Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Life Is Strange

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jan 30, 2015

An episodic adventure game based around time manipulation from Remember Me developers DONTNOD.

Life is Strange Episode 4 Discussion (Spoilers)

• 145 results
    Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

EDIT: If anyone is finding their way here after the GBeast video of the first episode, tread carefully. There are no spoiler tags here. You can find discussions about the other episodes if you look through the Life is Strange forums.

I think we need a discussion thread for the most recent episode of Life is Strange. Obviously there will be spoilers so if you have not played the game or the episode yet I suggest you steer clear.

So first off: HOLY FUCK THAT SHIT WAS INTENSE. I think I'm going to sleep on my theories and impressions since I ended up going out after finishing the episode and had a few drinks so I'm finding it difficult to gather my thoughts. I will edit this post with my thoughts later.

But for now: what did you all think? What choices did you make? Theories for the future of Max and Chloe? Obviously the game will be wrapping up next time, so how do we all think that will happen? General impressions of the game as a whole would also be appreciated!

EDIT: So my impressions: First off I have to say that this episode begins strong. The scenes with the wheel chair bound Chloe are fantastic, and if you search around the house and talk to Joyce it foreshadows whats to come well. That first choice Max has make is heart wrenching, but I ultimately decided to help Chloe end her own life. I have to imagine this will come into play later on, the two moons at the party perhaps foreshadowing some kind of alternate reality merger.

I don't really think it's possible for me not to focus my impressions on the three major events in the main timeline that occur in this episode (1: Finding The Dark Room. 2: The reveal that Rachel Amber was murdered and 3: The Mark Jefferson reveal) but here are some on my other choices. I had saved Kate early on so when I visited her at the hospital I let her help with with Nathan's dorm. I managed to get Frank on my side and get the encrypted client names without issue, though it took me a couple of tries to get it right. I pulled Warren off of Nathan when he was beating him up. Still. Pretty badass move on Warren's part. When I tried to warn Victoria at the party she didn't believe me, probably because of that stupid paint picture.

Now on to the big stuff. 1: The Dark Room. I loved this part. Perfectly creepy and the way that they keep eluding to the fact someone was there recently made it tense as hell for me. It also revealed where those files were and planted seeds in your head that Nathan was a single party behind it all. 2: The Rachel reveal I thought was fantastic. I was convinced that there was some sort of Twin Peaks Laura Palmer going on this her. I suppose there still may be but the scene of Chloe and Max finding her body somehow eliminated that from my mind. 3: The Mr. Jefferson reveal. Now I can't say I say this coming, really but when I saw it it kinda made sense. I guess thats what the best reveals make you realize though. He always seemed a bit... off to me, but I never assumed he was in cahoots with Nathan, working some crazy rapey girl drugging photo taking ring. Also the fact he.. you know... shoots Chloe in the head. I have to imagine that the 'go back in time' mechanic will be used again to reverse this.

I really enjoyed the detective work aspect of this one. The 'clue board' in Chloe's room wasn't difficult to decipher and get the correct outcome but it made the game feel like an awesome detective story which I love.

My theory for the future stands. I think Max will die at the end of this game. I think she'll use the Warren photo at the party to save Chloe and get evidence from Jefferson, then use the blue butterfly photo to go back and put herself between Chloe and Nathan, sacrificing herself to make sure the bad guys go down and none of this shit ever happens a-la Donnie Darko. The same way that in Donnie Darko you never see that cataclysmic event he's trying to prevent because he.. well.. prevents it, Max will do the same thing in a similar fashion. Though this game has surprised me before, so I can also see it going in some way I can't imagine. My 'Max dying' theory could also have some merit since DontNod have stated they would have a completely different cast for a second game.

Overall I would say I love this game. I think it started a bit rough but it's proved it's willing to go places with it's story I haven't seen many games go. Certainly not in this kind of High School setting. That stuff is usually reserved for film and the Donnie Darkos of the world. It's going to be a hard wait for Episode 5

BrunoFFS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm still processing everything, but HOLY SHIT. Easy GOTY contender for me.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ghostiet

THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED

This episode definitely changes my entire outlook on a lot of decisions that happened, particularly regarding David's inolvement. I always knew he had good intentions hidden under a lot of jackassery, but now I might go back and enable a bit more of his shit for the sake of making him potentially more helpful in the finale. Some quick thoughts:

That last scene has to be undone at the end of Ep. 5, right? Especially with Warren's photograph?

