

I recall getting lost and or stuck on puzzles in that game as well. I think part of it may have been that the level geometry was a bit repetitive at least on an intra-level basis. If I remember correctly the same problem came up in Shadowman or Shadowman 2econd Coming which were also platformers with rather dark environments.  

I appreciate that Bioshock had an arrow that would point you where you needed to go next. It's easy to get turned around and no less easy to miss what a character in a cutscene says briefly about the next location to which you should go.  

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zityz

Yea I remember just throwing my arms up in just utter fustration as a kid trying to play that game. You go from a semi tutorial to just open world without much sense of direction and then from there on it remains that way as you traverse throughout the game. Loved the concept and storyline behind the Legacy of Kain/ soul reaver games. Although Blood Omen was SHITE! 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

Man that game was the fucking shit. 

The PS2 version was the best.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By keyhunter

That game had a really fucked up progression. Spent half of my time going back through the same areas in the physical and spirit plane trying to figure out what changed between them so I could progress. And all the puzzles were block puzzles. Combat was tits though.
    Soul Reaver 2 sorta lost me. And Blood Omen 2 was just kinda mediocre. Blood Omen was really good though, back in the day. 

Also this thread reminded me that I totally have a Razael Action figure.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By minotaka

Raziel action figures FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Man i've always loved this seris!  SR2's story was nice n' twisy and the first SR i got on my 12th Birthday after school. Forever hooked :))))

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By FourWude

Best Action-Adventure/platformer on the PS1. Yes it was THAT good. One of the early pioneers of streaming disc based technology, which is why you saw no load times inside the game, even when switching game world from the real world and spirit world.

The cutscenes and voice acting was awesome. Raziel was one hell of a proper anti-hero, out for vengeance. Fantastic graphics, decent music and impeccable noir atmosphere. 

Only bad thing was that the first game ended in an unfulfilling cliffhanger, because the game was meant to be part of a trilogy.

Valkyr47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Valkyr47

I just started my first playthrough of this the other night. Seems awesome so far but i have to admit, i got stumped on a few puzzles already. The frustrating part was that they were so obvious once i figured them out, it just took a bit of looking around the environment to see what i needed to do. Atleast the block puzzles arent as awful as some other 3rd person games (Tomb Raider)
    Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Questionable

I was still a small brat when i played this and recall getting lost on a regular basis, never did manage to finish it on the PS1, for the 5 euro it is now i will likely rebuy it to play on the PSVita.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Damian

One of my favourite games of all time!

It's a pretty big world with a lot of twisty terrain and castles. I'd say getting lost is part of the experience unless you're especially good at keeping track of that stuff in a game.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By falserelic

I remember getting lost and confused at the puzzles alot. Other then that the game was aswome.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By dichemstys

I just started playing this game. I remember really liking it as a kid but I don't think it holds up so well for me anymore.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By minotaka

Nostalgia can only really save it now....  Legacy of block puzzles.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I wish they'd continue the series with the large opening defiance left..I want to see the true battle between Kain and the elder god...Sadly Tony Jay is dead so we will never hear that awesome voice ever again :(
    sugetipula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sugetipula

I got lost too. I had to check a walktrough on numerous ocasions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.