Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 21, 2013

The final game in Lightning's story arc in the Final Fantasy XIII universe.

So, first impressions anyone?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#51  Edited By Hailinel

@dochaus: A "Turn off Hope" option should have been in every FFXIII game.

I'll never get that mindset. I mean, I understand why people hate him, but Hope was never a terrible character.

So here's a small problem I have with the game: Why is the actual in game timer in military time, but then some quest details are in standard? That kinda confused me at first. I eventually stopped being an idiot and realized this, but still. Pretty dumb and needless.

The game clock is probably a twenty-four hour clock because it's an easier visual indicator to distinguish between 5:00 and 17:00. But most people don't say seventeen o'clock in their day-to-day lives, which is why the characters speak in terms of AM and PM.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Alright, guys.  Now I'm ready to save the world.
    Alright, guys. Now I'm ready to save the world.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
    deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I just picked it up. Here's to liking another game that most people hate.

Edit: not in a hipster way.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: I know, I just think it would have been nice if the quest log itself told me stuff in military time if that's the way the in game timer is.....Oooor maybe I should stop being an idiot and actually learn how to quickly convert military time to standard time and vise versa in my head. :P

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

@dochaus: A "Turn off Hope" option should have been in every FFXIII game.

I'll never get that mindset. I mean, I understand why people hate him, but Hope was never a terrible character.

heh. Well, it was partially a play on words and an acknowledgement of how he can be annoying at times. Not always, but at times. ;)

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By bigjeffrey

some of these deliveries are some of the worst i've ever heard. The line where Lightning tells the Chocolina lady to be quiet, Holy shit.

Also i wish it did not look like a PS2 game.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
    deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

some of these deliveries are some of the worst i've ever heard. The line where Lightning tells the Chocolina lady to be quiet, Holy shit.

No Caption Provided

I'm knee deep into the second main plotline and Lightning just sounds fed up with everything.

Considering the second plotline is about Yusnaan and how everyone there just wants to party and tell the Savior to fuck off, I kind of can't blame her. She's putting up with everyone's shit and she's just going through the motions.

It's not exactly an endearing character trait, but I just like to think of Lightning as constantly hating this existence as last minute problem solver.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey said:

No Caption Provided

I'm knee deep into the second main plotline and Lightning just sounds fed up with everything.

Considering the second plotline is about Yusnaan and how everyone there just wants to party and tell the Savior to fuck off, I kind of can't blame her. She's putting up with everyone's shit and she's just going through the motions.

It's not exactly an endearing character trait, but I just like to think of Lightning as constantly hating this existence as last minute problem solver.

It kind of seems oddly appropriate with the game as a whole. Like everyone is just tired of this, and Lightning hates that she's still being bled dry to save the world(and provide us entertainment).

I suppose that's one of the nice reliefs of the game being so complete. FFXIII is finally over. You can rest now...

No Caption Provided

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle said:
    @bigjeffrey said:

No Caption Provided

It kind of seems oddly appropriate with the game as a whole. Like everyone is just tired of this, and Lightning hates that she's still being bled dry to save the world(and provide us entertainment).

I suppose that's one of the nice reliefs of the game being so complete. FFXIII is finally over. You can rest now...

No Caption Provided

It will never end .Lightning is FOREVER

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/14/lightnings-story-truly-may-guest-future-final-fantasy/

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By TruthTellah

@bigjeffrey said:

@truthtellah said:

@donchipotle said:
    @bigjeffrey said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/14/lightnings-story-truly-may-guest-future-final-fantasy/

Toriyama, you monster!

No Caption Provided

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@bigjeffrey said:

@truthtellah said:

@donchipotle said:
    @bigjeffrey said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Toriyama, you monster!

No Caption Provided

Is this any real surprise? I mean they already weaseled her into FF XIV and she is incredibly popular in Japan. I expect to see her around still as cameos in other games.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@truthtellah said:

@donchipotle said:
    @bigjeffrey said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Toriyama, you monster!

No Caption Provided

Is this any real surprise? I mean they already weaseled her into FF XIV and she is incredibly popular in Japan. I expect to see her around still as cameos in other games.

No Caption Provided

Well, at least her leading lady role is done...

... for now.

dun Dun DUN!