I'm not buying the Jefferson reveal yet, but I'd have to look at the other episodes. It's a major bomb, but it wasn't foreshadowed too much. I hope we get more on that in the opening minutes of Ep. 5.

Warren is DA BOWSS, nerds ho!

Alternate timeline must be playing a bigger role in the finale, considering there are two moons in the sky - the other is probably bleeding into the main timeline. Wonder if we'll have to merge the universes.

Interesting to see that in the alternative timeline, Jefferson probably still is a creepy rapist serial killer, since girls still disappear.

Scenes with paraplegic!Chloe were killing me. I'm glad that even with the increased importance of the murder plot this episode, Life Is Strange still manages to show a slice of life that hits hard.

Also, HOLY FUCKING SHIT

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure this is the first time i've ever performed a fist-pumping "yesssssss" gesture when someone was revealed to (potentially) be a creepy girl-doping raper (or at least somehow involved in it). I've always disliked that Jefferson sumbitch.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to imagine that the 'go back in time' mechanic will be used again to reverse this.

I think it's going to be the photo Warren took that will come to play with that. Especially since Max is constrained entirely to the space it was taken in, which would make for some very interesting puzzles and writing conceits to figure out how to avert Chloe's death and the rest of it. I would imagine that this and Max's ability to stop time when she overloads will play a role in the finale.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MOAB

BOOM HEADSHOT

All I could think about for the last half of the episode was how dumb they were for not going to the police. I mean, come on.

@ghostiet: I really can't wait to see how it plays out. They really like to fuck with Chloe.

ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moab:

@moab said:

BOOM HEADSHOT

All I could think about for the last half of the episode was how dumb they were for not going to the police. I mean, come on.

As soon as they found the Dark Room they should have called the cops. But then they only would have busted Nathan and the larger conspiracy involving Mr. Jefferson wouldn't have been solved. It makes sense that they didn't since it was in service of the twist. They also kinda of write that part off with the "The Prescotts own the cops" line and Chloe's blind desire for revenge. Not saying it's perfect. I would have called the cops immediately. But hey, that's story telling!

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

It hit me hard throughout. When I refused to kill Chloe, after how she reacted, I rewinded and accepted her request. I cried.

When they find Rachel... and the Doe bows its head then fades...

The teaser video for Ep. 5 after the credits...

Damn I'm just... so numb, you know?

The 2nd moon fading away... Maybe Jefferson can rewind as well? That would explain how he got to the junkyard so fast without Max and Chloe noticing... maybe.

I assumed they didn't go to the police because they really think the Prescotts are above the law, and that they were the sole perpetrators of what happened to Rachel and Kate.

Damn I'm just so desperate to play Episode 5.

Also I found this on the steam forums:

Loading Video...

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh God I just remembered the scene of them discovering Rachel, it just popped in my head now and I'm tearing up again....!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

It was pretty amazing. Way better than all the previous episodes. I just need to find out what happens.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Wowowowowowow my jaw hurts from clenching it for the last like hour there. I thought it was real weird that Nathan had a picture of him and Rachel I mean I get that he could have set up a timer or something but c'mon. Assumed it was going to be David somehow but nope, Mr. Jefferson. Fuuuck that guy. Obvious, really, when I think about it. Ick ick ick. The wait for episode 5 is going to be TORTURE. Also that whole section with Frank was a huge fucking pain. Rewound that so many times.

I think she'll use the Warren photo at the party to save Chloe and get evidence from Jefferson, then use the blue butterfly photo to go back and put herself between Chloe and Nathan, sacrificing herself to make sure the bad guys go down and none of this shit ever happens a-la Donnie Darko.

But if she goes all the way back to die to Nathan in the bathroom, she'll erase the entire timeline so going back into Warren's photo first wouldn't matter would it?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StarvingGamer

@treetrunk: Oh wow, that video, almost makes me glad I have such poor attention for detail in this game so everything is a surprise o_O

ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: You're right, but continuing with my Donnie Darko comparison. It is possible that some memory of what happened in one timeline exists in my theorized "Max is Dead" timeline. Like how Gretchen waves at Donnie's mother at the end of Donnie Darko even though they technically don't know each other anymore.

