Square-Enix announces a new entry into the Final Fantasy Series.

• 132 results
#101 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@SlightConfuse said:

So no news on versus , type 0 or 10 HD?

As far as I know Versus is still on track, There won't be a US release for Type-0 since the PSP is canned now, and I don't think there was an announcement for Final Fantasy X HD. But I do hope someone proves me wrong about Type-0 and Final Fantasy X HD.

#102 Edited by Vanek (381 posts) -

It does sound different, but I still don't care. I will not let myself be pulled in thinking it'll be a game I actually want to play. It never is anymore.

I'll possibly try a demo if they put one out, but other than that I'm not buying it until the price drops to £10 and I have absolutely nothing else to play. I have no faith in Square-Enix at all.

#103 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

I will probably buy this because hey, Lightning's pretty cool but it's about time they put an end to FF13.

#104 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

@Hailinel:

Sure.

#105 Posted by AuthenticM (3698 posts) -

@Dixavd: You can pretty much replace most of the things you've cited for the original Valkyrie Profile. Every action costing time, which was thrust you into the final battle without being ready, that's straight up Lenneth's story.

I am looking forward to the end result.

#106 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -
#107 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

What happened to one game only?

#108 Posted by Hailinel (23873 posts) -

@Hizang said:

What happened to one game only?

It's a little late to be asking that.

#109 Posted by AlexW00d (6182 posts) -

Fuck this noise, why can't they make a XII-2.

#110 Posted by AndrewB (7489 posts) -

Man, I just can't participate in video game conversations these days. So much... dumb? news. It's just that there was a time when I adored the Final Fantasy franchise even though I'd barely played any of it because I frequently didn't own the system the games were being released on. But I just liked the idea that a Final Fantasy game was a single story with no ties to the rest that was amazing. Every release was an event.

I blame X2.

#111 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

even if they did, the head guy for it left in the middle so it wouldn't be nearly as good

#112 Posted by natetodamax (19170 posts) -
@Hailinel

@Draxyle said:

I don't know what to think about this. I'm glad that this is finishing off the "series", but I'm still bitter that FFXIII didn't tie down its loose ends in the first place. Final Fantasies used to be final, complete stories, and now they seem to be going the Kingdom Hearts route of dragging out every universe to death.

It's definitely a symptom of the long system cycles though, SE absolutely needs something cheap and quick they can make to keep people busy until new hardware comes around. I can't fault them too much for that.

I just didn't like FFXIII and what it represented for Final Fantasy in general. I felt no desire to continue on in that universe. If these sequels are actually fun though, good on them I suppose. I admit to enjoying FFX-2, despite what it did to the narrative (and the original was enough of a complete story that it wasn't effected much by it).

Technically, FFXIII did tie up its loose ends. The game serves as a fine enough stand-alone story. It's just that the decision was made to create a second game that addressed the major criticisms of the first, and in the process, they created new loose ends that needed tying up.

That was my problem with it. They didn't need to create new loose ends out of nowhere. It wasn't necessary.
#113 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@Voxel: well it's nice that 13, whilst a bad game, was able to give birth to an actually good game in 13-2

#114 Posted by Dixavd (1305 posts) -

@pw2566ch said:

@SlightConfuse said:

So no news on versus , type 0 or 10 HD?

As far as I know Versus is still on track, There won't be a US release for Type-0 since the PSP is canned now, and I don't think there was an announcement for Final Fantasy X HD. But I do hope someone proves me wrong about Type-0 and Final Fantasy X HD.

Yeah, you're right. Gamespot put up a small article on FFX HD and Versus XIII yesterday. When asked about them, they replied with "no comment" to FFX HD but did say that Versus was still going well. It seems like they are trying to learn from their previous mistakes and not release information too early that could easily change (for instance, this new game is set to be released next year so they can be pretty certain that most of what they talk about will be finalised) but it seems like it could be a different story with Versus and they are likely questioning if they want to release X on the Vita anymore now.

As for Type-O I think the time has run out on that for them; I think they may eventually release it out here (possibly moving it to smart phones or releasing it as a downloadable title on PSN so PSP and PSV players can download it) but I don't think it is very likely.

@AlexW00d said:

Wasn't Revenant Wings a direct sequal to XII?

#115 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

I was extremely hyped until I read the doomsday clock thing. A time-limit? That's what made me stop playing Majora's Mask. I friggin' HATE time limits! Games shouldn't be limiting... ._. Oh dang, it sounds great otherwise but the time limit is a real put-off to me.

#116 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish

Why.

Why not?

Because it's hard to care about Final Fantasy when they keep using the same characters I don't like.

At least with the numerals I get the chance to set myself up for disappointment all over again, with this shit I just know I don't care before I even see a trailer.

That's not a good reason. If you don't like the characters, that's your problem. If you don't like Final Fantasy XIII in general, that's also your problem. A lot of people enjoyed both FFXIII and XIII-2 and have an interest in seeing another game. Those are the people that are interested in this game and they should be free to look forward to it without comments like yours and others in this thread trying to take a shit on the parade. Such comments add absolutely nothing to the discussion other than pointless hateful bullshit.

I don't care about other people.

#117 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -
@Dixavd shame I hear type 0 is the best game square has done in Years
#118 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@SlightConfuse said:

@Dixavd shame I hear type 0 is the best game square has done in Years

I've actually heard otherwise

#119 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

With competition like this no wonder Atlus are taking their sweet, sweet time with Persona 5.

