Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Limbo

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jul 21, 2010

A young boy seeks to rescue his lost sister from the dreary, dangerous world of Limbo in this monochrome puzzle-platformer.

Maybe this site will be better ate explaining the appeal of LIMBO

Nik_NYG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Nik_NYG

Over at Gamefaqs I just got berated for being to simple minded to appreciate the 'art" and "atmosphere". It's not that, i just don't really think 3 hours of art and atmosphere make for a 15$ value. However, it'd be helpful if other people could explain why they felt this was 15 dollars well spent.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont know what ate is

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Venatio

Maybe he means apt?

Anyway, LIMBO isn't worth 1200 for me though I love the look

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DrPockets000

It's 3+ hours of tight platforming, devious puzzles and ingenious level design.  It's a triumph of 2D platforming.

crapneck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By crapneck

omnomnom

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By BrittonPeele
    @Nik_NYG said:
    " Over at Gamefaqs I just got berated for being to simple minded to appreciate the 'art" and "atmosphere". It's not that, i just don't really think 3 hours of art and atmosphere make for a 15$ value. However, it'd be helpful if other people could explain why they felt this was 15 dollars well spent. "
    You don't think 3 hours of art is worth $15? So I'm assuming you never spend money to go to movies or buy DVDs? Because those are 3 hours or shorter. 

It's weird. I completely understand why people worry about not getting enough bang for their buck, but they constantly spend money on things that are just as short or shorter. And heck, back in the day, a $70 N64 game may have lasted fewer than 10 hours, but that was OK. Personally, when I take my girlfriend out for an even semi-nice dinner, I easily spend $20 or so. $15 for a piece of art that I really enjoy seems like a good value to me.

That said, NOT everyone is going to feel the same way. Some people may not appreciate it for what it is. But I, personally, do.

For the record, I finished LIMBO last night at just under 4 hours, without the use of a walkthrough. Yes, it was short, but I felt fulfilled by the end, and I intend to play it again at least once (I hardly got any achievements, for one thing.)
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpiralStairs

The game looks pretty pretentious to me. 

It's not art, it's just a platformer with a nice art style that tries to be artsy by telling story that's not actually a story.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nik_NYG: you should go play killzone 2 broski
    litrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By litrock

Hey, so these guys made an interesting game, right? And it makes people feel something and some people think and some people really just appreciate the beauty. Like a movie, or a painting, or something ... y'know, artistic. And then because they want to get paid, they try to sell it. 15 dollars seems pretty good considering how much time and money goes into games. Hell, that's less than you pay for a 3D ticket these days, and that only lasts 90 minutes and you don't get to keep it.  Sooooo ... longer than a movie, but costs less? For an interesting experience, that sounds pretty good to me.   

Oh?  You mean you insist on buying games that are X fun per hour or Y hours per dollar or no buy?  Maybe you never heard of Super Mario Brothers, which was $50 and could be beaten in about an hour. Or Portal, which initially sold for $20 and lasts about 3.  Are those not enough hours per dollar for you? What exactly do you want out of your games? 

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MancombSeepgood
    @SpiralStairs said:
    " The game looks pretty pretentious to me.   It's not art, it's just a platformer with a nice art style that tries to be artsy by telling story that's not actually a story. "
    It doesn't tell a story at all, it practically leaves everything to interpretation. The short snippet of story is told in the description on the XBLA and that's it, the rest is up to you.
    As for being pretentious, nothing can steal that crown from Braid, so yeah. I love Limbo anyway, it's just split the crowd straight down the middle it seems.
    SpaceDandie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By SpaceDandie

If you have to ask why then you would never truly understand the appeal.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DrPockets000
    @MrStool said:
    " If you have to ask why then you would never truly understand the appeal. "
    /thread
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By FireBurger

I liked it. I'm not going to argue "It's art, man!" because, frankly, I don't care whether it is or not. To me, it was worth $15 because the platforming was tight, the puzzles were fun/challenging, and the minimalist presentation creates a very stark, ominous, but still charming ambiance. As for the story: one could argue that having no story and saying "look it's art because it's ambiguous" is a pretentious and cheap way of creating "art." However, unlike Mario, another game with platforming and no story, the changing environments and unanswered questions the game presents allow Limbo to walk to that fine line between stupid, pretentious "art" and a thought-provoking experience, whether art or not.

In my opinion. :)

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By OllyOxenFree

i just ated this thread

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead

I've played about 40% so far and feel like I have my money's worth. It's the best 2D platformer in decades and has a real sense of menace to it, something a lot of games don't have. I was more creeped out by that huge spider than anything in a modern horror game.

Nik_NYG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nik_NYG
    @hedfone said:
    " @Nik_NYG: you should go play killzone 2 broski "
    ah there's that false sense of superiority I've been waiting for.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mazik765
    @Nik_NYG said:
    " Over at Gamefaqs I just got berated for being to simple minded to appreciate the 'art" and "atmosphere". It's not that, i just don't really think 3 hours of art and atmosphere make for a 15$ value. However, it'd be helpful if other people could explain why they felt this was 15 dollars well spent. "
    Maybe not to you, but people pay a lot of money for artistic items. Just because the game doesn't appeal to what you were looking for doesn't mean it isn't worth $15.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Nik_NYG said:
    " @hedfone said:
    " @Nik_NYG: you should go play killzone 2 broski "
    ah there's that false sense of superiority I've been waiting for. "
    It makes a nice change from your real sense of superiority.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

If any of you think good art justifies a price tag I'd be happy to direct you to several free art museums that are open to the public. 