Also since Max retains her memories and (to use a really video gamey term) inventory when she goes back she could get the evidence from the Warren photograph, go back again using the Butterfly photograph, stop Chloe's death by being killed herself, which would obviously end Nathan, then give Chloe the evidence against Jefferson.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeez that ending was a kick in the teeth. Things are still spinning around in my head, I literally just finished it not even ten minutes ago. Leading up to it I had the sinking feeling that things were going too smoothly. Victoria and I are cool cause I didn't take advantage of the whole paint thing so she believed me about the dark room, Kate was happy and helped me out, I managed to get Frank on our side and it only cost him his life, his dog's life and also his leg but he a'ight now, but fuck I knew something was gonna pop up at the end and it still floored me. They did a great job making me feel helpless there, I was hammering on L2 throughout the whole cutscene to no avail. I was really invested in saving Chloe, after all the shit she's been through in two different timelines now I really wanted to see her make it out okay, so it goes without saying that I'm pretty devastated right now. Sorry, this was more just me rambling without direction here, but fuck that ending.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@treetrunk: dam, I came on here to say how out of nowhere that ending was but it seems from that video that I just had my head up my ass focusing on Nathan

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @clairvoyantvibrations said:

@starvinggamer: You're right, but continuing with my Donnie Darko comparison. It is possible that some memory of what happened in one timeline exists in my theorized "Max is Dead" timeline. Like how Gretchen waves at Donnie's mother at the end of Donnie Darko even though they technically don't know each other anymore.

Also since Max retains her memories and (to use a really video gamey term) inventory when she goes back she could get the evidence from the Warren photograph, go back again using the Butterfly photograph, stop Chloe's death by being killed herself, which would obviously end Nathan, then give Chloe the evidence against Jefferson.

Does she? It's hard to remember now, but I thought objects went back to where they were when she did the small skips, only her location stayed the same. In either case, I don't think that would apply to a big time jump. When she went back to save Chloe's dad she certainly didn't carry anything from the future with her. And I don't thinks he'd have enough time to explain anything to Chloe if she went back to get shot. Who knows. EVERYTHING IS MADNESS.

EDIT: And I don't think she would need any evidence anyways. If Nathan shot/killed Max at school I can't imagine the Prescott family would be able to bury it, and in any sort of investigation it's almost certain that Nathan would give up Mr. Jefferson. He'd probably be ordered to do so by his lawyer for leniency.

Dokaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fucking hell what an ending to this episode. This game got dark as fuck. Somehow the soundtrack to the game made this seem even worse for some reason, not sure how to explain it. The game - aside from the time rewind mechanic obviously - just feels so grounded, so a situation like this just feels downright terrifying.

Game of the year contender for me thus far. Hope they can wrap it up satisfactorily in the final episode.

Schromium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished. My head is too fucked to talk about any plot details but I just want to say...

People who are waiting until all 5 episodes are released are missing out imo. The cliffhangers and wait just add to the tension in a positive way. Plus in the down time, so many fans are putting out their theories, the discussion is crazy. It's really cool and just adds so much to the experience of this game. I feel like blowing through all the episodes at once wouldn't be as great.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Milkman

What the fuck just happened?

There was obviously drama before but his game mostly just a cute, nice coming of age story prior to this episode. But things took such a goddamn turn right from the start here. Chloe "dying" in the alternate timeline, that True Detective shit with the Prescott murder barn, finding Rachel's body, Chloe dying twice in the same episode. I have absolutely no idea what to think or where the story goes from here. I never in a million years would have suspected that Jefferson had anything to do with any of this.

I still have a lot of reservations about this game's writing, especially with the dialogue but holy shit, if I'm not invested in this story.

ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: I think the kinda bad writing adds to the game's charm. It reminds me of a student film, in some ways. Not perfect but still engaging as all hell.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Fucking hell. This series took a sharp turn into pitch black darkness. I expected Jefferson to be somehow involved once I ran into him in this episode, maybe it's just experience with stories, but something about him felt really off the whole time this episode. Still, god dammit. The alternate universe with Chloe was just heart wrenching, finding Rachel Amber literally had me mouth agape, Warren actually didn't completely suck this episode...the whole thing was just fantastic.

