Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Legacy of Ys: Books I & II

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 24, 2009

A compilation of the DS remakes of Ys I & II bundled together on one cartridge.

Missed out on this franchise

screwed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By screwed

So I think its good news to for me to bother playing this franchise, I've missed out on this series.
    And it'll be neat to give it a go and see what I've been missing, might go either way but good on them to try and get the interest up seeing as I know barely nothing of the name and games, except for random encounters of discussions around the internet.

Anybody who has been playing these games from the start and find this refreshing?

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By zitosilva

I had never heard of this series before. I was just now trying to find out about but could find close to nothing. What is it about? From the images it seems to be a RPG, but I'm not sure.

screwed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By screwed

It's more of an Action RPG, the battles aren't turn based.

There is a lot of info out there to find. On dedicated sites, youtube and wikipedia.
    I'll give you a couple of links too see if you learn anything more.

Book 1:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ys_I
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/ys

Book 2:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ys_II:_Ancient_Ys_Vanished_-_The_Final_Chapter
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/ys-ii-ancient-ys-vanished-the-final-chapter

Gameplay:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Dk4Ca5b-4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-bnJYxGfik
    DS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdWSPzf4lHI

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

I bought the games when they first came out on PC Engine, I was a big Zelda fan at the time and Ys had always interested me.

I recently bought the the Virtual Console version which includes Book 1 and 2.  I have completed the first again but have yet to tackle the latter because quite frankly I am playing better games, better RPGs. It's a good nostalgia fix but there is no way it has held up as well as something like Star Tropics for example.

screwed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By screwed

yeah I know what you mean, its good to sit down with a nostalgic RPG.
    I recently tried to finish the entire Dragon Warrior series, I mean their fun and takes me back. But they are really starting to show their age, and as you said there are so many more RPG's that are better thats been released more recently.
    I only managed to play through a couple before I really wanted to go do something else.

But it was nice while I was in the mood.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By zitosilva
    screwed said:
    "yeah I know what you mean, its good to sit down with a nostalgic RPG.
    I recently tried to finish the entire Dragon Warrior series, I mean their fun and takes me back. But they are really starting to show their age, and as you said there are so many more RPG's that are better thats been released more recently.
    I only managed to play through a couple before I really wanted to go do something else.

But it was nice while I was in the mood."

I think I'm in the same state right now. I had my (sort of) nostalgia fix with FF III for the DS. Problem is the need for it was gone half way through the game, and after that is gone it is hard not to notice it is a pretty average RPG. I think this might be the case with this game too.
    roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By roushimsx

I adore Ys I & II for PCE and I'd love to see an official English translation of Ys IV: Dawn of Ys at some point (the fan translation is excellent, but the technical limitations that prevented them from being able to insert subtitles in the cutscenes meant that there was a lot of referencing of a dialog script translation while playing). Ys VI was also a hell of a lot of fun and I'd recommend it to anyone that enjoys action RPGs in a heartbeat.

That said, the DS ports were pretty "meh". They somehow took a simple and addictive combat system built around running into guys and screwed it up. You can go back to the old style, but you have to use the touchscreen to lead Adol around. There's a lot of little things to nitpick about with the DS ports, but that's the real killer for them. Hopefully Atlus adds in the option to play them as they were intended, as that would take my decision to purchase the US release from, "I'm just buying to support a US Ys release" to "I'm buying this because I really want to play through them!".

Maybe one day we'll get real lucky and get official english relases of Oath in Felghana, Ys I&II Eternal and Ys Origin. Just watch out for Ys III (too short, too level grindtastic, too different), Ys IV: Mask of the Sun, and those Taito PS2 remakes of III - IV. Well ok, Mask of the Sun wasn't terrible, it's just not as well realized as Dawn of Ys was. Hell, I even have a bit of a soft spot in my heart for Wanders From Ys...but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone other that someone truly interested in playing through the whole franchise.

Ys I is really short. Like if it's your first time playing, you'll eat through it in probably 5 hours. It smoothly transitions right into Ys II, which is about twice the length. While both are fairly ancient in relative terms, they don't really feel "dated". The gameplay is fast paced and addictive and the storyline isn't boggled down with senseless amounts of backtracking. In comparison, I recently tried to play through Star Tropics again and found it immensely tedious, repetitive and uninspired. Time has been much, much kinder on Ys Book I and II.

But yea, just be aware that the japanese releases of these two games on DS had some serious drawbacks, the most important of which was that the control options blew. Play it by ear, and if they're not fixed up prior to the US release, just pick the games up on Wii (and then grab the 6th on PS2 or PSP)  unless you really want to support US releases of the franchise.

screwed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By screwed

Thank you for the detailed comment, roushims.
    Some really nice info, clears up a few things.
    Thanks again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.