Atlus Knows How To Announce A Delay

Posted by Jeff (3627 posts) -
I'm not a fan of just posting press releases to the site. We're supposed to distill this stuff into something that helps you make sense of it all. That's why we're here. If you wanted to read press releases you'd just... well, you'd just set all the same Google Alerts that everyone who writes news stories about games does. Hmm. That really makes most news "reporting" sound pretty soulless, doesn't it?

Anyway, this Atlus release, detailing the premium packaging that will come with the first run of Legacy of Ys: Books I & II for the DS while simultaneously announcing a two-week delay, is quality work. If I ever found myself in a PR position and had to write press releases, I'd like to think these are the sorts ot things I would write. Here:

EVERY LAUNCH COPY OF LEGACY OF Ys™: BOOKS I & II FOR NINTENDO DS™ TO BE A PREMIUM BOXED RELEASE WITH SOUNDTRACK INCLUDED, ATLUS ANNOUNCES; ALSO, GAME DELAYED TWO WEEKS, BUT NO ONE CARES BECAUSE BOXED RELEASES ARE AWESOME

Atlus quickly slips new release date of February 24th, then deftly avoids questions

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA - JANUARY 28, 2009 - Atlus U.S.A., Inc., the only publisher that makes it look oh-so-Ys-ee, today announced that Legacy of Ys™: Books I & II for Nintendo DS™ will ship two weeks later than originally scheduled, now slated to bump into retail stores on February 24, 2009. This was of course immediately accepted because this delay would allow for each and every launch copy of the game to magically transform into a premium boxed release, with the soundtrack CD-formerly intended as a pre-order bonus-to physically be included with each and every copy of the game's first print run.

This unexpected upgrade signals the return of Atlus Spoils, a fan appreciation campaign intended to give a little extra something to the company's faithful followers as a thank you for their continued support. The program is planned to remain active indefinitely during 2009, meaning fans can expect additional bonuses and extras in future Atlus releases throughout the year.

"While we're never eager to announce delays for our products," began Tim Pivnicny, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Atlus, "we are incredibly excited to be able to upgrade the final release of Legacy of Ys to a premium boxed package. The soundtrack CD, once a bonus for pre-orders, is now going to be offered to everyone who picks up a copy from the game's limited first print run."

One of the most heralded action RPG franchises of all time, Legacy of Ys: Books I & II delivers the first two epic adventures of the famed saga on one cartridge, presented with a series of never-before-seen enhancements. Now, the finished North American launch will be available in a special boxed release, with a soundtrack CD featuring the game's famed score included with each and every copy of the game's first print run.

Legacy of Ys: Books I & II is now scheduled for release on February 24, 2009, with an MSRP of $34.99.

Also, you damned kids might not be old enough to remember, but Ys is totally "cherry." Is that how you kids are saying it these days? Get off my lawn!
#1 Posted by Jeff (3627 posts) -
I'm not a fan of just posting press releases to the site. We're supposed to distill this stuff into something that helps you make sense of it all. That's why we're here. If you wanted to read press releases you'd just... well, you'd just set all the same Google Alerts that everyone who writes news stories about games does. Hmm. That really makes most news "reporting" sound pretty soulless, doesn't it?

Anyway, this Atlus release, detailing the premium packaging that will come with the first run of Legacy of Ys: Books I & II for the DS while simultaneously announcing a two-week delay, is quality work. If I ever found myself in a PR position and had to write press releases, I'd like to think these are the sorts ot things I would write. Here:

EVERY LAUNCH COPY OF LEGACY OF Ys™: BOOKS I & II FOR NINTENDO DS™ TO BE A PREMIUM BOXED RELEASE WITH SOUNDTRACK INCLUDED, ATLUS ANNOUNCES; ALSO, GAME DELAYED TWO WEEKS, BUT NO ONE CARES BECAUSE BOXED RELEASES ARE AWESOME

Atlus quickly slips new release date of February 24th, then deftly avoids questions

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA - JANUARY 28, 2009 - Atlus U.S.A., Inc., the only publisher that makes it look oh-so-Ys-ee, today announced that Legacy of Ys™: Books I & II for Nintendo DS™ will ship two weeks later than originally scheduled, now slated to bump into retail stores on February 24, 2009. This was of course immediately accepted because this delay would allow for each and every launch copy of the game to magically transform into a premium boxed release, with the soundtrack CD-formerly intended as a pre-order bonus-to physically be included with each and every copy of the game's first print run.