@clairvoyantvibrations: You motherfucker. I hadn't even considered the idea that killing/not killing Chloe in that timeline might somehow play into this one. I honored her request because I was fixing time anyway. Now I'm panicked that killing her in that timeline is gonna mean she stays dead in this one. I will be so pissed if that's the case.

As for theories, I'm expecting something with that Warren photo as well, outside of that I got nothing other than Warren maybe having followed Max and Chloe and ends up helping Max out of her...situation. So hyped for the final episode.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TreeTrunk
    redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for theories, I'm expecting something with that Warren photo as well, outside of that I got nothing other than Warren maybe having followed Max and Chloe and ends up helping Max out of her...situation.

Man, if that happens I take back every bad thing I ever said about Warren (which was a lot).

I wonder if the school surveillance thing is ever going to pay off. I opted not to sign the petition way back when because I thought maybe having cameras around would help nip some things in the bud, but hell, if Nathan's just flashing his gun around yet again I'm starting to doubt it's going to help.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TreeTrunk

@yi_orange said:

@clairvoyantvibrations: You motherfucker. I hadn't even considered the idea that killing/not killing Chloe in that timeline might somehow play into this one. I honored her request because I was fixing time anyway. Now I'm panicked that killing her in that timeline is gonna mean she stays dead in this one. I will be so pissed if that's the case.

Or, the last memory she has of Max in that timeline will either be love or resentment, and that may play a role, maybe with the spirit animals. Hmm...

Edit: I would also like to add this response I found on the steam forums in regards to Max and Chloe not going to the police.

It's already been stated that the Prescotts own Arcadia Bay and the police force. The only reason there are even missing person fliers for Rachel are because Chloe has been posting them all around town. The fact that you can directly tell the principal that Nathan both has a gun and dosed Kate and he just shrugs it off should pretty much tell you how those in power react. Even that cop in the diner in the third ep says the cops can't do ♥♥♥♥ without word from the Prescotts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I watched the supposed heroes threaten and then assassinate a man and his dog.

And then it became Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I'm far from sure I like the turn this episode took, but I am in til the end. Holy shit, I'm feeling really uncomfortable right now.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clairvoyantvibrations: "I had saved Kate early on so when I visited her at the hospital I let her help with with Nathan's dorm. I managed to get Frank on my side and get the encrypted client names without issue, though it took me a couple of tries to get it right. I pulled Warren off of Nathan when he was beating him up. Still. Pretty badass move on Warren's part. When I tried to warn Victoria at the party she didn't believe me, probably because of that stupid paint picture."

I just finished it. As for those choices, same for all except Victoria believed me, and she does mention the paint, which I had stopped from getting on (or was it just about saying something nice, and you couldn't prevent it from getting on her? I believe that was it). I also agree that there will probably be a time shifting moment in which Chloe still lives (I hope), and perhaps Max dies. Since I just finished it, I don't really know what to say. All I feel like I can say is that I can't wait for the next one, and I thought the entire thing has been great and I'm glad I got it.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Me: The first fucking choice you make this episode is whether or not to go through with helping your alternate dimension paralyzed best-friend commit suicide. Surely, things can't get any crazier than this...right?

DONTNOD: lol.

Loveunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished it. I actually thought that the dark room is the 'business' that Sean Prescott was talking about, and he's the psycho, since everybody's talking about how evil the Presscots are. Not gonna say that Jefferson being the creep was a total surprise, but still pretty shocking to actually see it.

For some reason, seeing Chloe's death reminds me of the first episode, and I can't shake the feeling that her death is inevitable . Their entire journey was filled with Max stopping Chloe's death, her powers even showed up when she stopped Nathan from shooting Chloe. Also, in the alternate reality Chloe was destined to die.

I also think that picture Warren took will come into play, and I somehow feel that Rachel might be connected to Max's powers... somehow.

There are so many ways to wrap up the story, I just hope Dontnod will execute it well. Which, seeing their work will all the current episodes makes me think that they will.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yi_orange said:

Or, the last memory she has of Max in that timeline will either be love or resentment, and that may play a role, maybe with the spirit animals. Hmm...

