Oh, What the Hell, Let's Just Reboot Legacy of Kain, Too

• 165 results
Posted by Alex (1825 posts) -

If things keep up the way they have been, 2011 will officially be the year in which the "seqboot"--that's sequel/reboot combined into one handy term--became the hot new thing. That term is mine, by the way. Trademark pending!

Will Kain and Raziel finally kiss? Or will you have to keep writing your erotic Blood Omen fan fiction? We'll find out soon!

We've already gotten word today of a soon-to-be-announced Carmageddon reboot, and now it looks like Square Enix may be bringing back Eidos' slumbering vampire action series, Legacy of Kain.

Over at Game Revolution, a reader by the name of "daverabbit" (probably not his Christian name) has submitted information regarding a paid survey he took which asked about possible subtitles for a new game in the series. Those four subtitles included: Obsidian Blood, Obsidian Sun, Dead Sun, and Revenant. He was also quizzed as to whether those titles would work best alone, or paired with one of the series' previous primary Legacy of Kain/Blood Omen/Soul Reaver titles.

While a paid survey is hardly definitive proof of a game's existence, my experience has been that publishers don't often contract out these kinds of marketing things unless they already have a project of some fashion in the works. Considering E3 is very much on the horizon, we've heard nothing from the Legacy of Kain series since 2004's Legacy of Kain: Defiance, and the general attitude around the industry lately of, "OH GOD LET'S JUST REBOOT WHATEVER WE HAVE THE RIGHTS TO BECAUSE MONEY," a return of this series really does make a bunch of sense. I imagine we'll hear more in the very near future, if we hear anything at all.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by Alex (1825 posts) -

If things keep up the way they have been, 2011 will officially be the year in which the "seqboot"--that's sequel/reboot combined into one handy term--became the hot new thing. That term is mine, by the way. Trademark pending!

Will Kain and Raziel finally kiss? Or will you have to keep writing your erotic Blood Omen fan fiction? We'll find out soon!

We've already gotten word today of a soon-to-be-announced Carmageddon reboot, and now it looks like Square Enix may be bringing back Eidos' slumbering vampire action series, Legacy of Kain.

Over at Game Revolution, a reader by the name of "daverabbit" (probably not his Christian name) has submitted information regarding a paid survey he took which asked about possible subtitles for a new game in the series. Those four subtitles included: Obsidian Blood, Obsidian Sun, Dead Sun, and Revenant. He was also quizzed as to whether those titles would work best alone, or paired with one of the series' previous primary Legacy of Kain/Blood Omen/Soul Reaver titles.

While a paid survey is hardly definitive proof of a game's existence, my experience has been that publishers don't often contract out these kinds of marketing things unless they already have a project of some fashion in the works. Considering E3 is very much on the horizon, we've heard nothing from the Legacy of Kain series since 2004's Legacy of Kain: Defiance, and the general attitude around the industry lately of, "OH GOD LET'S JUST REBOOT WHATEVER WE HAVE THE RIGHTS TO BECAUSE MONEY," a return of this series really does make a bunch of sense. I imagine we'll hear more in the very near future, if we hear anything at all.

Staff Online
#2 Edited by Towers (96 posts) -

Nice

MOAR REBOOTS!
#3 Edited by Dopey2400 (72 posts) -

A legacy of Kain reboot would be pretty sweet!

#4 Edited by FoxMulder (1568 posts) -

...I mean FOURTH!

#5 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

Dude, I love this series, this makes me very happy!

#6 Posted by august (3811 posts) -

About time.

Also god knows if this thing will be an actual reboot or some time travel shenanigans a la MK because time travel time travel time travel.

#7 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

Would love another Soul Reaver. 

But a Kain is fine too. 
#8 Posted by Dante_the_Jedi (326 posts) -

I would like to see an new one of these...i liked them back in the day.

#9 Posted by Megalon (1392 posts) -

I'd buy me some more Legacy of Kain, whether it be a reboot or HD re-release or whatever. 

#10 Posted by biscuitfrenzy (82 posts) -

Not sure how interested I'd be without Amy Hennig on board. Unless she somehow is, of course.

#11 Posted by BigChief (503 posts) -

I support Legacy of Kain coming back in any form, although I might have preferred a continuation of the current story as opposed to a reboot. Seriously, what's with all the reboots?

Still, I'm just excited to see "Legacy of Kain" in a news story.
#12 Posted by Rhaknar (5940 posts) -

THIS i would love, Soul Reaver were some of my favorite games ever (ironically the Kain games not so much)

#13 Posted by Axersia (1612 posts) -

Raziel or GTFO.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

sorry alex, namco already trademarked that.

Tales of Seqboot

#15 Posted by Morridin (75 posts) -

Planning to get Soul Reaver 1 from PSn when the store's up again

#16 Posted by Deusx (1879 posts) -

Great, a reboot worth my time.

#17 Posted by Garadon (90 posts) -

Finally!

#18 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

Very unlikely Raziel will be back.

That aside, Defiance only made sense if you'd played all four previous games, doing a direct continuation of a series that requires so much previous knowledge and one that's been dead for 6 years, doesn't make much sense.

