"Final Fantasy XIII-3" - Too much?

• 133 results
#101 Posted by Vrikk (901 posts) -

@Hailinel: The "20 hour intro" is because it's all linear and they so incredibly slowly introduce the entire party and gameplay mechanics that it's almost crawling. Heck, we don't get new armor and weapons in the first 10 hours! And again, sure some people may like it, and I know I'm getting flak because I'm thinking a XIII-3 is a bit insane to do.

#102 Posted by xyzygy (9991 posts) -

@Vrikk: Square hasn't created a "spikey haired anime" Final Fantasy in years. Their characterizations have grown beyond basic anime designs since like, Final Fantasy 8, when they went for a more mature approach. 9 is the exception because it's meant to be a complete throwback to the games of old.

#103 Posted by Peanut (954 posts) -

The last thing I remember about XIII is running down narrow paths and nothing ever happening EVER. I checked my save and have like 26 hours in. If an RPG can't hook me in that amount of time I know it probably never will. That being said, I still kinda wanna give XIII-2 a try because I heard they fixed a lot of that "3 hours of corridors" thing. On the topic of further continuation I guess if people like that universe why not give them more in it, right? It's not like they're forcing people who don't enjoy it to keep buying and playing the games. Although, it does seem like there are a ton FF fans out there who buy the games out of habit, simply so they can give SquareEnix no end of shit over how much they don't like it. 

#104 Posted by Hailinel (24798 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

@Hailinel: The "20 hour intro" is because it's all linear and they so incredibly slowly introduce the entire party and gameplay mechanics that it's almost crawling. Heck, we don't get new armor and weapons in the first 10 hours! And again, sure some people may like it, and I know I'm getting flak because I'm thinking a XIII-3 is a bit insane to do.

No, you're getting flak because your foisting your opinion on others as though it's objective fact. I personally found those first twenty hours entertaining, even when I wasn't allowed to access anything as simple as the equipment menu. And there's a very good reason for that. The game is designed in such a way that, until they open the menu to you, there is no need for the player to access it.

#105 Posted by Nottle (1914 posts) -

@Demoskinos: This was one of the things I always thought about when I defend FFXIII. The characters did develop, they had arcs, the only thing is they had to start off pretty unlikable to become the team the are by the end of the game. Also I'm just not the biggest fan of the cold soldier type. It's a personal thing. For example, I don't like Snake as much in MGS1 compared to in MGS2, or Big Boss in MGS3 because they are a little less bitter. I like Lightning, I just don't think she's the "best female character."

@Vrikk said:

Some day Square will find a way to stop making shitty games.

Why was FFXIII shitty? Or what games are you referring to?

#106 Posted by Vrikk (901 posts) -

@xyzygy: "Spikey hair anime" as in the character art is ridiculous. Lightning and Vanille has pink hair.

Oh, and Vanille is an entirely new point of why XIII grated on me, haha. Can anyone say that they enjoyed her (or her voice)?

#107 Edited by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@Vrikk: nobody in 13 really has spiky hair you know

edit; yeah I enjoyed her when Fang got introduced, they played off each other well and her voice really isn't THAT bad.

#108 Posted by Vrikk (901 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Vrikk said:

No, you're getting flak because your foisting your opinion on others as though it's objective fact. I personally found those first twenty hours entertaining, even when I wasn't allowed to access anything as simple as the equipment menu. And there's a very good reason for that. The game is designed in such a way that, until they open the menu to you, there is no need for the player to access it.

I think you are taking my opinion way too far. I have not said that people are dumb if they don't think like me. At the worst, I've said that their die hard fans refuse to think some of the games are bad when there are broken or weird game mechanics that make its enjoyability hard.

#109 Edited by AuthenticM (3732 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

@xyzygy: "Spikey hair anime" as in the character art is ridiculous. Lightning and Vanille has pink hair.

If hair color can grossly influence your opinion on a game to this degree, I don't think any of us should try to have any sort of serious dialogue with you.

@Vrikk said:

@xyzygy: Oh, and Vanille is an entirely new point of why XIII grated on me, haha. Can anyone say that they enjoyed her (or her voice)?

I did.

@Vrikk said:

@Hailinel said:

@Vrikk said:

I think you are taking my opinion way too far. I have not said that people are dumb if they don't think like me. At the worst, I've said that their die hard fans refuse to think some of the games are bad when there are broken or weird game mechanics that make its enjoyability hard.

You are still being presumptuous. You are saying that the game mechanics are objectively bad as if you had the last word on the matter. You don't.

#110 Posted by Vrikk (901 posts) -

@Nottle said:

Why was FFXIII shitty? Or what games are you referring to?

As I've stated, I thought it was boring. 20 hours of linear hall following with predictable story, while not even giving you customization or open world options, is NOT a good way to keep someone interested in a game when they already were disappointed in XII.

#111 Posted by Hailinel (24798 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

@Hailinel said:

@Vrikk said:

No, you're just insulting diehard fans that find enjoyment in games you don't like.

#112 Edited by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@Vrikk: the die hard fans are the ones that didn't really enjoy 13 though. Both 12 and 13 tried different things and some people liked them for it and some did not. I'd rather them try something new than do 6 or 7 again, myself.

#113 Posted by Vrikk (901 posts) -

@Hailinel: No, I'm not. I've not thrown any insults at you, or called you inferior. I've called the games inferior.

#114 Edited by xyzygy (9991 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

I actually think Lightning is one of the most well designed Final Fantasy characters ever created, next to Kain. If there is one thing I like from Nomura it's that he created Lightning.