Edit: I would also like to add this response I found on the steam forums in regards to Max and Chloe not going to the police.

It's already been stated that the Prescotts own Arcadia Bay and the police force. The only reason there are even missing person fliers for Rachel are because Chloe has been posting them all around town. The fact that you can directly tell the principal that Nathan both has a gun and dosed Kate and he just shrugs it off should pretty much tell you how those in power react. Even that cop in the diner in the third ep says the cops can't do ♥♥♥♥ without word from the Prescotts.

Yep, you're going to the party where the underage kids (this fictional America is 21+ drinking age, right?) can drink freely and grab drugs because the cops are so paid off they're being told to not go anywhere near the school. Can't remember exactly where that is disclosed but it's very clear the power of the Prescotts extends to the police and school completely (even if you didn't get into it with the cop in the last episode). Not going to the police (especially with the reveal) is completely within expectations. The law can't really help without mountains of proof that basically means "caught in the act". It's all incriminating, but not conclusive enough to break through the power of that family.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I think the opening scene is really manipulative but also totally landed for me. Crushing. This story is now, without any shadow of a doubt, about the love between Max and Chloe. I think that means that the last episode has to explore that as the core idea of one of the story lines. It can't be ignored and turn into queer-baiting. Even if that resolution is that their love isn't romantic but sororal, that still needs space to be explored to pay off what is clearly the core of this story. The current ending (yep, Jefferson has always seemed a bit off with enough inference that something's not quite right there and involvement with Rachel Amber) with Max unable to use the short-form time rewind to save Chloe leads into that desperate attempt to save her.

My current expectation is that the references to the blue butterfly photo are going to be how that plays out. Max will eventually go back to the bathroom and my fear is (unlike the theory considered above) that a game that is so much about how we can't know the results of our actions will ask that Max doesn't get involved, doesn't change anything. That she goes back in time to the first time her power manifested and doesn't change events. A crushing downer of a conclusion but one that mirrors the way Chloe has been saved over and over at various spots (depending on how you've screwed up and changed reality down different paths - at least some of the times like the train, bathroom, etc are non-optional paths that only superpowers can avoid) and everything is falling apart.

Maybe the other main thread (the end of the world, the supernatural) will conclude with Max knowing she can only make one more jump/rewind before her power if forever gone and that only by undoing everything she's done can she possibly stop the world from ending. Chloe must die for everyone to live, choosing anything else means everyone dies in a week from that point.

I'm still wondering if the Prescott threads are going to be able to land (about how they plan to massively change Arcadia Bay - do we get resolution to that or is that now just some shadow-y evil fodder that's almost used up? Seems like we get too much exploration of father Prescott and the "plans" they have this episode to drop it) and I really worry about Dontnod falling into a David Cage shaped hole and ramping up the superpowers/supernatural elements. These last two episodes have been incredible so hopefully they know how to land this all but I'm worried something'll get dropped as they try to land so many different threads (eg is the homeless woman someone you've talked to at length several times? Surely she has to appear somewhere in the final episode).

Monty_vaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Man, it is really impressive how tense this episode made me through the entire thing. I'm a fan of the Telltale games, but DONTNOD is eating their lunch right now. The previous episodes' lower key character building moments and their great environmental storytelling has me really caring about a lot of these characters, and from the beginning of this ep DONTNOD very explicitly says this is not going to be a happy episode for any of them. Was super on edge the whole time playing and the numerous gut punches left me feeling kind of sick. I audibly gasped when I turned on the computer in the dark room and saw the pic of Kate.

Saw the Jefferson reveal coming, he gave off such a sleaze bag vibe that it seemed impossible that he wasn't involved some how. I have watched some of the above's video author's let's plays, so that probably also hammered home the suspicion.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loveunit said:

For some reason, seeing Chloe's death reminds me of the first episode, and I can't shake the feeling that her death is inevitable . Their entire journey was filled with Max stopping Chloe's death, her powers even showed up when she stopped Nathan from shooting Chloe. Also, in the alternate reality Chloe was destined to die.

We have to reach the beta world line and achieve a divergence number of ≥1%!

