Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Life Is Strange

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jan 30, 2015

An episodic adventure game based around time manipulation from Remember Me developers DONTNOD.

Life Is Hella Strange

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

Edited By gla55jAw

What an interesting little find this game (Episode 1) was. Since the first season of The Walking Dead from Telltale, I have fallen in love and been on the lookout for adventure games. Not quite ready to dig into some of those trial and error click-fests that are the old Lucas Arts and Sierra games that I could never beat as a child (Torin’s Passage, I’m looking at you); I recently fell in love with The Wolf Among Us, the first episode’s of Game of Thrones and Tales From The Borderlands are all so fantastic. So, stumbling upon a new adventure game in the same style got me excited. A little research and a Giant Bomb Quick Look later, I decided I need to play this game.

I sat down to play the game on a day that I stayed home from work (shoveling 2 feet of snow will do that do you). I must say, I was impressed; I played the game in a single sitting.

Life Is Strange centers on a high school senior named Maxine Caulfield. Max was accpeted into her dream private school back in her hometown. She is an artsy, photography student who seems to be crushing hella hard on her Photography teacher. Our young lead eventually finds herself the witness to the murder of a girl in the bathroom. When the gunshot goes off and she raises her hand and yells, something strange happens; time rewinds.

Thus, the player is introduced to Max’s new time travel powers. You can rewind time at any (almost) time and remake conversational and action choices. A notification will pop letting you know that there will be consequences for your actions. The choices seem like they should have a significant impact on future episodes, as no answer seems like the right choice. Sometimes I felt as if I were picking the lesser of two evils. This time rewind mechanic is GREAT. In all these telltale games that have been coming out lately, I can never really tell if I chose the correct choice or not. I find myself quitting out of the game, going back and testing out other choices. I want my roleplay to make sense, not just quickly choose one response over the other because there is a timer counting down. Life Is Strange’s mechanic lets me go through every dialogue option tree until I feel like I have it exactly the way I want it to play out. My one gripe is that in one later chapter (the parking lot, for those of you who have played), you cannot do this. The end of the chapter ends with a cut-scene that loads directly into the next chapter. This is very frustrating since the rest of the game you can check and analyze every scenario until you’re ready to decide on what you want history to be. Alas, this is small negative on an otherwise completely enjoyable experience.

To sum up before I ramble on; this game is special and I can’t wait until the next episode comes out. 5/5.

A few key notes I jotted down while playing;

• Samuel (the strange janitor) is weird. Almost too weird. X-Files weird; which is funny because there was a reference to the X-Files after I wrote this.
    • Enjoy – Exploring the school and speaking classmates and teachers. I was reminded of the little bit of Bully I had played for some reason.
    • The writing is interesting, especially the journal that updates after significant points in each chapter.
    • Great references; X-Files, Dr. Who, Fullmetal Alchemist, Scott Pilgrim, Kickstarter.
    • At one point Max said she’s Analog and Not digital. I wonder if this will flower into a larger theme throughout the story. Other than for her obvious love of her Polaroid camera.
    • Her buddy Warren signs his name “Warren G.”
    • What’s up with Plasma TVs in this universe?
    • Interesting that Max doesn’t want to use her power for “trivial bullshit.”
    • The music is FANTASTIC and sets the mood perfectly.
    • Choices seem like they’re going to matter a lot. Hopefully DONTNOD can follow through on this.
    • Collection Mode is great for quickly grabbing any missing pictures you need to take and simply quitting the game once you’ve found it.
    • Hella.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

I really hope they stop her from shaking her Polaroid photos next episode. That's the most immersion breaking thing for me. If they could patch it out of Episode 1 at some point too that would be great. Literally #1 with a bullet feature request.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This first episode was alright, and my thoughts are in the other thread, but man, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought of Bully.

And now i really want Bully 2.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really hope they stop her from shaking her Polaroid photos next episode. That's the most immersion breaking thing for me. If they could patch it out of Episode 1 at some point too that would be great. Literally #1 with a bullet feature request.

Why?

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I really hope that is sarcasm (very hard to tell in text sometimes) cause otherwise I'm forced to ask how is that breaking immersion? You realize people shook Polaroids all the damn time right?

Pete0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I thought her shaking the photos was a great touch. The way she does it made it seem like it has become a habit for her she has done it so many times.

I hope they don't veer off into too much scifi instead of keeping it school/town centred story. I'd love to see more depth to the current cast before they expand it to more people. Hell, I even felt guilty about Victoria by the end and would like an opportunity to give their relationship another go.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What decade is it meant to be set in? It seems like the 90s only with modern mobile phones for some reason.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Blommer4

Gonna have to join the "... Why?" bandwagon here...

... Why?

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Hella Step-ass, totes.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warren G as in Warren G. Harding, no doubt. One of the worst American presidents.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

@pete0r said:

I thought her shaking the photos was a great touch. The way she does it made it seem like it has become a habit for her she has done it so many times.

I hope they don't veer off into too much scifi instead of keeping it school/town centred story. I'd love to see more depth to the current cast before they expand it to more people. Hell, I even felt guilty about Victoria by the end and would like an opportunity to give their relationship another go.

I chuckled when she did it. You're not supposed to, but everyone did that. I think the bigger issue is how they don't make them anymore. How is she paying for all that film?

I was a little worried that the preview of the next episode seems to not be in the school. I have a feeling it's going to jump between school and finding the missing girl. Maybe a little bit of mystery and suspense. They have my interest, no doubt.

Warren G as in Warren G. Harding, no doubt. One of the worst American presidents.

He certainly knew how to regulate.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@hayt said:

What decade is it meant to be set in? It seems like the 90s only with modern mobile phones for some reason.

I think they establish the game as being set in October 2013. I'm guessing they must have concepted the game back then and locked in the year, then spent 2014 on Facebook and Tumblr trying to figure out how present day American teenagers talk (they honestly did an OK job given that they don't live in the same continent). There are some dates on calendars or something that indicate the year being 2013. Also on the character pages, I think Max was born in something like 1995, and the game establishes that she just turned 18.

There's a wide range of slang and some of it seems more like early 2000s slang to me that I wouldn't expect teens to still be using by 2013, but still, it's reasonably close to believe teenage dialogue sometimes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.