Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lichdom: Battlemage

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 26, 2014

A first-person action-RPG based heavily around spellcasting. The first game from independent developer Xaviant, and one of the first titles to use CryEngine 3.

Anyone played this yet?

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I got to meet one of the lead devs for this game a while back and had a great conversation. It sounds cool, looks cool, but anyone played the early access? Worth putting down $20 for?

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jazz_Bcaz

I dunno, it just looked like a generic FPS but disguising a lot of the boring tropes as magic. Basically like an Infamous game but with less artistic flair. The problem with magic in games isn't that they're glass cannons, it's that they're usually underwhelming considering what magic should mean. This game didn't seem to address what it claimed to even slightly.

To me, hands on screen is one of the biggest banes of gaming as well. It makes it look clunky as Skyrim. I heard they were talking about adding aggressive movement mechanics and all that, which personally I would find disastrous in a first person perspective, and it's also like I said, not really addressing what I think magic should be like in games.

Alpha footage looks well built though. Just not for me.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@nate: On GameSpot's The Lobby, Kevin VanOrd played it for a bit. It looks pretty neat. Kevin said he would do an early access review for it.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#6 fisk0  Moderator

Wasn't there supposed to be a big update recently? Anyone seen what that added?

zygoatsalami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Now that this game is officially out, any opinions duders? I agree with @Jazz_Bcaz and his point about the hands on screen being rather clunky, but I am interested in a game trying to innovate in a well worn genre.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Now that this game is officially out, any opinions duders? I agree with @Jazz_Bcaz and his point about the hands on screen being rather clunky, but I am interested in a game trying to innovate in a well worn genre.

I thought about asking this question a few days ago, reviews seem pretty positive for the most part. I think i'll probably give this a whirl in the next few days when I get home. From what I can gather it seems pretty fun.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I dunno, it just looked like a generic FPS but disguising a lot of the boring tropes as magic. Basically like an Infamous game but with less artistic flair. The problem with magic in games isn't that they're glass cannons, it's that they're usually underwhelming considering what magic should mean. This game didn't seem to address what it claimed to even slightly.

To me, hands on screen is one of the biggest banes of gaming as well. It makes it look clunky as Skyrim. I heard they were talking about adding aggressive movement mechanics and all that, which personally I would find disastrous in a first person perspective, and it's also like I said, not really addressing what I think magic should be like in games.

Alpha footage looks well built though. Just not for me.

What do you think magic should be like in games?

VioleGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By VioleGrace

@jazz_bcaz: I do not agree with you about magic ( or mages ) being glass cannons in all games , for me , i would prefer to take the magic route if available rather than swinging a piece of metal around which is IMO so boring and underwhelming , why use and relay on a weapon when "you" can be the weapon yourself ? your weapon might fail you and break one way or another , but that would never happen with magic , because in most games magic is a huge system in itself that opens up more ways of playing , rather than swords .

Lichdom is a great game , the combat is really fun and engaging , you get to learn various kind of magic which is really fun to use , so i am enjoying it so far..

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well finally got it. It seems pretty fun so far, graphics are good, spells are satisfying.

I'm confused as hell with the crafting system though, it seems like it could be fun but i think i'm fucking it up pretty hard by crafting random things together, at one point i crafted a purple item back into a blue item and can't find any sort of recovery - so yeh i guess that can happen. The fact this game doesn't scale properly to a triple monitor setup is probably most of the issue since it messes with the UI and makes it hard to see what is going on.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rowr

Ok guys I gave this another shot after watching the recent quicklook where Dan is about up to where I left off and decided to start a new campaign. I put some effort into working out the crafting this time which I think will be the stumbling block for most people, but goddam just do it because the crafting is pretty much the whole game. After beating the first cache I messed with it and crafted three epic items, an ice pool infused with mastery and a fireball which casts a little quicker and does more damage. Also a shield upgrade. So yeh all the sudden throw down an ice pool in a hallway and hit a guy with a charged fireball and he pops at about 570 crit. Ocassionally the stars align and it crits for a whopping 2000. So yeh this is just messing around in the first level.

So yeh just thought I would mention cause i wasn't really putting the time into working it out the first few hours and ended up accidentally crafting all my stuff away not understanding how the upgrade system worked and after watching the quicklook with Dan being completely ignorant in the same regard (as you would expect because crafting is dorky yada yada yada MERICA) I thought I would mention and advise for anyone making the same mistake to give it another shake.

If you hit the J button in game it gives you a pretty good run down on how it all works. There's also the tutorials I guess but personally I skipped them because the audio was juttering and lagging for some reason.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.