Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 31, 2009

Larry Lovage returns for his first dismal failure on seventh-generation consoles in Box Office Bust, where Larry must find the mole working in his uncle's movie studio.

Al Lowe Weighs In on Box Office Bust

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Box Office Bust! Get it!?! Because boobs!
    Part of the reason I went ahead and picked up a copy of Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust last week was that I felt like I hadn't heard anything about the game, even though it had been out for almost two months at that point. I figured this meant it was bad, but I don't think I could've imagined just how thoroughly rotten and ill-conceived that game was. Leisure Suit Larry was never particularly high-brow, but this was about as ugly and tedious and mean-spirited a game as I've ever played. If you've got the stomach for it, you can see it for yourself in our punishing 30-minute quick look at Box Office Bust.

I'm no stranger to really exquisitely terrible games, but what makes Box Office Bust such an extra-special tragedy is that I have vaguely fond recollections of the old Leisure Suit Larry adventure games. In retrospect they were pretty tame, but they were still cheeky sexy fun. It would seem that much of the credit for the playful humor of those games belongs to Al Lowe, who created the series and guided Larry on the majority of his repeatedly futile quests to get laid. Based on the past few Leisure Suit Larry games, it's not too surprising to learn that Lowe hasn't had an iota of input on series since he was laid off when Sierra shut down its adventure game operations in 1999. 

You might think that, after spending the past decade sitting on the sidelines watching as a parade of license-holders alternately neglect and abuse poor Larry, Lowe might be a little more bitter about Box Office Bust. Sure, in writing about the game on his website, Lowe provides a long list of incendiary reviews of the game, but in the end he seems kind of relieved, like he dodged a bullet.
    Thank you, VU Games, for keeping me completely away from this latest disaster!
    Still, you can sense a certain disappointment in Lowe that he hasn't had a chance to play with Larry for so long. I'm not entirely sure if Leisure Suit Larry really has a place in today's video game landscape, but if he does, it seems like it wouldn't hurt to ask his creator for a little input.

Thanks to Giant Bomb user David for the tip!
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Part of the reason I went ahead and picked up a copy of Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust last week was that I felt like I hadn't heard anything about the game, even though it had been out for almost two months at that point. I figured this meant it was bad, but I don't think I could've imagined just how thoroughly rotten and ill-conceived that game was. Leisure Suit Larry was never particularly high-brow, but this was about as ugly and tedious and mean-spirited a game as I've ever played. If you've got the stomach for it, you can see it for yourself in our punishing 30-minute quick look at Box Office Bust.

I'm no stranger to really exquisitely terrible games, but what makes Box Office Bust such an extra-special tragedy is that I have vaguely fond recollections of the old Leisure Suit Larry adventure games. In retrospect they were pretty tame, but they were still cheeky sexy fun. It would seem that much of the credit for the playful humor of those games belongs to Al Lowe, who created the series and guided Larry on the majority of his repeatedly futile quests to get laid. Based on the past few Leisure Suit Larry games, it's not too surprising to learn that Lowe hasn't had an iota of input on series since he was laid off when Sierra shut down its adventure game operations in 1999. 

You might think that, after spending the past decade sitting on the sidelines watching as a parade of license-holders alternately neglect and abuse poor Larry, Lowe might be a little more bitter about Box Office Bust. Sure, in writing about the game on his website, Lowe provides a long list of incendiary reviews of the game, but in the end he seems kind of relieved, like he dodged a bullet.
    Thank you, VU Games, for keeping me completely away from this latest disaster!
    Still, you can sense a certain disappointment in Lowe that he hasn't had a chance to play with Larry for so long. I'm not entirely sure if Leisure Suit Larry really has a place in today's video game landscape, but if he does, it seems like it wouldn't hurt to ask his creator for a little input.

Thanks to Giant Bomb user David for the tip!
    sman118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By sman118

He definitely needs to come back.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By TheKidNixon

Interesting little editorial/feature piece. And yes, from that Quick Look y'all posted, this game is a complete and utter affront to everything that could possibly be good about Leisure Suit Larry games. The joke always seemed to be on Larry himself, and the circumstances he would find himself in, not an endless stream of mean-spirited misogyny.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Insectecutor

Thanks for this. It makes me feel warm inside.

Cheeky sexy fun.

YoungDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By YoungDetective

I've gone back and played a few of the old ones - I was too young when they first came out - and I don't think they were ever that good. Sure, the new one is worse, but the old ones weren't bastions of culture either.

TheClap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheClap

Box Office Bust: because it is such a bad game!  ... and the boobs.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheKidNixon

Also, Ryan: should we expect a hateful, foaming at the mouth review any time soon?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

GameSpot's review is actually in the list twice! CNET's video game reviews are just reprints of GameSpot's reviews. In fact it says as much right on the page! :D

Al Lowe talked about the whole Leisure Suit Larry debacle on the 4/21/09 episode of The HotSpot. You should check it out if you're interested in hearing more about what Al Lowe thinks of Larry's latest crapfest.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Insectecutor

"Apparently the only real joke in Box Office Bust is on the player." - IGN, true.

Poor old Al Lowe. Ryan, if you're going to review this you should just give it five stars, man, bullshit your heart out.