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got to the first choice. Fuck this game. Goddammit.

Goldone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I didn't see that ending coming and the way they were building up the Prescott family in this episode they have to be involved still.

I liked the overall story in this episode but it's the gameplay that bothered me a bit but that could be me over thinking it. Like when you have to go into Nathan's room while Chloe is on lookout, I rewound time back to before I used the fire extinguisher to break in because I feel like past episodes have taught you to do that so people don't suspect anything but it didn't matter because he still had to turn up.

The torture room or whatever also reminded me of the girl with the dragon tattoo books for some reason. But it also bugged me that you find this room and evidence and leave it all open to show you've clearly been there which is stupid when you consider what they're dealing with. Getting into the room was a pain too, when I saw that it was a 3 digit code to get in I remembered one of the clues from the board you make with Chloe to find the place. So trying to navigate the menu to get there and then having to go through every single thing you've gotten from that location, not to mention the locations aren't named on that screen was a mess when it didn't need to be.

I went through some of the text messages too and Warren had sent Max a message asking if it was her who blew up the door handle (I think anyway), but this is something you basically reset because you used it in the last episode to get into the room and then rewound time to before you did that and let Chloe in. I just feel it could be a bit more consistent with when you use these powers in these situations.

Also in the barn while looking around you can find a photo of Nathan's dad and Max says "I guess he likes selfies too". This really bugged me because in the photo he is sat on his desk with both hands resting on his knee, maybe I'm old but if you're not taking the picture yourself then it's just a photo and not a selfie, I'd also allow portrait at a push but either way it's not a selfie.

I am curious though, if anyone didn't save Kate in episode 2, what happens in this one when you visit her at the hospital?

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goldone said:

I am curious though, if anyone didn't save Kate in episode 2, what happens in this one when you visit her at the hospital?

That scene is entirely optional according to those who didn't save Kate. They go straight to Blackwell campus. No photo collectibles there to miss or alternative content (at least this is what I gather - Kate is very alive in my game).

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By artelinarose

HOLY SHIT THIS GAME YOU GUYS.

I just finished it so I'm having a lot of thoughts and I'm going to let them sit, but I'll throw this one out there: I'm pretty sure the body we find in the junkyard isn't Rachel Amber. The color of the shirt in the ground is the color of Nathan's shirt, and his jacket was left in the Dark Room. He is NEVER seen without his jacket in this series, ever, and he didn't show up to the Vortex Club party. Jefferson has his gun AND his phone(he's the one that texted Chloe, remember?). I think Jefferson has been manipulating Nathan's mental illness and possibly using it as a scapegoat to cover up his own tracks. Nathan is never shown to be a photographer of any sort iirc, just an unhinged boy but he has all of that expensive photography equipment in the bunker, and all of the shots are taken very expertly. Most likely by Jefferson, an award winning photographer.

I think they had a disagreement about attacking Victoria since Victoria is actually Nathan's best friend, hence the empty binder, and Jefferson killed him for it.

EDIT: actually, thinking about it now, I think Nathan rescued Kate which is just another reason he and Jefferson disagreed and Jefferson killed him.

ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: After you drop the paint on Victoria in episode 1 you get two choices: be mean or be nice. I chose to be mean. If you make that choice you take a picture of her and tell her to "go fuck her selfie". Pretty good at the time but it's probably going to come back to bite me in the butt because she wouldn't believe a word I said.

@artelinarose: I really like your theory. It makes Jefferson the sole villain, and makes a character we've all learned to hate a sympathetic one (something they're already doing in this episode with all the letters from Nathan's dad). Either way the Prescotts are still involved pretty heavily, since it's their barn the Dark Room is hidden in, and their money that paid for all the equipment. It still leaves questions about Rachel, however.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clairvoyantvibrations: I mean, Nathan is never really shown to be a truly violent person aside from his scuffle in the first episode, just someone with anger issues and a power complex. If you let Warren kick his ass in this episode he just curls up and starts apologizing, and even in the first episode when he shoots Chloe it was a complete accident.

Nathan is a creep and a dick, but he isn't a murderer.

ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artelinarose: Fair point. Maybe Nathan is just a patsy for Jefferson and his father? I'm not willing to write off the involvement of the Prescotts just yet.