#115 Posted by Vrikk (901 posts) -

@xyzygy: I agree. I liked Lightning. Her brooding personality was a bit predictable, but overall she was strong. Vanille was the annoying one I was mentioning :)

#116 Posted by AuthenticM (3732 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

@Hailinel: No, I'm not. I've not thrown any insults at you, or called you inferior. I've called the games inferior.

and then proceded to insult the people who liked said games.

#117 Posted by Demoskinos (14833 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Vrikk: the die hard fans are the ones that didn't really enjoy 13 though. Both 12 and 13 tried different things and some people liked them for it and some did not. I'd rather them try something new than do 6 or 7 again, myself.

Er....I don't think that is true in all cases. I've played every Final Fantasy game out there (excluding XII as I didn't have a PS2 at the time) and XIII still stands among my favorite in the series alongside VIII.

#118 Posted by Hailinel (24798 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@Vrikk said:

I actually think Lightning is one of the most well designed Final Fantasy characters ever created, next to Kain. If there is one thing I like from Nomura it's that he created Lightning.

Agreed. Lightning is one of my favorite characters in the series.

@Vrikk said:

And then proceeded to insult the people that like the games:

At this point, FF games are for the hardcore fans that just won't leave the series alone because they are convinced they are still good.

#119 Posted by Vrikk (901 posts) -

@AuthenticM: You are finding reasons to call me out as being mean because I don't like the game. I've not insulted you or anyone who has liked this game - as I said before, and I'll say it again, at most I think some of these series fans refuse to say a game is bad. Heck, I even said FF XIII-2 was ok. Even Square said they realized they had to fix some things about XIII! It's not like I'm voicing a negative opinion simply to rile up JRPG fans.

#120 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Animasta said:

Er....I don't think that is true in all cases. I've played every Final Fantasy game out there (excluding XII as I didn't have a PS2 at the time) and XIII still stands among my favorite in the series alongside VIII.

Not all cases, yes, but it's largely fairly true. They are way different games than FFX down. Even if you liked them both, you liked them for different reasons is what I was trying to say.

#121 Posted by EuanDewar (4923 posts) -

Hey you, peep these antics

Where the fuck is final fantasy x-3, that's what I'm wondering. Why not cash in on a sequel to the greatest sequel ever not to mention the best Japanese role playing video game ever

#122 Posted by Vrikk (901 posts) -

@Hailinel: If me saying that people are too light on some of the FF games is a way that I am bashing the fans, then I apologize. That was not the intent, and I still think you are taking my opinion too personally. I just want people to judge these games fairly, and not automatically boost them up simply because of the name on the box.

#123 Posted by Hailinel (24798 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

@Hailinel: If me saying that people are too light on some of the FF games is a way that I am bashing the fans, then I apologize. That was not the intent, and I still think you are taking my opinion too personally. I just want people to judge these games fairly, and not automatically boost them up simply because of the name on the box.

Then be critical of the games, not the people that enjoy them. You can do one without engaging in the other.

#124 Edited by Vrikk (901 posts) -

EDIT: Doesn't matter.

#125 Edited by AuthenticM (3732 posts) -

aaaaaannnd...

/thread

So, back on topic: no, I don't think XIII-3 is too much. I want them to close this trilogy in style.

#126 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1020 posts) -

@Vrikk: Oerba is Space Australia. I enjoyed it after I thought of that.

#127 Posted by Hunter5024 (5683 posts) -

So this event started today right? Anyone hear any news yet?

#128 Posted by Demoskinos (14833 posts) -

Nothing about this yet but they did announce a 25th anniversary collection that has every game in the franchise up to FFXIII and costs $400 USD. If I had $400 to blow I'd so be all over that.

#129 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3153 posts) -

I know people who got into XIII's universe but it just doesn't do anything for me.

#130 Posted by egg (1467 posts) -

I suspect this was planned from the start, that FF13 was meant to last the entire gen, and SE wasn't going to be deterred just because some people didn't like FF13. Plus from what I understand, 13-2 introduced many changes, so in theory it shouldn't be a problem unless you hate the universe and characters. But I haven't played FF13 or 13-2.

#131 Posted by Hailinel (24798 posts) -

@egg said:

I suspect this was planned from the start, that FF13 was meant to last the entire gen, and SE wasn't going to be deterred just because some people didn't like FF13. Plus from what I understand, 13-2 introduced many changes, so in theory it shouldn't be a problem unless you hate the universe and characters. But I haven't played FF13 or 13-2.

No, it wasn't. Square Enix had no plans to produce FFXIII-2 until after the criticisms of FFXIII came rolling in. They made the sequel purely as a means to correct the gameplay faults of the original and built the continuation of the story off of that for Lightning Returns. Final Fantasy XIII's ending is absolutely fine the way it is. It provides closure for all of the characters, and had to be torn open at the start of XIII-2 to even make the sequel's storyline a possibility.

#132 Edited by Animasta (14691 posts) -

It really didn't, because there was no explanation on how they survived the fall of cocoon.

Beyond magic I guess which is technically a satisfactory answer coming from FF but still

#133 Posted by korkesh (133 posts) -

I always felt like I have the opposite opinion of most people. I really enjoyed FF13, one of my top 5. So much so that I even platinumed the sucker which took me 100+ hours. I thought the story was good and ended strong. Now FF13-2 on the other hand I really didnt care for, the combat system I loved was still there, but I didnt really like the monster additions. Story Wise I thought it was atrocious and not interesting in the slightest, Noel quickly became my new most hated character in FF, next to Vaan from 12. I kinda hated how they retconned the ending on FF13 and ended on a continuation screen which kinda came out of nowhere without much justification.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.