Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 21, 2013

The final game in Lightning's story arc in the Final Fantasy XIII universe.

They turned Lightning into a floppy DoA caricature

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Dallas_Raines

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/07/final-fantasy-is-dead

Her new skill is slowly bending over to pick up her car keys. Fitting for the stoic soldier.

It’s hard to pinpoint an exact time of death on this one, but at some point during the last decade the world’s foremost Japanese role-playing game series keeled over and kicked the bucket, and now Square Enix is pretty much just defiling the corpse. Here’s an excerpt from a question-and-answer session on July 27 with Nobuhiro Goto and Motomu Toriyama, developers of the next game in the series,

Q: Has [main character] Lightning gone from a C cup to a D cup?

Goto: Well, Toriyama-san said he wanted them bigger, so…

Toriyama: Hey, don’t try to escape responsibility for this!

Goto: Yes, we made them bigger.

Q. Was it a C cup, up until now? Are her breasts going to jiggle, this time?

Goto: Yes!

Toriyama: It depends on the clothing. Like if she’s wearing corrective underwear.

Dengeki Online’s report of the event noted further that since players can choose Lightning’s costume and weaponry, they can ensure their preferred amount and duration of boob jiggling through judicious equipment selection. If you want to get a better view of all those mammarial undulations, one developer noted, just have her hold a smaller shield!

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Loading Video...

That article reminds me of this. Dont get me wrong The entire XIII saga has sucked eggs but calling a series dead is kind of going to far. XV looks like it will bring the series back but Lighting returns just reminds me of X-2 and i dont want to be reminded about that.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By OllyOxenFree

And apparently her bust size changes depending on what costume she wears?

WHAT IS THIS BLACK MAGIK?!?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bigjeffrey

The breast size increases depending on which outfit your are wearing

OKAY where and when do i get this game?

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Interesting article on this, as much as I don't care too much for the FF franchise, I know many friends who are & I've always been curious on Japanese game development on how it changes to meet with the evolution of games from everywhere else on things like game mechanics, controls, etc.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I really dont get why people are making a big deal out of this. But whatever. I guess something to moan and bitch about right? Looking forward to this game just as I have the rest of the XII series.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is what you get for making all your heroes androgynous doppelgängers. You need dem D cups to tell the ladies apart.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really dont get why people are making a big deal out of this. But whatever. I guess something to moan and bitch about right? Looking forward to this game just as I have the rest of the XII series.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Nothing subjectively charged about this thread's title. Nope!

Calm the hell down.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's wait until Final Fantasy XV before we call this series dead, alright? I have personally not cared about the series since FFX, but I believe XV to be the series' last hope of finding some cultural relevance again. Sure, the hardcore fans will keep buying the games, but this has to be the last chance of really getting the gaming public interested in FF again.

The exchange from that interview is kinda pathetic though.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@demoskinos said:

Because there is absolutely no point to doing it, other than appealing to the perversions of the lead on the project (who said in an interview he request the change personally)? There isn't really a huge problem with changing the character design a little to fit better into new costumes, but why the hell does she need breast jiggle? What purpose does that serve that isn't entirely juvenile?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Fanboyism in Japan is a whole different thing. Is it wrong? Yea it probably is. Will I play this one even though I purchased and played the previous two? Probably not. I think its actually kind of funny but 10 years ago FF: X-2 came out and people were complaining about the same exact thing. I have to admit I'm one of the few folks out there who loved FF: X-2 and the mechanics that game had. It was one of the first Final Fantasy games that gave you some freedom on what order you were going to do quests. Also that concert scene was pretty awesome.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no! Everybody's favourite FF character Lightning is ruined now!

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By Sergio

In general, I don't have a problem with boobs in games, but it's sad that Final Fantasy is now having to resort to this.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

I am okay with this.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio: Not as sad as people flipping out over this.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://s16.postimg.org/8i8mcv83n/Untitled_1.gif

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They turned Lightning into a floppy DoA characiture

FINALLY

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Darji

@demoskinos said:

Because there is absolutely no point to doing it, other than appealing to the perversions of the lead on the project (who said in an interview he request the change personally)? There isn't really a huge problem with changing the character design a little to fit better into new costumes, but why the hell does she need breast jiggle? What purpose does that serve that isn't entirely juvenile?

Because now the tech allows it? Also it is not juvenile but its called fan service. Nothing wrong with that as well. Also Japanese D CUP does not equal western D cup so the change it not that big to begin with. It is like a new hair cut.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jeldh

goddamned breasts, I hate them so much, Now they are in video games too? JEEZ.

Edit: ugh, that interview is weird though.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

In general, I don't have a problem with boobs in games, but it's sad that Final Fantasy is now having to resort to this.

Exactly the same way I feel.

colorbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

Have you seen Rikku or FFX-2? Or Mithra in FFXI. This has been going on for years. And I'm okay with it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

Exactly the same way I feel.

They do this since 7 so basically since FF went 3D.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is useless. The people who would care about such a thing have already ditched the series for other countless reasons in the past. The people who remain interested for whatever reason will defend it until the end. This doesn't matter.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@wemibelec90 said:

@demoskinos said:

Because now the tech allows it? Also it is not juvenile but its called fan service. Nothing wrong with that as well. Also Japanese D CUP does not equal western D cup so the change it not that big to begin with. It is like a new hair cut.