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bezerker85

Just finished the episode. I'm definitely getting the vibe with the way Nathan's dad talked in the letters about training him for "what is to come" that the Prescott's are some kind of harbingers for the "apocalypse"

I really enjoyed this one, though I too was weary about it actually being Rachel, the one shot they show from the different angle, all you see is clothes. I'm also confused on how Jefferson got there so quick (If he had time powers too, would he been affected when Max does it in the classroom in ep 1?).

Chloe getting killed had no effect on me considering this is at least the 3rd time we've seen it depending on your choices. Chances are Max will just get the photo Warren took and use it to travel back.

The %'s at the end of the ep had me really curious with the 8% who Killed Frank. I tried about 3 different times and I couldn't get away from him leaving with either a bullet or knife to the knee. Definitely gonna have to youtube that one.

*Edit*

I see that the Frank death scene has to do with his dog being alive. I was one of those people that killed his dog in the last ep.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clairvoyantvibrations: Yeah, that's correct. I was nice to her. In that part in which she believes you, I think that is definitely a factor, perhaps the main factor in which she decides.

Avatar image for deactivated-62001d97f34e0
    deactivated-62001d97f34e0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This really was a fantastic episode, loved every minute of it. Some really big moments and decisions for this episode.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AcidBrandon18

One of the best episodes yet! I did have this episode glitch out on me a little bit during the Frank conversation. I'll post a video of it soon. It was kind of crazy as two things were happening at once.

Loading Video...
    TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TreeTrunk

@goldone said:

I liked the overall story in this episode but it's the gameplay that bothered me a bit but that could be me over thinking it. Like when you have to go into Nathan's room while Chloe is on lookout, I rewound time back to before I used the fire extinguisher to break in because I feel like past episodes have taught you to do that so people don't suspect anything but it didn't matter because he still had to turn up.

The torture room or whatever also reminded me of the girl with the dragon tattoo books for some reason. But it also bugged me that you find this room and evidence and leave it all open to show you've clearly been there which is stupid when you consider what they're dealing with. Getting into the room was a pain too, when I saw that it was a 3 digit code to get in I remembered one of the clues from the board you make with Chloe to find the place. So trying to navigate the menu to get there and then having to go through every single thing you've gotten from that location, not to mention the locations aren't named on that screen was a mess when it didn't need to be.

I went through some of the text messages too and Warren had sent Max a message asking if it was her who blew up the door handle (I think anyway), but this is something you basically reset because you used it in the last episode to get into the room and then rewound time to before you did that and let Chloe in. I just feel it could be a bit more consistent with when you use these powers in these situations.

Also in the barn while looking around you can find a photo of Nathan's dad and Max says "I guess he likes selfies too". This really bugged me because in the photo he is sat on his desk with both hands resting on his knee, maybe I'm old but if you're not taking the picture yourself then it's just a photo and not a selfie, I'd also allow portrait at a push but either way it's not a selfie.

Wow, I didn't even think to rewind time then, I should have. In my play through, Nathan texts Max later saying "you mess up my door I mess up your scholarship!"

I think in the beginning of Episode 1 when Max takes a spontaneous selfie, Jefferson explains that selfies have been popular for centuries and that before cameras people would need someone to paint them in order to get that self portrait, so I think Max has been taught to think that what she was looking at was still a selfie.

Also with the 3 digit code, I was trying just random combinations then Max said "hmm, some of those numbers are worn out". Then I realised the numbers 5, 4 and 2 look like they've been pressed a lot while the other numbers look pristine lol.

Edit: I JUST FOUND THIS ON THE STEAM FORUMS! I missed this in my play through but I'm sure you guys know when and where this is:

No Caption Provided

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#47  Edited By monkeyking1969

Okay first of all great episode.

But a few things unrealted to each other but ideas:

- Rachel maybe be dead, or it l be h grave is not Rachel at all...either way Max can save her. if not dead Max an Chloe can save her. And if she is dead she can be save ....tell you why later

- Stella. Yes Stella. I knew Jefferson was a shit, but Dontnod stopped making him seem so shiity in 2-3 so I stopped suspecting him of Rachel Amber stuff. What does that have to do with Stella? Well in ep 1 she is the one person who says "I KNOW Rachel slept with Jefferson." Wait how and why do you know this? Well, because she was a Jefferson spy, but she also seems in his pocket. SO my guess is she was helping. He has been getting girls from those parties, he needed help...Nathan(maybe), but Stella is my pick. We assumed all along Victoria was writing horrible shit about Rachel around school...but maybe it was Stella.

