Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Legend of Grimrock

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Apr 11, 2012

Legend of Grimrock is a modern take on the first-person dungeon crawler genre. Similar to Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder, players progress through the game by descending further into the dungeon whilst solving puzzles and slaying enemies.

Legend of Grimrock 2 announced!

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Tordah

Rejoice fellow dungeon crawler fans!

http://www.grimrock.net/2013/02/21/about-the-new-project/

"Creating a mere DLC or expansion to Grimrock simply would not have felt right. As today’s meeting proved, we still have a lot of ideas we’d like to explore, lots and lots of new content already done (originally made for a DLC/expansion) and a big engine update in the works. Simply put, a DLC would have limited too much what we can do. With a full blown sequel we can raise Grimrock to the next level."

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Awesome! Even if I've never finished the first game I have high hopes on the sequel. Hopefully you can go with a more varied party as well, and not feel locked in to specific classes and builds.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I should really finish Grimrock. I enjoy that game quite a bit, but for some reason have yet to have gotten past floor 5.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That is fantastic to hear! I bought the first one, but haven't had time to play it. Still, I'm glad someone is carrying the torch in that genre and that they're doing well enough to make another one.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

And I am reminded that I still have to play through this. Sometime. Hopefully.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

Fantastic. Also fantastic is that this wiki header looks pretty sweet. Nice work to whoever did it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I uhhhhh...I'm not excited.

I played through the first one, and I guess I didn't get it? It feels like there are two ways to play the game:

1) Just use a guide from the start to find all of the hidden switches and hidden rooms, and get all the decent gear. This makes it a 20-30 hour game.

2) Meticulously examine every wall in the whole game for hidden switches. This will make it a 50-80 hour game (I am wildly ballparking, I did not do this). This just seems inherently tedious, but I guess more in the "spirit" of how you're meant to play the game?

Either way, you need to do one of those methods, because you pretty much need to find most of the hidden gear, because the gear along the critical path (ring mail for heavy armor, leather armor for light, some basic melee weapons, none of the good mage gear) really isn't good enough for the end game.

Basically, I was fine with the rooms that actually had badass Indiana Jones puzzles, but I wish all of the hidden stuff was stuff like that where there is an obvious puzzle, and if you solve it you progress or get an item. But SO MUCH of the decent gear is hidden behind obscure little switches on walls. I don't mind the combat, or the skill system, or the hunger, or the needing new torches frequently, or the inventory, or the potion making, but I really don't care for the whole "examine every single wall, or else you'll never find the full plate mail". It just turns the game into tedium. I know it's old school, but I just don't see the appeal of painstakingly examining every square of wall.

So whatever, I guess I'm just too young to appreciate the genre or something. I don't think I'll be buying the sequel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.