Finished Limbo (my thoughts)

Posted by ZeroKelvin (53 posts) -

So, I just finished Limbo, and I have to say I have mixed feelings.  Probably nothing revelatory coming in my post, which is why I'm not considering a full review. 

The game has a mixture of crate-pushing and timed-jump puzzles that are common on platformers, and also serves to remind me why I don't like many platformers either.  The puzzles do range in difficulty, insofar as some require many more steps to complete than others.  This is fine, but my big gripe is that there a few insanely frustrating puzzles.  I'm sure that now I've solved them, I could probably practice up and get the 5-or-less deaths achievement, but I'm not sure that I want to.  Odd that I'm one step away from an S-Rank, and yet I don't particularly care. 

Having recently played Puzzle Quest 2, DeathSpank, and RISK: Factions, I have to say that I'm disappointed in this game from a cost/time perspective.  Compared to a night out on the town, or dinner and a movie, the cost is fine.  But when compared to these other games, Limbo falls short.  $10 would be better, less would be awesome. 

Add in the lack of a compelling story, and I wish I had simply watched a few videos posted on the site rather than bought the game personally. 

Ho-hum. 

-ZK

#1 Posted by ZeroKelvin (53 posts) -

So, I just finished Limbo, and I have to say I have mixed feelings.  Probably nothing revelatory coming in my post, which is why I'm not considering a full review. 

The game has a mixture of crate-pushing and timed-jump puzzles that are common on platformers, and also serves to remind me why I don't like many platformers either.  The puzzles do range in difficulty, insofar as some require many more steps to complete than others.  This is fine, but my big gripe is that there a few insanely frustrating puzzles.  I'm sure that now I've solved them, I could probably practice up and get the 5-or-less deaths achievement, but I'm not sure that I want to.  Odd that I'm one step away from an S-Rank, and yet I don't particularly care. 

Having recently played Puzzle Quest 2, DeathSpank, and RISK: Factions, I have to say that I'm disappointed in this game from a cost/time perspective.  Compared to a night out on the town, or dinner and a movie, the cost is fine.  But when compared to these other games, Limbo falls short.  $10 would be better, less would be awesome. 

Add in the lack of a compelling story, and I wish I had simply watched a few videos posted on the site rather than bought the game personally. 

Ho-hum. 

-ZK

#2 Posted by Baillie (4163 posts) -
@ZeroKelvin: Can I just point out that the game is extremely easy when you know what you're doing? I can complete the game without dying easily. Try it, just try to think ahead. :) 

Also, try finding all 21 eggs by yourself! It's pretty fun and rewarding.
#3 Posted by SoundShower (9 posts) -

I feel almost exactly as you do.  It's always nice to see some sober opinions about Limbo and just not the same "It's art!" overall the Internet.

I bought Toy Soldiers (much better than I thought it was gonna be) one week before Limbo was released. Then I bought Limbo at the release, and it took two sittings, two days to complete. Today, at august the third, I'm still playing Toy Soldiers. Just an example of the crappy worth/length Limbo has.

#4 Posted by Dimpley (126 posts) -

Agreed. Don't get me wrong its a throughly good platformer with some puzzles to rack the brain. But the fact that everyone seems to be blowing up over it just boggles my mind. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.