A Little Bit Of: Legend of Grimrock

Posted by lim_ak (87 posts) -

Dungeon Crawling!

So Legend of Grimrock is pretty great. And I've never really played any of those old school dungeon crawlers before. Bascially the kingdom of this world thinks that an appropriate pardon is to throw you into a mountain full of monsters and say if you survive you're free! Doesn't exactly seem fair now does it.

I'm enjoying it rather a lot, but I'm probably playing a bit more paranoid than I need to. The game isn't trying to kill me quite around every corner so I should probably give it a bit of slack. That isn't to say there aren't traps and places where skeleton legionaries don't come out of walls to stab you. Just that they're a bit more dispersed than I've given them credit for.

The combat ends up being pretty tactical and methodical because every one of your weapons has a pretty significant cooldown and the enemies attack a lot faster, so you're often going to be moving up to an enemy doing your attacks and then repositioning. That of course leads to situations where you're out numbered and you're essentially just trying to funnel them into a corridoor to hit them one at a time or dragging a slow enemy out into an open area so you can move around and just hit him at all angles while he's too slow to attack you.

Anyway apoligies for the echoiness of the video, something went wrong when I was recording it. I'm looking into changing my recording setup so if you have any recommendations for microphones/headsets let me know. I'm pretty sure that it was only an issue because I'm an idiot rather than something being wrong with my equipment. Off topic. You should get Legend of Grimrock, it's a cool game.www.grimrock.net

#1 Posted by lim_ak (87 posts) -

Dungeon Crawling!

So Legend of Grimrock is pretty great. And I've never really played any of those old school dungeon crawlers before. Bascially the kingdom of this world thinks that an appropriate pardon is to throw you into a mountain full of monsters and say if you survive you're free! Doesn't exactly seem fair now does it.

I'm enjoying it rather a lot, but I'm probably playing a bit more paranoid than I need to. The game isn't trying to kill me quite around every corner so I should probably give it a bit of slack. That isn't to say there aren't traps and places where skeleton legionaries don't come out of walls to stab you. Just that they're a bit more dispersed than I've given them credit for.

The combat ends up being pretty tactical and methodical because every one of your weapons has a pretty significant cooldown and the enemies attack a lot faster, so you're often going to be moving up to an enemy doing your attacks and then repositioning. That of course leads to situations where you're out numbered and you're essentially just trying to funnel them into a corridoor to hit them one at a time or dragging a slow enemy out into an open area so you can move around and just hit him at all angles while he's too slow to attack you.

Anyway apoligies for the echoiness of the video, something went wrong when I was recording it. I'm looking into changing my recording setup so if you have any recommendations for microphones/headsets let me know. I'm pretty sure that it was only an issue because I'm an idiot rather than something being wrong with my equipment. Off topic. You should get Legend of Grimrock, it's a cool game.www.grimrock.net

#2 Posted by tourgen (4493 posts) -

I liked the intro and story setup quite a bit. According to the story you are free as soon as they toss you into the pit. It's just up to you to make something of it and get out alive. I thought that was a small but really cool touch. Judgement passed, your sentence is freedom! .. freedom that starts at level 1 of Grimrock :)

I'm loving the game so far. Playing on hard with maps off and it just feels a lot like my first Dungeon Master playthrough. Which is worth the $14 price tag and much much more.

#3 Posted by lim_ak (87 posts) -

@tourgen: I might try again on the harder setting, but to be honest I was kind of getting my ass handed to me a bit on normal, especially with some of the later floors. I did enjoy the setup, but that king is a bit of an ass for that judgement :P. But it is indeed a fun setup to the dungeon crawling.

#4 Posted by lightsoda (541 posts) -

That button did do something, it's a shame you pressed it twice though, or you would've seen it ;)

#5 Posted by JustKamToo (684 posts) -

@lightsoda said:

That button did do something, it's a shame you pressed it twice though, or you would've seen it ;)

Yes, I hate it would people spam buttons! they are only made to be pressed once!!!!!!!!!! >.<

#6 Posted by lim_ak (87 posts) -

@JustKamToo said:

@lightsoda said:

Yes, I hate it would people spam buttons! they are only made to be pressed once!!!!!!!!!! >.<

That isn't the only time during my playthrough that I did that, doh! In fairness I did catch onto that a little ways further down Grimrock, but still rather silly of me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.