Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LEGO Rock Raiders

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 30, 1999

LEGO Rock Raiders is a real-time strategy/building game in which you direct the Rock Raiders to mine energy Crystals so that the miners can go home. The PlayStation version of the game is completely different, instead of being an RTS the PlayStation version is mission-based with objectives.

Return to Original IP Lego Games?

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Does anyone else out there miss the old type of Lego games they used to make? I'm talking about Lego Island, Lego Rock Raiders, Lego Alpha Team, Lego Racers, etc. They weren't based on Lord of the Rings or Star Wars and each one was a completely different type of game. The new Lego City seems to be a great return to this, but still, I miss the variety of Lego games we used to get. Even though the new Lego games have many different IPs attached, the game play is pretty similar across them.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By inkerman

Rock raiders was awesome, I'd love a sequel, or hell, even a non-Lego remake.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Bollard

@wewantsthering: Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes this game was so goooood. Lego Racers was sooo gooood. Lego Loco was so goooood. New Lego games got boring after they tried to make a second Lego Star Wars... And now everything is just that but more. Even the new Lego City seems real similar (see the parts where stuff got built by waving your arms around, a la Lego Star Wars). Showed a tiny bit of promise though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Inkerman: How would you make a non-Lego sequel though? Haha. I would love to see a sequel too! :-) My younger brother actually played it a lot more than me. I remember it crashed constantly...

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

The only one I played on that list is Lego Racers, but yeah. I have more of a fondness for Legos than most other toys.

Lego City seems cool though. Maybe that'll quench that thirst.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By inkerman

@wewantsthering: Not so much a 'sequel', it would have to be Lego to make it a sequel. But if you think about it, the game itself has very little 'legoness' about it apart from the aesthetic. You could easily replace the lego men and buildings with another type of art and none of the core mechanics would be changed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Inkerman: True, but Lego owns the rights to it so it wouldn't happen. No other developer would want to pick it up because it didn't sell well.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By inkerman

@wewantsthering: Well while I'd want a similar game, I'd much prefer a new Lego Rock Raiders. Didn't realise it didn't sell well, I think the game was both amazing and well ahead of its time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Inkerman: Yeah didn't sell well and didn't get that great of reviews either because it did have a lot of problems. Cross our fingers for a sequel? :-)

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Lego Island 3! Not a lego game unless I can throw pizzas in it!

Welding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Welding

Lego Island, Lego Rock Raider, Lego Racer.

I loved all these games to death as a kid. But I think it might just be nostalgia.

I can't see these original IP Lego games working anymore in current gamedevelopment.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ramone

Fuck, seriously holy fuck. If someone made a Rock Raiders game I would lose my fucking shit so badly.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

Lego Alpha Team was awesome. I tried to get it running on this PC a while ago, but it seems it doesn't run on more modern machines =(

I also used to play the hell out of Lego Island when I was a kid. They made a sequel, but I didn't get to play that.

Lego Rock Raiders: Also awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Irvandus said:

Lego Island 3! Not a lego game unless I can throw pizzas in it!

Very true!

@Welding said:

Lego Island, Lego Rock Raider, Lego Racer.

I loved all these games to death as a kid. But I think it might just be nostalgia.

I can't see these original IP Lego games working anymore in current gamedevelopment.

Well I think Lego City is basically a modern version of Lego Island, Lego racer would just be a more modern Mario Kart, and Rock Raiders could totally work if they just made it more like Star Craft 2. I think there are totally ways to make them work now, but I agree that it's mostly nostalgia. Those game weren't that good. We were just too young to know better. :-p

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Vexxan

I would buy a sequel to this in an instant. Being a kid a long time ago I thought this game was the best and I spent so many hours playing it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Dagbiker

@Inkerman said:

Rock raiders was awesome, I'd love a sequel, or hell, even a non-Lego remake.

I agree, Rock Raiders was awesome. I was never able to beat it, and I always wished it just had a free mode, where I could mine, and build, and fight off creatures without the building limits or the magma level rising.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By project343

That charm of merging the nonsensical LEGO with IPs that I adore is sort of as good as LEGO games get for me. So I'll say no thanks. They're quirky, but far too childish without that added layer of parody.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iamjohn

You're forgetting that a lot of lot of these LEGO games were companion pieces to LEGO's non-licensed playsets, which is a business they have slowly gotten out of almost completely (with the exception of Ninjago, but that has a cartoon series so it might as well be another licensed thing).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@project343 said:

That charm of merging the nonsensical LEGO with IPs that I adore is sort of as good as LEGO games get for me. So I'll say no thanks. They're quirky, but far too childish without that added layer of parody.

But they all play exactly the same...the old games had GTA style, racing, RTS, etc. The new ones are just 3rd person action/adventure and only a mediocre ones at that.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I'd prefer a Lego Racers game, but I'll take whatever I can get

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By project343

@wewantsthering: I never really said anything about gameplay. With that lack of parody, I find the world horribly boring. And I quite enjoy the obsessive collecting of the IP games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@project343: The parody stopped being funny a long time ago though...

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Cloudenvy

I own Lego Rock Raiders but I don't remember aaaaaaaaanything about it. Maybe I should fire it up again.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By EuanDewar

FunFact: Lego Island was literally the best fuckin shit ever GOTDAMN

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By project343

@wewantsthering said:

@project343: The parody stopped being funny a long time ago though...

LEGO Batman 2 has the best sense of humour in the series. So, I'll have to disagree. In either case, I just don't see the appeal of the generic LEGO world. It just comes off as entirely too generic and juvenile--a combination that simply doesn't mesh well with me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.