Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Limbo

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jul 21, 2010

A young boy seeks to rescue his lost sister from the dreary, dangerous world of Limbo in this monochrome puzzle-platformer.

HOTEL and huge spider legs (spoilers)

durden77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By durden77

These two things stuck out to me as the strangest parts of this game, yet I haven't really heard anyone really talk that much in depth about them.

Why HOTEL? Does anyone think there's any meaning behind it? It so strange... especially when you come back to it later and the letters are huge and messed up. I've heard theroies that this game is this boys life presented to him through limbo, and it makes me think something significant happened to him at a hotel, something bad.

A little while after encountering the hotel sign after the first time, a mind slug takes control of you and makes you go very deep and to the right (past the elevator you must pull the bottom of the platform of to solve a puzzle). While your down there, it looks like your surrounded by gargantuan spider legs. It wigged me out so bad at first, thinking I was going into a huge spider liar. But they never move or anything. I haven't heard anyone talk about this. Maybe this, combined with the factory, is to show that the spiders were created with this boys fear?    

EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By EliasT

Durden my man! I thought you left GB, I love your let's plays, your new Viewtiful Joe LP is funny as hell. 

Anyways, Limbo is very abstract, you should make of it whatever you like, it's pretty hard to find a definitive answer for what that game is trying to say.

Greyhound85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Greyhound85

there is definatly a silent story to most of the things is the game, and I'm pretty sure that the creators did that for that purpose. The biggest (probebly most notable) is at the beginning when he wakes up...he is walking away from an extreamly bright light, and I take it as he had just died. Toward the very end he hits wat looks like water, but it breaks into shards like glass...maybe a window or car accident...and goes flying into the ground tumbling around. You can tell that he and his sister are dead too by the fact that after you find her (end of the game) and after the credits roll...the background is the same location with flys hovering over some corpses exactly where they were standing last. I also noticed the hotel comes in very clear where other parts seem to be out of focus...maybe meaning they were not signifigant points in his life. As for the spiders, it's a common fear to be afraid of them so I would definatly agree that he is making up his fears. All of this is interpritation though and I think thats why they enjoyed making it as so...(the real place) Limbo has never been definitivly told what happens there, it's all speculation and word of mouth experiances. So just like people believe in a differant heaven & hell...limbo is what you determan it is.
    Kaburorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Kaburorne

I thought it was very interesting that this Hotel sign was the only text or words in the whole game.

Jadugarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jadugarr

Personally, I found that the first half of the narrative made no sense with the second half. 

The world was starting to evolve, technology was becoming more advanced, and you even discovered a race of people that had their subtle history being revealed to you--and then you played around with some gears and gravity till you found your sister. 
    :\

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By emkeighcameron

Lying spiders are the WORST kind of spiders, in my experience.

durden77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By durden77
    @EliasT: Haha thanks man.  Nah I've loved this site since it launched, I just haven't started actively posting on it's forums until recently. 

And I that's why I posted this thread, I love all the different interpretations that can be gathered from this game. 

@Kaburorne: That's true, I didn't realize that. 

Also, has anyone noticed how many tires are in this game? It adds more substance to the car accident idea.    
    Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MancombSeepgood
    @durden77 said:
    "  Also, has anyone noticed how many tires are in this game? It adds more substance to the car accident idea.     "
    Aha! It does, too. I hadn't connected those dots but it certainly makes sense.
    Ashby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ashby

I like the car accident idea, especially thinking about the tires. They threw me off a little, like, WTF are tires doing here?

A part that really stood out to me as some sort of symbolism was when you're underground, after first catching glimpses of the weird tribe people, and then a loud, horn-like noise sounds, you're standing in a pool of light and a dead tribe member is hanging with his arms out, pointing straight at you. (If this isn't ringing a bell, after you jump over the pool of water, there are three tribe members with blowguns that you need to escape from at this point.)

Gave me the willies, and he has a similar pose to the boy at the very end as he is slow-motion crashing through the "glass".

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By niamahai

i dunno 'bout you guys but I thought Limbo was "The Adventures of Young Nathan Drake" coz of the the lil' kid's hair silhouette.

Greyhound85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Greyhound85
    @Ashby: 

ya man..there a million ways to interperate it....like you could say, the young boy got a call when he was at the hotel about his sister death by the treehouse (cause she's always seen there) he raced over in his car from the hotel, got in an accident went flying into the forest. And his mind is piecing the rest from memories,fears,ect........who knows, that's the beauty of it..you don't really know, but it's left open to interpretation. Alan Wake is kinda like that too in it's own way, Along with that AWESOME movie Inception : P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.