LEGO Racers lets players make their own LEGO vehicles and drivers and pits them against other LEGO racers to become the greatest LEGO racing champion of all time.
Upon release, Lego Racers was noted for its creation tools which allowed the player to create their own vehicle and driver.
At the time the concept was regarded as innovative, and is one which has transcended through many other genres and is a staple in many new releases today.
The player could then take their custom vehicle and driver for use in the game's adventure mode. The adventure mode consisted of numerous different worlds, each inhibiting their own end of series boss aswell as track. Upon defeat of the boss, their lego head, torso and legs, aswell as vehicle were them available to the player for use in the creation modes.
The game reaches a climax as the player must defeat "Rocket Racer" the fastest racer in the lego universe, in order to claim the final trophy and title the ultimate lego racer.
- Circuit 1 & 4
- Johnny Thunder (boss for C4)
- Captain Redbeard (boss for C1)
- Governor Broadside
- Robin Hood
- Ann Droid
- Pharaohs Mummy
- Circuit 2 & 5
- Baron Von Barron (boss for C5)
- King Kahuka (boss for C2)
- Royal King
- Commander Cold
- Circuit 3 & 6
- Gypsy Moth (boss for C6)
- Basil The Batlord (boss for C3)
- Willa The Witch
- Blackjack Hawkins
- Sam Sinister
- Alpha Dragonis
- Circuit 7
- Rocket Racer (final boss)
- Black Knight
- Gail Storm
- Nova Hunter
- Veronica Voltage (time trial opponent)
Lego Racers offers much in the way of customization. The player's car can be customized, using the Lego builder, by adding Lego Bricks and various accessories onto a
variety of unchangable pre-built chassis. Characters can also be customized in a way that , for the time, was quite revolutionary and innovative. The player can customize his/her character by changing headwear, heads, torsos, and legs.
In Lego Racers, players race on one of seven circuits against upto five opponents. The object of this mode is to gain the most points by placing high on the race standings. A circuit lasts four races. Each circuit has a racer who performs on a higher level than the other opponents. This racer is called the "Circuit Champion" and are specific to each course. The seventh circuit has one race against, the main opponent throughout the game, Rocket Racer.
In the time racer mode, the player races against Veronic Voltage. Veronic drives a ghost car that doesn't collide with any other cars. If the player wins the race on all the tracks of the first three circuits, Veronica's car set is given to the player.
Lego Racers offers a simple, 2 player split-screen mode in which 2 players on the same computer/console can play in a multiplayer free mode. The second player is
required to plug in either a gamepad or a joystick
Lego Racers 2
Lego Racers 2 is the sequel to Lego Racers published by Taito Corporation. The game was developed by ATD and Pocket Studios. In Lego Racers 2 there are five new worlds. You start at 'Sandy Bay' which is the hometown. After completion of this world the player will move to another world called 'Dino Island'. In the same matter the player will move to a futher three worlds which are 'Mars', 'Arctic' and 'Xalax'. In the final world 'Xalax' the player will race the ultimate boss 'Rocket Racer' in a giant stadium where they will race for the title of 'greatest racer in the lego galaxy'. A player will only move on from world to world if they win five races and collect gold bricks.
There are only three racers that are returning from the original Lego Racers and they are,
- Rocket Racer.
- Sam Sanister (named Baron Von Barron in Lego Racers)
- Johnny Thunder.
There are five different worlds in the Lego Racers 2 game which are based on different themes. In addition to this each world is designed from some original Lego sets. The five worlds are,
- Sandy Bay. This world is based on Lego Town sets. This is an island that has a town, construction sites and a lot of beaches. This world aswell as the other worlds has portals to get to different worlds. This world has four bosses that you have to race before challenging other worlds. Golden bricks can also be located in and around this world.
- Dino Island. This world is based on Lego Adventures sets. This world is similar to the first as it is also an island. The difference is that this world has got rivers, a volcano, a jungle, a tirbal village, ancient ruins and only has a few beaches. On this world it has constant rain and there are running lego dinosaurs. Golden bricks are also located in this world.
- Mars. This world is based on Lego life on mars sets. This world has a series of valleys that are inbetween the mountains. It features a martian mine, martian base, abandoned martian base, crashed space shuttle, caves and lava rivers. It is possible to reach the top of the mountains in free roam but you need a lot of speed. Golden bricks are found on this world.
- Arctic. This world is based on the Lego arctic sets. This world is an island with a mountain, a beached tanker, an ice maze, an iced lake and several bosses. In this world it constantly snows. Golden bricks are found on this world.
- Xalax. This world is the only world that doesn't resemble a lego set. This world is a dome full of cheering fans an includes a volcano, lava lakes, jumps, loops and a tunnel. Golden bricks are located in this world.
- Dig a Brick.
- Special Delivery.
- Hot Stuff.
- Bobby's beat.
- Tribal Trouble.
- Dino Dodgems.
- Cretacious Canyon.
- The lost race world.
- Sam sanisters slammer.
- Mars attack.
- Lava canyon.
- Logged out.
- Martian invasion.
- Snowy glaciers.
- Icy mountains.
- Lake race.
- Maze of craze.
- Volcano rush.
- Loop of luck.
- Lava falls.
- Oval circuit.
- Construction worker.
- Sam Sinister. His car has a super engine.
- Berg. He is an ice monster that runs instead of driving.
- Rocket Racer. The former fastest driver.
In this game there are also normal lego racers that include,
- Pippen Reed.
- Sir Cunningham.
A player can recieve upgrades for their cars by winning mini games. Each mini game are accessed by driving through a vortex whilst exploring worlds. There is always one easy mini game per world and one difficult mini game per world.
The upgrades come in three catagories which are,
- Grip. This improves how well the car turns and how it slides.
- Power. This can improve the cars speed and can determine how far the car can climb a mountain.
- Shield. This controls the amount of damage your car can take from an opponent.
There are many different types of powerups on this game which can be used whilst racing. When you drive through a glowing, spinning lego brick, you will recieve this powerup. Whatever the brick lands on determines the powerup you get. To use a powerup you press the fire button. The powreups are,
- Weapons. This allows the racer to take bricks from another racers car. The symbol for this is a gray ninja.
- Stealth. This makes the racers car invisible to other racers. The symbol for this is a gray fox.
- Drill. This allows the racer to fire a missile into the front of another racers car. The symbol for this is a drill.
- Disk. This allows the racer to fire a flying disk into a racers car. The symbol for this is a disk with blades.
- Missile. This allows the racer to fire a missile into another racers car. The symbol for this is a bloodhound.
- Explosion. This allows the racer to put a bubble around thier car to prevent attacks. The symbol for this is a storm cloud.
- Whirlwind. This allows the racer to put a whirlwind around their car and makes other racers move away. The symbol for this is a twister.
- Destructabrick. This allows the racer to take three layers of bricks of every racers car. The symbol for this is a flying lego brick.
Lego racers 2 has more freedom than lego racers because the player can free roam and can talk to other people.
In the lego racer you could only drive karts whereas in lego racers 2 you can drive trucks, tank-like treads, lorry cars, hover cars and snow vehicles with skis.
Lego racers 2 consists of more bricks bt less characters than lego racers. However you cannot change your character during story made but can change your car.
In lego racers 2 you can have up to eleven opponents but in lego racers you could only have five opponents.