Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Limbo

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jul 21, 2010

A young boy seeks to rescue his lost sister from the dreary, dangerous world of Limbo in this monochrome puzzle-platformer.

In my opinion, Limbo is not worth 1200 microsoft points.

• 92 results
    DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DriveupLife

I was itching for something new to play. Limbo came out, so I bought it. Very disappointed with what I got. No more than 3 1/2 hours of gameplay, and no re playability. Don't mention the eggs, that's not re playability to me. Sorry artsy people, discussing the ambiguous and lame ending to a game does not add to its value or make it worth a purchase. As for the rest of the summer line up, I'm only getting Castlevania. I'm sure other people feel this way, so don't start flaming me. Or do, since it's a free country.

junkrebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By junkrebel

I'm sorry you feel that way but I definitely feel like I got my moneys worth out of it. It was very short, but I think the unique experience the game presented made it worth every penny. However, there are clearly better ways to spend 1200 Microsoft points if you really want longevity.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By phantomzxro

I will say that i still think it is a great game but yeah i agree that it is not worth 15 bucks. I feel it would have been perfect to start off the summer arcade with this game at 10 bucks and it would have got everyone buying it. I find it hard to believe most of the games in summer of arcade are worth 15 bucks. Maybe monday night combat and lora coft but i think it has more to do with 15 bucks turning into the new base price for downloadable games.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By sixghost
    @phantomzxro said:
    " I will say that i still think it is a great game but yeah i agree that it is not worth 15 bucks. I feel it would have been perfect to start off the summer arcade with this game at 10 bucks and it would have got everyone buying it. I find it hard to believe most of the games in summer of arcade are worth 15 bucks. Maybe monday night combat and lora coft but i think it has more to do with 15 bucks turning into the new base price for downloadable games. "
    Well you say it's 3.5 hours for $15. Would you feel ripped off if you bought a regular $60 game that was 14 hours long and great?
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

Look, someone who measures game value in time spent playing instead of time spent playing it + time spent enjoying having played it.

If you're unwilling to cash out $15 for 3-5 hours of fresh, imaginative interactive entertainment, then... I don't even know. Good luck with your next best sandbox game and shooter, I guess.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By trophyhunter

Well honestly no download game is worth 10 or 15 bucks.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Venatio

I think it has a great look going on but I won't pay 1200 for it

I'll wait for a deal of the week thing

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By megalowho

I got to admit I'm very hesitant to pay $15 bucks for this, despite all the praise. If Limbo comes out on PC you just know it'll be 4.99 or less on Steam come holiday season. Come to think of it I've paid $4.99 or less on Steam for games with tons of content and high praise. Hell I just got the Introversion pack a few weeks ago for 5 bucks and that's 4 whole great games right there.

As much as I like supporting small developers doing good, I also want to vote with my wallet that $15 should not be the de facto price for downloadable titles on XBLA if the content just isn't there.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By phantomzxro
    @sixghost said:
    "@phantomzxro said:
    " I will say that i still think it is a great game but yeah i agree that it is not worth 15 bucks. I feel it would have been perfect to start off the summer arcade with this game at 10 bucks and it would have got everyone buying it. I find it hard to believe most of the games in summer of arcade are worth 15 bucks. Maybe monday night combat and lora coft but i think it has more to do with 15 bucks turning into the new base price for downloadable games. "
    Well you say it's 3.5 hours for $15. Would you feel ripped off if you bought a regular $60 game that was 14 hours long and great? "

