Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Limbo

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jul 21, 2010

A young boy seeks to rescue his lost sister from the dreary, dangerous world of Limbo in this monochrome puzzle-platformer.

Limbo Impressions

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By Deathawk

So I bought Limbo yesterday, and I'm kind of liking it. Truth be told, I actually have a love-hate thing going on with the game, it's great when it's doing it's own unique thing but occasionally it goes for traditional puzzle trapping. The game's unique spots seem to be how it blends puzzles with survial aspects almost seemingly. The best puzzles in the game you don't even realize are puzzles. Take for example an early one where two bear traps fly at you, the soloution involves moving your character at just the right time, just the right way in order to dodge them. These puzzles are fast, fun and keep you moving. On the other hand there are more traditional puzzles that lock you into a room and involve placing blocks just so. These puzzles feel out of place in this game slow down the pacing and just aren't fun. The game also seems fond of dropping egg parasites on your head making it so they can only move one way, these sections also feel out of place, and seem like a crutch for "we couldn't think of anything cool for this section so here's this". So far it looks like I'll be pressing onward with this. Hopefully the game keeps doing what it does best more, while doing the other stuff less.

No Caption Provided
    Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Deathawk

So I bought Limbo yesterday, and I'm kind of liking it. Truth be told, I actually have a love-hate thing going on with the game, it's great when it's doing it's own unique thing but occasionally it goes for traditional puzzle trapping. The game's unique spots seem to be how it blends puzzles with survial aspects almost seemingly. The best puzzles in the game you don't even realize are puzzles. Take for example an early one where two bear traps fly at you, the soloution involves moving your character at just the right time, just the right way in order to dodge them. These puzzles are fast, fun and keep you moving. On the other hand there are more traditional puzzles that lock you into a room and involve placing blocks just so. These puzzles feel out of place in this game slow down the pacing and just aren't fun. The game also seems fond of dropping egg parasites on your head making it so they can only move one way, these sections also feel out of place, and seem like a crutch for "we couldn't think of anything cool for this section so here's this". So far it looks like I'll be pressing onward with this. Hopefully the game keeps doing what it does best more, while doing the other stuff less.

No Caption Provided
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

Personally I found it to be very, very depressing and not really that fun to play.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I've wanted to buy it for so long but I never do.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShaggE

I love it in theory, but when the parasite puzzles started, my interest waned rapidly. The first hour or so, though... man, great stuff.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Castiel

I think the game is great and the best downloadable game I have ever played. The controls are simple but elegant, the look of the game is cool/unique, the simplistic sounddesign is great/atmospheric and the hinted story is refreshing.

Also Limbo isn't as prententious as the overrated Braid. Braid is a terrible puzzler.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By jacksukeru

It's fine, I guess. I mostly lost interest once you left the creepy forest, and that giant spider(!), behind.

There's far too little sound in the game. I mean, it starts playing this thick "UUUUUUuuuuu" sound sometimes, but it's way too short and light to leave much of an impression.

The later parts do occasionally have a nice look to them with some effects that give them a bit of atmosphere (like rain), but otherwise the visuals could use some...color...or a bit more depth.

All in all I found it pretty hard to give much of a crap after a while, it just didn't inspire any strong emotions at all.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Vexxan

One of my favorite XBLA games, loved every bit of it. I found the lack of music/sound in general to add a lot to the game's atmosphere.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By audiosnow

I thoroughly enjoyed it; although I found my enjoyment diminished slightly when I reached the later industrial areas. The oppressive atmosphere bowed to cliche a bit at that point.

Striking visuals, brilliant sound design, chilling characters and story (if you've an imagination for horror), and decently-engineered puzzles.

As a game that succeeds most greatly in its atmosphere and insinuation, it's one of the best pieces of "video game art" I've experienced.

Oh, and I found the head worms to be one of the most stunningly grotesque things I've seen in a game yet.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grillbar

i had to buy it since its developed by danish guys and i know the sound guy so i am allmost forced by law. loved it.

and yes i allso had to buy kane and lynch 2. urgh

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ProfessorEss

I found it interesting and entertaining, but nowhere near the same level to which most critics seems to have found it.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By fini_fly

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the difficulty in the puzzles were just right. The atmosphere is really where it deserves it accolades as it accomplishes exactly what it set out to do and immerse the player into the depressive world. At the end, I really thought that you end up back at the beginning. That would have made it perfect for me.

Brando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Brando

Way, way too much trial and error. Most puzzles you have to die 3-4 times or more before things work out. It's actually somewhat sad to see a little dude chopped into six pieces when you mess up. Unfortunately, the demo seems to have been a bit misleading; lots of charm there, but the full game soon descends into a lot of repetition. I don't get the 5 star rating, either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.