Limbo Will Soon Haunt the PlayStation 3 and Steam [UPDATED]

• 102 results
Posted by Alex (2124 posts) -

Update: Rather than write a whole other story, figured I'd just update this one. Sony's PlayStation Facebook page has confirmed that a PSN port of Limbo will be coming this July, and Playdead co-founder Dino Patti confirmed elsewhere that the team is also working on a PC version to be released on Steam. Both ports are being worked on by the Playdead team internally.

Here's to more people being able to experience horrifying child death (and really excellent gameplay)!

--

Into a Limbo large and broad, PlayStation 3 owners may soon be headed.

Games don't get much more metal than Limbo.

Once deemed an Xbox Live Arcade exclusive by the developers themselves, Danish studio Playdead's award-winning puzzle-platformer Limbo appears to be set for a release on additional platforms in the foreseeable future, with the Korean ratings board having just rated a PSN version of the title.

This would seem to back up some earlier rumors that the game may no longer be an Xbox 360 exclusive by various NeoGAF users, who dug up a hidden trailer for the game on Steam. While no word of a PC version has leaked out since this trailer popped up, the addition of today's PSN rating seems to suggest that the exclusivity for the title has come to an end.

Playdead has also reportedly been working on a new title following the success of Limbo's original release. The studio has yet to officially announce what the game is, but previously stated that it was an all-new IP that fans of Limbo would nonetheless feel right at home with it.

Limbo garnered a five-star rating from our own Brad Shoemaker, and made a number of our personal top 10 lists last year (including the very tippy top of mine). Any opportunity that exists to get more people to play this hauntingly beautiful, darkly clever little game can't be viewed as anything but a good thing.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (2124 posts) -

Update: Rather than write a whole other story, figured I'd just update this one. Sony's PlayStation Facebook page has confirmed that a PSN port of Limbo will be coming this July, and Playdead co-founder Dino Patti confirmed elsewhere that the team is also working on a PC version to be released on Steam. Both ports are being worked on by the Playdead team internally.

Here's to more people being able to experience horrifying child death (and really excellent gameplay)!

--

Into a Limbo large and broad, PlayStation 3 owners may soon be headed.

Games don't get much more metal than Limbo.

Once deemed an Xbox Live Arcade exclusive by the developers themselves, Danish studio Playdead's award-winning puzzle-platformer Limbo appears to be set for a release on additional platforms in the foreseeable future, with the Korean ratings board having just rated a PSN version of the title.

This would seem to back up some earlier rumors that the game may no longer be an Xbox 360 exclusive by various NeoGAF users, who dug up a hidden trailer for the game on Steam. While no word of a PC version has leaked out since this trailer popped up, the addition of today's PSN rating seems to suggest that the exclusivity for the title has come to an end.

Playdead has also reportedly been working on a new title following the success of Limbo's original release. The studio has yet to officially announce what the game is, but previously stated that it was an all-new IP that fans of Limbo would nonetheless feel right at home with it.

Limbo garnered a five-star rating from our own Brad Shoemaker, and made a number of our personal top 10 lists last year (including the very tippy top of mine). Any opportunity that exists to get more people to play this hauntingly beautiful, darkly clever little game can't be viewed as anything but a good thing.

Staff
#2 Edited by jackdawkins (10 posts) -

[UPDATED] word.

oh ratings boards

@phrosnite said:

Where is ma PC version? Racists!

also this

#3 Posted by TheMeat (63 posts) -

Cool. I look forward to checking it out. There's really no reason for downloadable games to be exclusive anymore.

#4 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
I'll pass. Didn't like what I've seen and played of the 360 version.
#5 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Where is ma PC version? Racists!

#6 Posted by ajamafalous (11990 posts) -

@TheMeat said:

Cool. I look forward to checking it out. There's really no reason for downloadable games to be exclusive anymore.

Well, besides marketing money for these indie games.

#7 Posted by MisterMouse (3553 posts) -

always good to see indie games like this expand out a bit.

#8 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

Lame. I already watched the ending on Youtube after Brad talked about it, thinking I'd never get to play it.

#9 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

Very cool. I'll have to play it.

#10 Posted by Sparklykiss (1964 posts) -

Cool! It's nice to see this game branch out.

#11 Posted by Hauntedsoul (9 posts) -
@pyromaster222: Just sucks when they are held hostage by the big boys for so long.
#12 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

Cool im rather excited since i dont own a 360, happy days.

#13 Posted by Soffish (139 posts) -

Awesome. More people get to experience Limbo and Playdead makes more money, everyone wins.