I did not say that here but to your question it would depend, i'm expecting much more from a game when i pay 60 dollars and if a game running at about 10 to 15 hours even if it is great it will be a toss up because i feel it is on the short side. So in saying that if there is no other lasting factor in the game it will be a  50/50 if i get the game or not. This game won out and so did heavy rain, but i can't say the same for splinter cell or alan wake.  Also limbo is a harder sell because after your first run you will beat the game in a hour to 2 hours tops, so replay is low if unless your want to s-rank it. Lucky tho the game is a really great game and i want to support up and coming game makers.
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By phantomzxro
    @megalowho said:
    "I got to admit I'm very hesitant to pay $15 bucks for this, despite all the praise. If Limbo comes out on PC you just know it'll be 4.99 or less on Steam come holiday season. Come to think of it I've paid $4.99 or less on Steam for games with tons of content and high praise. Hell I just got the Introversion pack a few weeks ago for 5 bucks and that's 4 whole great games right there. As much as I like supporting small developers doing good, I also want to vote with my wallet that $15 should not be the de facto price for downloadable titles on XBLA if the content just isn't there. "

Yeah i agree  in what you said and is very much my line of thinking which is hard because we all want to support small developers but also we don't want every game turning into a 15 dollar game just because they want more money.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I was going to buy it until I found out that it's $15. I would have got it if it was $10, buut now I think I'll wait for a price drop.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sixghost
    @phantomzxro said:
    " @sixghost said:
    "@phantomzxro said:
    Well you say it's 3.5 hours for $15. Would you feel ripped off if you bought a regular $60 game that was 14 hours long and great? "
    I did not say that here but to your question it would depend, i'm expecting much more from a game when i pay 60 dollars and if a game running at about 10 to 15 hours even if it is great it will be a toss up because i feel it is on the short side. So in saying that if there is no other lasting factor in the game it will be a  50/50 if i get the game or not. This game won out and so did heavy rain, but i can't say the same for splinter cell or alan wake.  Also limbo is a harder sell because after your first run you will beat the game in a hour to 2 hours tops, so replay is low if unless your want to s-rank it. Lucky tho the game is a really great game and i want to support up and coming game makers. "
    Oops, I thought you were also the OP. I don't know where you've been for the past 3-4 years, but a 15 hour game is on the long side these days. Unless you plan to only play open world games with time sinks like collectables and sidequests, I don't think you will find too many great games that run longer than that
    DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DharmaBum
    @megalowho said:

"If Limbo comes out on PC you just know it'll be 4.99 or less on Steam come holiday season."

I highly doubt it would be marked down at initial release, on any subsequent platform. The developer needs time to make money, then we will see it 'on sale' in the future.
    Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tsukiyomi

I do agree that it isn't worth 1200 MSP but I also agree with this:

@Meowayne said:

" Look, someone who measures game value in time spent playing instead of time spent playing it + time spent enjoying having played it.   If you're unwilling to cash out $15 for 3-5 hours of fresh, imaginative interactive entertainment, then... I don't even know. Good luck with your next best sandbox game and shooter, I guess. "

There are plenty of long, drawn-out experiences of which only a 2 or 3 hour segment is actually any good, and yet people still fork out $60/£39.99 for them.
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By phantomzxro
    @sixghost said:
    "@phantomzxro said:
    " @sixghost said:
    "@phantomzxro said:
    I did not say that here but to your question it would depend, i'm expecting much more from a game when i pay 60 dollars and if a game running at about 10 to 15 hours even if it is great it will be a toss up because i feel it is on the short side. So in saying that if there is no other lasting factor in the game it will be a  50/50 if i get the game or not. This game won out and so did heavy rain, but i can't say the same for splinter cell or alan wake.  Also limbo is a harder sell because after your first run you will beat the game in a hour to 2 hours tops, so replay is low if unless your want to s-rank it. Lucky tho the game is a really great game and i want to support up and coming game makers. "
    Oops, I thought you were also the OP. I don't know where you've been for the past 3-4 years, but a 15 hour game is on the long side these days. Unless you plan to only play open world games with time sinks like collectables and sidequests, I don't think you will find too many great games that run longer than that "

