Legend of Grimrock now up for pre-order at 20% off

#1 Edited by perilator666 (471 posts) -

Legend of Grimrock is available for pre-oreder right now through GOG.com and grimrock.net at 20% off. It'll also be out on Steam but as of writing this it's yet to show up there.

The game looks absolutely awesome and everyone should get it. If you have any sliver of nostalgia for games like Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master or even Stonekeep, you'll probably soil yourself when you play it. I know I'll be keeping a fresh pair of underwear handy.

Get some.

#2 Posted by august (3856 posts) -

Bought.

#3 Posted by Forcen (1836 posts) -

You can preorder on their site and get a bonus pack and a steamkey.

If you pre-order now you get 20% off the retail price and early access to following goodies:
- A beautifully crafted game manual
- Legend of Grimrock world map
- Custom made grid paper to print out for all your mapping needs
- Grimrock theme music
- Wallpapers
- Art sheets illustrating foul creatures of Mount Grimrock
- Team photo

http://www.grimrock.net/buy/

#4 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11934 posts) -

Done. Admittedly, I got it from GOG before I realized I could get it from the dev, but whatever.

#5 Posted by Weltal (2274 posts) -

Preordered from the devs and got my steam key, cant wait.

#6 Posted by Forcen (1836 posts) -

I emailed the devs about getting a installer with preordering from them and got this respone:

And now we have sorted the issue: you will get both the standalone installer and the Steam key, for the same price. The standalone installer will be available on April 11th on the page that is linked to you when you preorder and the Steam key can be added to your Steam client immediately.

Sold!

#7 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

Looks good, I'll wait for release date.

#8 Edited by Skald (4369 posts) -

I bought it through GOG, as I am wont to do.

#9 Posted by Morningstar (2194 posts) -

Pre-ordered from GOG, DRM free and sexy.

#10 Edited by fisk0 (4306 posts) -

So, if you buy it directly from the devs, do you get both the DRM free version and a Steam key, or is it a Steam key only?
While I do love GOG, the problem with publishing new games there is that there might be better ways to support the devs, like purchasing the things directly from them. 

EDIT: Wait, Forcen already answered this.
@Forcen said:

I emailed the devs about getting a installer with preordering from them and got this respone:

And now we have sorted the issue: you will get both the standalone installer and the Steam key, for the same price. The standalone installer will be available on April 11th on the page that is linked to you when you preorder and the Steam key can be added to your Steam client immediately.

Sold!

#11 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

I could never get into these kinds of games as a kid, but hot damn does that appeal to me now! Keeping a close eye on it.

#12 Posted by amir90 (2175 posts) -

Might buy this, looks interesting.

#13 Posted by bwheeeler (463 posts) -

Will the $12 price stop the second it releases? It looks pretty cool, but I wonder how it holds up for someone with absolutely no nostalgia for this type of game.

#14 Posted by HarlechQuinn (450 posts) -

Preordered directly from the devs. Steam key already activated. Really liking the custom made grid paper and the theme music. Can't wait to play the game...

#15 Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

It looks cool and i'm glad it exists but this sort of thing isn't my cup of tea, I need a certain amount of narrative out of a game for it to be worth my time.

#16 Posted by TopSteer (673 posts) -

Just bought it on grimrock.net. Between this, Unchained Blades getting an localization, and the Class of Heroes II kickstarter it's a great day for dungeon crawlers.

#17 Posted by Karkarov (3195 posts) -

@bwheeeler said:

Will the $12 price stop the second it releases? It looks pretty cool, but I wonder how it holds up for someone with absolutely no nostalgia for this type of game.

Yes the 11.99 price is for pre orders only. So on release day it is going to go 14.99. As for nostalgia value I imagine it will hold up as well as the games it was based on did when they first released. It is a real time dungeon crawler, it is going to be a niche appeal game.

#18 Posted by Forcen (1836 posts) -

Another reason to buy this game:

#19 Posted by Zelyre (1233 posts) -

Excitedly bought this on GoG. I'll probably buy it again on Steam when it goes on sale to add it to my collection there. Will buy it when it comes out on iOS, too.

#20 Posted by Skald (4369 posts) -

@Zelyre said:

Excitedly bought this on GoG. I'll probably buy it again on Steam when it goes on sale to add it to my collection there. Will buy it when it comes out on iOS, too.

Man, I'd love to play this on my new iPad at retina resolution. I can't wait for that version to come out (if it ever does).

#21 Posted by Shivoa (635 posts) -

@Forcen: Yep, that looks ace.

Its says good things when the developer keeps their tools open enough to adapt (so they can add in GUI arrow keys as an option without too much work) and is listening to the community.

Really the industry needs to spend a lot more time thinking about accessibility. We have all these examples of tools built into Windows and other OS to allow so many different interactions to not restrict who has access to computers but then when it comes to games developers ignore that anyone who isn't perfectly suited to the one control method they decide could enjoy the hobby (and so the adaptation happens with guys building custom controllers to make games playable with the normal inputs seen by the software etc). There is masses of research into non-game accessibility onto which a gaming specific model could be built but so far I'm key to see many people looking for that resource.

#22 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

I've pre-ordered it. Just now. Then I masturbated fiercely. Just so.

#23 Posted by Karkarov (3195 posts) -

@Skald: It will Skald. In actuality the game was originally going to be designed for iOS devices only. The reason it is PC first now is because the feedback was so good and lots of the fans wanted a PC version first and foremost. Anyway point is I wouldn't expect it to take them too long to get to it.

#24 Posted by Skald (4369 posts) -

@Karkarov: I know, but I don't know when it's coming out for iOS. As a matter of fact, I don't even know when I'm getting my iPad. It's still in Guangzhou!

#25 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

got it through GOG. It's pretty cool they have a deal with GOG! I thought it might end up being Steam-only which would be shame.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.