This unexpected upgrade signals the return of Atlus Spoils, a fan appreciation campaign intended to give a little extra something to the company's faithful followers as a thank you for their continued support. The program is planned to remain active indefinitely during 2009, meaning fans can expect additional bonuses and extras in future Atlus releases throughout the year.

"While we're never eager to announce delays for our products," began Tim Pivnicny, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Atlus, "we are incredibly excited to be able to upgrade the final release of Legacy of Ys to a premium boxed package. The soundtrack CD, once a bonus for pre-orders, is now going to be offered to everyone who picks up a copy from the game's limited first print run."

One of the most heralded action RPG franchises of all time, Legacy of Ys: Books I & II delivers the first two epic adventures of the famed saga on one cartridge, presented with a series of never-before-seen enhancements. Now, the finished North American launch will be available in a special boxed release, with a soundtrack CD featuring the game's famed score included with each and every copy of the game's first print run.

Legacy of Ys: Books I & II is now scheduled for release on February 24, 2009, with an MSRP of $34.99.

Also, you damned kids might not be old enough to remember, but Ys is totally "cherry." Is that how you kids are saying it these days? Get off my lawn!
#2 Posted by KristoferK (15 posts) -

Yes.

#3 Posted by OldManLollipop (306 posts) -

That's not how I say it but I'll humor you.

#4 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

If it gets me a neato soundtrack CD, that's just fine with me.

#5 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

Boxed copies ARE awesome!

#6 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
MattBodega said:
"Boxed copies ARE awesome!"
Especially for DS games. I guess the Luminous Arc 2 package worked well for them.
#7 Posted by Blitz82 (6 posts) -

hm...I like it.

#8 Posted by FalcomAdol (185 posts) -

I really enjoyed Ys on the Master System, and I enjoyed it again, along with Ys2, 3, and 4 on the Duo.

I won't be enjoying it again on my DS though, since I gave it to my little cousin for Christmas.  She had an N64 kid moment, and I was really glad that I chose to give it to her, since it wasn't getting much attention from me as I no longer have a commute (or a job :()

#9 Posted by Lilarcor (213 posts) -

I never played Ys growing up, but I'm assuming cherry means... good?

#10 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

*Please* have something like this for Mana Khemia.

#11 Posted by Jared (559 posts) -

I'll be honest....I have no idea what this game is about!

#12 Posted by gribb85 (10 posts) -

Is it wrong that the boxed copy actually makes me want the game more? Never heard of Ys before, but now I am interested...kinda.

#13 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

Y's is one of the few constants in video games, it's always there and you never seem to dislike it no matter how many times it gets released on another platform.

Y's is playable online through some of the casual game hubs that your mom plays Scrabble Blast on.

For the true Y's experience play the Turbo CD games, they are considered the best iterations of series with by far the best music and arguably the best voice work in a game until MGS came along some 8 years later.  It also is the best $8 you can spend on the Virtual Console.

#14 Posted by Jaded (21 posts) -

I upgraded from a TG-16 to a TurboDuo to play this game... that add-on cd player was so clunky...

#15 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

I can't imagine there have been many press release headlines better than that one.

#16 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -

I don't even own a DS and I'm tempted to buy this game.

#17 Posted by RenegadeSaint (1553 posts) -

Oh Atlus, how I love ye.

#18 Posted by Axersia (1620 posts) -

Great, now I'll be able to get the soundtrack as well when I wouldn't have before since Amazon doesn't take my money.

#19 Posted by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

That shit is downright "pivnicny".

#20 Posted by CreamyGoodness (1086 posts) -

yay. or not. what the fuck is this game

#21 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

When are we going to get that DS Betamax player that Nintendo's been promising for years?

#22 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

Atlus is awesome. I don't dig too many of their games but they're really just about the fans: something we don't see much anymore.

#23 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I think this is great! There has been a distinct void in premium fan packaging since Working Designs closed shop.

#24 Posted by Johanz (248 posts) -

Ys 1 and 2 are awesome.

#25 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

It is nice to see big companies have a soul, and the PR rep at Atlus is pretty cool. The whole "leaked on ESRB.org" statement they did also was hilarious.

#26 Posted by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -

That girl is sexy.  lol

#27 Posted by TobyD81 (1228 posts) -

Somewhere, a PR guy loves his job, and that's wonderful.

#28 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

Never heard of it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.