15 hour game are on the long side these days really? I think that depends on what games you play. If your playing alan wake and call of duty single player then maybe so. But rpgs and adventure games still will clock you in at 30+ hours. Fallout 3, Mass Effect 3,  dragon age, and demon souls  are great examples of that.  Now i don't think every game need to be super long or even long but when your hitting close to the 2 hour mark on gameplay time you should not be pushing a higer price.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @DriveupLife said:
    " I was itching for something new to play. Limbo came out, so I bought it. Very disappointed with what I got. No more than 3 1/2 hours of gameplay, and no re playability. Don't mention the eggs, that's not re playability to me. Sorry artsy people, discussing the ambiguous and lame ending to a game does not add to its value or make it worth a purchase. As for the rest of the summer line up, I'm only getting Castlevania. I'm sure other people feel this way, so don't start flaming me. Or do, since it's a free country. "
    I like how you apologize to "artsy people."
    redgauss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By redgauss
    @DriveupLife:  I just came on to say that your icon is rad. Robin Williams as the Genie as Rodney Dangerfield. Too awesome. 

As for the topic goes, I don't have a 360 and I don't think that 3.5 hours for $15 is all that unusual these days. The times they are a changin'.
    TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By TheBlackPigeon
    @DriveupLife:
    I am an artsy person, and I feel that $15 is a fair asking price for this small wonder.

However, your apology is accepted.  

Philistine.   : d
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bionicicide

I would've bought it at 800 MSP, instead I spoiled everything by watching an online playthrough done in an hour. Defenders of Limbo may also bring up the "8 hour $60" games, but I have the option to recoup at least 66% if they don't have any replay value and they just have incredible production values compared to Limbo's silhouettes.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By Icemael
    @Meowayne said:

" Look, someone who measures game value in time spent playing instead of time spent playing it + time spent enjoying having played it."

But unless a game teaches you skills you can apply to situations unrelated to said game, has a story that you can't fully appreciate until you've let it simmer for a while/grown older (in case you're like eight and don't understand stuff like social commentary), or is something your friends have also played so you can discuss it postmortem, surely the time you spend enjoying having played it is directly proportionate to how much you enjoyed playing it?

The way I see it, the only proper way to measure a game's value is to look at how much fun you have per second (or minute, or hour), and then multiply by however many seconds (or minutes, or hours) the game takes to finish. Of course, you can't really break it down to an exact science (the idea of sitting down and going "So I this game was 200 fun per hour, and took five hours to finish, so that makes it exactly 1000 good" is absurd), but I trust you understand what I'm trying to get at.
    BagSquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BagSquad

I am pretty loaded, in cash terms, so maybe I have different perspective then most, but come on. It's 15 dollars, Jesus Christ. You would easily pay $20 for a DVD of some shitty movie, but you wouldn't spend $15 for an exponentially more enjoyable experience? I mean really, 15 dollars is very close to the price of a movie ticket, if not under in some cases. And this game is more enjoyable and worthwhile than a lot of the movies I paid full price for recently.

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MancombSeepgood
    @BagSquad said:
    " I am pretty loaded, in cash terms, so maybe I have different perspective then most, but come on. It's 15 dollars, Jesus Christ. You would easily pay $20 for a DVD of some shitty movie, but you wouldn't spend $15 for an exponentially more enjoyable experience? I mean really, 15 dollars is very close to the price of a movie ticket, if not under in some cases. And this game is more enjoyable and worthwhile than a lot of the movies I paid full price for recently. "
    This. I don't understand why people think games absoloutely have to be really long to be good. Portal wasn't long and cost a similar price, if not more (memory is failing me right now). 
    I bought this game straight away and haven't looked back. It was a great game just for the experience, and as has been said, I've bought things for fifteen dollars with a lot less entertainment value than this game.
    megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By megalowho
    @MancombSeepgood said:

" @BagSquad said:

" I am pretty loaded, in cash terms, so maybe I have different perspective then most, but come on. It's 15 dollars, Jesus Christ. You would easily pay $20 for a DVD of some shitty movie, but you wouldn't spend $15 for an exponentially more enjoyable experience? I mean really, 15 dollars is very close to the price of a movie ticket, if not under in some cases. And this game is more enjoyable and worthwhile than a lot of the movies I paid full price for recently. "

