Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Life Is Strange

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jan 30, 2015

An episodic adventure game based around time manipulation from Remember Me developers DONTNOD.

Life is Strange developers take a massive dump on vegans

This topic is locked from further discussion.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I really hope you're not being serious with your apparent disapproval here.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By bombedyermom

Vegans can't eat meat. Therefore, Belgians are off the table.

"The Waffles, they're made of people! Waffles are made of people!!"

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

I'm sorry what?

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I really want to believe you're just joking but I think it says something about the moment in time we live in that I can't actually tell anymore.

MVHVTMV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MVHVTMV

@bombedyermom said:

Vegans can't eat meat. Therefore, Belgians are off the table.

Vegans also can't eat dairy or eggs, which I think is the actual issue here?

Either way, I'm not sure why anyone would get upset over this, it's not like it's an expected fact that all videogames should give every kind of dietary requirement thought. There's no gluten free option for coeliacs, and I can't think of a single videogame that's ever even acknowledged the idea of Jain Vegetarianism. It's an interesting thought, but it's also not an accurate depiction of walking into a diner in America.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Huh... is this fake outrage just to post this clip? Or is there something really anti-vegan about Belgian waffles I don't know about?

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Nardak

Damn those developers and their Belgian waffles. Damn them to hell.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Haruko

Is the character a vegan if so this could in some possible way be somehow valid in some kind of weird universe otherwise, what the hell? Its a videogame you cannot be seriously saying "if my character can't be vegan I can't play it"

Also lol at this being posted by someones handle being egg.

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is really weird, so I'm just going to assume it was a study to determine which percentage of the Giant Bomb audience has A: A basic understanding of what a joke is or B: A basic understanding of what veganism is.

I can say this about the preliminary results though: They aren't looking good.

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

So in a very subtle format, we learn in this scene that the main protagonist is not a vegan.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By damodar

Maybe Giant Bomb should go vegan and ban Egg

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope the aforementioned dump also belonged to a vegan, or we've got a problem here.

ikramit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ikramit

THE HORROR #VEGGATE

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched Contact last night so I thought they were dumping on the inhabitants of the Vega system.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're joking, or this is a ridiculous thing to try to be offended by. I hope its the first.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

The day videogames went too far. Yah that white phosphorus thing was kinda bad in Spec Ops, but making me EAT A WAFFLE? You went too far Dontnod.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeeeeah.......In some ways I'm hoping you're actually being serious, because as a joke, this isn't getting even a chuckle.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar said:

Maybe Giant Bomb should go vegan and ban Egg

Yeah, yall should be familiar with Egg by now. This is... pretty Egg.

It's a joke. :|

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strife777: This is the best thread so far this year. I'd eat an Belgian any day.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Does this mean the new episode is out?

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@deanoxd said:

Personally i wouldn't trust anyone who doesn't eat meat or meat products. They are just bad people.

I agree! And this is just the first step of many against the evil Veganists! Down with anti meat eaters! WAAAAAAAR!!!!

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By egg

@ohnooh

"There's no gluten free option" <-- Why would it matter what your personal health requirements are if Maxine is the one eating, not you? So that's not what this is about.

"can't think of a single videogame that's ever even acknowledged" <-- That's the thing, most games don't make you order food. (and of those games, even fewer that are serious dramas that focus on realistic moral consequences, like Life is Strange)

"It's an interesting thought, but it's also not an accurate depiction of walking into a diner in America." <-- Look, I get it. It's gritty realism. In some games, I see signs for burger joints, or enemies drop health pickups in the form of food, etc. But that's not what this is about. I'm not saying the fictional diner *in* Life is Strange can't serve eggs/bacon. (Hell, even the menu in the game has a picture of bacon on it, if I remember correctly.) Or hell, if Maxine orders either dish on her own, that's fine too. Actually, it's still wrong, but at least it's no different than watching a character in a TV show eat/purchase animal product. When you're forced to participate in the choice, and the game does not proceed until you do, that's crossing the line. At that point the devs are asking for a shitstorm, whether they knew it or not. (or rather, precisely because they didn't know it. It's painfully obvious they didn't)

@lyisa - According to wikipedia, the main ingredients of Belgian waffles include eggs, milk, and butter.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What exactly is "Phoenix Down"? Is it actually a feather from a phoenix and there're phoenix farmers out there in Final Fantasy land raising, killing and plucking phoenixes for what must be a massive industry since their product can literally raise the dead? Is it done humanely?