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By donchipotle

@demoskinos said:
    @truthtellah said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@truthtellah said:

@donchipotle said:
    @bigjeffrey said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Toriyama, you monster!

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

... for now.

dun Dun DUN!

Lightning will live on. If not in our hearts then in...uh...Dissidia 3 or something.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah said:
    @demoskinos said:
    @truthtellah said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@truthtellah said:

@donchipotle said:
    @bigjeffrey said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Toriyama, you monster!

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

... for now.

dun Dun DUN!

Lightning will live on. If not in our hearts then in...uh...Dissidia 3 or something.

It's over!

Open your eyes and face reality!

No Caption Provided
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Hailinel

@truthtellah: Yo, I know you find these gifs amusing (and they are) and you're not a big XIII fan, but can you maybe keep from pulling the thread completely off track?

Anyway, I finally had time to start deeper into the game tonight. I'm probably not using my time as well as I should; I've spent all of day two still in Luxerion, bumbling around on sidequests and looking for the code numbers. I've collected the key that I assume will let me fight Noel, but otherwise I should probably spend the next few days exploring the other regions and try to get more quests in general done so I can extend the time limit past the initial six day mark.

Also, that three star monster fight in the alley? Oh, fuck, I get stomped by that asshole. Effective guarding is something I'm still learning.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah: Yo, I know you find these gifs amusing (and they are) and you're not a big XIII fan, but can you maybe keep from pulling the thread completely off track?

Anyway, I finally had time to start deeper into the game tonight. I'm probably not using my time as well as I should; I've spent all of day two still in Luxerion, bumbling around on sidequests and looking for the code numbers. I've collected the key that I assume will let me fight Noel, but otherwise I should probably spend the next few days exploring the other regions and try to get more quests in general done so I can extend the time limit past the initial six day mark.

Also, that three star monster fight in the alley? Oh, fuck, I get stomped by that asshole. Effective guarding is something I'm still learning.

:(

Well, I wasn't a big fan of the original, but I did find FFXIII-2 interesting and Lightning Returns the most enjoyable. Just because I'm not as big of a fan of the series as you are doesn't mean I or anyone else can't have a little fun. I understand your interest in keeping things on track, but come on. No need to be a bit snippy. I already made my main point and only continued because others carried along with it. It's a silly game with certainly more fun than deathly seriousness, and I'd say a little levity helps this thread actually reflect people's total impressions.

Anyway, it sounds to me like you're doing alright. You're focusing on side quests and trying to practice guarding. As you said, effective guarding is going to be more and more important. And it gets crucial later on. So good luck with learning it! :)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Well, I wasn't a big fan of the original, but I did find FFXIII-2 interesting and Lightning Returns the most enjoyable. Just because I'm not as big of a fan of the series as you are doesn't mean I or anyone else can't have a little fun. I understand your interest in keeping things on track, but come on. No need to be a bit snippy. I already made my main point and only continued because others carried along with it. It's a silly game with certainly more fun than deathly seriousness, and I'd say a little levity helps this thread actually reflect people's total impressions.

Anyway, it sounds to me like you're doing alright. You're focusing on side quests and trying to practice guarding. As you said, effective guarding is going to be more and more important. And it gets crucial later on. So good luck with learning it! :)

Sorry. I'm not trying to be snippy. The thread just started going off in this weird direction that didn't seem particularly constructive, is all. Not trying to derail the fun, or anything.

But while the game does contain its silly elements and it's not deathly serious, there is a dramatic mood that the game evokes, and I really appreciate it for that.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

@hailinel said:

Sorry. I'm not trying to be snippy. The thread just started going off in this weird direction that didn't seem particularly constructive, is all. Not trying to derail the fun, or anything.

But while the game does contain its silly elements and it's not deathly serious, there is a dramatic mood that the game evokes, and I really appreciate it for that.

hmmm Well now you've got me thinking how we could make this thread more dramatic.

You and I should fight or something. Or I just talk in riddles while you sneer and call it nonsense.

heh. I'll try to keep more strictly to impressions. I genuinely look forward to seeing people's impressions here as more get further and eventually beat it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By musubi

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

@hailinel said:

hmmm Well now you've got me thinking how we could make this thread more dramatic.

You and I should fight or something. Or I just talk in riddles while you sneer and call it nonsense.

heh. I'll try to keep more strictly to impressions. I genuinely look forward to seeing people's impressions here as more get further and eventually beat it.