Edit: @LordAndrew: I can't listen to The HotSpot any more since all the decent presenters up and left last year in some sort of hissy fit. Jerks. What does he say?

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Death_Burnout

As bad as it is, the QL was still pretty funny, but it's not funny to play obviously.

I think what it needs...if it's even relevant these days, is something episodic, like all the Telltale games of late, but not done by Telltale...besides, that's kinda played out now.

I would of been glad to dodge the bullet too.

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By MatthewMeadows

I had a band called 'Cheeky sexy fun'. True story.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By darkjester74

If there was a place for Larry in today's marketplace its been destroyed by the last two abominations.  @Al Lowe:  All the best to you sir, thanks for the memories!  =)

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Castro
    TheKidNixon said:
    Interesting little editorial/feature piece. And yes, from that Quick Look y'all posted, this game is a complete and utter affront ... [more]
    This. BOB is the polar opposite of everything that the original LSL stood for.
    LordAndrew said:
    GameSpot's review is actually in the list twice! CNET's video game reviews are just reprints of GameSpot's reviews. In fact ... [more]
    Thank you! This is awesome! Kinda. I hadn't listened to the HotSpot in ages. I'm currently listening to the 4/21/09 podcast and it's really bad. Really bad. Seriously, someone is complaining about how they don't like the DS? Who doesn't like the DS? Why would anyone dislike the DS? This is stupidity. When does the Al Lowe part start?
    unangbangkay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By unangbangkay

I remember the last LSL before everything went down the toilet, Love for Sail. It was actually a very competent point 'n click adventure.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kohe321

Haha. The quicklook was brilliant, I wished it lasted longer. Watching you guys play terrible games is very entertaining.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

I wonder what Rob Lowe thinks about the game.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Castro
    LordAndrew said:
    GameSpot's review is actually in the list twice! CNET's video game reviews are just reprints of GameSpot's reviews. In fact ... [more]
    I don't like to be a douchebag, at all, but I'm about 25 minutes into this podcast and these guys are fucking idiots. What the hell is going on? Seriously, people, if you thought the BOB QL was bad, listen to this podcast.
    lolwot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lolwot

deleted

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By lord_canti

if al lowe came back then  i would probably  like these games again

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Sunjammer

I think the key for me was that Larry was never about the American Pie brand of college cock humor. It was about this sad little lonely man with a messed up world view and his repeated attempts at rectifying his life situation. You laughed AT him as much as you sympathized with him. He was just that kind of innocent jerk. They were surprisingly mature.

The latest Laffer iterations have been mean spirited, immature and out of touch. Not only were they shit games, they weren't even moderately amusing.

Al Lowe doesn't get near enough as much credit as he's due. That series could never have survived for as long as it did without him.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By MeatSim

They should have just stopped after Lowe left but of course they didn't.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Carlos1408

If it is possible to award it 0 out of 5 starts (and you write a review Ryan) I think it should be awarded exactly that!
    I can't get over how atrocious this game is, I was appauled.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By skrutop
    sman118 said:
    He definitely needs to come back.
    I have a better idea.  They should stop making Leisure Suit Larry games altogether.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By RHCPfan24
    BiffMcBlumpkin said:
    I wonder what Rob Lowe thinks about the game.
    That is the first thought that popped in my head when I saw the title, lol.

And this game looks extremely terrible. Its not a great series, but the Leisure Suit Larry franchise deserves better.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#25  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @Sunjammer: You nailed it on the head.  Lowe's humor wasn't so much filthy as it was a silly take on the bachelor life.  It wasn't Shakespearean, but it also certainly wasn't trash.  I'd love to see Lowe involved in another game somewhere down the line.  As much as it pains me to say this, I just don't think it should be Leisure Suit Larry after the latest atrocities.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Milkman

I'm pretty sure the Box Office BUST is referring to ejaculating, not boobs. Get it? Bust, as in "busting".

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheKidNixon
    Milkman said:
    I'm pretty sure the Box Office BUST is referring to ejaculating, not boobs. Get it? Bust, as in "busting". [more]
    It really can go either way really.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By agentboolen

Big Evil Corporations at it again!!!!  You think Mickey is that fun loving mouse???  Down with Corporate Greed, Hate the Mouse and everything he stands for.  CORPORATE GREED!!!!

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29  Edited By giyanks22

Yeah he should come back

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Insectecutor
    Milkman said:
    I'm pretty sure the Box Office BUST is referring to ejaculating, not boobs. Get it? Bust, as in "busting". [more]
    Busting makes me feel good.
    baron_calamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By baron_calamity
     I'm a huge fan of the series. Own every game and even bought the original LeisureSuitLarry on several different platorms. I thought LSL:MCL was a good game that was unfairly maligned for rubbing people's biases the wrong way. While I thought Box Office Bust looked terrible, I was looking forwards to it. As the reviews came out I tried to keep it in perspective that people just like hating on these games.  *sigh* It's a terrible game. No way around it. While it was made by an established company with a long history, Team 17, it feels like it was someone's first game. While the writing is terrible, it even fails as a game. Everything feels off or broken.  Its not the worse game I've played ever but I doubt anything worse will come out this year.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Media_Master

sounds terrible

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.