$59.99 on eShop (Price Error. Back to $49.99)

#1 Edited by BamSaidTheLady (90 posts) -

Think this is a mistake or just a bad decision by Nintendo? Every retailer has it for $49.99.

#2 Edited by Yummylee (22062 posts) -

Is that not usually the way of things for Nintendo? Sony at least always charge digital releases of new games at a higher price than RRP; games that you can find for £40 at most are pretty much always charged at like £49.99 on the PSN store.

#3 Posted by BamSaidTheLady (90 posts) -

I think something like Sonic All Stars Racing was $39.99 on eShop which is same as retail.

#4 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@yummylee: Not the case for 3DS games at the least. They charge $34.99 in NA which is the price of a 3DS game at retail.

Also, NA PSN games are priced the same as retail when they are released as part of their Day 1 thing. So $59.99 for most games.

#5 Edited by Yummylee (22062 posts) -
@superwristbands said:

Also, NA PSN games are priced the same as retail when they are released as part of their Day 1 thing. So $59.99 for most games.

Wow, seriously? Guess it's some bullshit conversion rate or something; just another notch against SCEE >_> Bloody absurd. Then again, I don't even want to imagine how high they charge digital releases in euros.

edit: omggggggggggg I typed conversation when I meant conversion. Fucking fuckity fuck that's like the third time now. Though they all have occurred when it's between 3am-5am...

#6 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

Think this is a mistake or just a bad decision by Nintendo? Every retailer has it for $49.99.

It's the same as the physical retail price. It's not a bad decision, it's just an even price across the board.

I always find it odd when people expect a game released digitally and physically simultaneously to have a cheaper digital cost.

#7 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@bamsaidthelady said:

It's the same as the physical retail price. It's not a bad decision, it's just an even price across the board.

I always find it odd when people expect a game released digitally and physically simultaneously to have a cheaper digital cost.

Wait, he is saying it is $59.99 on the eShop and $49.99 retail. He's not expecting it to be cheaper, he's expecting it to be on par.

#8 Edited by BamSaidTheLady (90 posts) -

Yeah, I'm expecting Monster Hunter to be $60 cause that's how much everyone else has it. But these retailers taken right from Nintendo's website all have Lego City as $49.99 normally.

#9 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@hailinel said: @bamsaidthelady said:Think this is a mistake or just a bad decision by Nintendo? Every retailer has it for $49.99.It's the same as the physical retail price. It's not a bad decision, it's just an even price across the board.I always find it odd when people expect a game released digitally and physically simultaneously to have a cheaper digital cost.

Why would it not be cheaper? When you buy digital you're getting no physical product and just a license to play. It's not a huge deal but it's certainly annoying. The Wii U eshop has actually had a few nice sales though so it's not all bad. If they keep up the periodic sales I won't mind as much.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@bamsaidthelady said:

Wait, he is saying it is $59.99 on the eShop and $49.99 retail. He's not expecting it to be cheaper, he's expecting it to be on par.

Ah, I misread. This is strange. I wonder what's behind it.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@hailinel said: @bamsaidthelady said:Think this is a mistake or just a bad decision by Nintendo? Every retailer has it for $49.99.It's the same as the physical retail price. It's not a bad decision, it's just an even price across the board.I always find it odd when people expect a game released digitally and physically simultaneously to have a cheaper digital cost.

Why would it not be cheaper? When you buy digital you're getting no physical product and just a license to play. It's not a huge deal but it's certainly annoying. The Wii U eshop has actually had a few nice sales though so it's not all bad. If they keep up the periodic sales I won't mind as much.

Because it's the same game through either distribution method. By and large, when you get to the physical manufacturing portion of the development process, you're spending peanuts compared to the millions it took to develop the game over the course of two to three years.

#12 Posted by ajamafalous (12039 posts) -

@sathingtonwaltz said:

Why would it not be cheaper? When you buy digital you're getting no physical product and just a license to play.

I feel like you're about 5 years late with that one.

@yummylee said:

Is that not usually the way of things for Nintendo? Sony at least always charge digital releases of new games at a higher price than RRP; games that you can find for £40 at most are pretty much always charged at like £49.99 on the PSN store.

I find it interesting in that people from Europe cite Day 1 physical discounts as a reason to not buy digitally, but in the US it's nearly always the same price.

#13 Edited by BamSaidTheLady (90 posts) -

The price on the eShop is now $49.99. Looks like it was a mistake and they fixed it. I wonder if the people who payed $60 will get a refund.

#14 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

What are we even talking about here?

#15 Edited by Nictel (2429 posts) -

Uhm what game are you even talking about?.. This is in general discussion and you don't mention the game..

#16 Posted by BamSaidTheLady (90 posts) -

@nictel: Sorry bout that. When I edited the title it reset to general discussion. Putting it back to Lego City forum now.

#17 Edited by Nictel (2429 posts) -

@bamsaidthelady Doesn't matter, accidents happen. Was wondering as I don't follow WiiU releases that well. I'm still hoping this comes out on other platforms. Unless Metroid, I don't see myself getting a WiiU.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.