The game is split up into three unique-to-game stories based around Batman, his allies and enemies. Everyone has escaped from Arkham Asylum and it is up to Batman and Robin to help round them up. The format is simiiar to that of other LEGO adventure games, which involves solving platformer puzzles (pulling levers, putting blocks on pressure pads, etc) and destroying the environment to collect coins, which can then later be used to buy extras such as suit upgrades and new playable characters. Once the story mode has been completed for a level, you can go back as any character of your choosing and try to access some secret places with your new abilities that were once unavailable to you.
Hero or Villain
There are two ways you can play Lego Batman; as a hero, or as a villain, and both offer different ways to play. Playing the game through the Hero campaign, you take control of Batman and Robin and try to stop the evil plans of The Riddler
and company. When completed, this then unlocks the Villain campaign, allowing you to see the game from a different perspective and take control of people such as The Joker
. You will be in the same environments as the Hero campaign, but you might be on the rooftops instead of the floor, or underground instead of up above. It is now your aim to thwart Batman and Robin and triumph with your evil plans.
Weapons and Gadgets
Batman and Robin can equip different suits to help them in their adventures.
- Glide Suit - Allows Batman to glide across the level. He can travel longer distances and get to higher parts of the level.
- Sonic Suit - Gives Batman a megaphone like weapon that emits sonic waves that can shatter blue LEGO glass.
- Demolition Suit - Allows Batman to drop Bat Bombs to blow up objects.
- Heat Protection Suit - Allows Batman to travel through heat related perils as well as manipulate red-hot LEGO blocks.
- Water Suit - Enables Robin to dive deeper into water to explore.
- Magnet Suit - Gives robin magnetic boots that allow him to walk on metal surfaces on walls and ceilings.
- Attract Suit - A vacuum like pack that allows Robin to pick up the debris from his adventures in LEGO Gotham City.
- Technology Suit - With this suit on, Robin can access Tech Panels that allow him to take control of various robotic elements within levels.
Players can wield LEGO Batarang by moving a Batman (or Robin) symbol across the screen to target enemies while using Batman or Robin. The Batarang also allows players to block and reflect enemy bullets.
- LEGO Batman: The Video Game is the first LEGO game based on a popular franchise to feature a brand new, unique story. Other installments have been restricted to that franchise's specific canon, such as following the first three Indiana Jones films in LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures.
- At Sony's 2008 E3 Press Conference they announced a PlayStation 2 LEGO Batman Bundle. The bundle includes a PS2 slim model, the LEGO Batman game and the Justice League: The New Frontier film on DVD.
Bundle with Pure for the Xbox 360
Following 2008's holiday bundle of Lego Indiana Jones
and Kung Fu Panda
, the Xbox 360
Elite model was bundled with
LEGO Batman and Pure
during the 2009 holiday season at no additional cost.
Xbox 360 Game Installation Lego Batman: The Video Game
requires 6.0GB of space to install on a Xbox 360 HDD.