That's enough out of you.

No Caption Provided

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So does anyone know where to find Biggs and Wedge in the second town? I know they give you a quest for the Dragoon garb or something, but I haven't come across them.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By musubi

So does anyone know where to find Biggs and Wedge in the second town? I know they give you a quest for the Dragoon garb or something, but I haven't come across them.

"second town" is a pretty vague term seeing as you can approach the quests and areas in any manner you see fit.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, uh, in case anyone doesn't know this, you CAN fail side quests. Just as I was on my way to complete one, I got a quest update that said " yo you took too long goodbye ".....UGH. It's not my fucking fault the Warren is sealed off all day for some weird reason. As if I need to feel any more rushed than I already do. Very annoying. So yeah, complete those quests as quickly as possible!

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By shiro2809

@kishinfoulux: Wedge is the guy that let you gave the Sneaking-In Ticket too, you'll meet Biggs shortly after you finish Wedge's quest.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, uh, in case anyone doesn't know this, you CAN fail side quests. Just as I was on my way to complete one, I got a quest update that said " yo you took too long goodbye ".....UGH. It's not my fucking fault the Warren is sealed off all day for some weird reason. As if I need to feel any more rushed than I already do. Very annoying. So yeah, complete those quests as quickly as possible!

Time limits only apply to some sidequests. It is true that many of them are only accessible during certain times of day. A good example is an early one in Luxerion where a little girl lost her doll. It's possible to find its location at any time of day (the spot where it's hidden sparkles), but the doll can't actually be picked up, much less delivered, unless it's the time of day when the girl is out and about.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Yeah, it took me ages to find that. :P

The quest I failed involved a series of telephone calls, so if you happen across that one, do it as soon as you can or you might you fail it.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So uh, I'm kinda curious how everyone's playing the game. I have a hard time figuring out how I should proceed. Most of the time I feel I'm underpowered and I should probably not be there. For example, I primarily focused on finding number / getting to the cult the first day/night because they said the more I wait the more sacrifice will be made. I tried my hand at some side quest but stayed focused on the main quest most of the time. Anyway on the first night after finding the last number/going to the cult I went straight away to the main quest boss. Got my ass beaten a couple of time but after learning to perfect block a little better I succeeded... With 0 star because it took too long to beat it. (Like 10 minutes)

The problem seem to come from the fact I'm not staggering fast enough even when using enemy weakness (which to be mostly lightning at this point of the game). Are you guys waiting on all your schemata to be full or are you able to always attack the enemy non stop? Should I do more side quest in different area and focus less on main mission for a few days?

I'm also unable to accept escape as a viable solution and if I fail I'm normally just quitting to the title screen with select and load the game back.... Probably more a personal problem on this one though.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Well, I'm stuck at the first(?) Noel fight and I can't figure out how to not be. Up until that point I've been having some trouble with the game and how it works. I feel as if there's something I'm missing, as if I don't "get it". Which is a shame, because I really liked XIII and XIII-2. I'm not giving up though, I'll probably figure this weird game out eventually.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By kishinfoulux

@shiro2809 said:

@kishinfoulux: Wedge is the guy that let you gave the Sneaking-In Ticket too, you'll meet Biggs shortly after you finish Wedge's quest.

Yeah just found that out. Thanks.

@darklight said:

So uh, I'm kinda curious how everyone's playing the game. I have a hard time figuring out how I should proceed. Most of the time I feel I'm underpowered and I should probably not be there. For example, I primarily focused on finding number / getting to the cult the first day/night because they said the more I wait the more sacrifice will be made. I tried my hand at some side quest but stayed focused on the main quest most of the time. Anyway on the first night after finding the last number/going to the cult I went straight away to the main quest boss. Got my ass beaten a couple of time but after learning to perfect block a little better I succeeded... With 0 star because it took too long to beat it. (Like 10 minutes)

The problem seem to come from the fact I'm not staggering fast enough even when using enemy weakness (which to be mostly lightning at this point of the game). Are you guys waiting on all your schemata to be full or are you able to always attack the enemy non stop? Should I do more side quest in different area and focus less on main mission for a few days?

I'm also unable to accept escape as a viable solution and if I fail I'm normally just quitting to the title screen with select and load the game back.... Probably more a personal problem on this one though.