This. I don't understand why people think games absoloutely have to be really long to be good. Portal wasn't long and cost a similar price, if not more (memory is failing me right now).  I bought this game straight away and haven't looked back. It was a great game just for the experience, and as has been said, I've bought things for fifteen dollars with a lot less entertainment value than this game. "
    But we've all also spent less than $15 on games or any number of things that have high entertainment value, or just value in general. Games don't have to be long or complex to be good at all. They can be short and simple and fantastic, many are. I just want them to be priced accordingly to their development costs/content offered because publishers will always try to push the envelope with pricing, especially in the volatile downloadble space. As a consumer I have a right to say no, looks like fun but in my opinion you're asking too much for this right here. And yeah I can afford it but that's really not the point, at least for me.     
    Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MancombSeepgood
    @megalowho said:
    " @MancombSeepgood said:

" @BagSquad said:

This. I don't understand why people think games absoloutely have to be really long to be good. Portal wasn't long and cost a similar price, if not more (memory is failing me right now).  I bought this game straight away and haven't looked back. It was a great game just for the experience, and as has been said, I've bought things for fifteen dollars with a lot less entertainment value than this game. "
    But we've all also spent less than $15 on games or any number of things that have high entertainment value, or just value in general. Games don't have to be long or complex to be good at all. They can be short and simple fantastic, many are. I just want them to be priced accordingly to their development costs/content offered because publishers will always try to push the envelope with pricing, especially in the volatile downloadble space. As a consumer I have a right to say no, looks like fun but in my opinion you're asking too much for this right here. And yeah I can afford it but that's really not the point, at least for me.      "
    I see where you're coming from, it's just that I look at some of the other tripe that is sold at the same price on XBLA and just wonder to myself. Limbo seems to have been an incredibly divisive game in many different ways.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want $15 to be the new price for an arcade game, when I can get the superb GTA IV DLC for $15.  That has a lot of content, too.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    Frostler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Frostler

I would have bought it if it was $10 but fiteen pushes it. I'm looking forward to Monday night combat and thats about it so far.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By agentboolen

Seems like every year these games get more exspensive, 1st year $5, 2nd year $10 and now they want $15 for everything!!!  Its a rip off.  Before it felt like a good deal, now I feel like most of the games aren't worth what there charging.  I'm planning on getting Hydro Thunder but even that $15 price tag bothers me, for $15 that freakin game better get a lot of play.  Since its online it should but still $15 sucks.  I feel like for $10 everyone would buy it.

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thehexeditor

Back in my day, games used to cost a few bucks! You could get a spoonful of ice cream for a penny! Nyeeehh! Darn prices these days, I *takes a breath from oxygen tank* 

What were we talking about?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Diamond

I think it's actually kinda interesting how hard it is for people to evaluate the value of a game versus its price.

People come from different perspectives and play games for different reasons.  Some people just want a distraction from the real world, an escape.  It doesn't matter to them how good a game is.  Some people want to appreciate a game that does something no other games do.  There are so many reasons.

To me Limbo at $15 would be a bit of a hard call.  I bought it, I'm reasonably satisfied.  It doesn't have so much to do with the length as just what the game is.  I've definitely spent money in worse ways many times.

petitfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By petitfool

In my opinion, I don't care for measuring price by time. I measure price by experience. And Limbo's unique experience is definitely worth my 15$.

memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By memo

very art driven game but the 3 hr mark on that game has me holding back on purchasing it.  I'm all for artistic games but that's a high price for me put down.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By WalkerTR77

I understand why people might feel that way, if the game doesn't resonate with you then all you have is a solid 3 or so hour dreary Mario game.

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By mau64

Yeah its been getting a ton of praise but I figured their would be some out there that would hate it. Sucks to hear you didn't like it. The castlevania game seems cool but I really want the Tomb Raider game.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Andorski

In my opinion... pickles are nasty.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DrPockets000

I'm going to laugh my fucking ass off if Castlevania is only a 3-4 hour game.