She's supposed to be a stoic, badass soldier, now she's a barmaid bending in comically awkward positions so people can get a better look at her bouncy ass titties.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SuperWristBands

@darji said:

@wemibelec90 said:

@demoskinos said:

The tech allows it?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@wemibelec90 said:

@demoskinos said:

She's supposed to be a stoic, badass soldier, now she's a barmaid bending in comically awkward positions so people can get a better look at her bouncy ass titties.

So her character now changes because of bigger boobs and some outfits that are totally optional? Interesting but I guess you need at least something to push a agenda.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Given my love of X-2 and its shameless, fanservicey tone that borders on self-parody, does that mean that this game is up my alley despite having zero interest in XIII and very little interest in XIII-2?

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@dallas_raines said:

@darji said:

@wemibelec90 said:

@demoskinos said:

So her character now changes because of bigger boobs and some outfits that are totally optional? Interesting but I guess you need at least something to push a agenda.

No Caption Provided

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@wemibelec90 said:

@demoskinos said:

A new age is upon us. Bigger tits for everyone!

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I like to pretend that DoA doesn't exist. There, no more character ruining happening. :D

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dallas_raines: So you're judging personality based on cup size and outfit?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superwristbands: In a more realistic and a more open environment. RPGs are different from Fighting games with only 2 chars on the screen.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just some typical pandering to the fanservice obsessed Japanese otaku. It's been going on for a while. That said, it's not like the game has to be played with that costume it's just there for the people who love fanservice.

I think it's up there in the list of dumb shit for video games, but it's not like I was ever going to buy this trash anyways.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

(o )( o)'s

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Darji

@rollingzeppelin: DOA never had realistic boob jiggling. Maybe we should all wait to see how it looks in motion?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

No Caption Provided

Again totally optional just like the bikini costumes in many other JRPGs like a Tales of for example.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@superwristbands: In a more realistic and a more open environment. RPGs are different from Fighting games with only 2 chars on the screen.

Nothing has stopped developers from adding jiggle into any kind of game including open world games. That excuse makes no sense and you know it.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@darji said:

@wemibelec90 said:

@demoskinos said:

If they are anything like DoA breasts, they will be absolutely juvenile. Exaggerated breast movement meant to titillate is immature and pointless.

I'm not saying that her character change is wrong because she is more sexual. Sexuality is perfectly acceptable. If they have her bending over pointlessly or put the camera in angles designed to get panty shots or breast jiggle, it is obviously pandering.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd expect nothing less from Toriyama. That man likes what he likes and doesn't give a fuck what anyone else has to say.

Also, I don't understand why this is a big deal. This optional fanservice-y stuff is pretty standard for the genre. What makes this any more notable?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Darji

@superwristbands: Yes it does. For example it looks ridiculous if they do it like in a DOA game and secondly it still needs power to do that. You do not get jiggling for free and it makes no sense if the character is not very detailed as well. Again. Maybe it is now realistic and in all the videos I have seen you do not even notice it it. It is not like this will totally overdone.

Maybe we should just relax and calm down?^^

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jeldh

@hailinel said:

@dallas_raines: So you're judging personality based on cup size and outfit?

I would say that judging someone by their feminine look is rather judgemental and sexism. Yes, rather jugementail and sexsim indeed!

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@dallas_raines: I'm just curious if this is entirely based on that awful DLC you keep posting a screenshot of, or if they've actually done something significant to make Lightning a more shallow character.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mrfluke

we have reached a true new level of cynicism/stupidity if we are literally bitching about the look of 1 piece of equipment in a game

(like literally that outfit is just a piece of equipment that you pick up and equip, its not like its lightnings default or only attire)

some of you folks must be really miserable if one piece of equipment in a game gets you angry.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@rollingzeppelin: DOA never had realistic boob jiggling. Maybe we should all wait to see how it looks in motion?

I'm just saying that I'd rather not see that kind of objectification of women in games at all. Don't give a fuck about the game's boob physics, the whole thing is gross. Hence, in order to justify my enjoyment of videogames and not feel like a creepy bastard I pretend that DoA doesn't exist. Problem (sort of, but not really) solved!

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Darji

@darji said:

@wemibelec90 said:

@demoskinos said:

If they are anything like DoA breasts, they will be absolutely juvenile. Exaggerated breast movement meant to titillate is immature and pointless.

I'm not saying that her character change is wrong because she is more sexual. Sexuality is perfectly acceptable. If they have her bending over pointlessly or put the camera in angles designed to get panty shots or breast jiggle, it is obviously pandering.

That is the problem we have not seen it yet in motion. I am pretty sure it is not like DOA and that it will be very far from it. If it has realistic physics like boobs have why not? Again lets wait and see and if its like DOA which is not really noticeable int eh videos I have seen so far then we can still use the pitchforks and burn him alive^^

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You clearly don't get it. Final Fantasy XIII is the worst game ever made, and XIII-2 was an insult to even have been made after how insultingly terrible XIII was. And if I have to pretend like a little bit of awkward fanservice in a game I probably already wasn't going to play is the reason why everyone else should hate it too then so be it.

In all seriousness though, It's a real fucking shame that the verdict seems to have come down on the Final Fantasy series a while ago. People just can't judge a game by its' individual merits anymore it doesn't seem. They have to fit it in some broader social context. I just wish people would would take more time to form their own context for games and second guess their gut reactions occasionally.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

This is why we can't have nice things like a sexual elegant character rather than a character with sex appeal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.