#120 Posted by LiquidPrince (15842 posts) -

Awesome.

#121 Posted by AlexW00d (6182 posts) -

@Dixavd: I meant gameplay wise. I couldn't give a shit about the story in that game.

#122 Posted by Hunter5024 (5538 posts) -

I wish they had left everything totally fucked. That was a perfect ending. No sarcasm. Perfect. I'm kind of worried because it seems like this may be a one character game. Also doesn't sound very RPG yet. Oh well there's still plenty of time for them to relieve me of those worries. Though seriously, I don't care how this game ends, if they do any other game set in this universe after this game is out I'm gonna lose it. The sound of my groan will cause earthquakes.

#123 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1913 posts) -
@SlightConfuse
Of course she would. That's the 360 version.
#124 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

@SlightConfuse said:

I knew it would be sooner or later before this picture gets made. Haha!

#125 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

@AlexW00d said:

Wasn't Revenant Wings a direct sequal to XII?

Yeah it is. And not a very good sequel at that. They turned the game into an Auto-RTS like Heroes of Mana and Blue Dragon Plus.

#126 Posted by Hailinel (23873 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

I wish they had left everything totally fucked. That was a perfect ending. No sarcasm. Perfect. I'm kind of worried because it seems like this may be a one character game. Also doesn't sound very RPG yet. Oh well there's still plenty of time for them to relieve me of those worries. Though seriously, I don't care how this game ends, if they do any other game set in this universe after this game is out I'm gonna lose it. The sound of my groan will cause earthquakes.

It may very well be the case that this game isn't named Final Fantasy XIII-3 because it won't play like the previous games. They are very heavily emphasizing that this is Lightning's story. For all we know, this could be an action RPG or some other style of game rather than another iteration on the FFXIII combat system.

#127 Posted by Hunter5024 (5538 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Hunter5024 said:

It may very well be the case that this game isn't named Final Fantasy XIII-3 because it won't play like the previous games. They are very heavily emphasizing that this is Lightning's story. For all we know, this could be an action RPG or some other style of game rather than another iteration on the FFXIII combat system.

Actually the more I think about that, the more okay with it I am. I'd like for them to experiment a little more, and since this isn't really a main entry game it's probably the perfect place to do it. Still not entirely sure that the story will hold up with only Lightning though. She's cool, but not that cool.

#128 Posted by Omegus (30 posts) -

So like FF7 they are going to milk FFXIII for everything its worth.

#129 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@AuthenticM said:

@Animasta: I beat and platinumed XIII-2, and even at the ending, I still had a hard time grasping Caius' motives. His constant emo-ing about Yeul dying over and over again, voicing his melancholy through metaphysical mumbo-jumbo, made it hard to relate to the guy.

dude, look at the VAST HISTORY of final fantasy villains. barely any of them have anywhere close to a decent motive. and I dunno, wanting to protect someone from dying over and over and over again sounds like a pretty decent motive to me?

Pretty much. Ciaus was basically the champion of Etro the Goddess he had immense power and yet felt completely impotent to save the one thing he cared about. If you watch the extended ending after you get all the crystal shards you pretty much get to see that Ciaus was playing everyone from the start. He knew exactly what was going to happen and used Serah, Noel and Lightning to achieve his goals. The note that FFXII-2 ended on was FANTASTIC. Everyone is happy and seems like the world and time is saved and then shit just pops off and it ends on the most insanely grim note any final fantasy ever has. And while his motivations are rather selfish in the end theres enough human emotion that shines from him that on one hand you kind of can't blame him for what he does.

#130 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Brendan said:

At some point, an entire world hanging in the balance get's a little silly when it happens for the 3rd time in one lifetime.

Arnold Schwarzenegger must be pissed.

#131 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

Fang was the only character i liked in FF13, when she died i lost all interest in any of the sequels.

#132 Posted by Hunter5024 (5538 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Animasta said:

@AuthenticM said:

@Animasta: I beat and platinumed XIII-2, and even at the ending, I still had a hard time grasping Caius' motives. His constant emo-ing about Yeul dying over and over again, voicing his melancholy through metaphysical mumbo-jumbo, made it hard to relate to the guy.

dude, look at the VAST HISTORY of final fantasy villains. barely any of them have anywhere close to a decent motive. and I dunno, wanting to protect someone from dying over and over and over again sounds like a pretty decent motive to me?

Pretty much. Ciaus was basically the champion of Etro the Goddess he had immense power and yet felt completely impotent to save the one thing he cared about. If you watch the extended ending after you get all the crystal shards you pretty much get to see that Ciaus was playing everyone from the start. He knew exactly what was going to happen and used Serah, Noel and Lightning to achieve his goals. The note that FFXII-2 ended on was FANTASTIC. Everyone is happy and seems like the world and time is saved and then shit just pops off and it ends on the most insanely grim note any final fantasy ever has. And while his motivations are rather selfish in the end theres enough human emotion that shines from him that on one hand you kind of can't blame him for what he does.

And let's not forget that he probably has a very warped perspective about the value of human life growing up with only a handful of other people. To him it's pretty easy to justify saving someone if they represent one third of the world to you, no matter what the cost.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.