I remember being fine, but once I hit that graveyard area, after giving the passcode on the phone that the enemies there were rocking my shit constantly. Those demon dudes particularly were bothersome. I thought maybe I was underpowered, but I managed to finish that main quest anyways. Haven't had a difficulty spike like that thus far again.

Side note. Does anyone know anything about these Rare Forges? Do they only appear at certain times?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Hailinel

Oh, man. I really do wonde rhow well I'm using my time. I did get the first extension, but I wonder if I'm actually doing enough sidequests or not. It's really hard to judge. Good thing that there's a New Game + if I do fail.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Steadying

@hailinel: I got the side quest time extension last night after about 25 side quests. No idea if the Chocolina quests count towards that or not.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By musubi

@steadyingmeat: Canvas of Prayer stuff is simply for stat gains/money they do not give you any eridia for beating them.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished day three. I've extended my time to nine days and completed the Luxerion main quest. I really love this game! And the Spira Summoner costume is fantastic, from the overpowered magic to the FFX victory fanfare.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

I just finished day three. I've extended my time to nine days and completed the Luxerion main quest. I really love this game! And the Spira Summoner costume is fantastic, from the overpowered magic to the FFX victory fanfare.

I keep thinking about getting it...you're making it sound tempting.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 BisonHero  Online

Wait a minute. SQUARE ENIX DOESN'T OWN THAT IP.

OK, in my memory the outfits were much closer in colouring.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

Wait a minute. SQUARE ENIX DOESN'T OWN THAT IP.

ha. Well, with the color options, I bet you could get closer. You should give it a shot!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 BisonHero  Online

No Caption Provided

OK, phew, that wasn't just me. Watching the Quick Look, some of the trees and scenery in the Wildlands were kinda dreadful. Maybe the resolution/bitrate of the Quick Look was making things worse than they actually are.

We got some cookie-cutter Super Mario 64 trees for your viewing pleasure.
    We got some cookie-cutter Super Mario 64 trees for your viewing pleasure.

Maybe those trees look fine up close. I don't fucking know.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had my first session this saturday and I pretty much love it so far ,,,, also I got the Etros Servant garment becaused I think I got the FFXIII-2 Lighting Requiem of a godess (which I also beated in saturday .... hahahaha Bahamut was a pushover at level 4). I was a bit weary of the time mechanic but with the help of side quests and chronostacia , managing your time is ok. Playd around 7 hours I think ... braten the main quest for Luxerion and Im pretty much mopping up all the quest on it. So far so good... and damn it don I just love Lighting , she is my waifu damn it !!!!

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#90  Edited By Sessh

20 hours or so later I really don't know anymore.

I pretty much hate every character in the game, Hope, Dazh, Lightning (to a degree), every single sub quest character. The quality in dialog is just so fucking terrible (from the writing to mostly awful deliveries) and I even end up skipping most of it (something I never do in any game really), because I just can't take it. Pretty much every Lightning message I send goes: "Shut up already." or "Really?" and of course a huge "Yuck fou!!!" to the kid who talks like that in the Dead Dunes.

Also nothing makes any fucking sense. We have a week left to life. Hm, what to do? Oh I know, I will try to change myself, or open up a new restaurant, or learn to cook, or pretend to have died so my kid will grow up (!?) or something equally dumb and pointless.

Am I alone with thinking that the drop in quality from the first two games, who I really liked, is really immense?

The combat seems broken too against certain enemies. It's a breeze through normal enemies, and then suddenly you face off against Earth Eaters, or Chocobo Eaters (after the first battle) or Gaius (yes, he is a Boss, but still). Are you really supposed to just flee from battle, wasting precious time, just so you can design a whole new setup just for one stupid fight?

The only thing I enjoy is the main story, really.

I'm tempted to say that even FF X-2 was a better game.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh: How can you dislike Lightning? She's like Joe Buck, the most boring person imaginable.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh: How can you dislike Lightning? She's like Joe Buck, the most boring person imaginable.

Point taken. She still isn't the worst character in the game and I actually liked her in the first two games.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh said:

I pretty much hate every character in the game, Hope, Dazh, Lightning (to a degree), every single sub quest character. The quality in dialog is just so fucking terrible (from the writing to mostly awful deliveries) and I even end up skipping most of it (something I never do in any game really), because I just can't take it. Pretty much every Lightning message I send goes: "Shut up already." or "Really?" and of course a huge "Yuck fou!!!" to the kid who talks like that in the Dead Dunes.