#14 Posted by metalsnakezero (2295 posts) -

Limbo vs Journey, who will win!?

#15 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

Thank god, this game looks great.

#16 Posted by Wicked_Wumpus (174 posts) -

Finally! I thought this day would never come

#17 Posted by buft (3316 posts) -

I can recommend this for anybody on PSN, the game is great but short

#18 Posted by JackSukeru (5911 posts) -

I feel like I've already had it ruined for me by other people talking about it, but if it comes out I'll give it a go.

#19 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I wish it would be ported to the PC as well....

#20 Posted by Sanj (2387 posts) -

Awesome!

#21 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I'll wait one more year for the PC port. if it isn't out in one year, i'll buy it from the PS store

#22 Posted by Brake (1099 posts) -

I'm still interested and if I've ever been spoiled about this game I've forgotten all about it.

#23 Posted by SSully (4185 posts) -

Well its a race for this game to PS3 or PC. Which ever it comes to first is the one I buy it on.

#24 Posted by Master_Funk (733 posts) -

I will play this

#25 Posted by DeF (4885 posts) -

I've played it already but I really hope it comes to PSN/PC soon so the rest of the gaming world can join us lucky ones :D

#26 Posted by Surkov (992 posts) -

Yes!

#27 Posted by AuthenticM (3724 posts) -

Yes! Sold!

#28 Posted by weavminas (84 posts) -

So hopefully a year from now we'll see an article "Get Trenched on PSN"

#29 Posted by reson8er (31 posts) -

Does Limbo have any replay value, aside from Achievements/Trophies?

#30 Posted by copycatzen (816 posts) -

Fuck I'll take it, but I also want TMNT

#31 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I'll wait for the PC port.

#32 Posted by probablytuna (3654 posts) -

Great news, hope it turns out to be true.

#33 Posted by Garfield360UK (453 posts) -

Sounds good, the more who can experience this fantastic indie game the better.
#34 Posted by smitty86 (698 posts) -

Good god yes. I'm as excited as when I found out I could play Super Meat Boy on my laptop with my Ps3 controller.

Also, I'm somewhat disappointed to see no "Take my money now" Fry pics. You have failed me Giantbomb community.

#35 Posted by Runyan (18 posts) -

Lazy headlines will asks you to go to the fridge this summer.

#36 Posted by johnsonic7 (76 posts) -

I'd buy it.

#37 Posted by Spike94 (735 posts) -

Cooooool. Finally! Always wanted to check this out.
#38 Posted by Mordebir (134 posts) -

Good! I won't have to buy a 360 just to play this game.

#39 Posted by GetBentTheVideoGame (261 posts) -

"Limbo garnered a five-star rating from our own Brad Shoemaker, and made a number of our personal top 10 lists last year (including the very tippy top of mine)."

Also, Jeff had some opinions about it.

#40 Posted by dezvous (546 posts) -

I think I'm about to buy Limbo twice...

#41 Posted by sirdesmond (1240 posts) -
@metalsnakezero: Although Limbo was great overall, I really hope (and think) that Journey could come out the much stronger game. They don't seem to be entirely comparable experiences, but the overall atmosphere/mood of Journey along with its subtle and supposedly great multiplayer mechanics have me really excited.
#42 Posted by vexidus (123 posts) -

Awesome, I've wanted to play this ever since it came out, but don't have a 360. Will buy this day 1 on PSN!

#43 Posted by Beforet (2921 posts) -

Hm, I'd prefer it to come out of PC, which it just might apparently.

#44 Posted by tooPrime (344 posts) -

Hey, it's not that good.  I bought it on Brad's recommendation and comparisons to Braid, but Braid it is not!

#45 Posted by ninjakittyboxrz (46 posts) -

Hmmmmm... chances that Limbo comes to Steam?

Come ooooonnn Steam.

#46 Posted by Spoonman671 (4632 posts) -

At a new, low price?

#47 Posted by Brad (2997 posts) -

@tooPrime said:

Braid it is not!

You're right! It's better!

Staff
#48 Posted by Winternet (8018 posts) -

@Brad said:

@tooPrime said:

Braid it is not!

You're right! It's better!

Aaahhhh *whooshing sound* You did NOT say that. Retract that malicious and evil statement, now.

#49 Posted by DG991 (1344 posts) -

PC OR GTFOOOO

#50 Posted by ROBdaMOB (174 posts) -

i want super meat boy!!! i could get it on steam but id rather enjoy it on my tv

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.