Between a rock and a hard place

Posted by Sweep (8976 posts) -

sometimes I worry about the state of commercial videogames.

We are currently positioned upon an ongoing escalation of graphical prowess, huge budget productions which become increasingly flamboyant with each iteration. Halo, Starcraft, Call Of Duty, Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto, Gears Of War - great games, no doubt, but all victims of their own success. You end up like the Modern Warfare games where the sequel simply needs to be bigger, more explosive, more expansive - it's not enough to have one nuke, you need several - to the extent that any failure to capitalise upon the action sequences is considered a missed opportunity. Sometimes things move so blindingly fast that the experience loses all meaning and just becomes one ongoing abstract military blur.

To have this mindset so satisfyingly undermined by such a superb game as Limbo is a real credit to the entire industry. Videogames don't get more classic than the traditional 2D platformer, and to discover a game that can still make such an engagingly fresh platforming experience is really uplifting. Limbo may be sombre in tone, but my progression as a player is one of continual bedazzlement. This game succeeds in surpassing all my expectations continually without growing stale, contrived or tedious. The integration of the sobering art style as not only a thematic device but integrated into the puzzles of the game cannot be overhyped for it's ingenuity. The people who made this game are fucking smart.  

In fact I want to give massive love to every apparently trivial videogame objective. You don't need to save the presidents daughter or save the world to create a good game. I understand the need to create that "Woah, awesome!" moment, but seriously. Calm down. It's 2010, nobody is impressed by your ability to create cool looking explosions.

At a time of future uncertainty it's comforting to know that at the very least our foundations remain solid.

Sometimes you just need to keep things simple.  

Fuck, I haven't done an edition of Keeping It Simple for a while. I used to do one every friday. Fuck, I used to look forward to doing one every friday. That is a habit I need to resurrect. Stay tuned! 

IN OTHER NEWS 

• I bought Aion in a steam sale and finally got round to trying it out. It's a pretty game, though it feels a little loose. More often than not I find myself closely comparing it to World Of Warcraft and often wishing it could be more similar. I then realised that if that's what I wanted I should just bite the bullet and start playing WoW again. I was hoping to hold out until Cataclysm but I might have to jump the gun... 

• My friend gave me a gift pass for starcraft 2 but my internet ain't so great at the moment so I'm probably going to have to wait a while before I can actually download it. I really want to try it out, however my main beef with the game is the lack of international multiplayer. Considering a load of my game-playing friends reside in the US that's kind of a deal-breaker for me. I know they said they might patch it in so I guess we will just have to wait and see. 

Thanks For Reading 
Love Sweep
#1 Posted by Sweep (8976 posts) -

sometimes I worry about the state of commercial videogames.

We are currently positioned upon an ongoing escalation of graphical prowess, huge budget productions which become increasingly flamboyant with each iteration. Halo, Starcraft, Call Of Duty, Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto, Gears Of War - great games, no doubt, but all victims of their own success. You end up like the Modern Warfare games where the sequel simply needs to be bigger, more explosive, more expansive - it's not enough to have one nuke, you need several - to the extent that any failure to capitalise upon the action sequences is considered a missed opportunity. Sometimes things move so blindingly fast that the experience loses all meaning and just becomes one ongoing abstract military blur.

To have this mindset so satisfyingly undermined by such a superb game as Limbo is a real credit to the entire industry. Videogames don't get more classic than the traditional 2D platformer, and to discover a game that can still make such an engagingly fresh platforming experience is really uplifting. Limbo may be sombre in tone, but my progression as a player is one of continual bedazzlement. This game succeeds in surpassing all my expectations continually without growing stale, contrived or tedious. The integration of the sobering art style as not only a thematic device but integrated into the puzzles of the game cannot be overhyped for it's ingenuity. The people who made this game are fucking smart.  

In fact I want to give massive love to every apparently trivial videogame objective. You don't need to save the presidents daughter or save the world to create a good game. I understand the need to create that "Woah, awesome!" moment, but seriously. Calm down. It's 2010, nobody is impressed by your ability to create cool looking explosions.

