Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Legacy of Kain

Franchise »

Set in the mythical realm of Nosgoth, the Legacy of Kain franchise follows the tragic tale of the vampire Kain as he tries to fulfill his destiny as Nosgoth's savior. The gameplay involves action and puzzle-solving elements.

Strengths and weaknesses of this series? Buy it on Steam?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero

Also: is there a good starting point for the series aside from the first one, or would that be the place to start if it's worth it? I know basically nothing at all about this series.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By neurotic

If you don't want to start at Blood Omen, start with Soul Reaver. Might as well start with Blood Omen if you have the option though. Although, I never did and still haven't played it but love the rest of the series.

Strengths are an interesting world, crazy convoluted plot, great characters, excellent voice acting and ridiculously verbose dialogue. Weaknesses are kinda mediocre gameplay and Soul Reaver doesn't hold up very well graphically.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Neurotic said:

Weaknesses are kinda mediocre gameplay and Soul Reaver doesn't hold up very well graphically.

The graphics are never terribly good. Blood Omen looks average when it doesn't look like shit, and Soul Reaver, while technically amazing (fucking fog notwithstanding), is artistically lacking, what with everything being brown.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By fox01313

Really surprised & happy to see it on steam. Soul Reaver was fun from what I remember & good starting point, Blood Omen very early looking ps1 game but interesting though it takes quite a while to get into. Mostly recall that the voice work & music in these have been good, not sure on pc controls for thiese as the only one I've played on the PC is Blood Omen2 (another one that's not too bad from what little I played of it.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

That Vae Victis soundclip certainly holds up. Just as annoying as the first time I played Blood Omen.

Alright, Blood Omen is the only one of the series I've played. Whether or not you like it depends on your tolerance for the graphics and fixed overhead perspective at low resolutions, I'm sure. I remember it being tough, but I was also a lot younger.

I just love the voice acting and narration.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kishinfoulux

Weakness: NOTHING.

Strength: EVERYTHING.

But seriously it's one of my favorite all time franchises. Still some of the best voice acting in a game, great characters, story, etc. Doesn't really get a lot of props and respect. Then again people think Kojima is some sort of writing god.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By jacksukeru

This is on steam now? Sweet, I might pick one of them up at some point.

I think Neurotic mostly nailed my feelings about the good parts of this series. Combat is frequently downright bad if functional, the puzzles are ok, what you are there for is the world, the characters and the story.

I've played a couple of hours of the Playstation (PSN) version of Blood Omen, it's awful. There are a couple of cool ideas there that hold up but it's hampered incredibly by the slow loading into bad, bad menus and a generally confusing interface. Other than that it is a pretty simple game, a bit Zelda inspired perhaps? If any game in the series deserves a remake it's that one.

I say start with Soul Reaver 1 and keep going from there. The story in the sequels pick up pretty much exactly where the previous entries end, so it's kinda important to play them in order (says the guy who ended up finishing them in the reverse order). Unfortunately, the very interesting Metroidesque mechanic of gaining new abilities to access new areas in a seamless open world is mostly abandoned in the later games for different coloured soul reavers and more linearily. On the plus side, it's justified somewhat by the fact that you don't arbitrarily lose the abilities aquired in the first game at any point.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By John1912

@BisonHero: Start with the first one. Its actually a great game, and prob the best in the series imo. Also its gameplay will hold up a lot better. The others are a bit rough being that they were more on the forefront of the shift to 3d gaming being the mainstream.

*Edit, Yea fuck that, you definitely cant blow off the first one! Shit now I want to play it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By csl316

Strengths are the puzzles, the atmosphere, the story. Combat can get monotonous, I guess, but I always found it simple and fun.

I love the series and the fact that it's been gone for so long is a god damn shame (luckily I quite like the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games.) Curious where a LoK game would go post-Amy Hennig.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.