Also nothing makes any fucking sense. We have a week left to life. Hm, what to do? Oh I know, I will try to change myself, or open up a new restaurant, or learn to cook, or pretend to have died so my kid will grow up (!?) or something equally dumb and pointless.

Am I alone with thinking that the drop in quality from the first two games, who I really liked, is really immense?

The combat seems broken too against certain enemies. It's a breeze through normal enemies, and then suddenly you face off against Earth Eaters, or Chocobo Eaters (after the first battle) or Gaius (yes, he is a Boss, but still). Are you really supposed to just flee from battle, wasting precious time, just so you can design a whole new setup just for one stupid fight?

Of course nothing makes sense. Everyone in the game has been alive for over five hundred years. I wouldn't be surprised if society just felt...off, at that point. Routines are ingrained, one day after another. No babies can be born, children remain children for all this time. With the world coming to an end, what could most of these people do, save for live their everyday lives as normal? There is the crowd of 24/7 party animals in Yusnaan, but the point is, everyone in this game has been suffering the quiet frustration of being unable to live the natural lives they were meant to have. It doeesn't surprise me if things seem off-kilter, because they are.

The same goes for Lightning and the other major characters. Lightning has had her emotions taken away by Bhunivelze. She's been rendered numb to the hundreds of years of frustration and despair that's piled on other characters. Before the fight with Noel, she says she doesn't even know what she is anymore. She doesn't have human emotion, she's been granted powers by a god. She's more or less become the Final Fantasy XIII equivalent to Lenneth in Valkyrie Profile, who had her memories sealed away by the gods so that she could be a good little worker bee and bring them lots of souls to serve as Einherjar at Ragnarok. It's bizarre, yet also tragic, in its own way.

And while I've had moments where the combat has certainly been difficult, nothing I've encountered thus far has been insurmountable. There have been times when I've come across enemies that were clearly too powerful for me to engage, but I've been saving frequently, and so when I do run up against a brick wall, I just reload from the title screen and either try again or go attend to something else.

Honestly, Lightning Retuns has been the most engaging RPG I've played in a good long while.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The boss fight with Caius without any EP seems flat out impossible.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Sessh

@hailinel said:

@sessh said:

Of course nothing makes sense. Everyone in the game has been alive for over five hundred years. I wouldn't be surprised if society just felt...off, at that point. Routines are ingrained, one day after another. No babies can be born, children remain children for all this time. With the world coming to an end, what could most of these people do, save for live their everyday lives as normal? There is the crowd of 24/7 party animals in Yusnaan, but the point is, everyone in this game has been suffering the quiet frustration of being unable to live the natural lives they were meant to have. It doeesn't surprise me if things seem off-kilter, because they are.

The same goes for Lightning and the other major characters. Lightning has had her emotions taken away by Bhunivelze. She's been rendered numb to the hundreds of years of frustration and despair that's piled on other characters. Before the fight with Noel, she says she doesn't even know what she is anymore. She doesn't have human emotion, she's been granted powers by a god. She's more or less become the Final Fantasy XIII equivalent to Lenneth in Valkyrie Profile, who had her memories sealed away by the gods so that she could be a good little worker bee and bring them lots of souls to serve as Einherjar at Ragnarok. It's bizarre, yet also tragic, in its own way.

And while I've had moments where the combat has certainly been difficult, nothing I've encountered thus far has been insurmountable. There have been times when I've come across enemies that were clearly too powerful for me to engage, but I've been saving frequently, and so when I do run up against a brick wall, I just reload from the title screen and either try again or go attend to something else.

Honestly, Lightning Retuns has been the most engaging RPG I've played in a good long while.

Well yes, that this a hopeless and dreary world is obvious and not surprising. And that forced immortality can be a curse (something I don't agree on, but that's besides the point) can be tough is also clear. But to be honest I just think that the world is painted in this way simply because of lazy writing.