At a time of future uncertainty it's comforting to know that at the very least our foundations remain solid.

Sometimes you just need to keep things simple.  

Fuck, I haven't done an edition of Keeping It Simple for a while. I used to do one every friday. Fuck, I used to look forward to doing one every friday. That is a habit I need to resurrect. Stay tuned! 

IN OTHER NEWS 

• I bought Aion in a steam sale and finally got round to trying it out. It's a pretty game, though it feels a little loose. More often than not I find myself closely comparing it to World Of Warcraft and often wishing it could be more similar. I then realised that if that's what I wanted I should just bite the bullet and start playing WoW again. I was hoping to hold out until Cataclysm but I might have to jump the gun... 

• My friend gave me a gift pass for starcraft 2 but my internet ain't so great at the moment so I'm probably going to have to wait a while before I can actually download it. I really want to try it out, however my main beef with the game is the lack of international multiplayer. Considering a load of my game-playing friends reside in the US that's kind of a deal-breaker for me. I know they said they might patch it in so I guess we will just have to wait and see. 

Thanks For Reading 
Love Sweep
#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Personally, I find it worse to be stuck between a rock and a hard-on. I need to find a way to use that analogy :P.

#3 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Seeing you in those pictures has totally broken my image of a talking hamburger. 

And it's fucking with my head.  

#4 Posted by Virago (2487 posts) -

Rowr just downloaded Limbo, and it's pretty sweet =D
The only other thing I have to say, and it's non-blog-related, is: WOW!? REALLY SWEEP!??!? *face palm*

<3 V

#5 Posted by Sweep (8976 posts) -
@Virago said:
" The only other thing I have to say, and it's non-blog-related, is: WOW!? REALLY SWEEP!??!? *face palm*  <3 V "
I'm borrrrrrred :( 
#6 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6395 posts) -

Sweep, while I agree with most of your sentiments, I've gotta disagree with one thing.  

I'm still impressed with big, pretty explosions.  KABOOM!  KAPLOWIE! 

#7 Posted by bonbolapti (1626 posts) -

About Limbo, I'm a huge fan of Vintage things, and Limbo definately has that aesthetic (I think I'm using that word right) of the old black and white films to it. I'just played the demo last night, but I've been hooked on it's atmosphere. 

#8 Posted by Red12b (9085 posts) -

game a fucking smart.      

ohh, wrong sentence to have a typo... 

Limbo looks amazing, 
#9 Edited by Red12b (9085 posts) -

Yeah, it does seem really weird that in this day and age of globalisation and the fact that people like to face off with other people regardless of where they reside, putting an international block is really quite confusing and I don't know why a company would want to do that in the first place,  

Also, looking forward to keeping it simple,  

@fwylo said:

" Seeing you in those pictures has totally broken my image of a talking hamburger.  And it's fucking with my head.   "

wait till you find out i'm actually a talking car, trust me, mind = paste oozing out your ears. 

I've seen it happen. it ain't pretty. 
#10 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

LIMBO looks really great and all with its sublime art style, but for me that isn't enough to instantly reel me in. It's a game that every gamer should play through eventually, though I'm more on the side of waiting around abit till I have some cash I wanna burn.

#11 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I'm neither pro nor con when I comes to big explosions. I have fallen back on old habits, got my golf game, platformer, third person sand box action game and some RPGs when in the mood. I need to branch out a little more.

#12 Posted by dogbox (464 posts) -

I really, really do not like Limbo. I just don't see what's so great about it. The game is good, no doubt. But I don't feel like it's a masterpiece, not by a long shot. I have the feeling I'll be one of the only ones on GB with it absent from my GOTY list come December. Starcraft II is a far superior game, and I don't think it's particularly overblown - it's just a re-balancing of one of the (of course, in my opinion) finest games to ever be released. There's definitely room for indie games, and I appreciate that Limbo doesn't use filler in its gameplay. I'm just getting a little tired of "here's a new indie game where you solve mind/time-bending puzzles with a melancholy tone."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.