- All along Dontnod gives you optiosn to help or hurt people. They have given you a TON of chances with David Madsen (Step-douche). He fits into the last episode and my guess is that he will take a lot of convincing and the better you were to him the better. Also he will be needed at the end...you might just be able to patching up Chloe's relationship with him.

- The Warren picture is a Red Herring. Sorry, that is not the picture we shoudl all be thinking about.

- The picture that MATTERS is the one of Rachel Amber tied up and beaten. Chloe and Max find that picture in the dark room, and IT is very likely the last time Rachel was alive. My big guess is Max finds all the evidence she need by interrogating Jefferson and Sean Prescott, then she time travels back to save Rachel. This by coincidence will be when Chloe was drugged too. So Max goes back and she saves Chloe first and then they both save Rachel. Max with Rachel's evidence and Rachel herself can then go to the police. But, maybe when she goes back she needed help....who she gonna call DAVID MADSEN. Max and David save Chloe and Rachel...that saves people...and that patches thing up between David and Chloe.

- Max might die. Yup that is possible. I truely think Max will save Chloe and Rachel, but there might be a sacrifice. Time has shown it makes you choose from cruel choices. Max might die. The other possibility if I am right up above David Madsen dies saving Chloe. If THAT the choice save yourself or save David thus giving Joyce her husband and Chloe the father she needs? I don't believe this anymore. Fra more likely that teh choice will be that Chloe wants you to save Rachel in place or herself.

- I think much like William's death there is a mirror consequence going on. You could save William, but that means Chloe is crippled and desire suicide. I think this 'mirror' choice will play out again. Chloe chooses suicide in the alternative timeline, and she will again in this present timeline. Chloe's death will happen, Max is just kicking it down the timeline until it coincides with a way to save Rachel.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- The picture that MATTERS is the one of Rachel Amber tied up and beaten. Chloe and Max find that picture in the dark room, and IT is very likely the last time Rachel was alive. My big guess is Max finds all the evidence she need by interrogating Jefferson and Sean Prescott, then she time travels back to save Rachel. This by coincidence will be when Chloe was drugged too. So Max goes back and she saves Chloe first and then they both save Rachel. Max with Rachel's evidence and Rachel herself can then go to the police.

I'm guessing Max can only transport to pictures of herself.

ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: I was under the impression that that was true as well, since she doesn't get transported to the other time physically. It's more like Stiens;Gate, where the person's mind is transported back but not their physical body. I don't think we're going to be seeing Rachel Amber alive in this series.

@treetrunk:So does that confirm it's Rachel's body or is it a Red Herring? I wonder. Really sucks that it's going to take so long for Episode 5.

What are people's thoughts on the possibility that Jefferson can also influence time? It could explain how quickly he got from the party to the Junkyard. Since Chloe and Max left while he was giving his speech, it's unlikely he could have made it there before them conventionally.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By StarvingGamer

@clairvoyantvibrations said:

What are people's thoughts on the possibility that Jefferson can also influence time? It could explain how quickly he got from the party to the Junkyard. Since Chloe and Max left while he was giving his speech, it's unlikely he could have made it there before them conventionally.

He had already given his speech, hadn't he? IIRC it was Victoria on the mic at that point. He easily could have left the party and tailed them the entire way, and there's no indication that he arrived at the junkyard before Max and Chloe. To me, the way the scene was blocked with him approaching them from behind actually implies that he got there after they did. Nothing Jefferson has done suggests to me that he's also a time lord.

EDIT: Also no they haven't confirmed that it's Rachel's body, but the tone of the storytelling leads me to believe it anyways. The reason they're not showing her body isn't to pull one over on us, it's because showing us a decaying corpse simply doesn't fit with the tone they've established. Like if Kate commits suicide they show her falling but after that it's just reaction shots of Max. Not even a sound effect.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.