In all honesty this is an 800 point game, and that is what it should have been. The graphics are simplistic and quickly fade into lifeless husks, the puzzles aren't that entirely devious, and the whole experience ends on somewhat of a sour note. 

It's a good game, but it isn't that good. If you people think this is the epitome of platforming in our modern times then I have only to assume that you've just started gaming because while it does control well and it is fun to play, brother let me tell you that you can do a lot better. 

Then again if all you play on is the 360 I really wouldn't be that surprised if you thought this was "the shit."

Ashby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ashby
    @LordXavierBritish: 
    Oh SNAP, sir.

In any case, I'm not sure of the value of saying that it IS or it ISN'T "worth" the price. Whether it's worth it or not depends on the person, as the forum clearly shows. I found certain moments (but not the entire game) emotionally resounding, and I mostly had a blast playing it, so I therefore do not regret the purchase. We all know how long it is, the art style and visuals, and how much it costs. It's pretty easy to judge for yourself whether it's worth it before purchasing.
    Tsukiyomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tsukiyomi
    @Nik_NYG said:

" However, it'd be helpful if other people could explain why they felt this was 15 dollars well spent. "

http://www.giantbomb.com/limbo/61-30380/reviews/

Sums it up for me.
    BagSquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By BagSquad
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " If any of you think good art justifies a price tag I'd be happy to direct you to several free art museums that are open to the public.  In all honesty this is an 800 point game, and that is what it should have been. The graphics are simplistic and quickly fade into lifeless husks, the puzzles aren't that entirely devious, and the whole experience ends on somewhat of a sour note.  It's a good game, but it isn't that good. If you people think this is the epitome of platforming in our modern times then I have only to assume that you've just started gaming because while it does control well and it is fun to play, brother let me tell you that you can do a lot better.  Then again if all you play on is the 360 I really wouldn't be that surprised if you thought this was "the shit." "
    fuck.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By bacongames

Read the review from GiantBomb, GameSpot, IGN, 1UP, Game Informer etc. and decide if what they're saying is appealing to your taste and worth the cover charge.  It's okay to want a game cheaper but it means you have to wait for a discount that may not come.  The good thing is it won't get more expensive.

I certainly didn't buy Braid for $15 because well it's full price and I knew it would be on sale eventually.  Sadly being a XBLM only game there's really a slimmer chance of that.

Honestly though people are paid a salary as a professional to tell you what the appeal of a game is.

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By amoremono1
    @HandsomeDead said:
    "I was more creeped out by that huge spider than anything in a modern horror game. "

This.  I say the creepy atmosphere in this game easily trumps Dead Space..
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By EpicSteve
    @SpiralStairs said:
    " The game looks pretty pretentious to me.   It's not art, it's just a platformer with a nice art style that tries to be artsy by telling story that's not actually a story. "
    BAM! For all you guys writing reviews, this is all that's needed.
    KyleDaniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KyleDaniels

I played the Trial and Limbo and it was simply amazing. By the way I'm going to say that it is also hard as fuck stoned out of your mind....but nice to look at : )

glanesb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27  Edited By glanesb

Being completely immersed inside a game for 20 minutes let alone 3-4 hours is worth double the price in my opinion. This game deserves all honors and dollars that come to it. True $15 for a good movie....a glass of good wine.....a great cigar...etc. There I think I made my point. This game is like an excellent wine. Swirl it around gently....take in the aroma.....then chug down the bastard and enjoy the burp...-smile-

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

The appeal of it? I was under the impression it was bad, and your mind could be trapped there forever if you mistook it for reality. I didn't realize people were actually trying to get that lost in their subconscious.

TheBalticOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheBalticOne
    @CrossTheAtlantic said:
    "

The appeal of it? I was under the impression it was bad, and your mind could be trapped there forever if you mistook it for reality. I didn't realize people were actually trying to get that lost in their subconscious.

"
    I see what you did there...
    noshitsherlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By noshitsherlock

I knew it looked awesome when I saw the first screens, and I had this feeling back then that this game would be something special, but I didn't know what it would be. Now I have played it through and its great, and the graphics, the style, the look of the whole thing is exactly what I wanted. Its also a fantastic platformer, that works on all the levels I was looking for. Its puzzling but its also fun, and the puzzles require skill and to solve and you feel smart for finishing them,  the controls are solid and each new mechanic is a delight - but also you feel great every time you help this little, troubled boy along on his disturbing journey. Finding out where he is headed, where the game is headed, is a fulfilling experience.  I fucking love this game.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31  Edited By Crono

It looks interesting but doesn't come off as "must play" to me.  I feel like I could watch a video of someone playing through the game and get nearly as much out of this game as if I were to play it myself.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By LegalBagel
    @SpiralStairs said:
    Harsher than I put it in my review, but I had a somewhat similar sentiment after playing it.  There's so little meat in the game (both gameplay and story-wise) that you're just left with a well-done, very short puzzle platformer with a cool sense of style.  All the elements of the setting and style are cool, but the game does nothing with it story-wise.  There's not even enough there to really try to interpret what most of the game was supposed to mean (if it was supposed to mean anything). 

Glad I played it and I enjoyed it, but not exactly well worth $15 compared to Braid / Portal / Shadow Complex and the rest of the short and sweet kings.  It seemed closer to a really really good flash game than something you would pay $15 for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.