But I'd love to see a new story, unconnected to the Soul Reaver arc.  Just briefly show how Kain became a vampire and then have him going on his typical exploits, it could be done a lot like Batman Begins and could appeal to newcomers, just as much as the fans who've been screaming for a sequel for years.
#19 Posted by TheHumanDove (2396 posts) -

Please be true. Raziel and Kane for life

#20 Posted by D_W (1075 posts) -

But who could do a better job as Tony Jay as the voice of the Elder God?

Still I would like to see some more LoK. Only series to do vampires correctly. Let's just hope they get most of the people from the original voice cast.

#21 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

Meh didnt play any of the lagacy of kain games 

#22 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Someone please reboot rollcage, if anyone knows who holds the rights to that franchise if anyone at all, message me.

#23 Posted by YoungFrey (1319 posts) -

I vote for the term 'requel' or 'rebequel'. 
#24 Posted by artofwar420 (6227 posts) -

Those games are very precious to me.

#25 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

Alex Navarro, please help me find out what's going on with the SWAT license. Any reboots going on there? 

#26 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -
@TheHumanDove
Please be true. Raziel and Kane for life
Yes i support this
#27 Posted by SuperSambo (2837 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
Very unlikely Raziel will be back.
That aside, Defiance only made sense if you'd played all four previous games, doing a direct continuation of a series that requires so much previous knowledge and one that's been dead for 6 years, doesn't make much sense.

But I'd love to see a new story, unconnected to the Soul Reaver arc.  Just briefly show how Kain became a vampire and then have him going on his typical exploits, it could be done a lot like Batman Begins and could appeal to newcomers, just as much as the fans who've been screaming for a sequel for years.
Your prelude to the spoiler kinda gave it away.
#28 Posted by Sprizmo (347 posts) -

Yeah I always liked Soulreaver better than Kain. Also, I prefer the term Requel, not Reqboot, but whatever.

#29 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -
Wow, this is pretty fucking awesome.
#30 Posted by TheMartino (136 posts) -

Maybe they can finish the story this time? I actually played through ALL of these games. Had fun.

Soul Reaver 2 was kinda terrible, but the story reveal at the end, awesome!

#31 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -

/tearsofjoy

been waiting so long
#32 Posted by rbanke (191 posts) -

You get a reboot! And YOU get a reboot, You, You also get a reboot! 

#33 Posted by Foggen (801 posts) -
@IntramanDW said:
But who could do a better job as Tony Jay as the voice of the Elder God?Still I would like to see some more LoK. Only series to do vampires correctly. Let's just hope they get most of the people from the original voice cast.
#34 Posted by Eujin (1293 posts) -

All I care about is that they get Simon Templeman and Michael Bell again. Without them, it's not LoK

#35 Posted by SpheriQ (87 posts) -
@JonnTM said:
Not sure how interested I'd be without Amy Hennig on board. Unless she somehow is, of course.
My thoughts exactly. And I'm willing to take the fantasy a bit further by hoping all the original voice actors are on board (RIP Tony Jay).
#36 Posted by Kamikaze_Tutor (158 posts) -
@JonnTM:   Amy Hennig is working at Naughty Dog, she's been one of the writers and the creative director for the Uncharted series.
#37 Posted by Mowgers (374 posts) -

A reboot I actually could give a crap about? Mon dieu.

#38 Posted by Killroycantkill (1361 posts) -

I'm getting tired of these reboots. It seems like they're picking all the franchises I don't care about.

#39 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

It could be interesting to redo the series sans the ridiculous story contrivances that came through in the last bit of the series run.  Hell, I think I even recall Eidos coming out and saying "Yeah, we were wrong" in regards to a paradox pointed out by a fan...

Anyways, as long as Kain doesn't look like one of those young, shiny Twilight vampires, I'm down.

#40 Posted by Danteveli (1081 posts) -

Cool Been long time since I have heard that name.

#41 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

if this is true. Awesome

#42 Posted by Derangel (32 posts) -

As long as it's a good reboot I'm perfectly happy with this. I'd rather had real sequels or a straight up remake of the original Bloom Omen, but I'll take what I can get.

#43 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Never played it, but from what i understand, there are tons of LoK fans out there who've been waiting for a new entry for years

so, good for them :)
#44 Posted by Antarok (63 posts) -

Please let this happen!

#45 Posted by Antarok (63 posts) -

Please let this happen!

#46 Posted by EgoCheck616 (782 posts) -

OH HELL YES

#47 Edited by Brackynews (3966 posts) -
@YoungFrey said:

I vote for the term 'requel' or 'rebequel'. 

The Phantom Menace was the most expensive preboot™ of all time.
Ha HA in your face Navarro!
#48 Edited by spiralsin (156 posts) -

This is great news! This series has been dormant for too long. In my opinion, Kain and Raziel are two of the most compelling characters in video gaming history. I hope they land Simon Templeman to voice Kain again. He really brought the character to life.

#49 Edited by Jasonofindy (258 posts) -

I would really love a reboot to this series if it is given the TLC it deserves.  How meddlesome is Square in Eidos' games?  Does Crystal Dynamics still have the expertise to make this a quality experience?
This is a console spanning series for me that I would love to see reborn.

I played the first installment on PSX (PSone for young'ins), the second on Dreamcast, the 3rd on PS2, and the last 2 on Xbox.    So let me guess, Project Cafe surprise launch title?

#50 Posted by GeneralZod37 (255 posts) -

I just had an orgasm

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.