Drew was Correct.

#1 Edited by Mikemcn (7019 posts) -

Lego Island was the first Lego game with voiced Lego characters, it was also an amazingly fun game. Voice was a huge part of it, Papa Brickolini singing songs in the kitchen while whipping up his famous pizza pie, Nubby asking profound questions about life, such as "If two cars of opposite colors crash into each other, do they also clash?", or the crazed undead pirate cabin, mocking you from his dark and shadowy lair within the secret cave. The voice acting was fantastic and it was set in an open world unlike anything I had ever seen at the time. You took on the brickster, Biked, drove, jet skiied and ran your way around the island, saw houses explode into a million pieces and reform as only Lego Houses can, and dodged giant Skeletons and monkeys. I loved it.

Jeff and Brad seemed a bit surprised by the ferocity with which Drew Rebutted Brads claim that Lego City is the first fully voiced Lego game, but their ignorance of Lego Island is to blame. It was a very cool game and may have been the game that made me realize how much fun could be had in a videogame world. Quite frankly i'm a bit shocked they didn't encounter it

Also the music was freaking fantastic.

Also this theme song, was pretty great

So yea, this was just a Blurb to say that Drew was completely accurate in pointing out Lego Island as the first fully voiced Lego game, if you haven't played it, it might be too late now (Here's a playthrough, of the entire game.), but if you have, I hope you share the same fondness for this most special of videogames. Maybe someday we will get a random PC game video out of it, if Drew truly has appreciation for, if not, it was nice to take a second and remember just how fantastic Lego games were, even back then, heres to hoping Lego City improves upon Island's Legacy.

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

This is the best Lego game easily. Perhaps the best game ever made.

#3 Posted by Mikemcn (7019 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

Perhaps the best game ever made.

It may very well be, watching that playthrough is bringing me back haha.

#4 Posted by Garfield518 (401 posts) -

I recently found my old Lego Island CDs and installed it, but it would always crash when I tried to leave the lobby.

Too bad.

#5 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

@Garfield518 said:

I recently found my old Lego Island CDs and installed it, but it would always crash when I tried to leave the lobby.

Too bad.

I know the game has some issues with Vista and Windows 7. Just look up a video on YouTube on how to fix it.

#6 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

I forgot this game existed from my childhood. This game should come to GOG/Steam.

#7 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

Oh yeah I remember that game...man so many hours running around that silly island doing silly things.

#8 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Man. My computer was never good enough to play this game, so I played it alongside my friend at his house. Good times. I hear there's a second Lego Island. I also hear there shouldn't be.

#9 Edited by Mikemcn (7019 posts) -

If you haven't played, you really should check out some of this playthrough, it shows off how primitive it was but also gives you a taste, early on, of the level of quality of the voice work, and music. It was eant for kids but was smart enough for adults, you don't get voice work with this kind of energy and quality anymore.

@FunExplosions said:

Man. My computer was never good enough to play this game, so I played it alongside my friend at his house. Good times. I hear there's a second Lego Island. I also hear there shouldn't be.

Yep, I actually played a bunch of Lego Island Extreme Stunts, it was a very different game without the charm of Lego Island, but was actually a blast. Lego Island 2 though.... just no.

#10 Edited by NickL (2247 posts) -

Watch this video at 14:35. That is pretty much my memory of this game. Extremely buggy.

#11 Posted by sub_o (913 posts) -
Drew was Correct.

I think Drew has become our dear supreme leader of GiantBomb.com

#12 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

I would say this is the only true Lego game (excluding its sequel and Lego Creator). All the other Lego games have been other things just redone in Lego. Even Rock Raiders could quite easily have been a non-Lego game (I'm not commenting on the quality of the games, just their inspiration).

#13 Posted by Strife777 (1612 posts) -

@FunExplosions said:

Mine either, but I always tried to play it. It was going at ''seconds per frame'' sort of thing. It was awful, but I wanted to play it so much.

#14 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12115 posts) -

That walkthrough is giving me some weird-ass flashbacks. I was like 5.

#15 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Lego Island 2 was my childhood. Shouldn't be overlooked, another great game.

#16 Posted by Jedted (2412 posts) -

I used to play that game for hours on end when I was a kid. I geuss it was the first open world game I played, so much stuff to do.

#17 Posted by matti00 (675 posts) -

Yo man, fuck the Brickster. This game was awesome, glad I'm not the only one who remembers it.

#18 Posted by Soap (3642 posts) -

I haven't read anything in this post at all, I just came here to say

DREW IS ALWAYS CORRECT

#19 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

I remember that dude saying welcome in different languages. Don't remember shit about the game though.

#20 Posted by ZombieSpace (284 posts) -

Was more of a Lego Racers guy, that intro!

#21 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
#22 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1253 posts) -

I LOVED Lego Island!

#23 Posted by ThePickle (4169 posts) -

Don't fuck with Drew.

#24 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

Urge to play Lego Island. Rising.

I really hope Drew and Vinny can get a hold of a copy and play it for the next Random PC Game.

#25 Posted by Sanj (2537 posts) -

Oh man, I used to play the shit out of this game.

#26 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1133 posts) -

I remember playing that as a kid, but not much else...

#27 Posted by G0rd0nFr33m4n (762 posts) -

@Commisar123 said:

Oh yeah I remember that game...man so many hours running around that silly island doing silly things.

-_- .... you sound like an impostor!

#28 Posted by killacam (1278 posts) -

dude... my childhood!

#29 Posted by TruthTellah (9472 posts) -

Oh man, nostalgia overload thinking about LEGO Island. I played the heck out of that game.

#30 Posted by Mikemcn (7019 posts) -

@Maystack said:

Urge to play Lego Island. Rising.

I really hope Drew and Vinny can get a hold of a copy and play it for the next Random PC Game.

According to that walkthrough vid you can playthrough it in under 2 hours, it's the perfect length for that!

#31 Edited by believer258 (12191 posts) -

I still have Lego Island 2 somewhere. I'm going to go play that if it still works.

EDIT: All right, it worked, but some games are... better left in memory than revisited.

#32 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

I need to go back and play this again. I can't even count how many hours I put into this as a child, so many years ago.

#33 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@killacam

dude... my childhood!

Word
#34 Posted by wewantsthering (1594 posts) -

I LOVED this game when I was a kid. :-)

#35 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

@wmaustin55 said:

@killacam

dude... my childhood!

Word

I know dudes, the footage and music bring back so many memories, aaaaw.

#36 Edited by Vonocourt (2164 posts) -

I don't remember the Brickster sounding like Joe Pantoliano. Crazy, and seeing it not be just a slideshow is weird itself.

#37 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4811 posts) -

...you say "Drew is correct" as if Drew is ever wrong

#38 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

Fuck that game was good...

#39 Posted by AlexW00d (6436 posts) -

Best Lego game. Such childhood memories.

#40 Posted by spacetrogg (59 posts) -

Damn I loved this game, never did complete the final mission though. Now to petition gog for a re-release...

#41 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

oh, the memories...

#42 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

Lego Island 2 is the Mass Effect 2 of the Lego Island series and by far the most supreme Lego Game.

#43 Posted by Roger_Klotz (795 posts) -

I remember going to my local library and sitting in the computer area for hours playing Lego Island and the Humongous entertainment adventure games (Freddi the fish, spy fox, putt putt)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.