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By vendetta

Hours =/= Value

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Julmust

I had a good time and it was nicely executed, so the price didn't matter really. If it costed double I would've been mad.

I'm not really into the whole "I have to get this X hours out of a game that costs X"-thing, but sometimes I too draw a line. Limbo did not cross it.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Huey2k2
    @DriveupLife said:

" I was itching for something new to play. Limbo came out, so I bought it. Very disappointed with what I got. No more than 3 1/2 hours of gameplay, and no re playability. Don't mention the eggs, that's not re playability to me. Sorry artsy people, discussing the ambiguous and lame ending to a game does not add to its value or make it worth a purchase. As for the rest of the summer line up, I'm only getting Castlevania. I'm sure other people feel this way, so don't start flaming me. Or do, since it's a free country. "

How much money do you spend on a movie ticket?

$15?

And most movies are only an hour and a half or so long. You only get to watch it the one time at the theatre, and you don't own it.

If you think that $15 is too much money to spend on the bare minimum of ~3.5 hours of entertainment... that is assuming you choose not to play the game again. You are extremely cheap.
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By schizogony

I would never buy an XBLA game for more than 800 points.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Clinkz

It seems like everybody on the forums regrets buying this game.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nekroskop

Downloadable consolegames are rediculously overpriced IMO. Hell, you could get 3 games on steam for that price. Good ones too. 
    I hope this gets ported to PC. Lately I can't stand to play games that are sub 1080P 

The_Painted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The_Painted

Different perspectives I suppose. I thoroughly enjoyed Limbo, because it was a rather unique experience and had a very appealing art style. I feel the same way about Flower, which I would have gladly payed more than $10 it.  Both games were a refreshing change from what's been coming out for the past couple of years.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RVonE

From what I've seen of it, it seems like a very nice game. However, for some reason I think 15 EUR (or 19 USD) is just too much for a game like this. Maybe I'll buy it when I'm high on something.
    TsuHai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TsuHai

I got through it the first time very fast (less than 3 hours).
    I think 1200 Pts for such a short game is very expensive, but i don't regret it because it had incredible moments.

dezvous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By dezvous

Limbo is fantastic. I loved every second and I don't regret paying the 15 dollars for it. 

That doesn't however mean that I think it shouldn't have been cheaper. I think 10 dollars makes a lot more sense, maybe cheaper, especially because it's so short. Especially for a game like this, would have loved to part with even more money if this game was actually like 10 hours long.

Consider this. Limbo is 1/4th the price of your average game. I'd be willing to wager that far less than 1/4th the time, money, and man power went into Limbo than compared to your 60 dollar game. 

It just doesn't seem right does it? Considering a lot more people are willing to part with 15 dollars and this would potentially net the creator of the game an inordinate amount of money for their disproportional amount of time spent on the game. 

A lower price doesn't take anything away from Limbo.

GanglyMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GanglyMonster

Not worth 1200 Microsoft points.
    Too short
    Too easy
    No attempt to make a story
    This years Braid? not so much

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By George_Hukas

"OH.. MAYBE if it was $10"  God, just admit your poor and shut the fuck about games being too much 

$15 is NOTHING... I'm starting to think people here are just 14 or don't have jobs.. Every thread is becoming about a fucking meaningless $=hr. ratio than the actual game.. 

Poor saps

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By asurastrike

A couple years ago Limbo would have gone for 5 dollars. But last year $10 was the new $5, and this year $15 is the new $10.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By niamahai
    @cide said:
    " "OH.. MAYBE if it was $10"  God, just admit your poor and shut the fuck about games being too much   $15 is NOTHING... I'm starting to think people here are just 14 or don't have jobs.. Every thread is becoming about a fucking meaningless $=hr. ratio than the actual game..   Poor saps "

to them FF13 have the best $=hr ratio, thus it is the bestest game.

c'mon. Look at the credits. Less than 30 people worked on this amazing game. $15 is a nominal price to pay to experience this beauty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.