Don't get me started on people huffing "ether" to get some "magic points".

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What exactly is "Phoenix Down"? Is it actually a feather from a phoenix and there're phoenix farmers out there in Final Fantasy land raising, killing and plucking phoenixes for what must be a massive industry since their product can literally raise the dead? Is it done humanely?

Except that Life is Strange is set in the real world, and bacon and eggs actually exist. More importantly, we know where bacon and eggs come from. (gestation crates and battery cages, respectively)

PeZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@egg:

@egg said:

@sinusoidal said:

Except that Life is Strange is set in the real world, and bacon and eggs actually exist. More importantly, we know where bacon and eggs come from. (gestation crates and battery cages, respectively)

And they are delicious!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While their exact form differs game to game, Phoenix Down is indeed a reference to down feathers of birds. Traditionally, they're exquisite feathers, not necessarily from the Phoenix but presented as an offering to the summoned Phoenix who then raises the dead. Similar to spells like "Life", the item is channeling magic(often from the Espers) to achieve a miraculous result.

Though, in FF lore, it's possible to be too far gone. Such as is the case with people killed in the wars, who have died of old age, or ones like Aerith, killed by a magical weapon. The Phoenix's power to raise the dead is not absolute.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By burgavo

So, am I getting this right in assuming the character you play is a vegan? If so, wouldn't the fact the local diner doesn't serve any vegan options, just deepen her plight and reveal the struggle of small town middle american vegan's and as such ad to the feelings teenage angst and not being understood?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burgavo said:

So, am I getting this right in assuming the character you play is a vegan? If so, wouldn't the fact the local diner doesn't serve any vegan options, just deepen her plight and reveal the struggle of small town middle american vegan's and as such ad to the feelings teenage angst and not being understood? Couldn't that be exactly what the devs were going for?

Woah. You might be onto something. I could see it as a further reinforcement of how out of place she feels in this small town.

Though, again, I know Egg is joking and clearly trying to be "satirical".

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@deanoxd said:

Personally i wouldn't trust anyone who doesn't eat meat or meat products. They are just bad people.

Haven't they ever heard of the Food Chain?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wat... Get over yourself. Max is not an extension of you or your personal ideals.

All this fake outrage lately is getting out of hand.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By egg

@burgavo said:

So, am I getting this right in assuming the character you play is a vegan? If so, wouldn't the fact the local diner doesn't serve any vegan options, just deepen her plight and reveal the struggle of small town middle american vegan's and as such ad to the feelings teenage angst and not being understood? Couldn't that be exactly what the devs were going for?

Except that Maxine actually orders the belgian waffles...

Try harder.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TruthTellah
    @tothenines said:

Wat... Get over yourself. Max is not an extension of you or your personal ideals.

All this fake outrage lately is getting out of hand.

Most recent outrage is sincere and you perhaps just don't relate to it.

But yeah, this right here is prime fake outrage to kind of make a joke of and troll said sincere outrage.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg: right, I was still making my way through the vid, I can scratch the idea of the devs actually going for allienation, if they didn't know a belgian waffle is a vegan no no.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg said:

@burgavo said:

Except that Maxine actually orders the belgian waffles...

Try harder.

So, in actuality, this thread is: "Character in videogame orders belgian waffles. Enjoys waffles."

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

IM SO ANGRY !!!!!!!!!!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Stop trolling.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.