If humanity knew that the world would in fact end in a few days everything would just completely explode (even with 500 years of preparing them for this inevitable moment). We'd have violence and uprisings and also a fair share of orgies and stuff. So it's obvious why the didn't choose to go that route, and rather just said, hey let's just take the easy way out and pretty much kill off all emotion in everyone, that way no one will really give a fuck. That's okay, but then please take it all the way, and not just make the game one pointless sidequest after the other. Because in this scenario no one should give a shit about their petty day to day problems anymore either. With hopelessness in and all around you, I don't think your first priority would be to open a new restaurant, and make it the best their is, because your dreams and aspirations should also be done already.

And yes, technically humanity just is numbed by now and didn't have everything taken like Lightning did, but it's all the same really. Also the children not aging anymore thing and retaining their "innocence" is just plain cruel, which granted, is because God is ignorant of human emotion in the first place.

Lightning, like I already said, still has her charms, but I don't think that it was really necessary to also kill all emotions in her. I know that her transformation is supposed to be her sacrifice for Serah and humanity as a whole, but couldn't her sacrifice also have been to just feel all the pain around her? I don't think she couldn't have taken it after all she already went through in the previous games.

In my opinion this whole game just had way more potential in it's setup and execution.

The combat is another thing, and yes it is enjoyable and you have the saving/retrying over and over option and of course the option to postpone fights, but the way the leveling is built, fighting enemies days later still might not make much of a difference. Which is what I dislike about it.

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted to love this game, and I certainly enjoy aspects of it (like the time mechanic and the idea behind the story and setup), but it just could have been so much more. (for me)

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#96  Edited By Dagbiker

@sessh

I agree FFX-2 was a better game, but i think that might be because, at least from my rose tinted glasses. It was REALLY dumb. I Didnt like the whole romance main plot, but then again it turned the whole damsel in distress thing on its head.

But every where you went every thing in the game was exaggerated, from the characturature design to the animations when the people talked or even the whole idea that she is now a pop singer.

I loved how dumb that game was.

On the otherhand, I too feel this game is uneven. For instance, it seems everyone knows its the end of time, and people cant die, nor age, but for some reason there are still restraunts, inns, and reasearchers. Why?

Why would you need to eat if you dont age, or cant die? Why would you need to stay at an inn if you cant die? What are you reasearching, its the end of the world. Why are half the quests about saving people when there are 13 days left to live, and every one seems to know that.

I also dont understand how everyone I walk or run past knows who I am and what part of the quest Im on. They are very helpful, dont get me wrong. I like the advice that the kid I triped over gave me about the numbers Im looking for. But how did he know im looking for them. Or was he just talking to his invisable friend?

Dont get me wrong, I like the game. Its fun. But I think every game they change the wrong thing. Instead of changing the game mechanics, or the visuals, They have never really changed the story.

For instance, Look at this...

Final Fantasy LR vs Final Fantasy 7

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh said:

@hailinel said:

@sessh said:

Well yes, that this a hopeless and dreary world is obvious and not surprising. And that forced immortality can be a curse (something I don't agree on, but that's besides the point) can be tough is also clear. But to be honest I just think that the world is painted in this way simply because of lazy writing.

If humanity knew that the world would in fact end in a few days everything would just completely explode (even with 500 years of preparing them for this inevitable moment). We'd have violence and uprisings and also a fair share of orgies and stuff. So it's obvious why the didn't choose to go that route, and rather just said, hey let's just take the easy way out and pretty much kill off all emotion in everyone, that way no one will really give a fuck. That's okay, but then please take it all the way, and not just make the game one pointless sidequest after the other. Because in this scenario no one should give a shit about their petty day to day problems anymore either.

And yes, technically humanity just is numbed by now and didn't have everything taken like Lightning did, but it's all the same really. Also the children not aging anymore thing and retaining their "innocence" is just plain cruel, which granted, is because God is ignorant of human emotion in the first place.

Lightning, like I already said, still has her charms, but I don't think that it was really necessary to also kill all emotions in her. I know that her transformation is supposed to be her sacrifice for Serah and humanity as a whole, but couldn't her sacrifice also have been to just feel all the pain around her? I don't think she couldn't have taken it after all she already went through in the previous games.

In my opinion this whole game just had way more potential in it's setup and execution.

The combat is another thing, and yes it is enjoyable and you have the saving/retrying over and over option and of course the option to postpone fights, but the way the leveling is built, fighting enemies days later still might not make much of a difference. Which is what I dislike about it.

