Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Limbo

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jul 21, 2010

A young boy seeks to rescue his lost sister from the dreary, dangerous world of Limbo in this monochrome puzzle-platformer.

If I didn't like Braid would I like this?

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Deathawk

So I was thinking this game looks pretty cool and everybody seems to of given this game rave reviews but I dunno. I also remember people saying the same things about Braid and I found the obtuse puzzles more troublesome than fun. Really my question is if I didn't like the puzzles in Braid would I like this? I read Brad's review and he mentioned that some of the later puzzles aproach Braid like complexity so that kind of makes me a bit iffy, especially considering this is a $15 investment.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I generally disliked Braid and although I have some problems with Limbo, I'm enjoying it.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By LordXavierBritish

This game is nothing like Braid.

Braid was good.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mikeeegeee

Braid's puzzles are all rooted in time travel, Limbo's puzzles are mostly rooted in physics. Where they share the same genre, their mechanics, themes, and art direction differ tremendously.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By DarthOrange

I don't know what braid is but Limbo is pretty good, although I don't think it is worth the $15. I picked it up on sale didn't really like how the last half puts the emphasis on timing.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

@LordXavierBritish said:

Braid was good.

And so is Limbo.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mosespippy

I've never played Braid but isn't it rather complex mechanically speaking? Like, aren't there different ways to alter time in that game? In Limbo there are 2 actions; jump and grab. That alone makes the puzzles easier to comprehend because there are so few options available to you. I didn't find the later puzzles challenging because they were perplexing but rather because they were timing based.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By fox01313

Depends, best thing to do is go after the demo to find out for sure unless you want to do what I did with a few games on XBLA & just buy them before playing (as they sounded interesting yet I found I wasn't having that much fun playing them).

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By EarlessShrimp

At first, I thought the thread was titled "if I didn't like Brad would I like this game." My bad.

Anywho, for my own experience, I did enjoy braid a fair amount, I found limbo to be a bit of a different artistic experience as well as the physics-based gameplay. But, it depends on what stylies your into I suppose...

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rolanthas

The first half is like a cinematic platformer in the vein of Another World or Heart of Darkness. This part is very well put, with some clever physic puzzles thrown in between dynamic platforming events and haunting imagery.

The latter half is just a sequence of physic puzzles. It bores beyond human reasoning after the engaging start, and most of them are without any trace of context.

So no, I don't think you'll like the game. Maybe the presentation can carry you through the first hour or so, but you'll probably lose interest after that point.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I dislike Braid. I love Limbo. Does this help?

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kpaadet

I didnt like Braid either, but thought Limbo was worth a playthrough. Its not a very long game so see if you can get it for cheap.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By zaccheus

What the hell is going on here? Did @rolanthas: just answer a 5 month old question and now everyone wants in? OK, I love both and if you don't you are wrong.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Freshbandito

@rolanthas: I think the guy may have made his mind up a couple months ago...

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Kierkegaard

@rolanthas said:

The first half is like a cinematic platformer in the vein of Another World or Heart of Darkness. This part is very well put, with some clever physic puzzles thrown in between dynamic platforming events and haunting imagery.

The latter half is just a sequence of physic puzzles. It bores beyond human reasoning after the engaging start, and most of them are without any trace of context.

So no, I don't think you'll like the game. Maybe the presentation can carry you through the first hour or so, but you'll probably lose interest after that point.

Good description. I've been stuck on a factory puzzle with an elevator and a box and a see saw for a few months now. Not sure if I care enough to look up a walkthrough.

Echofoxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Echofoxz

What the heck? How do you even find a 5 month old thread anyways?

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By mscupcakes

@Echofoxz: It would have been on the first page of the Limbo subforum so it's not that crazy that he found it.

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rolanthas

Sorry all, it seems necromantic arts got the best of me. I shall go and practice my mastery over corpses a bit more.

On the other side, why is responding to long gone threads a taboo exactly? I think I was sick on that class of interwebz ethics.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NekuCTR

I'm not opposed to walls of text in my video games, but I much prefer the environmental storytelling of LIMBO.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

@Deathawk: I think I had to look a walkthrough for one of Limbo's puzzles. I used guide through all of Braid. The only real problem I ran into with Limbo's puzzles was not seeing something in the background due to the visual style.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.