Don't get my wrong, I really wanted to love this game, and I certainly enjoy aspects about it, but it just could have been so much more. (for me)

Uh, how would you know that? I've never been around for any apocalyptic events. To say that violence and orgies are guaranteed is a simplistic idea in itself. Likely to some degree? Perhaps, but not a guarantee.

And of course the situation the children are in is particularly cruel. The children are trapped in a hellish existence brought on by these events. But that's also part of the game's point of immortality being a curse.

As for her lack of emotions in the game, Lightning explains it herself. If she still had them, if she could feel the pain that others go through, with everything she's done, with all of the despair and malaise around her, it would make her a wreck. For Bhunivelze's plan to work, Lighting can't have that emotional connection; it would potentially overwhelm even her.

It's actually surprising what difference a day or two to build stats and a change of schemata can make. That three star monster fight in the Luxerion alleyway was stomping me hard on Day 1 and 2. Toward the end of Day 3, I cleaned its clock, though part of that may have had to do with the Summoner of Spira schemata I had equipped. Its superpowered all-elements-in-one magic attack is devastating.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagbiker said:

Why would you need to eat if you dont age, or cant die? Why would you need to stay at an inn if you cant die? What are you reasearching, its the end of the world. Why are half the quests about saving people when there are 13 days left to live, and every one seems to know that.

The immortality in Lightning Returns doesn't make the characters invincible. There are only two things it does:

1. You can't age or mature.
    2. You can't die of, well "old age."

Otherwise, humans are just as frail as they ever were. They need to eat and drink, or else they'll starve to death or dehydration. They can get sick and die of illness. They can be killed by violent actions.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@sessh said:

@hailinel said:

@sessh said:

If humanity knew that the world would in fact end in a few days everything would just completely explode (even with 500 years of preparing them for this inevitable moment). We'd have violence and uprisings and also a fair share of orgies and stuff. So it's obvious why the didn't choose to go that route, and rather just said, hey let's just take the easy way out and pretty much kill off all emotion in everyone, that way no one will really give a fuck. That's okay, but then please take it all the way, and not just make the game one pointless sidequest after the other. Because in this scenario no one should give a shit about their petty day to day problems anymore either.

Don't get my wrong, I really wanted to love this game, and I certainly enjoy aspects about it, but it just could have been so much more. (for me)

Uh, how would you know that? I've never been around for any apocalyptic events. To say that violence and orgies are guaranteed is a simplistic idea in itself. Likely to some degree? Perhaps, but not a guarantee.

And of course the situation the children are in is particularly cruel. The children are trapped in a hellish existence brought on by these events. But that's also part of the game's point of immortality being a curse.

As for her lack of emotions in the game, Lightning explains it herself. If she still had them, if she could feel the pain that others go through, with everything she's done, with all of the despair and malaise around her, it would make her a wreck. For Bhunivelze's plan to work, Lighting can't have that emotional connection; it would potentially overwhelm even her.

It's actually surprising what difference a day or two to build stats and a change of schemata can make. That three star monster fight in the Luxerion alleyway was stomping me hard on Day 1 and 2. Toward the end of Day 3, I cleaned its clock, though part of that may have had to do with the Summoner of Spira schemata I had equipped. Its superpowered all-elements-in-one magic attack is devastating.

Well of course I'm assuming something here, about a fictional futuristic event, but still that's just the way I picture humanity. If you just go and look at the way humans actually tend to react in the face of real catastrophe, which is panicking mostly and plundering, then it's a fair bet that that's what they'd also do in this fictional event. The orgy thing was just a joke.

I know, like I said, the aspect with the kids is one of the more well thought through things in the game in my opinion. With a god, who is not all knowing and not omnipotent, and also oblivious to real emotion.

Yes, if things were different for Lightning there could be potential for failure from Bhunivelze's point of view, but she could also be more effective in helping people with their problems if she still even understood what they where going through. It's a two-sided sword, that one.

But Lightning commenting on, what might have been, is kinda redundant because it's impossible to know if she felt the way she does now, before her emotions were taken away. Thinking of how willful she acted in previous games, I doubt it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@hailinel said:

@sessh said:

@hailinel said:

@sessh said:

Yah, if i lived for 500 years, sex would get kinda boring. I would probably be the gutar guy playing REM, or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.